• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great films with bad shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randam

was watching the godfather again and this is such a great movie.
but two scenes just put me off everytime.

Sonny beating up Carlo with that fake punch:

SxaJZT6.gif

and Michael shooting Sollonzo:

tumblr_meze9e1gLp1qllovxo1_500.gif

you can clearly see the wound appearing on his forhead, befor he actually shot him.

how did those things end up in the movie?
wouldn't have been a lot of efford, to do it again.

Sephzilla

The Matrix had some odd shots/revealing mistakes that made it as far as the first wave of VHS and DVD releases. Stuff including a random hand being in Neo's cubicle, the barrel of a soldier's gun clearly bending as it hits the ground after Neo delivers the final kick at the end of the lobby shootout.

You mean bad shots right? Cause both of those scenes are terrific.

This. Nothing wrong with the scenes, just flawed shots.

They didn't have GIFs in 1972.

I'll bet no one then noticed the punch.

And this. I hate these kinds of GIFs for so many reasons. You could find something that looks shitty in GIF form in just about any film, but you don't watch films as a series of zoomed, cropped, and infinitely repeating GIFs. Doesn't stop people from using it as lazy critique of just about anything.

I dont think this is a bad scene at all it just felt like it belonged more in JJ Star Trek than JJ Star Wars

I think context (of a specific movie) can make a scene good or bad. Certain scenes "work" (or don't work) based on the movie that surrounds it.

The premise of being caught between two rival gangs is actually good, but once the rathtar scene started, I thought, "What am I watching?"

A fun topic might be: "Which fantastic scenes would not work in any other movie?"

Creed.

Circle of
ATVs

lBBcTp9.gif

One of my favorite scenes in Creed.

Sephzilla

I'd agree with this. It's not even distracting for me, but it's one of the least interesting parts of the movie.

The other reason I think this scene feels odd/out of place for the movie is because most of the other alien stuff in the movie are practical effects while this is a purely CG bit. So it kind of clashes with the movie on a visual level

I thought the Rathtars were visually bland and weak creature designs for a Star Wars movie. As a whole I had no problem with it, nor did I find it out of place. The Indiana Jones nod was fun too.

IMO the weakest scene in the movie is the "Another Death Star? alright how we blow it up" exchanges. I wouldn't call it bad though, just a bit hammy.

Lord of the Rings, most of the hobbit scenes (Merry/Pippin and Frodo/Sam) excluding the Fellowship

Also, Aragorn/Liv Tyler scenes in LOTR. I skip those

EGM1966

OP you're choices are plain rotten or you're using the wrong terminology.

Both those scenes are terrific: the diner scene in particular is a classic.

You're pointing out two freeze frame goofs (I'll refrain from pointing out at the time the effects for violence were cutting edge and the diner scene would not be easy to re-shot and as it relies on human/mechanical alignment getting perfect timing is unlikely) that are in fact very common. Blows clearly fail to connect all the time and mechanical timing effects are only intended to hold up to in motion viewing without ability to freeze image.

I'f you're going to try and nitpick The Godfather at least do it right.

That said the mentions for Pa Kent in MoS can't be argued with. Lousy scene.

IMO the weakest scene in the movie is the "Another Death Star? alright how we blow it up" exchanges. I wouldn't call it bad though, just a bit hammy.

Haha, I almost mentioned that one, too. It's a necessary scene, but the dialogue and editing are so weird and so "alright, let's just get this part overwith" feeling. Literally "but what about X?" "we'll do Y" "great idea" repeated a few times.

inception-movie-screencaps-com-3615.jpg

Can't find a gif of when they first transition to moving vertically, but it looks really bad.

Like True Savior said, this thread isn't about bad shots, so much as bad scenes.

As it is, I thought that shot was actually done practically by the actors? I could have sworn their movement is "real" and done on a set of some kind, although I agree something looks really unnatural about it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember when I saw The Man Who Wasn't There originally (the only time I did), the flying saucer scene felt ridiculous in a bad way. Maybe watching it again would make it feel different.

And there's something about Tarantino's "Dead N*** Storage" scene in Pulp Fiction that I don't like. Maybe it's just the reminder that Quentin has a fetish for the N-word...

Wensih

Haha, I almost mentioned that one, too. It's a necessary scene, but the dialogue and editing are so weird and so "alright, let's just get this part overwith" feeling. Literally "but what about X?" "we'll do Y" "great idea" repeated a few times.

Like True Savior said, this thread isn't about bad shots, so much as bad scenes.

As it is, I thought that shot was actually done practically by the actors? I could have sworn their movement is "real" and done on a set of some kind, although I agree something looks really unnatural about it.

Yeah, I'm assuming it was done with practical effects, but it still does look unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom