• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Demo/Forza 2 comparison (56K and trolls go back to Drivers Ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Not to mention, despite all the crazy track detail, they decide to blur it out.

Makes no sense to me.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
OTHER than GT can look GOOD.

I think it has been FACTUALLY proven that GT5 looks better than anything.

Even those picture comparisons showed that GT5 compared very well to REAL LIFE, so Forza (a meer video game) can`t hope to compare.

Faf, well - i guess the reason for the thread is to show that the games aren`t that far apart. Given they are modelling the same course, that shouldn`t be a surprise to anyone.

I came in this thread hoping for gameplay comparisons (not just graphics but ai, physics, fun, etc. though graphics certainly count). What was I thinking :lol

Core407

Banned
jett said:
sc48oz.jpg

2hyf3iw.jpg

Pretty environments are pretty.

If they can pull that off, I'll be surprised. I just think thats way too good to be real. Maybe by the end of the generation but not within a year.

jett

D-Member
Core407 said:
If they can pull that off, I'll be surprised. I just think thats way too good to be real. Maybe by the end of the generation but not within a year.

:lol And that's just from GT5:prologue, which is hitting the intrawebs in two months.

The actual GT5 will make grown men cry.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm mostly into racing simulations for the cars, personally :p
both games look great

booo - fence sitter! One or the other! one must suck, and the other must be godly.

Choose wisely!

Core407 said:

Are you talking about it being as clean? If so then you're probably right, everything else should be the same though.

jett said:
Pretty environments are pretty.
This reminds me of comparing forza 1 to gt4 tracks like laguna, see that box looking red building? and those what seem to be paper cut out trees? yeah.

This is stupid now.

jett

D-Member
Diablohead said:
This reminds me of comparing forza 1 to gt4 tracks like laguna, see that box looking red building? and those what seem to be paper cut out trees? yeah.

This is stupid now.

I find it impressive that despite the ps1-style trees, it still looks effing amazing. That shit needs to go though.

Bebpo

Banned
jett said:
I find it impressive that despite the ps1-style trees, it still looks effing amazing. That shit needs to go though.

I must be the only person that doesn't notice these "bad trees" in any of the racing games.

A tree is a tree. It's just some texture in the background outside of the race area.

Bebpo said:
I must be the only person that doesn't notice these "bad trees" in any of the racing games.

A tree is a tree. It's just some texture in the background outside of the race area.

The 2 things I don't get that people complain about in racing games are trees and road textures.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Patrickula said:
I came in this thread hoping for gameplay comparisons (not just graphics but ai, physics, fun, etc. though graphics certainly count). What was I thinking :lol

I had a blast playing the GT5P demo. Handles great and cockpit view is awesome. I can't play in any other views now.

Can't wait for the full game.

-Rogue5-

In retrospect this thread title is like asking who's hotter: Megan Fox or Angelina Jolie... After all the agruing you'd probably enjoy fooling around with either of them.

..would that be consider objectifying?

Pimpwerx

Core407 said:
What is everyone talking about. Fuji is in the demo. Hit circle and then cross at the menu. It'll come up from time to time. They switch between that, Suzuka and Daytona. AFAIK, that's from this same demo build, though I could be totally off. PEACE.

Core407

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
What is everyone talking about. Fuji is in the demo. Hit circle and then cross at the menu. It'll come up from time to time. They switch between that, Suzuka and Daytona. AFAIK, that's from this same demo build, though I could be totally off. PEACE.

It looks so much better than the Suzuki track.

-Rogue5- said:
In retrospect this thread title is like asking who's hotter: Megan Fox or Angelina Jolie... After all the agruing you'd probably enjoy fooling around with either of them.

..would that be consider objectifying?

That's the fundamental problem. What this thread is really symptomatic of is, in that hypothetical, people spending hours arguing over how uneven Megan Fox's toenails are or how Angeline Jolie looks too much like her father to ever be found sexually attractive.

Wait, scratch that last one. It doesn't fit the metaphor (even though it's true).

Pimpwerx

It doesn't take that many words to say GT5P demo kills everything else in the graphics department. :lol Seriously, in motion the comparisons are inane. This thread could never take itself seriously. PEACE.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
i guess the reason for the thread is to show that the games aren`t that far apart
And picking completely different exposure shots and chatting about "color" differences is to highlight the "similarity" right? ;)

m0dus said:
Ah, okay, I forgot that we had the added limitation of framerate--that makes PGR4's backgrounds look less impressive how? Seriously, Is this argument is SO polarizing that it's literally impossible to make any form of honest observation, no matter how diplomatic one tries to be?

I was hesitant to even comment, and seeing nonesense like "uh oh modus am here" sheds a great deal of light upon how people choose to read (and read into) certain posts.
Let me spell it out, for those who may have missed it:

Forza is still the most enjoyable console sim out there for me, in terms of handling, physics, and playability. People trying to paint it as some sort of ugly duckling really don't have a clue, IMO. The game can be visually quite stunning at times, despite what some might say (especially tracks like Tsukuba and Suzuka, which actually have extremely realistic lighting.). Some of the car modelling is lacking, to be honest, but some of this is offset by an excellent physics and damage model (aeros and other components getting smashed or even torn off, becoming trackside obstacles, with tangible effects to your car's physics and handling).

PGR, meanwhile, takes the cake as an arcade racer, with some awesome HDR and insane background detail. I will again reiterate, despite what your opinion on 30fps vs 60, it still doesn't diminish the incredible job Bizarre has done creating some insane trackside detail, dynamic rain and snow included. Until we see any further evidence to the contrary in other titles (IE, insane texturing of buildings with some crazy weather effects), it takes the cake in this area.

GT looks like it is going to hit the mark when it comes to the car lover (or should I say worshipper) in all of us--for GT, it's really in the hard details, as far as the vehicles themselves are concerned. Things like the cockpit view (which is an utter sight to behold) truly demonstrate this. This game has the most meticulous curves I have ever seen on anything realtime, and it truly stands as a benchmark, IMO, that will set the bar for everything else to come, in this particular area. I BOUGHT A PS3 for this game, for crying out loud. The first videos of the game literally sold me on the system, beyond anything else coming out this year or next. But that doesn't change the fact that, in certain areas, other games excel to equal lengths visually (regardless of whether or not in-game runs at 30 fps or 60.)

In short, unless your insecurity about it literally keeps you awake at night, it's possible to admire PD's artistry without taking a extreme fundamentalist stance against everything else under the sun.

Very well said

Sho Nuff

Banned
Fafalada said:
And picking completely different exposure shots and chatting about "color" differences is to highlight the "similarity" right? ;)

The camera exposure and settings are identical for each shot.

m0dus said:
All (ok, well not all) Joking aside, each game has its visual strengths and weaknesses. If they can coexist, then their fans should, too.

Certainly on a graphics level, Forza 2 has no advantage that is great enough to bridge the gap between the two when it comes to car models.

adelante

Bebpo said:

Because you might as well plant 2D trees and lowres textures in areas you're not gonna pay much attention to right?

Lol is it really that hard to understand that the visual fidelity of a game has to be appreciated (and hence criticized) as an all-encompassing aspect of development...unless its a deliberate stylistic decision on PD's part, low-poly trees either mean the devs are lazy, or there needed to be a compromise when it comes to efficient use of geometry elsewhere (like the numerous cars on tracks....which probably explains why the spectators are now 2D)

And nicely put Modus (I'm of course refering to ur lengthy but rational post :p). Very much unlike a certain individual here who'd nonchalantly spurt out utterly vague comments, without so much as going into logical details, and then signing off with a 'peace', probably to implicate that his posts never meant any harm in the first place. -__-

m0dus said:
All (ok, well not all) Joking aside, each game has its visual strengths and weaknesses. If they can coexist, then their fans should, too.

I'm noticing a trend of which consoles fans can't seem to coexist with the others ;). Oh and PEACE!

adelante said:
Lol is it really that hard to understand that the visual fidelity of a game has to be appreciated (and hence criticized) as an all-encompassing aspect of development...unless its a deliberate stylistic decision on PD's part, low-poly trees either mean the devs are lazy, or there needed to be a compromise when it comes to efficient use of geometry elsewhere (like the numerous cars on tracks....which probably explains why the spectators are now 2D)

Or they're spending their time on more important things than trees which you're only going to notice if you're park your car next to them. They're going to be blurred as you fly by them anyway.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
PGR4 has better PEACE because of the environments and motion blur. GT5P's PEACE is high poly but is letdown by environments. FM2's PEACE is good all round but underrated.

PEACE.

adelante

SolidSnakex said:
Or they're spending their time on more important things than trees which you're only going to notice if you're park your car next to them. They're going to be blurred as you fly by them anyway.
Uh, appreciate you reinforcing my point and yeah, I wouldn't be the first to protest against them dedicating that many polygons on a single car since the results are undeniably beautiful. But if anything, it does prove that compromises were necessary (as if Forza2 and PGR4 weren't indicative enough). Too bad there are many people here who'd have you believe there's no such thing with GT5P since PD themselves are such wizards with visuals. They'd much rather pinpoint a feature where the game obviously excels at and remain happily oblivious to anything else.

Speaking of Demo's, where the hell is the Forza 2 demo on XBLM. All this talk about graphics comparison wants me to play it, however it's not on the marketplace anymore.

mysticstylez said:
Speaking of Demo's, where the hell is the Forza 2 demo on XBLM. All this talk about graphics comparison wants me to play it, however it's not on the marketplace anymore.

Its server has been replaced with Lone Wolves Server #5,416.

adelante said:
Uh, appreciate you reinforcing my point and yeah, I wouldn't be the first to protest against them dedicating that many polygons on a single car since the results are undeniably beautiful. But if anything, it does prove that compromises were necessary (as if Forza2 and PGR4 weren't indicative enough). Too bad there are many people here who'd have you believe there's no such thing with GT5P since PD themselves are such wizards with visuals. They'd much rather pinpoint a feature where the game obviously excels at and remain happily oblivious to anything else.

I wasn't talkingabout that. I was talking about their focus on race courses probably be a lot more on getting the imperfrections in the road right than whether or not a tree is 3Dt. It might not please people who like that sort of thing, but it is a game that's still built for car enthusiasts and going through the trouble of getting those imperfections right is something they'll appreciate a lot more than a tree.

As far as the compromises people keep bringing up that they'd have to take for how the cars look, lets wait until they show the city circuits. They've already proven people wrong who said they couldn't get more than 1 car on track that looked at such a high detail.

Pistolero

Equality is the new superiority...
Should become the motto of some X fans in denial. Have you seen both games in motion ? GT5 Prologue's demo is CLEARLY superior to Forza. How can that be an issue of debate is an enigma... :D

jett

D-Member
Pistolero said:
Equality is the new superiority...
Should become the motto of some X fans in denial. Have you seen both games in motion ? GT5 Prologue's demo is CLEARLY superior to Forza. How can that be an issue of debate is an enigma... :D

It is what it is, but some people are almost incapable of saying GT5 looks better than Forza 2, period.

jett said:
It is what it is, but some people are almost incapable of saying GT5 looks better than Forza 2, period.

But dude, yeah so maybe the cars look a bit better but they are still even graphically. I mean, the car handling, what about the car handling?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wait, is that london track going to be in the prologue? polyphony have always done a good job with city tracks, but i wonder how close they'll come to pgr4 -- which is the result of a real focus on lavish cityscapes, and has the luxury of running at 30fps. we might have some real material for a comparison thread

drohne said:
wait, is that london track going to be in the prologue? polyphony have always done a good job with city tracks, but i wonder how close they'll come to pgr4 -- which is the result of a real focus on lavish cityscapes, and has the luxury of running at 30fps. we might have some real material for a comparison thread

It's suppose to be in Prologue. That could change but they've always planned for 1 city track to be in it.

m0dus said:
So the realistic manner by which the cars move, and interact with the various track and trackside surfaces, does not somehow count for visual fidelity? to say nothing of repeatedly mentioned damage modelling, which is geometry vs. texture based? and did you somehow miss it when I said,

selective reading much? Bueller? Bueller? :)

Did I even bother quoting you? That thing you said, about this keeping people awake at night, that was from experience wasn't it? ;)

In any event, you could cushion this by arguing that both have their strengths and weaknesses and that is certainly true, but we both know that at the very least on a visual level, Forza 2 has no strength so great (and GT5 has no weakness so significant) that it would be enough to bridge the visual gap here. Maybe it's just a superficial quality, but holy crap what a quality it is.

Pimpwerx

adelante said:
And nicely put Modus (I'm of course refering to ur lengthy but rational post :p). Very much unlike a certain individual here who'd nonchalantly spurt out utterly vague comments, without so much as going into logical details, and then signing off with a 'peace', probably to implicate that his posts never meant any harm in the first place. -__-
Check the GT5P thread if you want legit responses, numbnuts. This is a bogus comparison thread comparing two games that are not comparable graphically. GT5P demo eats FM2's lunch. I'm not gonna make apologies for it. But I will end my post with... PEACE.

Wooooow its like a troll fanboi bloodbath in here did i click gamefaqs or what. Both look good both have flaws, we are compairing a demo of a game vs a game that been finished for what 6 months now really gaf really.:lol

adelante

Pimpwerx said:
Check the GT5P thread if you want legit responses, numbnuts. This is a bogus comparison thread comparing two games that are not comparable graphically. GT5P demo eats FM2's lunch. I'm not gonna make apologies for it. But I will end my post with... PEACE.
lol "numbnuts". That's what you're resorting to now? :lol At least you thought through hard enough to actually believe we needed an apology from you..."GT5P demo eats FM2's lunch" lol okay :lol

Pimpwerx

adelante said:
lol "numbnuts". That's what you're resorting to now? :lol At least you thought through hard enough to actually believe we needed an apology from you..."GT5P demo eats FM2's lunch" lol okay :lol
Credibility is directly-proportional to the number of smilies in a post. (Internet Fact #34) PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom