• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide cumulative home console hardware sales for Gen 6, 7 & 8 (Data inside)

It won't without Morpheus being a hit i think.
I honestly think VR would have to reach all its potential (I.e. More than just games) to make that happen. And I don't know if that would happen on ps4. I think otherwise Morpheus would/will sell to the audience that already bought the system. That long end tail is made up of completely incremental "non-gamers" that I think have completely transitioned to phones for that entertainment need

Not to mention I really don't think staying ahead of early X360 sales is much of an feat. X360 was following original Xbox that did 24 million ww when Xbox One is following X360 that sold nearly 90 million ww. Brand should be way stronger now.

I would agree with you on this. The only reason the Xbox One is tracking ahead of the Xbox 360 at this point is due to the price cut and bundles. And that's not a good thing.

MS must have seen the same trend we're looking at right now and decided to act. I'm just not sure if they were responding to being outsold by the PS4 or not being able to outsell their own 360.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Nice work, but why is everything so tiny? Can barely see anything.

I think my photobucket settings are messed up. I save a high res file and when I upload it the final image is downscaled.

Will see if I can upload a higher res image for the first graph.

What's sad in a way is that the Wii U actually had one of the best console launches of all time.... and then flopped. Badly.

Well even that was pretty much because WiiU had first worldwide launch ever with proper supply. Not to mention Nintendo overshipped big time during its launch quarter.

I love this data, and I love you for making it.

Quick question, someone had made a handheld graph comparing PSP/DS/GBA to 3DS and another comparing Wii U to Vita. Was that you? I'd love to see those updated as well

I think my photobucket settings are messed up. I save a high res file and when I upload it the final image is downscaled.

Will see if I can upload a higher res image for the first graph.

you might need to click on the "view Image" icon to see the full resolution.

SHIP%208_zpsfmft1onf.jpg

It's almost as though you can tell, just by looking at the green line, when Xbox One got that $150 price cut plus multiple games thrown in.

Xiaoki

Why no Dreamcast?

Also, how is the Wii U doing compared to it?

I remember the DC selling about 10.6 million when it was discontinued after 28 months.

EGM1966

MS must have seen the same trend we're looking at right now and decided to act. I'm just not sure if they were responding to being outsold by the PS4 or not being able to outsell their own 360.
Both I would imagine. They'll want to try and stay close to 360 to show that the XB1 doesn't represent a backwards step and they'll want to try and catch PS4 for obvious reasons.

Baring Halo 5 and this holiday providing a serious prolonged upturn I reckon both goals are slipping away from them though.

PS4 looks uncatchable already and current trends to me indicate XB1 will end up falling behind 360 on a course to selling some tens
of millions less.

Barring upsets of course as noted.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I love this data, and I love you for making it.

Quick question, someone had made a handheld graph comparing PSP/DS/GBA to 3DS and another comparing Wii U to Vita. Was that you? I'd love to see those updated as well

No that wasn't me who made the Handheld Console graph. I'll be honest, I don't really care for handheld sales so don't really save or follow data in this area so I probably won't be making any graphs with handhelds in.

Sorry!

you might need to click on the "view Image" icon to see the full resolution.

I tried but it doesn't work :(

Why no Dreamcast?

Also, how is the Wii U doing compared to it?

I remember the DC selling about 10.6 million when it was discontinued after 28 months.

I left the Dreamcast out because it'd make the graph even messier. DC sales were 9.13m LTD. The Wii U LTD is 9.2m as of Dec 2014.

Both I would imagine. They'll want to try and stay close to 360 to show that the XB1 doesn't represent a backwards step and they'll want to try and catch PS4 for obvious reasons.

I would agree, also the install base wasn't growing at all so it was a combination of install base, competition and brand that caused Microsoft to lower the price.

Kasper

Looking at those Wii U numbers are just so sad. I really wish Nintendo was doing better. Hopefully they'll turn things around with the next console. The Wii U seems dead in the water.

Xiaoki

I left the Dreamcast out because it'd make the graph even messier. DC sales were 9.13m LTD. The Wii U LTD is 9.2m as of Dec 2014.

9.13 for Dreamcast? That definitely doesnt sound right.

The entire internet says 10.6 million LTD.

Any source for your number?

mike4001_

Interesting, that the Xbox 360 and Xbox One Sales are nearly identical

It really just looks "bad" because PS4 is doing about x1,6-1,7 better :)

D.Lo

Cool resource.

Two polar opposite generations really. PS4 and Bone were much more reasonably specced (for the time) and priced and positioned (especially considering inflation) in a better world (especially US) economy, after a too-long previous generation. So they had huge starts unbefitting their actual value (aka the games available).

As such they really should plateau much earlier unless something changes.

Compare that with PS3 which was wildly out of sync with the market in price and hardware, and only reached its final total due to massive, massive, unreturned reinvestment.

Wii and Wii U are also opposites - exciting and affordable, vs 'nothing special' (to the market) and too expensive. The Gamecube at least was 'nothing special' and cheap.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
Really interesting graphs but they do hide a lot of the picture.

Maybe they would benefit from an indicator to signify when they were:
- no longer supply constrained i.e. an indication of when they were generally available on the open market
- no longer market constrained i.e. it was available in main console buying countries (US, much of EU, Japan, etc).

Both are tricky dates to settle on but I am sure the GAF collective could hazard a guess for each console.

Otherwise we are not comparing apples to apples in those first few months/years. The PS4 success is great but I think we are deluding ourselves if we think it was a lot better than PS2 (took a long time to come to all regions), or the Wii (which took ages to became widely available)

Perhaps just having an indicator on each line to show when this date happened. All data before that point can be regarded as highly suspect for valid comparison... data after that point is valid for direct comparison.

e.g.. XB1 was pretty much day 1 as the availability in more territories later on has been pretty negligible. PS4 probably settled down about 6 months later. Earlier generations you are looking at 18 months or more.

People here are saying that the XB1 is tracking better than the 360... I would say that is not a valid assumption as the XB1 has been freely available in all major territories and the 360 had a more staggered staggered launch in major territories and was supply constrained for months after release. Having a "tick" on the chart when these conditions are satisfied would make your data more valid.

Wow, that really puts Wii-U into perspective. Please Nintendo, go third party. Don't wait until it's too late like Sega did.

D.Lo

Wow, that really puts Wii-U into perspective. Please Nintendo, go third party. Don't wait until it's too late like Sega did.
Oh my god, every thread.

Nintendo are debt free, have huge bank balances, and are profitable. And have sold 310 million consoles over the last decade, and over two billion games.

Sega had dug a hole deeper than any money they had ever made off their single major success could fill.

Microsoft and Sony's game divisions are much closer to Sega (in losses) than Nintendo has ever been.

mrmickfran

Wii U is doing worse than GameCube.

I didn't think that it would be possible to perform worse than the GameCube.

I still <3 my Wii U though.

Sorry, I should clarify. I mean PS4 matching Wii sales worldwide won't last.

PS4 being the market leader this generation by a big margin is a certainty.

Probably not, as the Wii sold to a much wider audience. Anything is possible though. Maybe Morpheus will be a breakout hit with gamers and non-gamers alike.

I never get these opinions...selling to a wider audience???how? the PS2 outsold Wii even before it was released. Technically the wii sold to a smaller audience.

I think the PS4 will have no trouble outselling the Wii.

Oh my god, every thread.

Nintendo are debt free, have huge bank balances, and are profitable. And have sold 310 million consoles over the last decade, and over two billion games.

Sega had dug a hole deeper than any money they had ever made off their single major success could fill.

Microsoft and Sony's game divisions are much closer to Sega (in losses) than Nintendo has ever been.

Overall Nintendo have made losses this gen though. They have only been profitable during last few quarters as WiiU and 3DS have had their peak years in terms of profits. Even Sony's gaming division was profitable during peak PS3 years. Next gen is going to be critical for Nintendo. They need to release far more succesfull home console and somehow stop handheld market contracting more or those profitable quarters are becoming more and more rare.

FDC1

I never get these opinions...selling to a wider audience???how? the PS2 outsold Wii even before it was released. Technically the wii sold to a smaller audience.

This, PS4 won't peak and fall as quickly Wii did. On the long term, it will outsell the Wii.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ZhugeEX said:
This is what the PS4 needs to do in order to match Wii over the next year.
Well this was Wii's peak year as well, I don't think any PS to date hit its peak in 2nd year (maybe Vita?). It is interesting to note that only 3 consoles to date have had years >20M, is PS4 going to be the 4th?

ZhugeEX

Banned

Read my second clarification post on the other page.

What I mean is that in the short term the PS4 won't outsell the Wii. In the long term its likely the PS4 will have more legs.

xehanort

Thanks for the charts. PS4 is doing great. XB1 is not bad either. With the games being announced left and right I believe this will be a great gen for gamers.

D.Lo

Overall Nintendo have made losses this gen though. They have only been profitable during last few quarters as WiiU and 3DS have had their peak years in terms of profits. Even Sony's gaming division was profitable during peak PS3 years. Next gen is going to be critical for Nintendo. They need to release far more succesfull home console and somehow stop handheld market contracting more or those profitable quarters are becoming more and more rare.
Absolutely true, but Sega is still nowhere near a suitable comparison. Sega cratered almost immediately after their only ever profitable couple of years.

I'm still putting my money on Microsoft being the first of the current batch to exit console hardware.

Very interesting. PS4 is clearly a very successful piece of hardware while Xbox One is not that bad. Things may still change a little but I think that the position of each competitor in the hardware sales race is already known. Except maybe if VR is the game changer but I don't think it has the power to bring such a big audience to one or another actor. Nintendo obviously will stay in 3rd position...

Does someone have the same sort of data for software sales (cumulative home console software sales for each gen and split by hardware) ?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Let's not forget 2 major factors on why the Wii Sold so much.

1. It was cheaper than the ps3/xbox 360

2. It captured the casual market like old people and non gamers.

The Wii was a fad that vanished as quick as it came. WiiU struggles have proven that.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Chû Totoro;160057360 said:
Very interesting. PS4 is clearly a very successful piece of hardware while Xbox One is not that bad. Things may still change a little but I think that the position of each competitor in the hardware sales race is already known. Except maybe if VR is the game changer but I don't think it has the power to bring such a big audience to one or another actor. Nintendo obviously will stay in 3rd position...

Does someone have the same sort of data for software sales (cumulative home console software sales for each gen and split by hardware) ?

Yes, The PS4 is doing very well and the Xbox One started off well at launch but sales haven't been as high as they could be, it was only during the holiday season that Xbox One sold well.

At the moment the Xbox One has its strongest region in the USA and UK but it's second place there. So I expect it won't be long till the Xbox One starts dipping under other consoles on the graph from the main page.

Software sales-
PS1 - 962m
N64 - 225m

PS2 - 1545m
GCN - 209m

PS3 - >900m
Wii - 906m

PS4 - 100m+
Wii U - 53m

spared

Sorry, I should clarify. I mean PS4 matching Wii sales worldwide won't last.

PS4 being the market leader this generation by a big margin is a certainty.

Listen... your grandma probably owns a Wii but she will never own a PS4. 'nuff said my friend. :)

Sorry, I didn't take that into consideration. If you want the numbers or want me to explain something then let me know.

There are two things I can think of that you can do that would help colorblidn people:

1) When two lines have a lot of overlap and very similar trajectories, don't use similar colors. Example: Xbox One and PS2, it's basically impossible to see the Xbox One line.

2) Make the images bigger. You've included the shape indicators on the lines, which is good, but the legend is so small that it's hard to read some of them clearly.

There are two things I can think of that you can do that would help colorblidn people:

1) When two lines have a lot of overlap and very similar trajectories, don't use similar colors. Example: Xbox One and PS2, it's basically impossible to see the Xbox One line.

2) Make the images bigger. You've included the shape indicators on the lines, which is good, but the legend is so small that it's hard to read some of them clearly.

I'd agree, I'm not even colorblind, but some of the lines are hard to read.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I still find it amazing that the PS4 is tracking closely to the Wii. They are as different as any consoles can be. Almost polar opposites.

Can Sony keep that momentum? Thats the question.

And XBO is doing fine....no matter what some folks like you to believe. Comparing last version to this version its doing fine.

Nintendo needs to figure something out ASAP....or just relish being kings of the handheld market.

ZhugeEX

Banned

I'd agree, I'm not even colorblind, but some of the lines are hard to read.

How is this -

http://i.imgur.com/1sWXlW0.jpg

I still find it amazing that the PS4 is tracking closely to the Wii. They are as different as any consoles can be. Almost polar opposites.

Can Sony keep that momentum? Thats the question.

And XBO is doing fine....no matter what some folks like you to believe. Comparing last version to this version its doing fine.

Nintendo needs to figure something out ASAP....or just relish being kings of the handheld market.

Sony won't keep the same momentum as the Wii, but it's not going to lose much momentum.

Xbox One started fine, but now it's not exactly fine. The majority of sales are coming from North America and United Kingdom alone with Rotw sales quite poor. Despite the big start the Xbox One failed to take the lead in the UK or US and in fact sold quite poorly through 2014, only the holiday season was able to provide a substantial boost to the console to bring back up to acceptable levels over the Xbox 360.

No doubt the One will slip under the Xbox One because of its lack of relevancy worldwide and also because it's not first in the US and the UK.

The US market is massive though so MS have done well to see most of their sales there which are enough to see the Xbox One as somewhat successful, Rotw has dragged XOne sales down and the fact that XOne is behind PS4 in the US means that WW gap is going to grow.

Top Bottom