• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Kassivin: PSP > DS

jiggle

Mama Smurf said:
There will obviously be original games, but what about those titles couldn't have been made as good as or better on the PS2?

Are you gonna carry your PS2 and a tv with you on a commute to play for 2.5 hours?

And while we're on that subject, why make any games on any handheld at all, when they all could be made to look just as good or better on home console?

Why should it be only acceptable if handheld graphics look outdated or inferior to homeconsoles?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
If you'd read my posts I've already pointed out that the only advantage seems to be the portable thing. I guess that's enough for some.

EDIT: Did you read my posts AT ALL?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Personally, I don't care for either of them, but watching the GAF freak out over any pro-PSP sentiment makes me giggle, so I guess I'll root for the PSP.

Memles

jiggle said:
Are you gonna carry your PS2 and a tv with you on a commute to play for 2.5 hours?

And while we're on that subject, why make any games on any handheld at all, when they all could be made to look just as good or better on home console?

The point of handheld technology, at this point, has been offering relatively inexpensive gaming that is portable. It hasn't been about technology until now, really. Nintendo's dominance in making efficient, long-lasting Game Boys has given them price control, and market control. Now, Sony is making it about tech, and I think it should be an interesting battle.

The point of making handheld games was to take advantage of that market, that of younger gamers, or those looking to play games on the run. It hasn't been about amazing graphics, as is evidenced by the amount of crap developers churn out, and how few really try to take adavntage of the GBA Hardware.

The point that is made by the PS2/PSP similarity is that, in the end, you're paying $300 to play something you could sit at home and play, but while on the road, or on a plane. Essentially, some may feel that they are paying $300 for portability. People don't buy Game Boys for the graphics, instead buying them because they are a different gaming experience. They're portable, they're different, and very simply it's not console gaming.

So it will go one of two ways, really.

Do people buy Game Boys to play games on the go, and only to do so? In that case, paying $300 to play their snazzy console games on the go would be worth it, and Sony has success.

If people are instead looking for a different experience from consoles, rather than simply portability, are they going to pay $300 for the same type of gaming they'd have on their systems at home? If they aren't, then Nintendo has success, and Sony fights it out with High-End Electronics.

I really can't prognosticate what might occur, but it's going to be interesting.

jiggle

Mama Smurf said:
I guess that's enough for some.

Enough for me.

I did, but you asked.

Isn't that the whole point of "portable", to play games on the go? Isn't that why we're willing put up with blurry grey pixels moving across the screen, cuz we can play these anywhere we go(that, and the great games that was made even with the limitation, or course)?

When did it start needing to have something innovative/gimmicky way to play?

Memles said:
The point of handheld technology, at this point, has been offering relatively inexpensive gaming that is portable. It hasn't been about technology until now, really. Nintendo's dominance in making efficient, long-lasting Game Boys has given them price control, and market control. Now, Sony is making it about tech, and I think it should be an interesting battle.

The point of making handheld games was to take advantage of that market, that of younger gamers, or those looking to play games on the run. It hasn't been about amazing graphics, as is evidenced by the amount of crap developers churn out, and how few really try to take adavntage of the GBA Hardware.

The point that is made by the PS2/PSP similarity is that, in the end, you're paying $300 to play something you could sit at home and play, but while on the road, or on a plane. Essentially, some may feel that they are paying $300 for portability. People don't buy Game Boys for the graphics, instead buying them because they are a different gaming experience. They're portable, they're different, and very simply it's not console gaming.

So it will go one of two ways, really.

Do people buy Game Boys to play games on the go, and only to do so? In that case, paying $300 to play their snazzy console games on the go would be worth it, and Sony has success.

If people are instead looking for a different experience from consoles, rather than simply portability, are they going to pay $300 for the same type of gaming they'd have on their systems at home? If they aren't, then Nintendo has success, and Sony fights it out with High-End Electronics.

I really can't prognosticate what might occur, but it's going to be interesting.

Now THIS is a post I can get behind.

Personally, the reason I love my Gameboy so much is that it offers things my consoles don't beyond portability with it's great lineup of nostalgia flavored 2D games among various other things. The reason i'm interested in the DS is because of the things a touchscreen can add to some types of games- Aimal Crossing with WiFi multiplay, touchscreen painting and letter writing for example.

Will the PSP take off? Impossible to say.

jiggle

Memles said:

Lemme be really sincere and honest when I say this, I must be getting really old and can't think right, but how are they different? They're just games on a portable system? Why will the experience be any different simply because the graphics are upgraded to 3D that can rival that of a home console? They're still games made for a portable system?
The only difference I can see is purely cosmetic.

Mama Smurf

jiggle said:
Enough for me.

I did, but you asked.

Isn't that the whole point of "portable", to play games on the go? Isn't that why we're willing put up with blurry grey pixels moving across the screen, cuz we can play these anywhere we go(that, and the great games that was made even with the limitation, or course)?

When did it start needing to have something innovative/gimmicky way to play?

Despite the name, I don't think that is the point for most people. There are some, yes, for whom the portability is perhaps the only reason they own a handheld. I'm thinking of commuters and the like. However, I think most people still play their handhelds at home (didn't even that Kaz guy say something similar lately).

While I don't believe 2D was chosen for the GBA specifically because it offers a different experience, I think it worked out well that way. I think most people own GBAs because it truly has games you can't experience elsewhere. Oh sure, the Xbox has games you can't experience on the PS2, but far less of them and those that there are, well, you'll find something incredibly similar on the other system too.

If portability's enough than that's great, you're well in with the new systems. For those of us looking for something different, especially if we're not specifically getting the handheld for the portability, the PSP kind of sucks. To play the games on it we have to put up with a battery life (no matter how long it is, you can't beat the convenience of a home console), having to buy another (by all accounts expensive) system to play games which could quite easily be made on the machine you've already got, having to play on a smaller screen and for the vast majority of people a worst sound set up than at home, and, to top it off, knowing that it's not like these games are in ADDITION to PS2 games, they're taking resources away from that system! Oh sure, plenty of companies will hire to cover the PSP, but not every developer can and even if they did have the money to, you'll run out of developers eventually (and talented ones a lot sooner).

Mama Smurf

jiggle said:
Lemme be really sincere and honest when I say this, I must be getting really old and can't think right, but how are they different? They're just games on a portable system? Why will the experience be any different simply because the graphics are upgraded to 3D that can rival that of a home console? They're still games made for a portable system?

Because that's just not the way the industry works. Yes, all GBA games COULD be on home consoles with much better graphics, but they're just not going to be because in most cases 2D doesn't sell. It sells on the GBA because no one's going, "Look at those shit graphics", all games look like that because of the system's limitations.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Average consumers have no attachment to 2D. Nor do they have an attachment to two screens at once. They want interesting games, and at this point it is impossible to tell which side has the more interesting games. Full stop.

Memles

jiggle said:

I don't even think I have to point out the 2D/3D thing, it's too blatantly obvious. But simply, it's a different gaming experience. You have pinball games, you have classic platformers, you have games like Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble. The GBA has become a refuge for SRPGs, RPGs, Puzzle titles, and just about anything one can imagine. The simplicity of portable titles is a real change, simply...even when considering RPGs, or SRPGs, they may be just as deep, but even the cosmetic changes bring it to a level of simplicity and a different type of gaming. The pick up and play aspect of some handheld games, like Wario Ware, is lost on consoles, and it is simply creating a different type of gaming.

When it comes to discussing console sales right now, it seems that everyone eliminates the GBA (Most of us do, anyways). Is this because of inferior technology? A different market? Or is it the style of gameplay, something different from its console cousins, and all its own? Are we going to start counting the PSP at the same level, simply because it offers a console experience? Or does the difference between consoles and handhelds for deeper than simply cosmetic issues, and a lack of girth? I'd say so.

I also tend to think if Nintendo announces Pokemon DS, that will be a huge dent in the PSP armor.

An original Final Fantasy would be the final blow.

fennec fox

evilromero said:
An original Final Fantasy would be the final blow.
Square's existence has been mostly inconsequential to the GBA's sales so far. However, Pokemon would be the first step in dealing with Sony's mini-PS2 lineup.

jiggle

Oh well, guess I'm just completely lost in the arguement since I just don't see what is wrong with having advance 3D graphics on a handheld. I'll just give in to the graphic whore in me, pick a side, shut up, and sit on a rocking chair to watch the days go by.

Memles

jiggle said:
Oh well, guess I'm just completely lost in the arguement since I just don't see what is wrong with having advance 3D graphics on a handheld. I'll just give in to the graphic whore in me, pick a side, shut up, and sit on a rocking chair to watch the days go by.

There's nothing wrong with it, in my view. The point is that the handheld genre has been defined as one void of technological importance. For the most part, technology has not defined the evolution of the handheld gaming industry. If we are now at a point where it will, the effects are not known, and we will see why handheld gaming has truly become a viable industry. Is it to provide a different experience, or a portable one? Is it all about convenience, or about the games themselves? There's nothing wrong with amazing graphics on a handheld...it's just a question as to whether some people give a shit or not.

YAY for 2D!!!...I'm on that side of the fence because they have the 'pick up and play' advanatge. I don't play many 3d games as they tend to be more tedious and time consuming.

2D forever. *flashes 2d sign*

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The only "real" issues I have with the PSP are the issues of battery life and price.

However, being a wacky fanboy, I have a host of other issues... but I'll cleverly mask those by mentioning that I want wireless net-capable Animal Crossing.

(Here-we-go!)

well, I don't get how Kasavin prefers the PSP especially when that big flat wide screen will reflect his bald head in its screen and makes him feel like a small penis

But seriously. ... not again. :p :O I'm more pro DS than I am PSP. I need to know the pricepoint and battery life of the latter to be excited to begin with. And then I need to see what sort of games are being released; if its PS2 derivatives...I'm probably going to pass. The DS at least has the promise of new gameplay. I can't wait to see LOZ DS + more. Nintendo will get this right. Even if they don't use the stylus/touchscreens, their GBA games are stellar and great fun. Mario+Luigi 2 = I am there.

neptunes

I was hyped up for the psp....that is until I saw the NDS tech demos and people playing them.

I immediately became more interested in the DS. (the whole psp battery life thing didn't help either)

fennec fox

TheGreenGiant said:
Mario+Luigi 2 = I am there.
No worries there, the developer of the original is currently toiling on... Hamtaro :(

Some way to reward your dev studios, huh?

|
|
v
Well, yeah, but but but but

neptunes

that's why nintendo should (and I believe they are) increasing relations with 3rd parties.

Allowing them to creating nintendo games so they can free up some divisions at nintendo.

Mario 128 hasn't even decided for a console yet (sheesh!)

If I was into handheld gaming I'd agree with Greg. You can get GT4 and it appears a future GTA exclusively on it. That's two of the best selling franchises ever, and both are selling at their peaks this gen. Not last gen.

GigaDrive

Banned
I hope I'll live to see the day when display technology goes through a paradigm shift--when I can dip my face into a huge bowl-shaped monitor and feel fully immersed in my gaming experiences.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Memles said:
The PSP doesn't lack features, and it doesn't lack a broad focus, it simply lacks a defined one.

The PS2 plays DVDs and Music, but it uses the general media of those...media. It uses CDs and DVDs to play those movies and music. The PSP uses UMD, a different media. It wants you to purchase movies only to be able to play them on PSP, Music that only plays on PSP...for this reason, which is it most meant to do. It it the ONLY device to play that Music, that movies and those games...which one is the most important to them?
You're playing semantics games here. And you're completely ignoring the Memorystick slot which will be a valid way to get audio and video content onto the PSP besides UMD, whether purchased or of you're own making, from a variety of sources - digital camera, video camera, PC downloads, even new Wega TV models are starting to offer the ability to record TV shows directly to MemoryStick.

NWO said:
You can't play DVD format which everyone has their movie collections in.
Not all video content is in DVD format...and we don't know the specifics of UMD movie specifications or how it will be priced and distributed.

You can't play movies for longer than 2 hours.
DVDs aren't much longer.

When given the opportunity to watch a movie on a handheld versus the television I don't know who would choose the handheld. You actually want to be able to see the movie here folks.
And when given the opportunity to bring my 50" widescreen TV and 5.1 surround sound system to work for lunch break viewing, and somehow do it easily and without breaking my back, I'll do just that.

I don't see ANYBODY using this except for morons that like to show off shit that's not practical.
Let's not act like amassing DVD collections is the epitome of practical. If we were all concerned about being practical, none of us would be posting on this board because none of us would be involved in an impractical hobby like videogames.

ypo

By the way some of the nuts are talking here, one would think that the original Gameboy was a tremendous failure. After all, it was offering watered down SNES (or was it NES? Can't remember when it was released) games, only in a portable form.

No one should be recommending one system over the other until pricing and other aspects (definitive battery life, launch library, etc) are settled.

kaching said:
You're playing semantics games here. And you're completely ignoring the Memorystick slot which will be a valid way to get audio and video content onto the PSP besides UMD, whether purchased or of you're own making, from a variety of sources - digital camera, video camera, PC downloads, even new Wega TV models are starting to offer the ability to record TV shows directly to MemoryStick.

The PSP at best is a portable TOY. Sony Memorysticks are quite Expensive.

Expensive Console + MEMcards + UMD + whatever else (say cover).. and I see this not working at all.

Panajev2001a said:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000TN0X0/002-3298150-6974400?v=glance

Again, I like owning people :p.

Edit: Sandisk is the co-inventor of the Memory Stick PRO and PRO DUO formats IIRC.

what? Its not a toy? Memory Sticks aren't expensive? These are costs on top of what you have to pay to use a PSP. I don't see it being bundled anytime soon.

You're comparing a Memstick to a Ps2 mem card. It does cost more even though it has more storage. I agree with that. That's is logical. BUT IT IS STILL EXPENSIVE.

No one's getting owned here.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mama Smurf said:
I guess since no one responded most of you really are happy with portability being the only reason for the PSP.
You make it sound like portability is somehow a trivial reason for making these devices PORTABLE in the first place.

There have been plenty of instances when I wouldn't mind having had the chance to play some of the types of games I enjoy playing on modern consoles that I have at home but which obviously can't go with me everywhere I go. Lunch break at work, like I just mentioned above. On vacations, during downtime. Out with the significant other at the mall, while you wait for her to decide on those shoes she knows she really doesn't need but they're just so darn gorgeous...etc.

There's just an element of convenience and accessibility that can't be denied here. As much as I do love taking advantage of my home theater setup to impart bigscreen, surround sound glory to modern games there are more than enough times where it just isn't convenient or particularly necessary, even when I'm just at home. I can't grab my TV, sound setup and PS2 and take it with me to any room in the house where I feel like getting comfortable. And I don't always have access to the HT setup since others use it as well. And it's a much simpler proposition to offer a portable game device to every gamer in the household than multiple consoles with TVs and possibly sound setups.

TheGreenGiant said:
You're comparing a Memstick to a Ps2 mem card. It does cost more even though it has more storage. I agree with that. That's is logical. BUT IT IS STILL EXPENSIVE.

You don't think Sony is going to release a new set of Memory Sticks that are cheaper than the ones out now? You really don't need a 128megs of room, alot of people are still working on their first 8meg PS2 memory cards.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
who the fuck cares about greg kasavin? how the hell is his opinion more important than my little sisters?

SolidSnakex said:
You don't think Sony is going to release a new set of Memory Sticks that are cheaper than the ones out now? You really don't need a 128megs of room, alot of people are still working on their first 8meg PS2 memory cards.

Not if people are buying them up. I think a price drop on the memory sticks would be more logical.

SolidSnakex said:

no.. I don't think. Do you? :D Do you know this or are you speculating? I think its the latter.. as we all are.

If they do, its only to make a smaller sized stick they can sell for a bigger profit margin... but then seeing how they already have off the shelve sticks that you'd be compelled to purchase... they might not bother.

neptunes

sony could have allowed for all memory stick capability (or the cheaper ones)

but the opted for the most recent one (or the MS version that costs the most)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:

No one ?

You buy memory cards on PlayStation 2 ? Yes we all do.

What can you do with those Memory Cards ? Pretty much only save games ( and putting Linux kernels ;) ).

With the trusty Memory Stick Pro Duo module you can also put music, video, movies ( which you could record with the camera add-on ), pictures, etc... and you can use it with other Sony devices which support the Memory Stick Pro ( with Duo adapter ) Memory Stick Pro Duo modules.

With that single memory card you can save as much data as you could store in 16 PlayStation 2 Memory Cards which means a cost of $400 ( I used the $25 for each 8 MB PlayStation 2 Memory Card as price for that calculation ).

With 128 MB you can store quite a bit of music and small videos as well as your game saves.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TheGreenGiant said:
The PSP at best is a portable TOY. Sony Memorysticks are quite Expensive.

Expensive Console + MEMcards + UMD + whatever else (say cover).. and I see this not working at all.
Some of us have expensive toys. I'm not sure what you're driving at here. It's not like owning and feeding a Gameboy is truly inexpensive. If you think it is then you take your privileges in this world just a little too much for granted.

Memorysticks, like any other flash media, come down in price over time. We still have 6-8 months to wait to see a PSP outside of Japan, so it's a little premature to complain about how expensive everything is.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
no.. I don't think. Do you? :D Do you know this or are you speculating? I think its the latter.. as we all are.

If they do, its only to make a smaller sized stick they can sell for a bigger profit margin... but then seeing how they already have off the shelve sticks that you'd be compelled to purchase... they might not bother.

The price will go down as you will find Sandisk cutting it and with Samsung increasing production this year, Memory Stick prices will fall even further.

TheGreenGiant said:

It wouldn't surprise me. Either way you aren't going to be paying out $50 for a storage device when the PSP is released. They'll either drop the price of the existing sticks (to the price of PS2 memory cards) or making smaller cheaper ones. They didn't get to be #1 by making bad business decisions. I know alot of people want everything on the PSP to be really expensive so it could just bomb out, but that isn't going to happen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
neptunes said:
sony could have allowed for all memory stick capability (or the cheaper ones)

but the opted for the most recent one (or the MS version that costs the most)

They opted for the fastest one ( in terms of Read and Write speeds ): non-PRO Memory Stick modules do not allow you to do real-time recording of audio+video directly onto the memory module and it would have been tougher to have smooth playback of movies out of the memory module.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SolidSnakex said:
It wouldn't surprise me. Either way you aren't going to be paying out $50 for a storage device when the PSP is released. They'll either drop the price of the existing sticks (to the price of PS2 memory cards) or making smaller cheaper ones. They didn't get to be #1 by making stupid business decisions. I know alot of people want everything on the PSP to be really expensive so it could just bomb out, but that isn't going to happen.

Considering that many people buy more than one Memory Card as the usual suspects ( Madden ;) ) can fill-it up quite quickly the price quoted does not seem a bad proposition: also, it would be really helpful for MMOPRGs that go the EQ: OA route and use the Memory Card to store patches and upgrades.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That said, they could have at least supported standard size Pro sticks, instead of just the Duo size ones...I don't think there's any other difference in the spec other than physical size and the fact that Pro Duo sticks max out at 512 meg right now.

Panajev2001a said:
No one ?

With the trusty Memory Stick Pro Duo module you can also put music, video, movies ( which you could record with the camera add-on ), pictures, etc... and you can use it with other Sony devices which support the Memory Stick Pro ( with Duo adapter ) Memory Stick Pro Duo modules..

... that Memstick sure is handy if your world revolves around Sony products. If not... but never fear. I'm sure it's incorporated into PS3. Let me chuck out my Toshiba Laptop and get myself a Sony Vaio with Memstick port. And my digital camera... and my ..... ....

you sound like a marketing brochure. You work for sony or did you get that off the official sony product guide?

Top Bottom