• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport - Nürburgring race in spectator mode

Orca

ITT: People who don't know how spectator/replay positional data transfer rate and interpolation is handled are emberassing themselves. I suggest looking at online replays in FM6, GT6, PCars or Assetto Corsa and focus on the interaction of the cars that didn't involve the host/player. A frame-perfect representation of all the positions and most collisions would require everyone to have a maximum of 8ms (16ms RTT) delay to the server/host. Everything else is interpolated and predicted data that is corrected at a much lower frequency. This leads to the unnatural movements we see in the spectator mode footage. It can be improved by using much better prediction but it will never be a 1:1 representation of the ingame physics.

If it's that bad...why are they allowing it to be shown? Why wouldn't they put out representative footage?

Of course it won't: you can't drastically upgrade the graphics and optimise your engine at the same time. Not in 6 months.

Motorstorm in May/July 2006

motorstorm-2006070403wobli.jpg

motorstorm-2006050803e6blj.jpg

Motorstorm in December 2006

motorstorm-2006120108exy5i.jpg

I am so fucking confused, is this like a real GT game? made by the same developers?

Yes, the franchise killer.

No way will GT recover from the absolute slaughtering that awaits GTS by the reviewers and record low sales, this FIA online focus is a huge mistake.

GT is done. Bring on TT2!

Solal

Looked terrible. Cars jerking all over the place, poor collisions, no skid marks / visual reaction to going off road...

No thanks.

Good race though. Shame about the last corner.

Almost? As far as I'm concerned there's no 'almost' about it. Same kind of excuses made by fanboys year after year for that guy, too.

Hey! PES 2015 and 2016 are great...they are back on track. Do yourself a favour and give it a try.

Asfor GT...Well, I've been thinking for years and years now that Kaz has no idea where to take the series next... I would love to be proven wrong as GT is defintly one of the most important experience I had in my gamer life.

But look at this...this is beyond hope...

Solal

Motorstorm in May/July 2006

motorstorm-2006070403wobli.jpg

motorstorm-2006050803e6blj.jpg

Motorstorm in December 2006

motorstorm-2006120108exy5i.jpg

Well the second pic of May is not that far from the one from december... and maybe the game was already running very smooth at that time. Who knows?

What we have with GTS is a very unstable framerate AND bad graphics/sounds... this is a lot to fix in 6 months.

c0de

Well the second pic of May is not that far from the one from december... and maybe the game was already running very smooth at that time. Who knows?

What we have with GTS is a very unstable framerate AND bad graphics/sounds... this is a lot to fix in 6 months.

And they said the game is only 50% complete, not only the engine or the graphics.

Ethelwulf

Why? Such a great potential wasted... Guessed that they pushed the next big release further and this is more like a full priced prologue?

Moreche

I remember when GT was the huge reason to buy PS console, I still remember buying every games magazine that had any GT announcement on the cover, I remember staring at a photo in a magazine that showed a Renault Clio V6 taking a corner and being amazed.
But not this new game, this new game is showing me that Kaz needs to go. I thing all GT does now is give Kaz the funds to drive his real life cars around real life circuits.

ITT: People who don't know how spectator/replay positional data transfer rate and interpolation is handled are emberassing themselves. I suggest looking at online replays in FM6, GT6, PCars or Assetto Corsa and focus on the interaction of the cars that didn't involve the host/player. A frame-perfect representation of all the positions and most collisions would require everyone to have a maximum of 8ms (16ms RTT) delay to the server/host. Everything else is interpolated and predicted data that is corrected at a much lower frequency. This leads to the unnatural movements we see in the spectator mode footage. It can be improved by using much better prediction but it will never be a 1:1 representation of the ingame physics.

Its like people are ignorant on purpose because I know damn well this ain't your the first time you've seen racing games online.

Breakage

New PS platform + new GT entry used to mean visuals that were ahead of everything else. This looks like a PS3 game.

Hugstable

Banned
Each time I read more about this game it makes me more and more sad :-\. Oh well I can always just play GT3 and 4 forever... so ehh

eso76

It is worth pointing out that spectator mode does not showcase movements 100% accurate, so sometimes the movements of the cars can look a bit jerky.

It's very apparent in all videos.
Looks like cars position data is compressed to hell and back before interpolation. Happens with every racer, particularly when playing online obviously, but it's especially harsh here.

It's probably going to be fixed, or improved at least.

shandy706

That looks bad. Hopefully a lot of it is just placeholders moving towards the final build.

A lot of last gen looking stuff. Guard rails look like they're ripped right out of GT5/6.

Three

Shouldn't be. Projectcars on the current PS4 looks great and that's from a thrid party developer.

I've posted a vid of project cars on this very thread. It's really not that pretty especially track detail. Those kungfu collision sounds would also be laughed at if it were GT. I mean if that were GT I'm sure it would be dragged through hell and back. In fact that's a good test, somebody ought to rename a PCars video as GTS and see how it still gets torn apart anyway.

Absolute opposite I would say.

I disagree, ignoring the developer the footage is underwhelming. Outside of the fantastic lighting and car rendering, there is nothing out of the ordinary we haven't seen with other titles.

I understand what you meant though.

l2ounD

I agree. I think this is the most natural looking Ring I've seen in a game. I mean show me replays of other games Nurburgrings and I'd take this one no contest. Its by no means perfect but overall better looking than anything else I've seen. I'd love to see a better looking one though. Like iRacings track surface I think looks amazing, I put that as #1, just the rest of the environment and lighting/car shaders dont hold up realistically as the track.

What is collision detection? Of course there is collision detection. Man reading this thread then watching the video I'm at a loss as to what is happening. What exactly do you think collision detection is?

And those saying that was bumper cars. That was a damn clean race. Have some people here even played a racing game online?
I'm sorry if I didn't use the technical term in order to appease your lofty standards. I will attempt to explain:

What I am getting at involves "collision detection", when my car hits your car's back right corner, do you spin out? Collision detection. Determining where and how hard a car is being hit and the physics and driving model reacting to that. This is not happening in this video. The cars are bouncing off eachother as if nothing happened. I asked a question because I was curious if Polyphony Digital had implemented these features or not after all these years.

What is collision detection? Of course there is collision detection. Man reading this thread then watching the video I'm at a loss as to what is happening. What exactly do you think collision detection is?

And those saying that was bumper cars. That was a damn clean race. Have some people here even played a racing game online?

Doubt it what do people except to change? but I'm really not sure what people are comparing this to graphically, I could only imagine driveclub, because it really isn't that rough looking. That shadow cascade though.

I mean just look at Project cars replays and compare

https://youtu.be/3TTL7lt7GM8

I've posted a vid of project cars on this very thread. It's really not that pretty especially track detail. Those kungfu collision sounds would also be laughed at if it were GT. I mean if that were GT I'm sure it would be dragged through hell and back. In fact that's a good test, somebody ought to rename a PCars video as GTS and see how it still gets torn apart anyway.

We understand you REALLY like the GT games, but I think you need to calm down a bit. Nobody's bagging the game. I asked a question. Simple.

0racle

fucking embarrassing.

As an avid sim racer fan this is so dated its not even funny. Sony get your head out of the sand, this wont sell because of the name itself.

Crayon

This reminds me of how every gt after 3 is supposed to be some kind of horrible embarrassment to all videogames.

Probably be my game of the year.

Harmen

I still can't fathom how incredibly average this game looks and how featureless it seems. And it is full priced at that.

Sure, GT is historically Sony's major ip, but good lord will this game do signficant damage to that. Their messy track record last gen probably already did, so what they really needed to do is release a full fledged GT7 in all it's glory to convice the masses. Not this. If this game launches like this, without all the good features made last gen, I fear it will be an uphill battle to get people to buy GT7.

EBreda

I remember when we were promised the Ps4 would enable the whole Gt package Kaz always dreamed about.

Yeah right.

Solal

Well: when you start comparing a kickstarter game,multiplatform, first of a serie, made almost from scratch,...to one of the biggest franchise of the world of gaming, wealthiest Studio, 20 years experience in producing car games, 7th iteration (without counting the prologues), exclusive to the most powerful console on the market... you know for a fact there is a problem.

PD, with all its money, time and experience, should absolutly DESTROY P cars in every fucking way.

Though, I, and we are many in this case, think that P cars is the best package, more coherent, more refined, more exciting, etc...of the 2 (I am talking about what we saw of GTS...and what GT6 had to offer)

There is more ideas in P cars alone than in the whole Gt franchise. They tried stuff, like helmet cam, apex view, chassis noises, camera movements etc... that GT never scratched. SOme work fantastic, some don't. They are all optional, so anyone can tailor his own experience.
They have a dynamic tod and weather system on all the tracks.
Plenty of tracks.
Only great cars, no crappy ones that I would not even want to drive IRL.
The sounds are glorious.
Damages.
Fantastic FFB (requires a lot of work for it to work...which is a shame really... but still...)
60fps (struggles here and there... but still VERY enjoyable)
Etc...

And the game is beautiful (remember it's multiplatform and 60fps...)
Why on Earth wouldn't anyone praise what SMS did...And praise the mess that GT is since GT5 ? This is beyond me.

I remember when GT was the huge reason to buy PS console, I still remember buying every games magazine that had any GT announcement on the cover, I remember staring at a photo in a magazine that showed a Renault Clio V6 taking a corner and being amazed.
But not this new game, this new game is showing me that Kaz needs to go. I thing all GT does now is give Kaz the funds to drive his real life cars around real life circuits.
It was still one of the reasons for me for buying PS4. but now I have PS4 and won't buy GTS, because it seems that the game doesn't even have a true career mode.

PD should hire Ubisoft to handle the reveals.
They were like Ubisoft last gen. just look at GT5's rain trailer or other GT5,6 trailers. but now GTS trailer is uglier than the real gameplay! lol

Other thing that bugs me is those cars are either way bigger than they should be OR the track is simply too narrow and track-side objects too small.

The ring is a pretty narrow track, parts are only 2 cars wide with a few feet in between them. I only had a quick look at the stream and saw a few shots but it looked about right imho.

Whb29

I'm sorry but people defending PD at this stage are kidding themselves. I would like to point out that I have purchased every single GT, yes even Concept! GT6 was the last straw for me. The flickering shadows was a massive problem in all PS3 versions, so I have no hope that they will fix it if it's still there after they supposedly rebuilt the engine from the ground up. I will be amazed if the game runs at a locked 60fps. There will be tearing, dropped frames and the same sounds. One of the reasons I have stayed with Sony through the last three generations is the promise of GT. There was just nothing else like it. Right now I am seriously considering getting an XBox 1.5 over a Neo as Forza just seems to be superior in almost every way.

Three

I'm sorry if I didn't use the technical term in order to appease your lofty standards. I will attempt to explain:

We understand you REALLY like the GT games, but I think you need to calm down a bit. Nobody's bagging the game. I asked a question. Simple.

So I really like GT and need to calm down because I've been participating in the thread? So you decided to quote my posts in it? I'm not even the top poster in this thread I'm sure you know who that is and they're not for it.

It wasn't a lofty standard there is collision detection and a car does get hit off the track. I clearly wanted to know what you though is completely absent because that's the way you worded it. That's not a sign that I'm not calm.

Well: when you start comparing a kickstarter game,multiplatform, first of a serie, made almost from scratch,...to one of the biggest franchise of the world of gaming, wealthiest Studio, 20 years experience in producing car games, 7th iteration (without counting the prologues), exclusive to the most powerful console on the market... you know for a fact there is a problem.

PD, with all its money, time and experience, should absolutly DESTROY P cars in every fucking way.

Though, I, and we are many in this case, think that P cars is the best package, more coherent, more refined, more exciting, etc...of the 2 (I am talking about what we saw of GTS...and what GT6 had to offer)

There is more ideas in P cars alone than in the whole Gt franchise. They tried stuff, like helmet cam, apex view, chassis noises, camera movements etc... that GT never scratched. SOme work fantastic, some don't. They are all optional, so anyone can tailor his own experience.
They have a dynamic tod and weather system on all the tracks.
Plenty of tracks.
Only great cars, no crappy ones that I would not even want to drive IRL.
The sounds are glorious.
Damages.
Fantastic FFB (requires a lot of work for it to work...which is a shame really... but still...)
60fps (struggles here and there... but still VERY enjoyable)
Etc...

And the game is beautiful (remember it's multiplatform and 60fps...)
Why on Earth wouldn't anyone praise what SMS did...And praise the mess that GT is since GT5 ? This is beyond me.

Some of those points I really don't understand. Only great cars? So less cars are better? You do know GTS has "only great cars" too. "60fps"? You do know that GTS is "60fps" too? Camera movement? Which camera? GTS is a VR game and does have camera movement. If you are just going to list some minor things then it would be good to know there are things that GTS does other games don't on PS4. Yellow flags and safety cars, VR etc. You forgot to even mention what makes Pcars great, the massive races. All this hyperbole seems to do is drown what is good and bad in each title.

What? You really believe this?

Yes I do. Why is it hard to believe? If you look at PCars vs the GTS video above and, say, on an example given in this very thread about how the rail guards in GTS are from PS3 era. Look at the rail guards in PCars then tell me.

PCars
https://youtu.be/3TTL7lt7GM8

GTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsYOCgzj1Y0&feature=youtu.be&t=346

You can even see that the cars in PCars are jittery too but you would think nobody has played a racing game online before going by this thread

herod

Why do they keep showing this game. It's like uploading a dashcam video of a crash where you were at fault

Top Bottom