• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

Firewire

Banned
Someone over at GTP just noticed that the icon to the left of the sun at the very top is the "Apple Works" icon.

gran-turismo-5-online-menu-scree-1.jpg

Apple Works Icon...
AppleWorks-1.png

GT5 going Mac exclusive?
I'm joking, as if it wasn't obvious enough.

I'm actually impressed someone noticed that, I wouldn't have.

deepbrown

BeeDog said:
Hm, I do not think that anyone has captured the weather option in the settings box to the left, up until now that is. Curiosity increasing.
Where is the weather option in the left settings box?

BeeDog

deepbrown said:
Where is the weather option in the left settings box?

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2528/gt5c.jpg

I'm probably wrong, but anyway:

Check the "Race Settings" box to the left. The fourth icon looks like two cars (one white, one black) and a sun behind them. I guess it could indicate damage too (as in, a "crash flash" or something), but the shape of the sun seems similar to the colored sun behind clouds in the upper right corner of the screen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:

Check the "Race Settings" box to the left. The fourth icon looks like two cars (one white, one black) and a sun behind them. I guess it could indicate damage too (as in, a "crash flash" or something), but the shape of the sun seems similar to the colored sun behind clouds in the upper right corner of the screen.

Fixed :p

deepbrown

BeeDog said:

Looks like a damage on/off setting to me.

BeeDog

Alright then, since you guys seem extremely certain about it, I guess I'll have to trust you. :p The lack of concrete GT5 info is getting to my head, it seems.

deepbrown

BeeDog said:
Alright then, since you guys seem extremely certain about it, I guess I'll have to trust you. :p The lack of concrete GT5 info is getting to my head, it seems.
Well at least we now know its on the iPad.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
-viper- said:
saw your original post and I have to say I partly agree :p

I thought full damage on race cars and paint damage on prod. cars was already a known factor since Leipzig?

Very cool to hear about night racing. Fingers crossed on weather systems.

-viper-

Banned
chespace said:
I thought full damage on race cars and paint damage on prod. cars was already a known factor since Leipzig?

Very cool to hear about night racing. Fingers crossed on weather systems.
Remember hearing that all cars were to have (light) deformation with race cars having removable body panels.

KingDizzi

Banned
-viper- said:
Remember hearing that all cars were to have (light) deformation with race cars having removable body panels.

It was production cars having scratches, race cars have the full monty and all have mechanical damage.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-viper- said:

The light deformation I think is the paint scratches. They are two terms for what I think is the same thing. Some call it paint scratches because its the most noticeable part, no parts fly off and visually the most immediate result is the texture change for scratches and dents. We saw it in videos already where body panels go slightly out of alignment, the bumpers and hood bow a bit and textures change, but no body parts fly off.

I dont think we will have three tiers of visual damage. Paint only. Paint plus slight deformation. Paint, deformation and parts fall off.

Though I guess with special series races like Nascar and GT and rally, they could have custom damage models for certain events.

Either way, thorough mechanical is the most important. Visually we will get feedback of the damage being done through the textures and slight changes, but handling wise, that's what I see as crucial.

That said, have we seen any broken windshields? Will the in car view be affected? And in all the race setting screens we have seen, is there a way to force a certain camera angle for a race setting (force cockpit view?)

BeeDog

See Polyphony? All this ridiculous speculation wouldn't even be here if you only put forth some solid information. :(

Gek54

AndyD said:
The light deformation I think is the paint scratches. They are two terms for what I think is the same thing. Some call it paint scratches because its the most noticeable part, no parts fly off and visually the most immediate result is the texture change for scratches and dents. We saw it in videos already where body panels go slightly out of alignment, the bumpers and hood bow a bit and textures change, but no body parts fly off.

I dont think we will have three tiers of visual damage. Paint only. Paint plus slight deformation. Paint, deformation and parts fall off.

Though I guess with special series races like Nascar and GT and rally, they could have custom damage models for certain events.

Either way, thorough mechanical is the most important. Visually we will get feedback of the damage being done through the textures and slight changes, but handling wise, that's what I see as crucial.

That said, have we seen any broken windshields? Will the in car view be affected? And in all the race setting screens we have seen, is there a way to force a certain camera angle for a race setting (force cockpit view?)

Pics of deformation on anything other than a rally car? The only other car with "damage" I remember is the one with the magic paint sander texture swapping.

Ferrari-damage.jpg

jhenedo

Banned
BeeDog said:
See Polyphony? All this ridiculous speculation wouldn't even be here if you only put forth some solid information. :(

Not to sound like a douche But you also would'nt be talking these things now. Studios like microsoft are far notorious at keeping things underwraps until last minute. Look at bungie and halo 3 for reference.

spwolf

BeeDog said:

not really, as soon as we know some info, it immediatly becomes "old news" and somehow not interesting anymore.

so right now dynamic weather and night racing have become "boring"... before, people sworn that it is their biggest feature ever.

Like it or not, PD is doing it right. They are keeping everyone on their toes.

For those that haven't heard, EA just released a Ferrari pack for the 360 version of NFS: Shift. According to them, it's not releasing on the PS3 (and PC) due to existing Ferrari licensing agreements. I'm not really sure that it'll have any impact on GT5, but it's certainly interesting.

spwolf

i would guess if EA info is true, as even Ferrari themselves advertised new car in GT5 promo only 2-3 months ago.

Firewire

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
For those that haven't heard, EA just released a Ferrari pack for the 360 version of NFS: Shift. According to them, it's not releasing on the PS3 (and PC) due to existing Ferrari licensing agreements. I'm not really sure that it'll have any impact on GT5, but it's certainly interesting.
Sounds like some EA bs to me.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:

wat

jett said:

Listen everyone, we're all big fans of Ferrari so we're disappointed that it's not going to be available on PS3 or PC too...

We would love to provide the Ferrari Racing Series across all platforms.

However it is only available on Xbox 360 as a result of existing Ferrari licensing agreements beyond the control of Need for Speed.

DEO3

spwolf said:

Everyone but me, apparently.

I was on my toes last year, when "it could be released at any time", when there was going to be a huge E3 blow out, then a huge Gamescom blowout, then a huge TMS blowout. Back when there were scanned flyers saying it was going to be released in 2009.

Now a days, not so much.

spwolf

Galvanise_ said:
It really is interesting that the Mac icon made it into GT5, even temporarily, because the PS3 devkit doesn't even support Macs.

you think their graphics design artist or icon design artist uses ps3? ;-)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Isn't Ferrari Challenge a PS3 game? Which to me seems to suggest that there is no reason why NFS couldn't use Ferrari on the PS3. Unless of course that game is the reason.

user_nat said:
Isn't Ferrari Challenge a PS3 game? Which to me seems to suggest that there is no reason why NFS couldn't use Ferrari on the PS3. Unless of course that game is the reason.

Yeah and Supercar Challenge was released in September of last year. So anything that's happened as far as licensing with Ferrari would have had to happen fairly recently.

torontoml

But its PC too, don't hear about to many PS3/PC only games, so I don't see it being exclusivity system rights. So unless its 2 completely unrelated games, I don't know what it would be.

Iknos

-viper- said:
Clearly every improvement in GT5 is influenced by the other games.

No not every improvement. Just improvements made quite late in the development cycle.

I understand some fanboys want to spin it like PD doesn't pay any attention to the competition but it's glaringly obvious here. And guess what...there's only one particular group of people here attacking me for that statement...

Rapping Granny said:
WTF WTF WTF WTF?? WHY????? WTF have you been doing all this time PD?

You don't really need falling parts for damage to be an integral part of the game. Most of the damage you get amongst serious participants is restricted to rubbing and grinding anyways.

The vital part is to have damage affect the performance of the car.

The only time you really need cars flipping over and losing full parts is in Rally. And that's what we've seen so far...WRC cars have full damage.

Iknos said:
No not every improvement. Just improvements made quite late in the development cycle..

This was the first time we've seen a new build of Fuji in over two years (Prologue was released in December of 07 in Japan). It seems natural that the game would improve visually over that span of time.

evolution

Iknos said:
No not every improvement. Just improvements made quite late in the development cycle.

I understand some fanboys want to spin it like PD doesn't pay any attention to the competition but it's glaringly obvious here. And guess what...there's only one particular group of people here attacking me for that statement...
If thats your reasoning, everyone should be making fun of you.

spwolf

Iknos said:

how can better textures be influenced by another game? "late" to the development cycle? :lol

KingDizzi

Banned
Iknos said:

I agree and have no idea why people think this is not the case. PD and Turn 10 influence each other in game development and other aspects. Greenwalt shaved his beard so that he could be more like his hero Kazunori Yamauchi while the latter delayed GT5 in order to implement liveries into GT5 so that people deprived of colouring books as children have something to look forward to.

MGR

spwolf said:
not really, as soon as we know some info, it immediatly becomes "old news" and somehow not interesting anymore.

so right now dynamic weather and night racing have become "boring"... before, people sworn that it is their biggest feature ever.

I agree, but standing on my toes for this long is really staring to hurt my feet.

Top Bottom