• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
you guys convinced me.. pre-ordering GTAIV.

And doing it for the PS3 just to be a contrarian dick :p (I have a 360, though actually prefer sixaxis.)

Goldrusher

iz1fnk.jpg

Impressive car models. Clearly Mitsubishi vs. Subaru.

camineet

Banned
I'm new to GTA. I got myself PS2 versions of GTA III, VC and the Xbox version of SA last year. Played the hell out of all of them for a few days but didn't get far in each due to inexperience and spreading the time over all 3 games. I remember reading somewhere that the Xbox versions of III and VC are significantly improved over the original PS2 versions, is that true? I think III on PS2 is beautiful, though VC is kinda choppy. SA on Xbox is amazing. It's by far the largest game I've ever played.

alba

Little is the new Big
music section is what i really liked in previous GTAs... god i can't wait for more radios unveiling, this is sooo awesome :D

<3<3

Ranger X

camineet said:
I'm new to GTA. I got myself PS2 versions of GTA III, VC and the Xbox version of SA last year. Played the hell out of all of them for a few days but didn't get far in each due to inexperience and spreading the time over all 3 games. I remember reading somewhere that the Xbox versions of III and VC are significantly improved over the original PS2 versions, is that true? I think III on PS2 is beautiful, though VC is kinda choppy. SA on Xbox is amazing. It's by far the largest game I've ever played.

They are the same. There's less slowdown on Xbox and slightly better textures.

Tr4nce

Oh crikey, these screens are making me mad!!!!!!!!!!! CAN I HAVE THIS GAME NOW PLEASE R*??? F*ck, wouldn't it be epic if R* surprises us and decides to release this game 3 weeks earlier. That screen with the explosion is so incredible.

Dina

Himuro said:
I really hope IV's talk radio doesn't suck ass like San Andreas

Hoho, wait a sec. You mean Kchat? With Amy? With the reverend and his rocketchurch and the mom on anti-depressivia pills and the vampire hunting goth? With the dude from Lovefist and the nudist?

I loved that radio. Second only to the awesome Vrock. Actually, I think both are still on my iPod.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
borghe said:
you guys convinced me.. pre-ordering GTAIV.

And doing it for the PS3 just to be a contrarian dick :p (I have a 360, though actually prefer sixaxis.)

Preorder with amazon and get a free license plate.

Triforce-of-Hate said:
How's the framerate holding up, that's been the weakness plaguing the GTA series since it transitioned to 3D?

Most of the impressions have said the framerate is great. It isn't completely locked at 30fps, but it also isn't supposed to dip in a way that it'd distract you from the game.

Yasser

Himuro said:
Kchat and VCPR were in Vice City. I said San Andreas. I didn't like its talk radio.
dex was cool right up to the point he got shot in the head! "his brain is leaking! no time to cry, only time to die!" and lazlow's interview with og loc was great too, right from the start where he pronounces the name as one word

SolidSnakex said:
Most of the impressions have said the framerate is great. It isn't completely locked at 30fps, but it also isn't supposed to dip in a way that it'd distract you from the game.

That sounds great, hopefully it wont have the stuttering experience that GTA III and Vice City suffered from.

As an aside, this is a welcome treat for PS3 and 360 owners, it cant come any sooner!

God this game is gonna be amazing.

Is it obvious that there is going to be Television in this game? Fill it with all these commercials, and news and it could add alot to the atmosphere kinda like the Darkness, but funnier and better.

X26

Banned
VindicatorZ said:

Is it obvious that there is going to be Television in this game? Fill it with all these commercials, and news and it could add alot to the atmosphere kinda like the Darkness, but funnier and better.

And movie theatre's I hope

camineet

Banned
It would be nice if R* could lock everything @ a consistant 30fps.

I just picked up the Xbox version of GTA III, they definitally improved the framerate over the PS2 original, not by a huge amount but enough to notice. GTA III on Xbox also looks MUCH better than PS2 VC.

newsguy

eshwaaz said:
Is that blood splattered on the bullet-riddled windshield (passenger side) of the car on the left?
closeup01.jpg

Yes, this was confirmed in the MTV preview. He did mention that the blood texture will go away after a little bit.

I really want to know what is going on in the explosion pic. WTF is causing that? Can't be a chopper, it looks like a building demolition. It's really impressive nonetheless, and because of the randomness of cops on the floor and blood on windshields I'm inclined to believe it's not a cutscene.

According to GTAForums, an easter egg was found when OPM played GTA4. They shot a pigeon and it explained then a message popped up saying "1 of 100 flying rats". The Rockstar rep told them they weren't supposed to find that.

Lol so killing animals confirmed? ;)

1206054951.jpg

What I'm liking in this shot is that not only do the buildings to the right look enterable (a bar for example) but that the windows in the buildings are lit up and it seems like you can even see inside some of them. I wonder if we can look into apartments, and actually go into the elevator up to the floor and go in there. I'm sure we'll do that for some missions, but it'd be pretty amazing if they created tons of different apartments and homes we could barge into and rob.

Cdammen

VindicatorZ said:
LWhat I'm liking in this shot is that not only do the buildings to the right look enterable (a bar for example) but that the windows in the buildings are lit up and it seems like you can even see inside some of them.
I hope that Rockstar will use the same (or similar) tech that Realtime Worlds used in Crackdown on windows. I loved that you could look into and see a 3D space inside a 2D texture even though it was just like a floor and a bright light :)

Socreges

Banned
-viper- said:
The textures are getting worse and worse and worse. :(
Create a separate thread where you can debate such things. I just glanced at the first couple batches for comparison and the game looks little/no different. The major difference is that the game has a slightly grittier, more interesting look.

hitoshi

VindicatorZ said:
you can even see inside some of them

And if you look closer you can easily see that it's just a texture twisted and repeated over and over. So, no sweet dreams. But it still looks atmospheric, so no problem here.

kylej

Banned
Whoo boy now some neckbearded turd at G4 or Gamespot can sell their GTA4 360s on eBay in a month.

Microsoft - Where it's all about the fans.

newsguy

Socreges said:
...really? I spent December in Bogota. Interesting city, but I'm not sure what it would offer to entice Rockstar. No hills, no real bridges. I suppose the story would be interesting if they tie it to narco-trafficking, civil war, and corrupt government.

But yeah, I really don't believe they would ever seriously consider it.

wat :/

VindicatorZ said:

I don't want to say it's a fact that television will be in this game, but if the EGM preview is anything to go by then I can't see what else they are talking about.

"The humour extends beyond the story and the radio stations (hilarious DJ Lazlow returns) to new multimedia features that, unfortunately, we're not allowed to talk about yet."

I can think of nothing else ;) Although it does say "features", so maybe newspapers as well :)

And people stop saying the textures are crap, the game won't have this filter on it. I think previewers would have mentioned it.

Ranger X

Ballistics said:
And people stop saying the textures are crap, the game won't have this filter on it. I think previewers would have mentioned it.

I can't trust them this much. They probably didn't mind it or something. I'm betting its in the game just like previous GTAs had some filters going on anyways.
I hope there's an option to turn it off again. I always turned their stupid effects off in previous games in order for it to actually look better. I don't what they are thinking just by making those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom