• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Demo/Forza 2 comparison (56K and trolls go back to Drivers Ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jet1911 said:
Well the official thread is much better than this one.

Indeed, to be fair this thread has served it's purpose by distracting the trolls.

Sharp said:
They both look fucking incredible, what is wrong with you all.

Because here on GAF, incredible can be better than incredible :)

VonGak!

Banned
Joust Williams said:
Yeah...I think I'll cross GT off my "buy" list. If this is what the community is like, there's not much point.

Wait are you saying the FM2/PGR4 community acted any better?

Anyway, Kaz hates people who acts like twits over the net so GT5 also supports races without chat for those who want to be truly immersed.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
There are much better GT communities, GAF is a horrible place full of horrible people.

Myself included.

VonGak! said:
Anyway, Kaz hates people who acts like twits over the net so GT5 also supports races without chat for those who want to be truly immersed.

That's cool, I'd like to see that option in more online games.

J-Rzez

ypo said:
That's because Polyphony is a developer studio with integrity.

:lol

Joust Williams said:
Yeah...I think I'll cross GT off my "buy" list. If this is what the community is like, there's not much point.

Don't play XBL games then I take it? You either play in a party with friends, or expect your I.Q. to drop one value per minute of playtime with the prizes on there...

Madman

Joust Williams said:
You won't buy a game based off of a few forum posters on the internet?

Forums. Serious business.

I really hope you were joking...

Y2Kev said:
Just get into a racing group that you like. It's a lot of fun to talk while racing.

The only thing I want to hear when i'm racing are engine sounds. I turn the music off when I play racing games also unless i'm not really playing seriously.

beerbelly

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The only thing I want to hear when i'm racing are engine sounds. I turn the music off when I play racing games also unless i'm not really playing seriously.

Whoa....so serious...

Y2Kev said:
Just get into a racing group that you like. It's a lot of fun to talk while racing.

Although going by this thread the conversation would go something like:

1. Damn these pixel shaders are weak!
2. You shut your mouth, it just compression.
1. If you could get close enough to me, you would also see that the polygon count for the exhaust is well below standards
2. That's just the angle the light is hitting it, are you spinning around whilst looking for problems?

:|

beerbelly

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Although going by this thread the conversation would go something like:

:|

Judging from recent sales trends it would be:

1. Hello? Hello? Anyone there?

*reads new GAF NPD sales thread*

1. No wonder...

Just kidding. I know GT will sell a ton

the problem with the GT environment are those horrible trees, some of them are psone quality..some aspects of the game look so great, but they need harness some of uncharted's tech to make some 3d trees...why damnit? As a graphics whore, it was one of the big innovation I was hoping for in GT5...make it happen!

Firewire said:
What the hell happened in this thread. Its like ultimate carnage everywhere!

184649-carnage_400.jpg

VonGak!

Banned
beerbelly said:
Whoa....so serious...
It's rather mandatory, especially when using MT and listen to the tire squicks. The V/anti-roll/gravity bar in GT4 is neat but impossible/impracticable to use in the middle of a race (for re-plays studies it's neat).

Core407

Banned
VonGak! said:
It's rather mandatory, especially when using MT and listen to the tire squicks. The V/anti-roll/gravity bar in GT4 is neat but impossible/impracticable to use in the middle of a race (for re-plays studies it's neat).

I thought I was the only one who turned off the in-game music. Was the first thing I did in the GT5 demo. Tire squeaks indicate to me if I can push it through a turn or let up a bit.

i hope everyone posting in this thread's system explodes engraving an unyielding fear of playing games into their core for the remainder of their lives. This should occur the moment they load this demo, or play a copy of forza 2 or pgr or whatever crap they play.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
well, it's not as if he's warping the rays of light as they travel from his tv to his camera -- it's just that the darkened look of his photos does good things for forza's videogamey palette, and does bad things for gt's relatively naturalistic one

here`s the crazy thing Drohne, Sho has the same display system as me - he might need to create a GT5 specific config to sort out the darkness (and dampen the shimmering and what jaggies there are) ;)

JoJo13

Banned
Forza 2
34deda4b02.jpg

GT5:p

e9dafab108.jpg

I'm pretty surprised that GT5:p's electrical wires in the background has no jaggies, as apposed to Forza 2's. If the demo product is already looking this good, I can't wait to see what GT5 in its final state will look like. :D

Jedi2016 said:
The Daihatsu also shows the worst shadow mapping on the outside of the car. When you're coming up behind another car when you're racing (they're all Daihatsus), you can see this odd flickering and moving on the back of the car in front of you.. it's the jaggy shadow map crawling on the back of the car, appears to be only a few pixels deep. It clears up as you get closer, but it's still very aliased. I think this is what some people are seeing as "jaggy mess", is in fact only extremely low-res shadow maps.

Considering how it seems more of a problem on that car than any other, I'm going to assume that's it's merely a sign of a work-in-progress, something that will be fixed up by the time Prologue, and GT5 proper, are released.

Interesting about the resolution. While I'm not surprised that it's not 1920 (given that GTHD was only 1440), I am a bit surprised that it's not at least 1440 itself. Although the MSAA does appear to alleviate this somewhat, as the game overall doesn't appear as jaggy as GTHD does. As nAo said up above, the HDR+AA issue that leaves some jaggies apparently untouched by the AA. It's something I fight with in CGI as well whenever there's a sharp contrast between light and dark from HDR illumination or reflection.
I found this quote pretty interesting when it came to GT5:p jaggy issues.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think this is what some people are seeing as "jaggy mess", is in fact only extremely low-res shadow maps.

it`s something to do with displays i`d -guess-

The metal barriers , the road marking lines , and some of the fencing are where the "issue" is (it`s not a game breaker, it just looks distracting)

at first i thought it was heat haze (in game - i know there is heat haze in the replay) - but it`s that sort of movement that the texturing seems to undertake.

I`m surprised Falus can`t see it given his eagle eyes in the Halo 3 thread, so this is adding futher weight to it being something to do with peoples set ups (?)

Bebpo

Banned
MaX_PL said:
:lol why did you post some debug version of Forza 2? one of the racers is named debug. :lol

Full version looks the same, who cares.

DCharlie said:
it`s something to do with displays i`d -guess-

The metal barriers , the road marking lines , and some of the fencing are where the "issue" is (it`s not a game breaker, it just looks distracting)

at first i thought it was heat haze (in game - i know there is heat haze in the replay) - but it`s that sort of movement that the texturing seems to undertake.

I`m surprised Falus can`t see it given his eagle eyes in the Halo 3 thread, so this is adding futher weight to it being something to do with peoples set ups (?)

GT5p looked horrible on my set at 1080i and I dismissed the game completely. Then I tried at 720p after hearing 720p had better AA and the IQ is almost perfect. There's screen tearing when a lot of cars are in view, and the shadows are indeed jaggy (most noticable on inside view when the sun makes a shadow on the dash), but otherwise it's pretty damn clean...which is weird since you don't expect GT to ever look clean.

Meier

FFChris said:
Those shots make Forza look better. Going simply by those screenshots, I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

Seriously, the first page has me baffled. Forza looks a million times better on those screens... I know GT5 is going to look amazing and it does there even, but those screens alone there isn't much of a comparison.

Blim's shots make it look closer though.

JoJo13

Banned
Bebpo said:
GT5p looked horrible on my set at 1080i and I dismissed the game completely. Then I tried at 720p after hearing 720p had better AA and the IQ is almost perfect. There's screen tearing when a lot of cars are in view, and the shadows are indeed jaggy (most noticable on inside view when the sun makes a shadow on the dash), but otherwise it's pretty damn clean...which is weird since you don't expect GT to ever look clean.
Quaz51, the guy from B3D that has been giving out native screen resolution of games and the guy who gave out Halo 3's 640p native res, said that in 720p mode its 4xMSAA.

While in 1080p, maybe 1080i also, its in 2xMSAA.

Joates

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
That's cool, I'd like to see that option in more online games.

Its so hard to find the will power to just take the mic off your head, or just go and turn off chat all together...

spwolf

Bebpo said:
Full version looks the same, who cares.

1080p looks better for me, so it is probably 1080i that is to be avoided...

ypo

I`m surprised Falus can`t see it given his eagle eyes in the Halo 3 thread,

I'm surprised you are seeing all these flaws given your almost blind like state about a 640P game blown up to 720P without any AA.

whn do thsee happen ? not seen one (technical) issue yet. Not one.

modelling is good, frame rate has been perfect, and i`ve seen ZERO pop up.
:lol

No stuttering at all

And here we are, you are complaining about aliasing and framerate in a game running at 720P with 4x AA at 60fps with minor drops.

Teh LOL..

Pimpwerx

Forza isn't even in the same generation as GT5P graphically. I think that's a pretty factual statement. I mean, didn't FM2 fans have to damage control that game against PGR3? Who the fuck is seriously trying go bring GT5P into the picture? Kaz dropped a deuce on that game. I like the silent-killing of PGR4 as well. I thought that game was supposed to be some graphics messiah too. There's always FM3. :lol PEACE.

Joates

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Forza isn't even in the same generation as GT5P graphically. I think that's a pretty factual statement. I mean, didn't FM2 fans have to damage control that game against PGR3? Who the fuck is seriously trying go bring GT5P into the picture? Kaz dropped a deuce on that game. I like the silent-killing of PGR4 as well. I thought that game was supposed to be some graphics messiah too. There's always FM3. :lol PEACE.

Did you even *glance* at the OP? I swear, most of you PD lovers dont even give a shit about the graphics, because they're already the best in your eyes regardless.

I think GT looks better than FM2, but its far from perfect...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pimpwerx said:

dropped a deuce :lol

All that really needs to be said about GT5P's graphics is that after GTHD many people were saying that they wouldn't be able to get more than 1 car on the track that looked like that. Then Polyphony went and put 16 cars on the track in GT5P.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
All that really needs to be said about GT5P's graphics is that after GTHD many people were saying that they wouldn't be able to get more than 1 car on the track that looked like that. Then Polyphony went and put 16 cars on the track in GT5P.

....which caused the engine to break down and have the first slowdown and screen tearing since GT1? :p

They can drop it down to 12 if it means no tearing/slowdown in the final version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They are obviously going to iron it out, nobody has said anything about IQ problems/framerate problems at trade shows or in preview sessions.

Bebpo said:
....which caused the engine to break down and have the first slowdown and screen tearing since GT1? :p

They can drop it down to 12 if it means no tearing/slowdown in the final version.

They had big time issues when they showed GTHD back at TGS last year and they eventually got all that fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom