• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest Game Mechanics of All Time?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
NieR Automata's Evade into Run mechanic has to be most smooth feeling movement ability ever!

giphy.gif

100000 times this.

This why I enjoyed the open world of NieR automata even though it not really that big. the moments it buttery smooth and is fun as hell.

Also this:
gravity4knje8.gif

Special mention to Smash's Blast Zones.

Creates an interesting extra dimensional layer to a fighting game where movement options and positioning becomes the all around important factor.

Portal's Portals.

I'm not sure the double jump is an amazing mechanic. Maybe a glide at the end of the jump like klonoa or Rayman, but a double jump is usually not necessary.

Nicolada

Some basic ones I can think of

On-the-fly weapon changing

Mapping abilities to whatever button to increase customization

The ability to turn Mario into a paper airplane

Sygma

kirby as a gameplay mechanic is pretty brilliant. when you think about it, possessing / mimicing enemies in mario odyssey with the hat secretely is kirby running around

Don't know about greatest of all time, but Flow Motion from Kingdom Hearts is an incredibly fun mechanic.

EnlightenedFlashyIaerismetalmark.gif
It's a bit broken in terms of platforming and combat. You can literally just spam it towards a single wall and reach the ceiling.
It's neat for a little bit, however.

Exentryk

It's a bit broken in terms of platforming and combat. You can literally just spam it towards a single wall and reach the ceiling.
It's neat for a little bit, however.

As someone that doesn't care for platforming, this was amazing! And no, it's not broken in terms of combat.

The Hermit

I really like counters/parrys.

Timing a move to stop an attack feels amazing.

I am loving it in Metroid Returns, but Platinum are masters in that art.

Also it's been used in so many different games: Bayonneta, SFIII, Dark Souls, W101, Metal Gear Rising, LoZ: Breath of the Wild, Mario RPGs,Nier Automatta...

Bloodborne's Rally mechanic is a brilliant risk/reward system that encourages you to play aggressively. After taking damage, you're able to regain some of your lost health if you decide to counter (at the risk of being punished).

Nioh's Ki Pulse is a bit like Active Reload in Gears, but it proves to be crucial for intelligently managing your stamina and adds a great deal of depth to the game's combat (especially if you want to turn battles into speedy ordeals).

『Inaba Resident』;249194620 said:
Gravity shifting in Gravity Rush.
Definitely my favorite game mechanic
oTbMNI1.gif

This is great, too.

Bloodborne's Rally mechanic is a brilliant risk/reward system that encourages you to play aggressively. After taking damage, you're able to regain some of your lost health if you decide to counter (at the risk of being punished).

Nioh's Ki Pulse is a bit like Active Reload in Gears, but it proves to be crucial for intelligently managing your stamina and adds a great deal of depth to the game's combat (especially if you want to turn battles into speedy ordeals).

This is great, too.

These + Bayonetta's witch time.

Enzo88

I find it really hard to think of a mechanic more influential than z-targeting, at least for 3d games.

sephiroth7x

Going to be really boring here and say the double jump.

But also the combo in fighting games. (Street Fighter II I think may have been the first to accidently stumble upon it? Could be wrong though?).

Perhaps also the 'off the ball' running in sports games was a good one too...

I think if we speaking of best mechanics 'of all time' though, its going to be the boring ones we take for granted.

Stuff like a run button, jumps, wall sliding, levelling up, that sort of thing...

『Inaba Resident』;249194620 said:
Gravity shifting in Gravity Rush.
Definitely my favorite game mechanic
Came to post this. Probably my favorite game mechanic out of the last two gens.

Also:
Wall & ceiling traversal in Ghost in the Shell
Rocket jumping in Quake
Bunny hopping in Quake
Combos in fighting games (edit: beaten)

VFX in Viewtiful Joe - energy meter that governs all of your time-related powers, introducing a constant element of resource management to combat and puzzle solving. (It goes beyond the scope of just one game mechanic (which is vague in and of itself anyway, I guess), but the way your entire moveset, VFX powers included, work seamlessly in both combat situations and environmental puzzle-solving scenarios is also awesome.)

The implementation of melee attacks in Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6. 6's might be the best overall, honestly.

Vanquish's single meter that controls AR (slow-mo), boosting, and melee attacks. Exciting in the same way that Viewtiful Joe's VFX is.

Dead Rising's timer. Combined with the game's excellently laid-out world and strong, intelligently spaced-out quests, it makes the game really exciting to play.

Wall jumping in Super Metroid. A cool advanced trick that the game invisibly teaches to you, is challenging yet satisfying to pull off, and lets you pull off some cool sequence breaks if you figure it out by yourself early on.

Bayonetta's dodge offset, which allows you to continue combos even while dodging around enemies.

I don't want to call it one of the best game mechanics, but since I played it recently, Bionic Commando 2009's swinging is extremely satisfying, and pretty much makes the game worth it by itself.

13ruce

Banned
Squid form in Splatoon + paint/ink weapons. I love spanking ehm slapping Inklings to their ultimate demise with a fucking PaintBrush.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
> Invading another player's game, in Souls games. Soooo much fun, and so much tension when you can invaded.

> Stamina in Souls games. Skill-based combat that doesn't involve button mashing or chaining up tired over-the-top combos? Yes please.

> Vampire transformation powers in Blood Omen. Completely unique at the time (Castlevania SotN had some similar ones but not as cool, and came out after)

> Spectral/material realm shifting in Soul Reaver. It was crazy how the geometry shifted in real time, allowing for different platforming, puzzle solving, etc. The closest thing to that I found again was the
time shifting level
in Dishonored 2, but it's still not quite the same.

> Ki pulse in
Nioh
for precise but aggressive combat.

> Gravity shifting in Gravity Rush. Because you fly. Duh. Flying is awesome.

Bayonetta's dodge offset, which allows you to continue combos even while dodging around enemies.
Came to say this. I've been re-playing DmC a little recently and find the lack of dodge offset extremely frustrating, giving the combat a very staccato 'stop/start' feel, with the flow of combat being halted every few seconds while you roll away from incoming attacks and have to restart your combo string.
Dodge offset is a huge part of what makes Bayonetta such an absolute pleasure to play.

Bangai-O missile special where the more enemy bullets you have on you and the closer they are to you the more missiles your character will counterattack with.

It's so rewarding and satisfying and makes for insanely intense moments in which you think you're going to die but instead come out unscathed.

Best mechanic ever imo.

Top Bottom