• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graph-Age: Worldwide NDS & PSP cumulative monthly sales & shipments by region!

**CHECK THE LATEST POST FOR OCTOBER UPDATES!!!**

There's a lot of data on these graphs so take some time to try to understand them:
The cumulative sales by region are stacked along with the official shipment data; that way you can see the inventory to sales gap.

233014347_7eebc3c3f1_o.png

vs. (Revised - again)
232906197_c090ae8a64_o.png

Previous Data:
My estimated worldwide sales as of July | Shipped as of June:

NDS - 21.43m sold | shipped: 21.27m
PSP - 13.56m sold | shipped: 19.05m
Gap - 7.87m in sales!! but 2.22m in shipments...

Edit: thanks to new data the PSP & NDS numbers hav changed. New data:
Code:
NDS - 21.51m sold | shipped: 21.27m
[U]PSP -  14.56m sold | shipped: 19.05m [/U]
Gap - 6.95m in sales! but 2.22m in shipments...

It looks like Nintendo is still really struggling to ship enough NDSes WW while Sony can't stop producing PSPs.
If anyone has more accurate sales for PAL territories please tell me!
Could my PSP sales still be too low?

BTW this will be updated frequently when new data is made available...

**CHECK THE LAST POST FOR AUGUST UPDATES!!!**

lancubap

Square2005 said:
There's a lot of data on these graphs so take some time to try to understand them:
The cumulative sales by region are stacked along with the official shipment data; that way you can see the inventory to sales gap for each region.

232097292_d8ca635856_o.png

vs.
232092677_6eb46aa448_o.png

My estimated worldwide sales as of July | Shipped as of June:

NDS - 21.43m sold | shipped: 21.27m
PSP - 13.56m sold | shipped: 19.05m

Gap - 7.87m in sales!! but 2.22m in shipments...

It looks like Nintendo is still really struggling to ship enough NDSes WW while Sony can't stop producing PSPs.
If anyone has more accurate sales for PAL territories please tell me!
Could my PSP sales still be too low?

BTW this will be updated frequently when new data is made available...

Good estimation with realistic numbers. Nothing more to say.

jarrod said:
4.58m? Seems rather "safe" really... if anything the DS being 5.31m seems a little low.
I doubt it. I remember those PSP numbers coming from a loooong time ago. DS numbers were from the GC, correct?

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Can you source yours?
I'm not disputing any figures really... I guess that's a "no" on your part then?

What exactly do you estimate EU & NA should be for PSP btw?

Shiggy

typhonsentra said:
Probably not too far off from teh 6 million figure they quoted at GC.

I'd guess it is. In Germany PSP sold 385.000 units, while the DS sold one million. In Europe DS sold as of early July 5 million times, PSP should be far away from this figure, at least the French and UK charts do indicate that this is the case.

Shiggy said:
I'd guess it is. In Germany PSP sold 385.000 units, while the DS sold one million. In Europe DS sold as of early July 5 million times, PSP should be far away from this figure, at least the French and UK charts do indicate that this is the case.
Doubtful. Germany and UK aren't the only two countries in the PAL. But even then, PSP has set several sales records in the UK and has reportedly done very well overall.

typhonsentra said:
Those PSP sales figures for PAL are kinda old methinks. Not to mention you really lowballed the PSP NA numbers.

http://www.vgcharts.org/usaconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=PSP&type=2

ioi's nos. are always too high. He adds 15% for Canada on all systems. We now know that (at launch) the NDS sold ~5.9% of NA sales & ~5.1% of PSP sales according to that Canadian NPD gaffer (what's his name?). So I started there and hav been increasing that % up to 11% & 10% so it better fits w/ other console LTDs of NA shipped vs. U.S. NPD sold.

Shiggy

typhonsentra said:
Doubtful. Germany and UK aren't the only two countries in the PAL. But even then, PSP has set several sales records in the UK and has reportedly done very well overall.

Germany, France and UK are the big three in Europe ;)
I've doubts that the PSP even got the 4 million number yet, but ask someone else.

"and has reportedly done very well overall."
Weren't the last reports about UMD sell-outs and shelves moving for DS due to its better sales?

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Doubtful. Germany and UK aren't the only two countries in the PAL.
But combined they are around 45% of the EU market.

Why exactly would you think PSP's European sell through would be close to shipment figures when that pretty clearly isn't the case in Japan or America? Can you cite any indication that the platform's even exceed 5m sell through (much less 6m)?

Shiggy said:
Germany, France and UK are the big three in Europe ;)
I've doubts that the PSP even got the 4 million number yet, but ask someone else.

You really think over 2 million units and over a third of the total stock since launch are just sitting on shelves? Be reasonable here.

"and has reportedly done very well overall."
Weren't the last reports about UMD sell-outs and shelves moving for DS due to its better sales?

I don't have any idea how well UMD sales are. It's pretty hard to find figures on those things outside of Sony's own reports.

Jarrod said:
Why exactly would you think PSP's European sell through would be close to shipment figures when that pretty clearly isn't the case in Japan or America? Can you cite any indication that the platform's even exceed 5m sell through (much less 6m)?

Well for starters, you act as if channels like Media Create are exact figures despite each and every companie's reported sales being far ahead of them. And even then PSP sales in NA and Japan are far closer to the NPD/M-C than what you're suggesting they are in Europe. Not to mention they explicitly say sold, do they not?

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
You really think over 2 million units and over a third of the total stock since launch are just sitting on shelves? Be reasonable here.
Why not, seems to be nearly that way for the US?

Also, SCEI gives "production shipments", meaning any units that've left manufacturing bases... in some cases they haven't even shipped to retail yet.

Precent sold vs. shipped (June):
Japan - 70.2%
America - 66.7%
PAL - 69.3%
<I would think PAL/EURO sales would be lower compared to NA, as they are w/ Japan - more time since launch usually means higher sales to shipped (right?), so my estimates may still be too high. Maybe 63% sold-thru would be more accurate for PAL going by the JP/NA difference?

A 63% sold-thru rate would put PAL at 4.0m as of June < I think this is more accurate after listening to Shiggy.

Shiggy

typhonsentra said:

You're right. It actually has to be even more.
UK: 1.5 mio (my estimate)
France: 1 mio (my estimate) (early 2006 it was around 500.000, so this number is a little bit too high, I'd guess)
Germany : 385.000 (official number by Sony Germany at GC)

These are the three big markets.
I doubt that all the other markets got one million together, as they're way too small. I'd guess Sony overshipped the PSP.

Shiggy said:
You're right. It actually has to be even more.

Give me a break dude. If it were doing anywhere near as bad as you're suggesting it'd be in the bargain bin. Use some common sense. And again, the same source that gave you those German numbers also said it's at 6 million sold in Europe, correct?

Tadaima

typhonsentra said:

Of note - there are PSPs in stock *everywhere* around where I live (Southern England) with lots of retail, not promo, boxes in stores.

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Give me a break dude. If it were doing anywhere near as bad as you're suggesting it'd be in the bargain bin. Use some common sense.
How about just using hard data instead? Seems more failsafe than "common sense". ;)

typhonsentra said:
And again, the same source that gave you those German numbers also said it's at 6 million sold in Europe, correct?
Nope. Those were "production shipments".

Shiggy

typhonsentra said:
Give me a break dude. If it were doing anywhere near as bad as you're suggesting it'd be in the bargain bin. Use some common sense. And again, the same source that gave you those German numbers also said it's at 6 million sold in Europe, correct?

Then tell me why the PSP numbers in France should've been doubled, although there's a clear DS dominance? According to this site (http://www.slicedgaming.com/news8302.html) PSP sold 2,440,000 units in Europe until February. I don't think they sold more than 1 million more since then, as there was no Christmas, no real price drop and no launch. There had also been no killer apps like Nintendogs, Brain Training, Animal Crossing or NSMB, GTA PSP didn't gave the high sales that had been expected.
The 4 million mark seems to be highly unlikely.

datruth29

typhonsentra said:
Are you trying to say Sony's lying?

Well, if they did sell that many units, it would imply that they sold more then the DS in Europe. By all indications, this is not true. Now, you can say the DS sold more then 6 million in Europe, but then DS sold through would either 100% of shipped or more (which is impossible). Besides, doesnt sony always report shipped?

Shiggy said:
Then tell me why the PSP numbers in France should've been doubled, although there's a clear DS dominance? According to this site (http://www.slicedgaming.com/news8302.html) PSP sold 2,440,000 units in Europe until February. I don't think they sold more than 1 million more since then, as there was no Christmas, no real price drop and no launch. There had also been no killer apps like Nintendogs, Brain Training, Animal Crossing or NSMB, GTA PSP didn't gave the high sales that had been expected.

So Sony's lying about it's 6 million figure?

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Hard data exist for European sales? Show me.
The snippets we have certainly don't indicate sell through even close to 6m. But then you admittedly don't consider tracking outlets like NPD or MCreate as being trustworthy, so maybe you should stick to your unique brand of "common sense"? ;)

typhonsentra said:
Are you trying to say Sony's lying?
Why would you think that? SCEI's always been upfront about using production shipment.

Shiggy

typhonsentra said:
So Sony's lying about it's 6 million figure?

You seem to be an ignorant, annoying Sony fanboy...
No, that are the production numbers. That figures says that 6 million left the manufacturing base, it doesn't say that that many units were delivered to stores, as they seem to be filled, at least according to sold through data.

Shiggy said:
You seem to be an ignorant, annoying Sony fanboy...
No, that are the production numbers. That figures says that 6 million left the manufacturing base, it doesn't say that that many units were delivered to stores, as they seem to be filled, at least according to sold through data.

Ahh, I understand now. It's a Nintendo circle jerk thread where you go with your own estimates and bad mouth how mean old Sony lies about it's numbers. Well I won't stop you, have fun!

lancubap

Shiggy said:

It is what I think too. Good analysis.

datruth29

typhonsentra said:
Ahh, I understand now. It's a Nintendo circle jerk thread where you go with your own estimates and bad mouth how mean old Sony lies about it's numbers. Well I won't stop you, have fun!
Dude, I'm just curious. Are you arguing that those numbers were sold through or shipped?

Shiggy said:

WOH!! That article says 3.7m NDS sold in EU by Jan. My estimate of 3.71m is right on!!! Awesome!:D
EDIT: But it's only for EU not all of PAL...

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Precisely
???

So what's your argument then? SCEI announced "Production Shipments" for PSP in Europe at 6.350.000 as of the end of June, "sell through" is likely a good 2-2.5 million lower.

Shiggy

typhonsentra said:

Well, I would guess you either don't understand what I'm saying or you don't want to.
Where did I say that Sony lie? That's the pure imagination of a Sony fanboy, yes, I'm talking about you.

Why do you think the 2,440,000 units, sold through as of February, have been doubled until the end of June, what means that PSP sold more than DS. And this even without the third largest European market, Germany, in which it only sold 385000 times according to Sony.

jarrod

Banned
So anyway, getting back to my question... how long does everyone think it'll take until the sellthrough gap between DS and PSP equals PSP's installed base?

Shiggy said:
Well, I would guess you either don't understand what I'm saying or you don't want to.
Where did I say that Sony lie? That's the pure imagination of a Sony fanboy, yes, I'm talking about you.

Why do you think the 2,440,000 units, sold through as of February, have been doubled until the end of June, what means that PSP sold more than DS. And this even without the third largest European market, Germany, in which it only sold 385000 times according to Sony.

Hey thanks for that article. I'll be lowering my PAL PSP estimates for the graph but need to know how much needs to be added to the EU number to reach all of PAL territories.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
jarrod said:
So anyway, getting back to my question... how long does everyone think it'll take until the sellthrough gap between DS and PSP equals PSP's installed base?
About 1.6 hours after pokemon is released

datruth29

jarrod said:
The month after pokemon is released in all 3 territories.

Shiggy said:

Aside from the fact that your site doesn't credit any sources, what makes you think it's more reliable than Sony exactly?

Top Bottom