• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport - Nürburgring race in spectator mode

bombshell

I was asking whether damage modelling and collision detection has been implemented in GT series yet. Going by that video, it doesn't look like it.

Damage was in GT5, never played GT6 so honestly not sure if that had it too and it's in the internal build of GTS, just not shown yet.

p3n

ITT: People who don't know how spectator/replay positional data transfer rate and interpolation is handled are emberassing themselves. I suggest looking at online replays in FM6, GT6, PCars or Assetto Corsa and focus on the interaction of the cars that didn't involve the host/player. A frame-perfect representation of all the positions and most collisions would require everyone to have a maximum of 8ms (16ms RTT) delay to the server/host. Everything else is interpolated and predicted data that is corrected at a much lower frequency. This leads to the unnatural movements we see in the spectator mode footage. It can be improved by using much better prediction but it will never be a 1:1 representation of the ingame physics.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Pretty sure I'll still be getting it, but visually that video still shows some issues. Not sure if the flickering fence is caused by youtube compression, but there are also some LOD problems, rough shadows, and the lack of particle effects when the car spins through the dirt (I'm bothered by that the most tbh).

Solal

ITT: People who don't know how spectator/replay positional data transfer rate and interpolation is handled are emberassing themselves. I suggest looking at online replays in FM6, GT6, PCars or Assetto Corsa and focus on the interaction of the cars that didn't involve the host/player. A frame-perfect representation of all the positions and most collisions would require everyone to have a maximum of 8ms (16ms RTT) delay to the server/host. Everything else is interpolated and predicted data that is corrected at a much lower frequency. This leads to the unnatural movements we see in the spectator mode footage. It can be improved by using much better prediction but it will never be a 1:1 representation of the ingame physics.

So ? Nobody said it's easy to do. Just that it just looks weird, or plain bad. What's wrong with that ?

Branson

Them bumper cars. Hype race at the end but damn. In some modern sims they would not have been able to get away with that kind of racing in the final corners.

p3n

So ? Nobody said it's easy to do. Just that it just looks weird, or plain bad. What's wrong with that ?

Nothing wrong with that as long as it is not painted with the annoying hyperbole I see in every GT thread lately. Every attempt at a somewhat constructive discussion about the spectator mode and the online focus got derailed by shitposting. Jumping to conclusions about the physics or car handling from online spectator footage is pointless and embarrassing.

I can't get over how this has FIA license and is "official", with those pinball looking races.

I mean, personally I don't care I'm not an expert sim player so the middle of the road approach in GT was enough for me, but this should be much better for an official sanctioned FIA game.

Mokubba

Loved the racing. Especially when they went 4 wide down the straight.

Wasn't interested in spectator mode before but this changed my mind. I'm intrigued now

Three

Bad compared to what that's the question. You've missed the point of that post. Spectator mode in most games look like this.

M52B28

Banned
So basically no dev should ever show a game then.
That's not at all what am implying, so I suggest you not go there.

I am wondering why PD insists on showing an incomplete and buggy game. It goes against the quality that they are held to and it makes them look foolish.

Developers should show their games when they feel is right, but they also need to make sure that the builds that they show are consistently getting better to reassure to the fans that it's not the final product.

From what I've seen, this game is getting better, but I don't think it's going to get all that better. If I'm wrong, I'll admittedly be such.

They're making promises and gurantees, so they should live to that.

Solal

I can't get over how this has FIA license and is "official", with those pinball looking races.

I mean, personally I don't care I'm not an expert sim player so the middle of the road approach in GT was enough for me, but this should be much better for an official sanctioned FIA game.

We shouldn't give too much credit to the whole FIA approved thing... it's just a marketing decision: the fastest way for PD to get "Race credibility" (even though their game is far from ready for competitive play)...and for FIA, this was just a way of touching a younger and different audience) It's a win-win fot both PD and FIA.

For us ? It's just PR bullshit (does anyone think that FIA could tell Kaz: "look man, your game collisions is crap: you need to rework it or you won't get FIA approval...") AFAIK the whole FIA approval in video games did not even exist. They made it up...so it doesn't mean shit.

Normally, it should be a standard (rules and regulations) that any racing game could submit to, not something between only 2 commercial partners.

Hell, we still have no idea what this partnership REALLY implies. (except the virtual licence that nobody knows what it will provide you IRL)

(now, if I am wrong and the FIA approval already existed in video games...then I ll just look stupid... which would not be the first time...)

Three

I was asking whether damage modelling and collision detection has been implemented in GT series yet. Going by that video, it doesn't look like it.

What is collision detection? Of course there is collision detection. Man reading this thread then watching the video I'm at a loss as to what is happening. What exactly do you think collision detection is?

And those saying that was bumper cars. That was a damn clean race. Have some people here even played a racing game online?

Wait till we get the first "Don't you know Kaz already said it's gonna be patched ?" after the game releases unfinished and half cooked. ;-)

We've been there already with PD.
I take this as guaranteed.

Thanks for drilling down into the nitty-gritty behind spectator modes and replays, but wouldn't a race like this play out over a LAN?

driver116

They keep showing off spectator mode which has dumbed down visuals, physics and optimizations. No wonder people think the game looks like crap.

GT Sport finally show up on amazon.jp top spot after this japanese event. It was nowhere to be seen after the london one.

tYsHL9l.jpg

Monarch

Banned
It looks pretty outdated, graphically speaking. I mean it's clean and all that (like a GT6 @1080p), but it looks like they didn't update the core of their rendering technology.

Makikou

Yeah, frame-perfect does not happen even in iRacing. but it's lightyears ahead of this GT Sport footage.

Simply put, ITT: People who have apparently never seen a proper spectator mode in a racing sim/game.

p3n

Thanks for drilling down into the nitty-gritty behind spectator modes and replays, but wouldn't a race like this play out over a LAN?

Unless PD went and made up fake menu content and fake disconnect messages for the event builds, these builds have been online and connected to their servers. This would also make sense since their main focus seems to be multiplayer this time so getting more data as early as possible seems reasonable.

If the lag compensation and prediction frequency is set to fixed intervals or thresholds, you won't see much improvement going from (good) online to LAN connections. I personally don't think they would code two fundamentally different versions and only test the seperate high precision LAN version that will see no use outside of events. We don't know for sure but personally I think they are testing the online features with as close as possible to everyday conditions for the retail version. PD have a LOT of catching up to do in that field anyway.

Yeah, frame-perfect does not happen even in iRacing. but it's lightyears ahead of this GT Sport footage.

Simply put, ITT: People who have apparently never seen a proper spectator mode in a racing sim/game.

Heh, I was about to post a similar iRacing video. It is really good as long as you stay withing the server ping limits. One little lag spike and cars start flying around and will magically reappear or you will get spun out without contact.

DavidDesu

GT sport is 60€ or 70€ for the deluxe edition. Hu hu hu...

Assetto Corsa is £30 to pre-order (price guaranteed) on Amazon in the UK. Amazing price considering the console version is supposed to include everything that's been added to the PC game all this time. I'm buying that and seeing how it plays. Hands on says it handles well on a controller which is important to me, Project Cars completely fails on this point and GT is the only other PS4 racer that does it well too but they're doing their best to put me off it.

Cwarrior

Game looks terrible.

-jittery car movement making it look like an invisible kids hand dragging these toys cars across the track

-nasty depth of field,the worst I've seen

Melfice7

For the people whining about weird movement , have you never watched a replay of an online race in GT5/6? because thats pretty much whats happening.

It's not how the game is while playing.

Solal

Because the final game, probably, won't look much better.

The game is less than 6 months from release.

Of course it won't: you can't drastically upgrade the graphics and optimise your engine at the same time. Not in 6 months.

the same people who say "they still have months to finish the game" will be the ones saying "gorgeous!!!" in 6 months, even though the game will look exactly the same as today. We had the same shit with GT5 and 6 framerates...

And don't get me started on the sounds. We are at a point with PD where the sounds dont even need to be good... as long as they change them, people will be happy. "See!! PD listened!!"

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am so fucking confused, is this like a real GT game? made by the same developers?

ItIsOkBro

It sounded..not bad.

It looked..well I wouldn't judge a game on Nürburgring because that's just an ugly and bland track in general.

M52B28

Banned
It sounded..not bad.

It looked..well I wouldn't judge a game on Nürburgring because that's just an ugly and bland track in general.
What....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I guess.

The Nürburgring is a demanding track for developers to recreate.

Solal

I am so fucking confused, is this like a real GT game? made by the same developers?

It's a half cooked product, far from ready, that they are going to sell us at a full game price.

This is what Kaz means when he says "we could have called it GT7"... Trying to convince us that it's a full package when features wise and technically wise, it's just a fraction of what GT7 would be.

Kaz kept saying they would do on PS4 what they could not achieve on PS3, the full package, blablabla... are we supposed to believe that THIS was his "vision" from the start?

The Gt community needs to open their eyes on what s going on with Kaz... Seabass almost killed PES, and now Kaz is doint the same with GT.

Time for a change.

Griss

Looked terrible. Cars jerking all over the place, poor collisions, no skid marks / visual reaction to going off road...

No thanks.

Good race though. Shame about the last corner.

It's a half cooked product, far from ready, that they are going to sell us at a full game price.

This is what Kaz means when he says "we could have called it GT7"... Trying to convince us that it's a full package when features wise and technically wise, it's just a fraction of what GT7 would be.

Kaz kept saying they would do on PS4 what they could not achieve on PS3, the full package, blablabla... are we supposed to believe that THIS was his "vision" from the start?

The Gt community needs to open their eyes on what s going on with Kaz... Seabass almost killed PES, and now Kaz is doint the same with GT.

Time for a change.

Almost? As far as I'm concerned there's no 'almost' about it. Same kind of excuses made by fanboys year after year for that guy, too.

Arzehn

Visually it looks pretty bad, but it still looks fun, a racing sim e-sport would be pretty cool to have in the mix. Hope it can take off in that way.

Quixz

For Sport perhaps, but not GT7. If anything they're just getting worried about the amount of cash being poured into development and are being forced to sell a demo to sustain development for the length of time they want. It's that or rush something incomplete out the door like DriveClub.

Guessing the final game will be a Neo showcase.

Shouldn't be. Projectcars on the current PS4 looks great and that's from a thrid party developer.

Top Bottom