• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Demo/Forza 2 comparison (56K and trolls go back to Drivers Ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-Pina

night-driver.png

Anywho.
Where is the night racing on games nowadays anyway? :)

How does a thread comparing graphics in a 5 month old sim game to a game not coming out for 12 months get so many posts?
I almost want to throw my PS3 off a cliff just to see some people cry.

So if you play in 1st person view Forza 2 looks better with it's courses. If you play in anything but 1st person view GT5's car models make it look better.

J-Rzez

szaromir said:
You drive a real car, you have an idea how a car should behave.

You don't have to be a professional soccer player to know how to kick a ball and how the ball should behave afterwards etc.

I HOPE that you're joking... I really do... Because that is the most rediculous comment I've seen here in weeks, and that includes stuff in the latest NPD thread...

People are in for a rude awakening when going with the "Forza 2's physics are much better than GT4's, thus GT5's gameplay is worse"... The physics system seems to have been revamped drastically...

forza2-ukr13.jpg

I love this pic :lol ... Looks like a spectator threw a bucket of cement at the car...

RSP

I use the view that is in front of the car, always race in first place and only look at the next 20 feet of tarmac in front of me. So car models AND environments don't do shit for me. I already got Forza, and I'll get GT5 too. Probably not the prologue tho...

Is that a row of 2d people on the right of the bridge in the gt5p demo shot?

The bridge itself looks much better in gt5p, but what about the rest of the track ;)

VonGak!

Banned
Great that this thread is without doubt in GT5's favor so I can't be accused for being a whining fanboy for saying this:

Game comparison threads, especially between competing exclusives, should be banned from NeoGaf as they never bring anything good.

Big piles of steamy poo attracting flies, that's what these threads are.

I should know, I'm attracted to them and have made a couple in the past ^.^

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sho-Nuff, you are in the position to answer this. Is it really OK to have both consoles on a TV with same color settings for both. Do they actually have the same exact color/brightness output? Try just showing an identical static picture on both - do they actually look the same or does PS3 require different color settings on a TV compared to X360?

Joust Williams said:
How does a thread comparing graphics in a 5 month old sim game to a game not coming out for 12 months get so many posts?
GT5 Prologue is coming very soon I think, and that will be a (small) full game in it's own right.

antiloop

RSP said:
I use the view that is in front of the car, always race in first place and only look at the next 20 feet of tarmac in front of me. So car models AND environments don't do shit for me. I already got Forza, and I'll get GT5 too. Probably not the prologue tho...

and I am a racing king so I don't need car damage.

heh

VonGak! said:
If I'm not mistaken PD uses hight-maps taken with satellite for all the real life tracks. ^.^ Why GT4 also has the best Nürb track.

Yep, there was an interview with some professional driver after GT4 was released who said they nailed every turn and bump in their version of the Nurburgring with the exception of one part (he didn't say what the was).

J-Rzez

Majik said:
Next you [purists] get to tear the ProStreet demo to shreds. It's with MS at the mo.

Listen, this is a discussion about daddy racing sim games... Not a "scene" racer... Nobody giving that pic you threw up before of prostreet a second look should've told you that...

Anyways, I'm really warming up to white on the Evo X... If it's a nice pearl, I may give that more though... Then again, that's if I go Evo again this time instead of STI... I love the way the STI looks and the interior... Tough decisions...

VonGak!

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yep, there was an interview with some professional driver after GT4 was released who said they nailed every turn and bump in their version of the Nurburgring with the exception of one part (he didn't say what the was).

I do not know anything more twisted than "I know something you don't and I won't tell".

Too bad that the track precision comes at a cost of less polygons for background. Though it does seem PD has polys to spare.

tha_con

Banned
szaromir said:
You drive a real car, you have an idea how a car should behave.

You don't have to be a professional soccer player to know how to kick a ball and how the ball should behave afterwards etc.

There's a really huge difference between slowly accellerating around town, and even on a highway, and knowing how your car is going to react when your rear wheels break the gripping point, and you use the throttle to push through the corner.

There is a big difference between knowing how to slow down for a turn coming off a highway, and slowing down to hit an apex, and knowing how much throttle to use to come out of the apex, and not going overboard to maintain traction, or knowing how to keep the car under control once the traction threshold is passed.

Your example, sir, is a failure.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The lighting GT is using is making the scenery look like, well overexposed: well, to make myself clear, look at the blu skies in these two pictures (GT and then Forza)...

als2mb.jpg

Can this result be caused by the different time of day and thus sun light intensity and height in the sky ?

Pallaris

PD just need to tone down that saturation effect...if you could actually see more of the track and sky I think there'd be less complaints. It's probably work in progress at any rate.

VonGak!

Banned
Trax416 said:
F2 looks way way better in environments.

Gt5 has better car models.
I beg to differ

You can see that the tracks in GT by far ar more detailed with each little detail, there's no difference in texture resolution and GT5 goes for realism.

Not forgetting this straight comparison:

acabado said:

I do not know who made up that GT games have drape tracks. GT4 had some lookers which if not better were at least on pair with the top of the competition.

Just take a look at the Nürb, Grand Canyon, Autumn, Le Mans and Cathedral Rock tracks.

Anyone denying this are either doing PR or haven't touched GT4, perhaps both.
bad memory is also a possibility

Are there any estimates to how much larger the GT series development team is compared to Turn-10? You have to take that into account, as the little graphical details seem to have more attention paid to them in GT5.

RSP said:

I agree with this sentiment. To me there are many issues much, much more important in a racing game than the graphics of cars and environment:

- Driving and physics model. Forza 2 was by far the best I have ever experienced in this respect.
- Leaderboards and tournaments, both in-game and available over the web. Again, Forza 2 has done this better than any game ever before.
- Other community features like car clubs, garages that can be visited by other players, user-created leagues and tournaments. Here Forza 2 has some way to go yet.

In my opinion, a racing game's longevity is completely determined by its community support, so where is Polyphony's Che?

Wollan

HocusPocus said:
Are there any estimates to how much larger the GT series development team is compared to Turn-10? You have to take that into account, as the little graphical details seem to have more attention paid to them in GT5.
So if we weigh every one of the team members and take the average from each team and divide it on the amount of GB the games take, Forza is a more impressive game?

VonGak!

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
The lighting GT is using is making the scenery look like, well overexposed: well, to make myself clear, look at the blu skies in these two pictures (GT and then Forza)...

http://i24.tinypic.com/als2mb.jpg

Can this result be caused by the different time of day and thus sun light intensity and height in the sky ?

Dunno how blue the ski is at you but here sunlight is known to be quite harsh and revealing especially on a cloudless day. ^.^

VonGak!

Banned
EDIT: Sorry about the DP

HocusPocus said:

Dunno if it's just time.

I mean just look at what Naughty dog has been able to do in two years with a team of 80 guys/gals and a budget of $20.

Talent and experience has a lot to say, the PD guys live for GT and all the old guys from the first games are still there plus the have a huge data-base filled with info gathered in the past.

They must pretty much have nailed an efficient work procedure by now, something which can't be bought for money.

I'd say this is also the reason why the GTA games keep beating the competition.

:)

EDIT:

Tieno said:

Best car physics ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom