• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Groundhogs Day: Tetsuya Nomura says Versus will be unveiled, please wait a while

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
...enforced silence from Sony because the switch to PS4?
You think Sony has that kind of power? They very likely lost their exclusivity deal with Agent as well, so I don't have much confidence that this deal which is much older persisted until now.

Shikoro

I love how the guy asking the question said this at the end of it. With a rising intonation.
楽しみに待っています!

Killed me. XD

DieH@rd

Banned
You think Sony has that kind of power? They very likely lost their exclusivity deal with Agent as well, so I don't have much confidence that this deal which is much older persisted until now.

If the game was switched to PS4, that alone would be a enourmous reason to continue keeping silence in 2012 [basic NDA agreement that no game can be announced before hardware itself].

A snippet from the new translation:

“It’s a delicate situation within the company. Very delicate.” explains Nomura. “We’ve been quiet for a year now, but the date is already set for our next reveal and we are steadily working toward preparing information for that. Last year we failed to announce anything about the game – to be honest I talked about sharing new information but wasn’t able to and I want to apologize for that.”

CorvoSol

I love how the guy asking the question said this at the end of it. With a rising intonation.
楽しみに待っています!

Killed me. XD

Yeah I totally know what those characters mean and get your joke. But just for the poor plebs who totally don't. Who aren't me. What are you talking about?

Taruranto

Ah I see Tumblrvision has finally invaded this thread.

How can you like these babes?

ibtcSunrcquPyT.gif

Truly in the vein of the older FFs.

legacyzero

Banned
Was hoping this was cancelled.

Why would they do that though?

TBH, I can see them putting a number on Versus as FF 15, and pushing it to next gen. It would make sense.

Although, if Versus gets released, and fails, I hope Nomura steps down and sticks to the art department like the old Square-soft days.

Ponn

Banned
Bought a PS3 for Versus and The Last Guardian? Sorry, but for real buy a PS4 to play them. We're super serious this time.

Ganondorfo

I hope they will make a final fantasy like 6 or 9 again with iconic characters like locke, terra, zidane, steiner, garnet, .. and awesome villains with great looking design and epic final boss themes like kefka and kuja.
But I doubt they will make a final fantasy like that again, because none of the rpg developers these days makes a jrpg like they did generations before.

Star ocean 4: not the same as 1-2
Xenoblade: not the same as xenogears
Dragon quest 10: not as adventurous and epic as 4-6

Amir0x

Banned
man this is the most hilariously protracted game development ever. Because at least with Duke Nukem Forever they just sort of forgot it existed and stopped updating people after a while, but with Versus they're like "TRUST US IT'S COMING ONE DAY OH GOD WHY ARE WE AT THIS POINT HOW DID WE GET HERE"

Hopefully it is a goddamn PS4 title and we can get this shit out already :p

prwxv3

man this is the most hilariously protracted game development ever. Because at least with Duke Nukem Forever they just sort of forgot it existed and stopped updating people after a while, but with Versus they're like "TRUST US IT'S COMING ONE DAY OH GOD WHY ARE WE AT THIS POINT HOW DID WE GET HERE"

Hopefully it is a goddamn PS4 title and we can get this shit out already :p

Honestly its in SE best interest to put it on PS4 and rename it to FF XV. The thirteen brand is toxic and mainline final fantasy games always have far more excitement then sequels or spinoffs. And if its on PS4 they can get even more excitement and hype then launching it on PS3.

They need to strengthen the FF brand and even though the install base of the PS3 will obviously be much higher then PS4 for a while launching it on that console will not strengthen the brand much. Of course the game needs to be good too.

Shikoro

Yeah I totally know what those characters mean and get your joke. But just for the poor plebs who totally don't. Who aren't me. What are you talking about?
It's a joke referring to the waiting we're going through. Not really funny in English, but the way it's said in Japanese is. :p

Jigolo

Just awaken the prince already.damn

Though if this game doesn't play like KH it's already dead to me. That's what had me interested in the 1st place.

Elios83

A snippet from the new translation:

“It’s a delicate situation within the company. Very delicate.” explains Nomura. “We’ve been quiet for a year now, but the date is already set for our next reveal and we are steadily working toward preparing information for that. Last year we failed to announce anything about the game – to be honest I talked about sharing new information but wasn’t able to and I want to apologize for that.”

A platform switch fits well with the "I wasn't allowed to share new details" part.
But at the same time if he wanted to share new details, it seems unlikely that the game is no longer on PS3 otherwise he would have known by himself that it wasn't possible to share anymore infos until the PS4 was announced.
Maybe the reason is that he wasn't allowed to talk about it simply because of marketing issues (focus on other titles) but who knows...
The situation around this game is definetly a mess.
But at this point we know that there will be a Final Fantasy PS4 announcement at E3 and Nomura is talking about 'date set' and 'a little longer (LOL)' for Versus.
So well....we can only wait until E3.
At this point I hope they make a PS4 version of the game (exclusive or not I don't really care), since the game will be released next year I'd like to play a better version on a modern console.

Edit: I missed this part of the translation:
“Perhaps the details as to why information couldn’t be released might be touched upon with the next information announcement.”

Well...he's obviously talking about a platform switch here :p

....I think I say this to myself every year, but I'm giving them till E3 and/or TGS. Also, for the love of god, do not let the next big reveal merely be a date for when actual content will be shown.

Is North Korea's military in charge of Final Fantasy Versus XIII's marketing?

North Korea perfectly describes the impression I get from his "It's a delicate situation within the company...".

... with Toriyama being Kim Jong Un

... and South Korea being Nomura and Versus....

Go_Ly_Dow

tell me more, was your dream about the battlesystem? I am pretty curious to see what the final battlesystem is like :)

The previous night it was just fields and shit, it looked current gen.

Last night it was fields again, some hills, woods, forests (with a Flan in the forest) and finally a long beach/shore. Very realistic lighting and looked next-gen.

In both it was very seamless, connected and seemed open world. There was a mountain bike like GTA.

Noctis also has his original outfit.

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN!?

Soriku

Edit: I missed this part of the translation:
“Perhaps the details as to why information couldn’t be released might be touched upon with the next information announcement.”

Well...he's obviously talking about a platform switch here :p

lol he's saying "perhaps" a reason could be "touched" upon. If it were on the PS4 it'd be pretty damn obvious to everyone why he couldn't talk about it. Sony wasn't planning a PS4 reveal in 2012.

Last night it was fields again, some hills, woods, forests (with a Flan in the forest) and finally a long beach/shore. Very realistic lighting and looked next-gen.

In both it was very seamless, connected and seemed open world. There was a mountain bike like GTA.

you are going crazy with the waiting. lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
lol he's saying "perhaps" a reason could be "touched" upon. If it were on the PS4 it'd be pretty damn obvious to everyone why he couldn't talk about it. Sony wasn't planning a PS4 reveal in 2012.

They were, but plans changed.

Soriku

They were, but plans changed.

OK. When in 2012? Earlier in the year? The last time Nomura said they had a date set for more info was in July 2011. Would be really odd to say that if the date was set like a year or more away, unless Sony kept delaying a PS4 reveal date throughout the year and then eventually decided on 2013.

Elios83

The way I read it, he's saying that when they announce Versus again they'll be able to talk about why the long silence as well.
If the game was switched to PS4 it will be become apparent why they couldn't talk about it when they make an announcement at E3. They couldn't talk about the game until its new platform was officially announced.
It's the same situation of the Last Guardian.

Elios83

I think the last batch of PS3 games will be cross gen titles...Last of Us, Beyond, GT6, Final Fantasy Versus 13, The Last Guardian

That is also a strong possibility.
Publishers don't want to abandon the current gen and leave the money on the table. We'll see games being scaled on different platforms for a couple of years until the transition is completed.

Persona86

Banned
I think the last batch of PS3 games will be cross gen titles...Last of Us, Beyond, GT6, Final Fantasy Versus 13, The Last Guardian

GTA5?

Cross gen games will definitely help bring in more PS4 buyers IMO. At least it will make a day 1 buy more worth it for me anyway.

DieH@rd

Banned

Next time dream about release date. :) We have come to the stage when your dreams are the most reliable source of the information about Versus.

Soriku

Outside of maybe GT6 I don't really expect any of those titles to be cross gen. Versus and TLG especially. SE doesn't do cross gen titles (DQ X being an exception since it's an MMO) and I see them focusing on one platform like they usually do. Same for TLG. So basically I expect one or both to stay PS3 exclusive, or become PS4 exclusive.

There's also Dark Souls 2 which isn't cross gen. Nor Lightning Returns. Nor KH 1.5 Remix or FF X HD. Not Drakengard 3. Nor the eventual KH 2.5 Remix. The next Atelier isn't cross gen too. The next Tales and Persona 5 won't be cross gen either.

Basically cross gen is hardly a guarantee unless you're Ubisoft or EA or something.

Mario007

OK. When in 2012? Earlier in the year? The last time Nomura said they had a date set for more info was in July 2011. Would be really odd to say that if the date was set like a year or more away, unless Sony kept delaying a PS4 reveal date throughout the year and then eventually decided on 2013.
Why do you think Square debuted Agni, Epic debuted UE4, Ubi debuted Watchdogs and Lucasarts debuted Star War 1313 at e3 last year?

From what I've read a lot of people in the industry were expecting a next gen console announcement at e3 last year and were subsequently pissed at Sony and MS for not having one.

I'm tired of waiting for this game. If they don't show anything new videos of Versus this year, I'm giving up on it. Then again, if they do wind up releasing it at some point, I'll be insanely hyped and get it regardless. Square has me wrapped around their finger with this game.

Soriku

Why do you think Square debuted Agni, Epic debuted UE4, Ubi debuted Watchdogs and Lucasarts debuted Star War 1313 at e3 last year?

From what I've read a lot of people in the industry were expecting a next gen console announcement at e3 last year and were subsequently pissed at Sony and MS for not having one.

I don't know? I don't think tech demos necessarily have to correlate with new platform announcements at the same time. Aren't presentations made months in advance anyway? Third parties would've already known for a while that Sony/MS weren't planning on showing anything.

Hell SE could've debuted Agni at any time they felt like it. It's not like they had anything new to show at the Sony conference that they were holding back on :/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Right, many were expecting some sort of reveal by E3 last year but things were likely delayed due to specs updates/changes.

Go_Ly_Dow

Next time dream about release date. :) We have come to the stage when your dreams are the most reliable source of the information about Versus.

Will see if I can dig up any info on the battle system tonight.

Still yet to see any HD towns. Need to go deeper....

Mario007

I don't know? I don't think tech demos necessarily have to correlate with new platform announcements at the same time. Aren't presentations made months in advance anyway? Third parties would've already known for a while that Sony/MS weren't planning on showing anything.

Hell SE could've debuted Agni at any time they felt like it. It's not like they had anything new to show at the Sony conference that they were holding back on :/
It seemed more like SE and Epi pretty much saying 'fuck it, we're ready if you guys are not' to both Sony and MS. How many times has SE made a tech demo on 'high end PC hardware' as opposed the actual console.

Also you're leaving out Watch_Dogs and Star Wars which were both debuted on 'high end PCs'. This was a case of third parties being ready for next gen but MS and Sony pulling the plug at the, relatively, last minute. We even had a Gaffer claiming here that one game released last Christmas was meant for next gen.

Top Bottom