• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

JWong

Banned
Niks said:
I think you meant,
doing doughnuts is pretty much pointless

;)
What are you talking about? People like turning their cars into ballerinas!

That's the whole points of a racing game. 8P

DuckRacer

He does have a point, if PD can model and animate tons of little things like air brakes, then surely some skid marks and reverse lights aren't too demanding?

Demanding and needed are two different things. The Veyron's airbrake is one of the things that stands out about it. Not having that would make it lose a bit of its charm.

Norml

SolidSnakex said:
Demanding and needed are two different things. The Veyron's airbrake is one of the things that stands out about it. Not having that would make it lose a bit of its charm.

Marks are needed though.It's a standard expected in every car game.

KingDizzi

Banned
anonymousAversa said:
Sorry if old, but does this mean skid marks are in?

IIRC there aren't any in prologue.

Those are baked in, that said the game looks way beyong GT5:p. Hardly a shocker since it has had two more years to improve but still, nice to see.

Livanh

Norml said:
Marks are needed though.It's a standard expected in every car game.

for what? people dont seem to get it:
the most important thing are the cars, make them as real as possible. then the physics. thats what gt is. everything else comes after that.
and thats why kaz said he wouldnt care so much about damage, it doesnt add something to the driving itself. just when thats done and they have some resources left, damage is added.
skidmarks are as important as fency grass: not at all. shure it may look better, but it adds nothing to the driving and thats above all. thats why its gt and not everything else.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DuckRacer said:
He does have a point, if PD can model and animate tons of little things like air brakes, then surely some skid marks and reverse lights aren't too demanding?

Reverse light are in I thought.

Skid marks can be useful so you can see where you skidded off previous lap and so forth, but they aren't crucial to me. Then again, neither is damage.

Chrange

Banned
Livanh said:
for what? people dont seem to get it:
the most important thing are the cars, make them as real as possible. then the physics. thats what gt is. everything else comes after that.
and thats why kaz said he wouldnt care so much about damage, it doesnt add something to the driving itself. just when thats done and they have some resources left, damage is added.
skidmarks are as important as fency grass: not at all. shure it may look better, but it adds nothing to the driving and thats above all. thats why its gt and not everything else.

I'd rather have skid marks than better trackside dirt, which they apparently added. Which does more for your driving - seeing where you had to brake too hard last time, or sweet dirt on the track edge?

Livanh

youre right. but in that regard you could say car graphics dont add anything either. wireframe cars would shure free up capacities for physics.
but thats not what they are after. they want to give you nice, clean, real looking visuals.
and id rather have a nice looking track than some skid marks which would maybe help the frist round, after that it would be blurry anyways.
or they let it fade away which would make the whole point moot. and you would also have skidmarks if you dont stall your tires or slide away completely. being on the edge rubs of tires too...

thefreshjive

Neo Member
Chrange said:
I'd rather have skid marks than better trackside dirt, which they apparently added. Which does more for your driving - seeing where you had to brake too hard last time, or sweet dirt on the track edge?

Skid marks are purely visual and IMO really have no benefits of improving your awareness of breaking zones. The track is riddled with tons of tire marks how are you gonna pick out which one is yours? How do you know you even left one? You'd be surprised half the time cars rarely leave one. Of course it also depends on your tire compound and whether you ABS equipped.

Yoboman

I wonder if that means the Indy track will be improved too. The textures in that track look closer to Prologue than GT5 in that comparison. Or is there really going to be a big difference like that between track quality?

BeeDog

*jonesing*

How long until a proper blowout? Hooow looooong!?

This is getting ridiculous. The game has been circulating on various trade shows for a while now, there's that awesome behind-the-curtains trailer that leaked (with the new stages), there're pics of the online setup mode etc. Yet NOTHING has been officially released, aside from a stupid checklist (that was retracted and only served to confuse the fans), various unclear tidbits and bullshots.

Polyphony ought to let outlets do some proper previews that showcase some of the new features that are finished and won't change the coming months.

Chrange

Banned
thefreshjive said:
Skid marks are purely visual and IMO really have no benefits of improving your awareness of breaking zones. The track is riddled with tons of tire marks how are you gonna pick out which one is yours? How do you know you even left one? You'd be surprised half the time cars rarely leave one. Of course it also depends on your tire compound and whether you ABS equipped.

It's amazing how resistant people are to small improvements. It's okay to admit the game would be better off with it for crying out loud.

torontoml

BeeDog said:
there's that awesome behind-the-curtains trailer that leaked (with the new stages), there're pics of the online setup mode etc. .
What is this, the one from the Tokyo game show, with the damage?

Livanh

Chrange said:
It's amazing how resistant people are to small improvements. It's okay to admit the game would be better off with it for crying out loud.

thats not what its about. its probably not very high on their to do list for the reasons stated above, or they just dont have the hardware resources right now.
maybe a mix of both.
nice to have, yes. important? not at all.

Yoboman

Chrange said:
I don't think it's a hardware thing or anything, I just don't think Kaz finds it aesthetically pleasing for some reason

Or maybe it's something they will wait till the end to add if they have enough processing overhead left

thefreshjive

Neo Member
Chrange said:

Um, when was I resistant? I just made a statement about skid marks being appealing as a purely eye candy. I could really care less whether or not it's implemented in GT5. I just thought it was funny someone would consciously use their own real time skid marks to judge their driving. No hard feelings man.

Chrange said:

No one is against skid marks being in the game. People are just saying that it's not a big deal. Kaz did a good job of answering a question about it

I'm hoping our players won't be caught up with minor details. If they pick at every little thing, nobody will be satisfied. It's the overall evolution that will impress. Skidmarks should be of no concern. (He says with a laugh).

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
28jkvmd.png

Same area from Prologue
346w1fo.png
That is amazing. Glad to see the tracks are looking as good as the cars now. GT5 is definitely going to be worth the wait.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Skid marks add absolutely zero value for racing purposes. It's a nice visual flare that I hope makes it in, but to argue that it would help driving more than dirt on the road? :lol

Because I spend all my time in the cockpit, I'd rather have better looking track textures in front of me than skidmarks behind me that I never see.

But hey, add skidmarks PD, why not.

saladine1

Does anyone know whether all tracks from previous GT's will be in GT5?
I just want to see 3 tracks in all their next gen glory.

Grand Canyon Rally, City Di Aria and Deep Forest with sun rays shining through the tree tops!

Yoboman

Seems like now that the modelling of the cars is pretty much finished they are pouring all their massive resources into polishing everything else

Those are really big upgrades, though being off-screen is probably helping a bit

Gek54

chubigans said:
Skid marks add absolutely zero value for racing purposes. It's a nice visual flare that I hope makes it in, but to argue that it would help driving more than dirt on the road? :lol

Because I spend all my time in the cockpit, I'd rather have better looking track textures in front of me than skidmarks behind me that I never see.

But hey, add skidmarks PD, why not.

Actually they are a really nice visual key for telling if a car in front of you is losing his ass or locking his wheels into a corner. When you see those tire tracks its time to attack and overtake.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gek54 said:
Actually they are a really nice visual key for telling if a car in front of you is losing his ass or locking his wheels into a corner. When you see those tire tracks its time to attack and overtake.

Smoke is actually more telling as skid marks a) show up later than smoke and b) might overlap with old marks.

Mush

Does Kaz even justify why he doesn't think he needs to add skidmarks/smoke? They are part of real racing, and for the authentic experience that GT is known for, it just seems silly that they aren't included.

thuway

Mush said:
Does Kaz even justify why he doesn't think he needs to add skidmarks/smoke? They are part of real racing, and for the authentic experience that GT is known for, it just seems silly that they aren't included.

Its nice to want things.

Baki

Mush said:

Because he'd rather spend time on other things.

krea

Banned
Vlightray said:
Skidmarks and smoke is a cool factor so I wouldn't mind them either.

A good Racing Physics or 16 Cars on the track are fucking cool factors. Skidmarks and smoke are toys for litte "look-on-my-new-youtube-video"-kids.

Iknos

chubigans said:

How about realism purposes? Is realism not a target here?

Fuji looks much better. PD must be taking the "boring looking tracks" criticisms and doing something about it.

spwolf

TTP said:
Smoke is actually more telling as skid marks a) show up later than smoke and b) might overlap with old marks.

well you would actually look at car behaviour in front of you, not skidmarks or smoke... you can easily see the speed they are going with and any skids/slides/whatever.

we are not indian bear hunters that look at tracks to determine when did bear pass ;-).

if we are talking about little things, lets hope they fix all the wonky shawdows....

Vlightray

krea said:
A good Racing Physics or 16 Cars on the track are fucking cool factors. Skidmarks and smoke are toys for litte "look-on-my-new-youtube-video"-kids.

Realism? Skidmarks should have been in GT games ages ago.
Not that I personally give a shit but yeah following someone in front and they slide out leave a cloud of smoke and skidmarks off the track is realistic. Specially since they added some damage.

Watched the Vid just me or has the speed been increased or camera movement more haven't played Prologue in ages.

Yoboman

Igo said:
Is it me or does the car have way too much traction over the grass and sand traps.
Driving aids and standard physics

You slow to a crawl in the demo over grass and sand

phil_t

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
28jkvmd.png

Same area from Prologue
346w1fo.png

Wow.. that is the first time I've genuinely been impressed with the new improvements!

That kind of texture detail will IMO add more immersive realism then just about anything else you can throw at it..

Well done PD!

Firewire

Banned
Chrange said:

This seriously made me laugh. If you need skid marks in a corner to analyze how you took a corner, you are doing it all wrong.

Top Bottom