• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport - Announcement trailer and info

With all the latest Driveclub news and lack of steering support on PS4 combined with the infos in this thread I am seriously hyped for Grid now (wow I never thought I would say that one day haha).

So Loore, I know you are only slowly giving us info (fair enough) but can we at least know when we'll be able to pre-order the game on steam? The game page is up but there is no price or pre-order option yet.

Steam pre-orders should be up next week (end of) all going to plan :)

If there's certain info you want to see us talking about then now is the time to let me know what it is, and we'll see what we can do :) If it's not something we've got in the schedule we'll look at adding it if the demand is there and if it is in the schedule I can at least tell you (roughly) when it'll be dropping :)

Megasoum

Banned

If there's certain info you want to see us talking about then now is the time to let me know what it is, and we'll see what we can do :) If it's not something we've got in the schedule we'll look at adding it if the demand is there and if it is in the schedule I can at least tell you (roughly) when it'll be dropping :)

Well the main info I want to know is the track list but I imagine that this is also one of the biggest chunk of the pre-release PR lol.

Speaking of tracks, I'll even accept DLC tracks if they are great north american tracks. It's about time we get some Canada love in our racing games... I want Mosport, I want Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve (you already have it because of F1 btw) and might as well throw in Road Atlanta too... it's not in Canada but it's still amazing.

Well the main info I want to know is the track list but I imagine that this is also one of the biggest chunk of the pre-release PR lol.

Speaking of tracks, I'll even accept DLC tracks if they are great north american tracks. It's about time we get some Canada love in our racing games... I want Mosport, I want Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve (you already have it because of F1 btw) and might as well throw in Road Atlanta too... it's not in Canada but it's still amazing.

Yeah, tracks will come in chunks :) 15 circuits, 1 demo derby figure of 8 and 6 cities if I've done my math right (it has been a long two weeks :p)

Track based DLC is something we have experience of in GRID 2 and I think we're big enough to admit we didn't do it quite as well as we'd have liked. If you're to see tracks as DLC in Autosport you're more likely to receive a 'pack' (similar to a CoD map pack or similar) as opposed to just one on its own.

Canadian tracks you say, nice part of the world I hear :)

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, tracks will come in chunks :) 15 circuits, 1 demo derby figure of 8 and 6 cities if I've done my math right (it has been a long two weeks :p)

Track based DLC is something we have experience of in GRID 2 and I think we're big enough to admit we didn't do it quite as well as we'd have liked. If you're to see tracks as DLC in Autosport you're more likely to recieve a 'pack' (similar to a CoD map pack or similar) as opposed to just one offering.

Ohhhh

amar212

If you're to see tracks as DLC in Autosport you're more likely to receive a 'pack' (similar to a CoD map pack or similar) as opposed to just one on its own.

Good idea and it helps in avoiding split of the userbase.

After all, in 2 months after the release of ANY game, only the most interested players stay, mainstream players move to other *hot* game. So, proper big DLC with lots of content - even more expensive one - will net bigger interest and commercial acceptance than bunch of small DLC packages that often ends as major userbase-splitter. Good decision IMO

Can I ask again about penalty/flag system?

TheBear

Track based DLC is something we have experience of in GRID 2 and I think we're big enough to admit we didn't do it quite as well as we'd have liked. If you're to see tracks as DLC in Autosport you're more likely to receive a 'pack' (similar to a CoD map pack or similar) as opposed to just one on its own.

One of my biggest gripes about track packs in racing games is lack of SP content.
Will DLC track packs have SP content?

Tizoc

I think this was answered before but here goes:
1- Will PC ver. support Dual Shock 4/PS4 controller?
2- There will be offline splitscreen for at least 2 players right?
3- I take it any type of racing car in the game can go up against any other vehicle right? Sort of like in the PS2 Burnout games.

Pimpbaa

Utterly baffled at the lack of a next gen versions and the excuses for not doing are questionable. Codemaster's racing games already looked a generation ahead on PC due to 60fps (and higher), and resolutions at or above 1080p. Giving that and the fact that the consoles are x86 based and gamers (ps4 gamers in particular) are hungry for a racing game. Its like leaving money on the table. The time to go out with a bang with last gen was last year.

One of my biggest gripes about track packs in racing games is lack of SP content.
Will DLC track packs have SP content?

I can't confirm DLC but if we were to do it then one of the key things we'd like to do is more SP content. Whether that's in the form of new championships or something, who knows. But yes, we believe additional content should carry across to both SP and MP where possible.

I think this was answered before but here goes:
1- Will PC ver. support Dual Shock 4/PS4 controller?
2- There will be offline splitscreen for at least 2 players right?
3- I take it any type of racing car in the game can go up against any other vehicle right? Sort of like in the PS2 Burnout games.

1) Not yet, once the official drivers are released for it we'll be taking a look
2) Yes, two player local split-screen is in
3) Cars are broken down into a class, you can't race multiple classes against each other at this time

Phinor

1) Not yet, once the official drivers are released for it we'll be taking a look

Worth mentioning that it's 99% likely PS4 controller works in Grid Autosport using third party hacks/drivers (I assume X360 controller works?). It's not like any game on PC officially supports that controller right now, but I've been happily playing games with it on PC for months. Haven't had any problems yet - as long as the game supports X360 controller.

Obviously Codemasters can't promise that the controller works using third party software.

Lego Boss

Utterly baffled at the lack of a next gen versions and the excuses for not doing are questionable. Codemaster's racing games already looked a generation ahead on PC due to 60fps (and higher), and resolutions at or above 1080p. Giving that and the fact that the consoles are x86 based and gamers (ps4 gamers in particular) are hungry for a racing game. Its like leaving money on the table. The time to go out with a bang with last gen was last year.

X-Gen games will mean that you'll probably not get the very best experience, while the latest last-gen games tend to be the very best the generation has to offer. Remember Fight Night 3? Cracking game, but it suffered from x-gen development. Let Codies concentrate fully on next gen and, if they've properly returned to form (which it looks like they have here) then it will be very special indeed.

Megasoum

Banned
Will this game have improved wheel support on PS3? Not crazy about how my Fanatec CSR interacted with 2.

I haven't tried it myself on PS3 but I don't think Grid 2 was really a wheel kind of game so no matter how good the wheel support is, if it's super arcade then there's no saving that.

From what we've heard so far the physics will be a bit more sim in the new one so hopefully the wheels will work better.

I wish they would get proper button placement when using a Porsches or CSR wheel on the PC version (in PC Mode) since it's been completely wrong for a while now but I think that's more of a Fanatec issue. At least you can still use the PS3 mode (so G27) on PC.

Jamesways

Are there any GT cars confirmed for this yet? How about Prototypes?

From the trailer, I see Grid 2 cars in a more official race setting.

One of the biggest things I loved about Grid 1 was the inclusion of the 2006 LeMans series (aside from Ferrari). Would love to see some GT class racing make a return.

DD

One of the biggest things I loved about Grid 1 was the inclusion of the 2006 LeMans series (aside from Ferrari). Would love to see some GT class racing make a return.

iueVr2fljmTUG.jpg

Kssio_Aug

The one thing I dont like about GRID is how it looks like youre always driving on a soap! Hope that one is different.

"Each discipline has a number of dedicated series within them; ranging from Touring Cars, GT, Single-Seaters, Muscle Cars, Drift, Supercars, Hypercars, Time Attack, Prototypes and many, many more."

"Each discipline has a number of dedicated series within them; ranging from Touring Cars, GT, Single-Seaters, Muscle Cars, Drift, Supercars, Hypercars, Time Attack, Prototypes and many, many more."

Are you in a position to detail any of those prototypes? I'd love to see something like the 787B come back.

DJ Gunner

I just want to voice my support for Codies on this and I'm very much looking forward to late June. GRID 1 was one of my all time favorite racers and while Grid 2 fell short, it was still a gorgeous game to play. This looks like a huge step in the proper direction and will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Tizoc

2) Yes, two player local split-screen is in
3) Cars are broken down into a class, you can't race multiple classes against each other at this time

Thanks for the info.
Re #3, I wouldn't mind it being unlockable in-game but please don't make it a paid DLC =P
Otherwise will be getting this game on PC.

amar212

The cockpit at 9:46 in the Hockenheim video hurts my eyes, why even include that camera?

Because Average Joes will not care, and frankly - nor will I.

I take lower IQ and blur for the cockpit camera against not having it.

Good call IMO

BTW Loore, when does the F12013 GOTY Edition releases out of the UK?

The cockpit at 9:46 in the Hockenheim video hurts my eyes, why even include that camera?
Because people wanted cockpit cam, so they put it back in. For some reason, whether it's performance or time restrictions, they're unable to fill out the detail of these cockpits. They've given it a DOF effect, which is not all that unrealistic if you're travelling at speed and staring into the distance, which covers up the lack of detail somewhat. The alternative would have been a silhouette, like Gran Turismo's 'standard' cars - I think this is a better solution.

The Shift series did a similar thing to create a sense of speed, but it was dynamic based on how fast you were going.

It shouldn't hurt your eyes though - you're just expecting it to come back into focus by staring at it. The solution is to use it as designed - don't stare at it, and watch where you're going! ;) The point of a cockpit cam isn't to ogle at car interiors, it's to give you the correct perspective. Of course the camera should be there!

Megasoum

Banned
Because people wanted cockpit cam, so they put it back in. For some reason, whether it's performance or time restrictions, they're unable to fill out the detail of these cockpits. They've given it a DOF effect, which is not all that unrealistic if you're travelling at speed and staring into the distance, which covers up the lack of detail somewhat. The alternative would have been a silhouette, like Gran Turismo's 'standard' cars - I think this is a better solution.

The Shift series did a similar thing to create a sense of speed, but it was dynamic based on how fast you were going.

It shouldn't hurt your eyes though - you're just expecting it to come back into focus by staring at it. The solution is to use it as designed - don't stare at it, and watch where you're going! ;) The point of a cockpit cam isn't to ogle at car interiors, it's to give you the correct perspective. Of course the camera should be there!

Yeah it's a bit dissapointing but I take that over no cockpit at all any day.

Also, since there is some kind of cockpit in place there's a good chance that moders will be able to swap the textures for highres ones on PC. Might not be a perfect solution but still.

Wat this has been announced like a month ago where was I back then

I love pretty much everything so far, I even like the old tracks being back Jarama is such a classic for me because of the first game, San Francisco was never a favorite of mine but it's awesome to have it back - Is Milan back too? I loved racing there, everyone just kept crashing at the beginning. I've seen a couple new tracks - I hope there's a lot of new content, I love having tracks from Grid 1 back but not at the expense of something new.

Top Bottom