• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Cameos

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

So I watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves today, and while overly long I was astonished at the ending where
Sean Connery appears as the King Richard.
This got me thinking of other movies in which the appearance of a character/ actor totally blew you away. Is there any other great cameos that make the movie worth watching for that alone.

Bill Murray in Zombieland was great as well, but didn't blow me away as much as Robin Hood

HylianTom

Banned
hermit7 said:
So I watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves today, and while overly long I was astonished at the ending where
Sean Connery appears as the King Richard.

You mean Patrick Stewart, right?

(It's good to be the king..) :D

ToxicAdam

Brad Pitt in True Romance (technically, he wasn't a star yet)

Chris Walken in Pulp Fiction

Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy reprising their Trading Places roles ( Randolph and Mortimer Duke) in Coming to America.

Stan Lee in Mallrats

HylianTom

Banned
hermit7 said:
Er... no the Kevin Costner version.

Ahhh.. I need to stop skimming these posts at work.

Still, a nice cameo that surprised me when I saw it. I was pretty young when I saw Men in Tights in the theatre, and didn't realize at the time how it was comical in paralleling Connery's appearance.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
806rack2.jpg

Dunno, hows bout a great canoe. This one looks pretty spiffy with its rod holders, solar panel and electric motor.

Micius

Bootaaay said:
Gordon Liu as Johhny To/Pai Mei in Kill Bill 1 & 2 was awesome, wish he could've got a longer fight in the first film though.

Sonny Chiba was awesome in Kill Bill Volume 1 too.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ceebs said:
Billy Crystal in The Princess Bride is a good one.

Billie Crystal is a credited role. Plus he's in the movie for a good 10 minutes, which is enough to get people nominated for supporting actor oscars...

Off the top of my head:

- Chuck Norris - Dodgeball

- The Invention of Lying doesn't have any one particular cameo that stands out, but the movie stands out for basically being a gigantic succession of cameos. Edward Norton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jonah Hill, Jeffrey Tambor, John Hodgeman, Jason Bateman...

Spielberg in Vanilla Sky.

You know I still don't know what the fuck he was doing there. The only reasonable explanation after all this time I could come up with is that Vanilla Sky actually is a personal biography of the Cruise missile.

Hunter S. Thompson appearing as himself in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Depp (as Hunter) runs into real Hunter while tripping on acid and exclaims "Holy fuck, it's me!".

Franco Nero as dictator/drug-lord Ramon Esperanza in Die Hard 2: Die Harder - I was always a huge fan of Django, and was pleasently suprised to find him as one of the villains of Die Hard 2.

Hulk Hogan in Gremlins 2; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esR019e-uMQ

Alx

Tom Cruise
in Austin Powers 3. Just after I told myself
"wow, it looks exactly like a Mission Impossible movie"
, bam ! he shows his face. :D

Darklord

Banned
JGS said:
Arnold Schwarzenegger in Rundown where he essentially passes the action title to The Rock.

Yeah, I liked that. The Rock was great in that movie. Why'd he have to fuck it all up? :(

JGS

Banned
czartim said:
How did that work out for him?

It didn't unfortunately.

But no one else has taken the mantle either so the action hero figure is probably a dead genre.

Still didn't change the greatness of the cameo (or the movie).

Kevin Smith movies. If theres one thing Smith does well, it's the number of cameos of fictional and non-fictional characters appearing in his movies. From Brian O'Halloran/Dante in every(?) Viewaskew Smith movie, to god knows how many celebrities in Jay and Silent Bob ("Affleck, you the bomb in Phantoms,yo".)

The crossover jabs in various horror sequels. Alien skull in Predator 2, the necronomicon and freddy's glove in Jason Goes to Hell

Boy George and Hulk Hogan in The A-Team.

Alias had some great ones as well. Eg: David Carradine, Ethan Hawke, Danny Trejo, Christian Slater, Ricky Gervais, Quentin Tarantino

ViolentP

John Dunbar said:
some of you people really need to learn the difference between a cameo and a supporting role.

Since being a jerk is cool, some of you should learn proper capitalization.

aku:jiki

I'm gonna go with an easy answer and say that I love it when Mark Wahlberg shows up in Entourage. Maybe it doesn't count as cameoing since it's his show but whatever. :D

I should be doing hw said:
David Bowie in The Prestige
Tesla was a major character and plot point in The Prestige - that's not a cameo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom