• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport - Announcement trailer and info

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gocha. I thought this was PC only. So this is for PS3/360 owners who want more than GT6 or Forza but don't own a good PC or next gen console.
Think of it more like this is for people who want a game produced with gameplay and design in top priority without the distraction of balancing the highest technology in reach with mere stability. These kind of games happen every generational turnover and are generally the most polished, complete, and great playing games that get released for a system.

Completely off topic. Please change Racenet, because it looks like it was made by someone who was not paid while being tortured. As an example check out Battelog for BF3/BF4. That is a stat tracking website done correctly, or expose the API so that someone can make a good site.

Dice

Drift events confirmed.

i3UgU7dNdasrc.gif

velociraptor

For me project CARS looks even more impressive, and is coming out on everything, and is supporting VR. Like I said, why should I care about this?

The trailer looked pretty good to me, and I am assuming it was PC footage. I don't understand why they aren't releasing this on the new consoles though.

Dice

Option to choose unlimited flashbacks makes me happy! I remember just fooling around in the first Grid, trying to wreck and being limited to 5. Then once I used them up I'd have to start over. I'll turn off all other assists though.
I think it's a great ability not just for goofing around, but for something like learning a new track with a new car. If you have a tricky double turn with significant elevation changes, sometimes you want to try different things to figure out if it's possible to attack it at a certain level rather than just play it safe and slowly push your boundaries more and more, and maybe you don't want to run a bunch of full laps just to test things out on the tricky spot.

I love options. Options are always great. Options are never bad.

Juicy Bob

I think it's a great ability not just for goofing around, but for something like learning a new track with a new car. If you have a tricky double turn with significant elevation changes, sometimes you want to try different things to figure out if it's possible to attack it at a certain level rather than just play it safe and slowly push your boundaries more and more, and maybe you don't want to run a bunch of full laps just to test things out on the tricky spot.

I love options. Options are always great. Options are never bad.
I don't know about the modern MotoGP games, but the old THQ ones had this feature that allowed you to fly around and spawn your bike at any point on a track whenever you liked in practice sessions. A very 'gamey' feature, but really useful to help experiment with a single corner or section of a track without having to do entire laps of a circuit.

amar212

HUD OFF

Loore, please, talk to programmers and find a way to give us one button in mapping presets that can turn on/off HUD in real-time during gameplay in all modes

It is something that should be a standard in all driving games and so few of them actually have that option

It is also a Heaven's Gift to all of us plasma owners

Thank you in advance :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Y'all hatin on GRID 2 need to admit that it is actually a great game and you just don't prefer the style of racer that it is. Simcade is a burgeoning genre and GRID 2 is the best one. A bad game fails at what it attempts. GRID 2 just had different dreams for itself than what you had for it.

That said, I am very excited about this new game. 22 locations!

I was going to write a long rant about why GRID 2's physics and handling are superior in every way to GRID 1, and how all the haters need to sit down and play the damn game with a decent force feedback steering wheel in order to obtain the most out of it, but nah....your post sums it it nicely.

Still looking forward to GAS however.

amar212

I was going to write a long rant about why GRID 2's physics and handling are superior in every way to GRID 1, and how all the haters need to sit down and play the damn game with a decent force feedback steering wheel in order to obtain the most out of it, but nah....your post sums it it nicely.

Still looking forward to GAS however.

Full stop agree with you and Dice over Grid 2. With proper FFB wheel it is the best "contemporary" arcade racer of this generation, dimensionaly better than Grid 1. If it only had more events ans tracks.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Full stop agree with you and Dice over Grid 2. With proper FFB wheel it is the best "contemporary" arcade racer of this generation, dimensionaly better than Grid 1. If it only had more events ans tracks.

Hi amar :)

Dice

For me GRID 2 reminded me a lot of Ridge Racer or Sega Rally. Though, if you actually go back and play those games again, it is obviously way more of a sim than them. So I think it is legit to call it simcade. Some people think "simcade" is just any sim that isn't 100% perfect as can be simulation, but I never saw anything even approaching that at any arcade. Arcade racers were always so wild and flashy and reckless. They were about pushing limits and coming out of it instead of facing consequences.

To me it is an issue of complexity/mindfulness in controls. Even if it isn't getting things done accurately, does it have enough particulars you have to take into account to not break shit? Then it is a simulation. Arcade by contrast seems to have just two or three big things to be mindful of, and you fly right through it, only losing if your faults held back your speed. Simcade is somewhere between, where it has quite a bit more things involved than arcade, but isn't bogging you down, and usually consequences are optional. If skilled at racers you could still play a new track with a new car and win, doing some bullshit things along the way.

I like all kinds of racers in different ways, so I was fine with where GRID 2 rested. It knew what it was going for and let it rip. I felt sometimes it was too crazy to treat like a real sim, so I kept real damage off as that would have hindered the heart and attitude I felt it was giving, especially with its randomized pathway courses. But as cheesy as it could be, shit like this and this still made for a fun ride.

Autosport feature request in light of these videos: Let me play my own music, or offer more variety in the music.

Aerocrane

Codemasters released a list of officially supported controllers in GRID Autosport.
A list of achievements and system requirements of the PC version were also recently released.

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 5400+
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD3000 or AMD HD2000 Series or NVIDIA Geforce 8000 Series
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 15GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X compatible soundcard

Recommended:

OS: Windows Vista 64 bit, Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 or AMD FX Series
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD5200 or AMD HD7000 Series or NVIDIA GTX600 Series minimum 1GB RAM
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 20GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X compatible soundcard

Supported Graphics Cards

Intel HD3000 Series, HD4000 Series, HD5000 Series
AMD Radeon HD2000 Series, HD3000 Series, HD4000 Series, HD5000 Series, HD6000 Series, HD7000 Series, R7 Series, R9 Series
NVIDIA GeForce 8000 Series, 9000 Series, GTX200 Series, GTX400 Series, GTX500 Series, GTX600 Series, GTX700 Series
AMD Fusion A8 or higher

Fox Mulder

Option to choose unlimited flashbacks makes me happy! I remember just fooling around in the first Grid, trying to wreck and being limited to 5. Then once I used them up I'd have to start over. I'll turn off all other assists though.

yes

I'm playing f1 and having just got into the sport, needed flashbacks when learning new tracks and getting used to the handling.

limiting them always seemed stupid.

Anyone know where I can find the Black Edition for PC in the U.S.? Gamestop doesn't have it listed, nor does Amazon. Guessing that version is PS3/360 only here, then?

Anyone know where I can find the Black Edition for PC in the U.S.? Gamestop doesn't have it listed, nor does Amazon. Guessing that version is PS3/360 only here, then?

It's a digital only release on PC in North America. Will be up on Steam next week all going to plan.

Downloaded the 60fps trailer. Nice.
Does this mean the game runs at 60fps on consoles?

It's a locked 30 FPS on consoles

Mohonky

Y'all hatin on GRID 2 need to admit that it is actually a great game and you just don't prefer the style of racer that it is. Simcade is a burgeoning genre and GRID 2 is the best one. A bad game fails at what it attempts. GRID 2 just had different dreams for itself than what you had for it.

That said, I am very excited about this new game. 22 locations!

I loved Grid, Grid 2 was a pos. there was little redeeming factors to that game. It was just horrible, dont even get me started on that horrible ai rubber banding.

First racing game in a long time I couldnt bring myself to finish.

Speaking of going back to roots, when are codemasters going to make another Dirt? Without all the gymkhana and dudebro wank (fuck pastrana, block and co off entirely). The first Dirt had a great feel to it with good variety without being an x-game wank fest.

Hi Mr Codies. Would you say the handling in this game is closer to Toca 2 then Grid 2?

It's the polar opposite to GRID 2, if I was to put numbers on it I'd say it's 60:40 in favour of Sim. Still has that same GRID feeling but is more like our older games than more recent ones.

DD

I've played Toca 2 a lot, but it was long time ago. Is the handling similar to Toca 3? Because although Toca 3 is a great game, the handling of the cars suck. It feels like the physics is calculated like three times per second. It's weird as f*ck. You can't feel the weight of the cars, the weight transference... EDIT: the CMR games suffer from the same issue.

My favorite simcade handling/phisics model is the one used in Dirt 2. I didn't felt the same quality of handling in Dirt 3, though. F1 2012 and 2013 does that very well too, in my oppinion. But Grid is a different beast, of course. It shouldn't have the same downforce level as a F1 car (but Grid 2 does that, lol), nor it should be so... uh, driftey as in a Dirt game, 'cuz it's not a rally game.

amar212

Here's some info on the Mechanical Damage system we've got in GRID Autosport.

Basically, the great return of the AMAZING real-time mechanical damage from the TOCA Race Driver series.

My humble congratulations on that decision to all parties involved! You are ticking all the right boxes, amazing appliance of NoRaeburn Philosophy™

Loore, this particular article does not however provide details of the "ownership/maintenance" consequences we talked about before. Are the long-term wear and consequences of the bad handling and crashes still part of the game-design - together with their implementation in online - as you announced two weeks ago?

Also, the Acheivement/Trophy list is hinting of a separate batch of cars for online with their own "leveling" if I understood everything well?

Here are the keys
Buy a car in Online

An icon in the pit lane
One of your cars reached level 99 in Online

Or does it concern "offline" cars which are used in online?

And please, see if there is ANY CHANCE for the following option:

- Dedicated button to have HUD ON/OFF during a race in the real-time

Thank you in advance!

Basically, the great return of the AMAZING real-time mechanical damage from the TOCA Race Driver series.

My humble congratulations on that decision to all parties involved! You are ticking all the right boxes, amazing appliance of NoRaeburn Philosophy™

Glad you like it!

Loore, this particular article does not however provide details of the "ownership/maintenance" consequences we talked about before. Are the long-term wear and consequences of the bad handling and crashes still part of the game-design - together with their implementation in online - as you announced two weeks ago?

More on that soon, we'll have a similar style article going up in the next 2-3 weeks that covers that.

Also, the Acheivement/Trophy list is hinting of a separate batch of cars for online with their own "leveling" if I understood everything well?

Single and multiplayer are two entirely separate systems.

- Dedicated button to have HUD ON/OFF during a race in the real-time Thank you in advance!

Not at this time. You can turn your HUD off in the options or individual elements of it.

amar212

Glad you like it!

Everybody should like it, it is the best damage system ever seen on console games (and maybe even wider). It is only one of the 10 details that were truly legendary in TOCA Race Driver 3 and also my favorite one.

Ability to damage gearbox with miss-shifts or suspension with kerb-riding was damn awesome and possibility to completely evaporate rubber from the wheels is still unprecedented on consoles (and wider).

Pro-Simulation setting with 900-steering was great too while flag-system was almost flawless in execution. Which brings me to question, are the flags present in GASP?

More on that soon, we'll have a similar style article going up in the next 2-3 weeks that covers that.

Great to hear, thank you.

Single and multiplayer are two entirely separate systems.

So, like GRID 2. Good, I think it was great system, with basically 2 completely separated games in one package, which is great for the longevity of the title.

Not at this time. You can turn your HUD off in the options or individual elements of it.

Could you ask the programmers to discuss the possibility of such option for some ttile update? I know noone thinks it is important option, but from the immersion point of view it is amazing option for the racing games. Also, every plasma-owner will be eternally grateful as well.

And sorry to ask you publicly, but did you maybe check your PM's, thank you in advance.

Megasoum

Banned
Who said we aren't?

Here's some info on the Mechanical Damage system we've got in GRID Autosport.

That sounds great, really happy to see that kind of mechanical damage in the game....

However I'm curious about that line:

For instance, gearbox damage will build up every time you change gear, while over-revving and shifting at the wrong time, (primarily in manual gears), will cause the gearbox to accrue damage more quickly.

How do you miss a shift while not in manual gears? lol

Wow!

Is the mechanical damage suffered in the race permanent until manually repaired or is it automatically repaired after each race?

A small percentage of damage is carried over as “wear and tear”, and the more you race the more it'll add up.

Your car will always start the next race in a race worthy condition but as wear and tear builds up it will start to lose its edge. It’s that underlying gradual loss of performance which can be repaired to bring the car back to its “good-as-new” state.

While any car can be repaired back to mint condition, higher-mileage ones will wear out faster than their factory-fresh equivalents.

I will never understand why Amazon doesn't list the PC version of Codemaster games for preorder. Seems like every time I go to order one on there they don't have it listed to right before release or after.

saladine1

A small percentage of damage is carried over as “wear and tear”, and the more you race the more it'll add up.

Your car will always start the next race in a race worthy condition but as wear and tear builds up it will start to lose its edge. It’s that underlying gradual loss of performance which can be repaired to bring the car back to its “good-as-new” state.

While any car can be repaired back to mint condition, higher-mileage ones will wear out faster than their factory-fresh equivalents.

Very nice touch!

Thanks.

Megasoum

Banned
With all the latest Driveclub news and lack of steering support on PS4 combined with the infos in this thread I am seriously hyped for Grid now (wow I never thought I would say that one day haha).

So Loore, I know you are only slowly giving us info (fair enough) but can we at least know when we'll be able to pre-order the game on steam? The game page is up but there is no price or pre-order option yet.

Top Bottom