• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush Remastered Impressions

http://www.exophase.com/game/gravity-rush-remastered-ps4/trophies/

Same trophies as Vita. Even the DLC trophies are separated, lol.

DLC shows up as side missions on the map. They unlock outfits for Kat.
There are 4 different trophy sets in this game.

The Main Game (40 trophies Including a Platinum)
Maid Pack (8 trophies)
Spy Pack (8 trophies)
Special Forces Pack (8 trophies)

Same trophy list and set as the Vita.

Ah, thanks guys. Kind of glad that they're keeping the DLC trophies separate, I loved what they done with the trophy images for each pack.

Will say the visuals look even more rough since its on a bigger screen. If there is not much new or improved (managed the old controls well) will wait for the sequel.

CHC

How is the aliasing / image quality? Jaggies on Vita were TERRIBLE, especially with the outline around Kat.

(I know there are screens up but I'm on my phone so it all looks great when it's shrunken down.)

ChuckNyce

Isn't that just because x and o are switched in Japan (as far as what is usee for cancel and what is select)? I'd imagine menu navigation for the western release would confirm with NA standards.

Absolutely I'm sure that won't be the case with the NA version, was just commenting on my experience with the HK version in general.

Shin-Ra

storafötter;188967872 said:
Will say the visuals look even more rough since its on a bigger screen.
Yeahno.

Higher pixel density doesn't save the Vita version from looking like an upscaled jagfest.

mieumieu

How is the aliasing / image quality? Jaggies on Vita were TERRIBLE, especially with the outline around Kat.

(I know there are screens up but I'm on my phone so it all looks great when it's shrunken down.)

The image quality is very stable (probably due to MSAA 4x at least) and smooth (60fps at all times; although I only played for an hour).

Guru-Guru

Banned
Was the original game good?
Yes, but it has its problems. I have been highly critical of the game in the past due to the shallow/repetitive combat. The 2nd half of Gravity Daze also really drags on due to a lot of unnecessary padding.

However I am enjoying the PS4 version more than the Vita for a couple reasons:

-Really short load time screens. Over 30 seconds when you wanted to retry a challenge mission on the Vita. I avoided challenge missions in the original because of the long load times.

-I find the camera less annoying to control and not as disorienting playing on my big TV compared to a Vita screen right in front of my face.

Santa Kat

cwgha_6wsaiyrcj81quu.jpg

cv_2qgausaa91q8z1ou2.jpg

Do the lighting and sky change as the game progresses? It looks kind of rusty and red everywhere, like Silent Hill.

As you progress through the game
and unlock new parts of the city then you will notice that the sky does change colour. E.g. Auldnoir is Red, Pleajeune is Purple, Endestria is Yellow.

Okay, neat. Thanks.

People mentioned how the gravity slide is better to control in this than in the Vita version — how is it different?

Shin-Ra

Okay, neat. Thanks.

People mentioned how the gravity slide is better to control in this than in the Vita version — how is it different?
You hold L2+R2 and control direction with the left stick. Jump is X as normal presumably.

On Vita you had to hold two fingers on the bottom corners of the touchscreen and tilt the Vita which made changing directions quickly very awkward. As your thumbs were attached to the screen you had to shake the Vita to jump.

You hold L2+R2 and control direction with the left stick. Jump is X as normal presumably.

On Vita you had to hold two fingers on the bottom corners of the touchscreen and tilt the Vita which made changing directions quickly very awkward. As your thumbs were attached to the screen you had to shake the Vita to jump.

Good lord

muteki

Copy finally came in.

Game is freaking gorgeous, and controls great. My only complaint is the text speed but that is more my slow reading skills. Can't wait to grab all the gems again.

I really like the theme but it has tough competition with the new FF7 theme, I don't know which I will stick with.

Played this on Vita and very tempted to double dip when it's released in the states.

I think it's great that BP is getting all the remasters. They do a great job.

Beat the main story today. I forgot how projectile-heavy the fights towards the end of the game get. Working on side missions/challenges.

Visuals/Performance
-crisp
-no framerate problems throughout entirety of main game
-loading is much improved, warping takes just a second or two

Gameplay
-sharper visuals allow you to see enemy cues easier
-gravity slide controls much better than on Vita, used it a lot this time around
-motion control intact and just as responsive as it was on Vita

I love the game to death and moving around the world never gets old. The remaster is definitely a better way to experience the game if you have the option. Gravity Rush 2 remains atop my list of must-haves for 2016, I can't wait.

Beat the main story today. I forgot how projectile-heavy the fights towards the end of the game get. Working on side missions/challenges.

Visuals/Performance
-crisp

Gameplay
-gravity slide controls much better than on Vita, used it a lot this time around

I love the game to death and moving around the world never gets old. The remaster is definitely a better way to experience the game if you have the option. Gravity Rush 2 remains atop my list of must-haves for 2016, I can't wait.

Awesome. Can't wait for February to get here.

Yeah it's Amazon only. The wait till February is long. Don't want to import since I am getting amazon physical version to support the release and no point in double dipping.

Yeah

Visuals/Performance
-crisp

Gameplay

Controlling gravity slide with stick and X for jump during slide, but still being able to flick my wrists to quickly re-aim my flight using motion controls is like having my cake and eating it too. February is so goddamn far away.

2Shea

This bad boy(girl) showed up today

Loving it so far. I got a ton of enjoyment out of the Vita version, and it's great to see how well it holds up in HD.
The controls seem to be pretty darn close to perfect as well. I'll be honest, I think I'm in for any remaster bluepoint touches.

Absolutely can't wait for GR2 now.

SarusGray

This bad boy(girl) showed up today

Loving it so far. I got a ton of enjoyment out of the Vita version, and it's great to see how well it holds up in HD.
The controls seem to be pretty darn close to perfect as well. I'll be honest, I think I'm in for any remaster bluepoint touches.

Absolutely can't wait for GR2 now.

I'm so jealous of you right now.

Is there a reason this isn't releasing until February in NA? Need to spread out those first party releases?

It probably just has to do with December being an odd month in the west for game releases. Publishers tend to want to get their releases out by the end of November, which is why it's often times such a crowded month. December releases still happen, and we saw a couple prominent releases this year, but it's often a very quiet month. While in Japan it's no at all uncommon to release big games during this month.

Shin-Ra

I gave these sketches from the gallery transparent backgrounds if anybody wants to use them.

I've almost finished the game and I've mostly had a positive impression. The framerate and controls are silky, gravity sliding's so much easier that I gold medalled every one of the sliding challenges first attempt. Target times could've used some rebalancing for PS4.

Shadow quality's high enough now that you can clearly see the shape of ships flying high overhead and edge instability's pretty rare BUT they have the same dithered edges as pre-patch Nathan Drake Collection. Filtering like Wind Waker HD's would be a nice alternative I think.

No issues with anisotropic filtering here and there's a healthy dose of what looks like MSAA/EQAA but as there's a lot of high contrast sketchy outlines, aliasing persists. I'd love to have seen the MSAA with a custom reconstruction filter similar to The Order 1886 with perhaps TAA as well.

Comic cutscenes use a mixture of high and low resolution art, can't blame Bluepoint for this if Japan Studio didn't retain everything in a higher quality but the black panel frames aren't anti-aliased and shimmer badly when you tilt the DualShock 4 which tilts the parallax perspective of the comic elements. Funnily enough, all the main story chapter titles are high res and only the DLC chapters have upscaled titles. You'd think they'd have access to the font to redo all of these.

Thankfully all the menu, map, conversation and gameplay HUD 2D graphics you see regularly are nice and sharp. Stuff like the HUD and town name popups look a bit large, like they were designed for the smaller Vita screen, I'd have scaled them down a bit.

I'm playing from an 850 EVO SSD and typical sewer warps take 2 or 3 seconds, barely worth a mention. Unfortunately there's no Photomode or option to turn the HUD off so framing screenshots nicely can be tricky.

My copy arrived today; played it for about an hour or two. Don't have much in-depth analysis to give, but just wanted to say the game looks gorgeous and controls like a dream. Seeing Hekseville on the big screen and hearing that score blaring out of the speakers gave me the warm fuzzies.

FHIZ

My copy arrived today; played it for about an hour or two. Don't have much in-depth analysis to give, but just wanted to say the game looks gorgeous and controls like a dream. Seeing Hekseville on the big screen and hearing that score blaring out of the speakers gave me the warm fuzzies.
That's good to hear. The controls were my biggest issue. Tried to go back to the vita version a week or two ago and I just couldn't do it. The touch stuff just doesn't seem to work well.

How's aiming where gravity takes you? Between the sticks and the gyro on the vita, I felt like I was just battling the controls half the time and would constantly fuck up the key thing to the game.

That's good to hear. The controls were my biggest issue. Tried to go back to the vita version a week or two ago and I just couldn't do it. The touch stuff just doesn't seem to work well.

How's aiming where gravity takes you? Between the sticks and the gyro on the vita, I felt like I was just battling the controls half the time and would constantly fuck up the key thing to the game.

You press the R1 button to activate gravity mode, and then you just use the right analogue stick to point yourself in the direction you want to go, while fine-tuning a little extra with the motion sensor if you want. It's all very seamless and easy to learn. It definitely controls better on a DualShock 4 than the Vita. On the Vita I felt the game had a steep learning curve control wise, and it absolutely was a bit fiddly and finicky and disorientating getting to grips with all the gravity-based maneuvers, but after enough practice I felt like I had it mastered, so it didn't hinder my enjoyment overall. I did rate the original my GOTY 2012 after all!

So yeah, you'll be pleased to know the PS4 version is a lot more accessible.

Top Bottom