• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest Game Mechanics of All Time?

Destroying checkpoints for extra gold in Shovel Knight. Basically, betting the game you can do the next section without dying.

It's like a dynamic and rewarding in-game difficulty slider.

Brilliant.

phanphare

Banned
you're a kid now you're a squid now you'reakidyou'reasquidyou'reakidyou'reasquid

but seriously splatoon's ink mechanic in its totality aka it aiding movement, swimming up walls, stealth, reload, area denial, etc.

it's such an elegantly designed game. it's easily understood yet there's depth for days.

Titan Fall 2's time travel mechanic was pretty awesome albeit not used for a very long time.

The wall running/jumping was pretty damn good too.

Great game mechanics: Fighting game edition.

Supers, as first implemented and popularized by Super Street Fighter II X. Unfortunately, SNK gets a bit shafted here, since they technically had some form of "super" in games that came before SSF2X. But man, here it was a game changer, quite literally. When your opponent's bar fills up and reads "SUPER," it could completely change the flow of a match. Boxer, Ryu, Chun, and Honda (the latter two because of the "super storage" bug in the original game) with a full Super bar are truly, truly scary people.

But even beyond SSF2X, Supers became a standard thing. Practically every fighting game that came afterwards had some sort of "Super" bar. Today, we take it for granted, but it's an important mechanic that is still very powerful in its original game, and helped shape fighting games forever forward.

Parrying, as first implemented and popularized by Street Fighter III: New Generation. And again poor SNK (
I still love you, SNK!
) gets the shaft here, since I think they had something similar to parrying as early as the second Samurai Spirits game. But the thing is, that Street Fighter (specially the Street Fighter II series) could become a projectile-fest, where Ryu (Hyper Fighting) or "old" Sagat (SSF2X) could be very mighty and intimidating with their projectile prowess.

But you know what? Parrying meant you didn't have to be scared of projectiles anymore. No more trolling from Hyper Fighting Ryu or old Sagat types. It was almost the perfect mechanic, too: You get rewarded for parrying by leaving your opponent open for a counter-attack, but if you mess up the timing, you get punished! (Which is honestly what Garou: MotW got wrong; there's no punishment for a failed Just Defend attempt.)

I mean, it's the mechanic that gave us "Evo Moment #37." Enough said...

Binding of Isaac's powerup synergies.

What the series lacks in gameplay depth it makes up for in batshit insane emergent mechanics. Acquiring new items that power up your attacks lead to unpredictable, often hilarious results.
2610921-9160436854-1QPbD.gif

lp4U9xl.gif
At one point, that cool laser at one point could be just one that fires in a straight line, doing miniscule damage. Later on, you could acquire items, turning it into a wide beam that inflicts poison on enemies, homes in on all of them and deals enough damage to wipe out everything in the room before they even get a chance to touch you. Lots of games let you have fun by breaking it, but I've yet to find one that unconditionally embraces it like BoI does.
BleakPointlessCockatiel-small.gif

Interestingly enough, BoI is also the only action game I know of that most closely replicates Magic: The Gathering's type of emergent gameplay(without being a card game). It makes more sense knowing Edmund McMillen's a huge fan. It's something that more system-driven games should strive for, especially roguelikes.

One of the most innovative checkpoints.
Not only is it a safe, peaceful place to level up, it instantly restores all the enemies, helping to solve the problem of save scumming.

Dungeon Master's hybrid of action & dungeon crawling.
Instead of a turn-based affair, all units move in a grid-based dungeon. You attack enemies by clicking on your party's respective weapons(or magic combinations) in the HUD to attack. Compared to other CRPGs of the era, it's aged far better due to its more diegetic mouse controls.

Its blatant ripoff spiritual successor, Legend of Grimrock, improves the UI to make the gameplay even more fast-paced and accessible than before.
It's so authentic that there's a remake of the original as a mod called Back Into The Dungeon.

Jacobson

Everything in TWEWY. I'm not expecting a sequel at this point but I do want an HD port of the DS version on the 3ds. or a port of the mobile version to the Switch.

Somnid

NSMB mid-jump twirl.

It takes what people have been doing intuitively for years and makes work like how you expect.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Everything in TWEWY. I'm not expecting a sequel at this point but I do want an HD port of the DS version on the 3ds. or a port of the mobile version to the Switch.

I would like see for 3DS but for mobile or consoles not so much. What made TWEWY special was the dual screen combat.

Dark_castle

I'm a big fan of The Last Remnant's massive party in combat. You can deploy up to 18 characters in battle, split into 5 parties called unions. Even games with over 100 recruitable party members like Suikoden only allow up to 6. TLR goes far beyond that and really encapsulates the feeling of controlling a large army troop into battles in a turn-based JRPG format.

Shifty

Enemy Step from DMC. Jumping off heads never felt so good.

And also Wind Path from Ninja Gaiden Black, which is essentially the same thing but with more ninja.

Smasher89

Ice climbers desynch in super smash bros, moving around doing the moves you want but basic.ly just committing 50% of your character is really cool and fun, I would easily buy a game that would be tied to that mechanic alone!

Top Bottom