• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 delayed to 2022 due to Covid

tillbot8

Banned
Crap, crap, crap. I wont bother getting a PS5 till that little beauty comes out. Hope the staff are coping okay with everything. I have not been best pleased with Kaz this last decade but cant be mad for this situation, its just shit all round :(

reksveks

Nope, I think Turn 10 had even less to show than Polyphony when they announced their new game.
Yeah, forza 8 ain't going to be this year and I am even doubting 2022 unless it's q4 22. I have a secret feeling that you might get another horizon though this year. Not a huge graphical update though.

Arkam

Well fuck... was really hoping it was going to get sorted out and make it by summer.

Instead its more like this...

car crash GIF

xrnzaaas

Yeah, forza 8 ain't going to be this year and I am even doubting 2022 unless it's q4 22. I have a secret feeling that you might get another horizon though this year. Not a huge graphical update though.
Yep Horizon 5 would be great, I think there's still time to announce the game in the summer and have it release in Q3/Q4. Horizon 4 is a 2018 game, they already have an extra year compared to their previous schedule.

Elios83

This is definetly disappointing since it seemed they could actually make it. God of War seemed the unrealistic one.
Let's see how far in 2022 it will slip into but the most important thing is that they're finally able to deliver a full GT game without the many compromises seen in past games like GT5 or the barebone (at launch) online focused GT Sport.

Data Ghost

Since Astrobot and Miles Morales my PS5 really ain’t getting much use. I’m literally turning it on to see if there are any updates available. GT7 will be worth the wait tho (I hope).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do we actually believe this is going to make even the projected 2022 release year?
Sony doesn't release heavy hitters until the user base props up. If system shortages keep going all year and into next year where even sold out consoles leads to a low user base, there will be more delays.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Sony's big fall releases will be some new Godfall skins and a remaster of Legend of Dragoon (only the first 20 hrs).

Naked Lunch

Sony doesn't release heavy hitters until the user base props up. If system shortages keep going all year and into next year where even sold out consoles leads to a low user base, there will be more delays.
I mean just the history of the franchise alone should be enough. Ive learned my lesson not to get my hopes up for release dates of GT too early.
Luckily Gran Turismo is always worth it in the end - so I can wait.

More like COVID is the perfect excuse for that studio to latch to. It would be something else if COVID weren't present (most likely) - at least that's the precedent that studio has set themselves. Highly mismanaged studio in my opinion that has been running on brand power and Sony's capture of the european market for quite a lot of years now.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Crazy since these both came out in 2017 and couldn’t hit console launches and maybe not even by 2022.
I think the long break is more noticeable with FM, because Gran Turismo was getting tons of new content for about 2 years. They haven't stopped supporting it with new content that long ago.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
With PS5 being out of stock covid probably isn't the only reason. A shame, I was looking forward to GT7 being one of my main PS5 games for this year.
Why would the demand issue lead to delays? The system is selling at a similar rate to PS4. Sony would not delay games just because more consoles will have sold by then, they want revenue now coming from the 6 million or so units out there. Big games sell millions and will continue to sell as people get systems. Early adopters are hungry for games. Should Sony not try to serve them because they can add a few million consoles in a few months or should they give them something to buy so they can begin seeing positive cash flow for the PS5? They also want to keep demand high. The longer these things fly off the trucks before getting to shelves, the better position they will be in for the generation. Delaying games is not plan A, it is plan B.

xrnzaaas

Why would the demand issue lead to delays? The system is selling at a similar rate to PS4. Sony would not delay games just because more consoles will have sold by then, they want revenue now coming from the 6 million or so units out there. Big games sell millions and will continue to sell as people get systems. Early adopters are hungry for games. Should Sony not try to serve them because they can add a few million consoles in a few months or should they give them something to buy so they can begin seeing positive cash flow for the PS5? They also want to keep demand high. The longer these things fly off the trucks before getting to shelves, the better position they will be in for the generation. Delaying games is not plan A, it is plan B.
First of all I think it's safe to say that quite a big part of those ~6 millions aren't in the hands of customers and that scalpers are still looking for suckers. Also racing games have become more niche, you can't expect even half of the userbase to buy GT7. GTS had a pretty bad start despite launching later in the generation and it only started selling better after it dropped to half price merely a month after release. There's also the case of GT7 being a PS5-only game so you won't get extra sales from PS4 users.

In my opinion it makes sense to release games with medium budgets now like Returnal and Ratchet & Clank or games which are crossgen. Gran Turismo 7 will cost a shitton to make.

Last edited:
Top Bottom