• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA IV VS GTA V console frame rate

Hesemonni

Banned
What I find funny is that I'm usually really sensitive when it comes to frame rates in games. GTA IV's frame rate was something of a deal breaker for me, but in GTA V it doesn't bother me the slightest. I'm not sure whether I'm subconsciously prepared for a slightly sluggish performance because of the scope, but I haven't felt bothered at all.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
070313_SM1082~Cripple-Fight-Posters.jpg

saunderez

Don't agree with the OP at all GTA IV had a terrible framerate and looked like shit compared to V. Paint filter was awful.

jimi_dini

So I went back to gta iv since I let a friend borrow gta v and I can't help but notice the framerate in IV is way smoother. Seems 30 or more

You are talking about 360, right?
Because the PS3 version of GTA IV made my eyes bleed.

If GTA V is even worse than that, oh my gosh...

Atlas157

You are talking about 360, right?
Because the PS3 version of GTA IV made my eyes bleed.

If GTA V is even worse than that, oh my gosh...

Don't listen to him, he just needs a trip to the Ophthalmologist.

GTA V runs way better than GTA IV on PS3, and the FPS difference between 360 and PS3 versions of GTA V are like 2 FPS.

Demon Ice

Banned
As a PC-only player of GTA games, I bought GTA IV for the PS3 at launch and found the framerate atrocious.

There is no feasible way at all that GTA V, a game I have not played, could be worse than GTA IV on the PS3.

Same boat. You're telling me the frame rate in GTA V is somehow WORSE than IV??? Haha fuuuuck that.

Holding out for PC / next gen version, come on Rockstar, don't let your vision be limited to a medium that's incapable of properly showing it off.

haikira

Same boat. You're telling me the frame rate in GTA V is somehow WORSE than IV??? Haha fuuuuck that.

Holding out for PC / next gen version, come on Rockstar, don't let your vision be limited to a medium that's incapable of properly showing it off.

I seriously have no idea what the OP is talking about. V is a step up from IV in every way, including framerate. I think so people in here have to adjust the TV's they are playing on to game mode or something.

I was also dumbfounded by the "IV looks sharper than V" comment. Maybe people have been playing too much GTA Online. All the assets are dropped a little in quality from the single player portion.

I played GTA IV on ps3 a week before getting GTA V. The difference is night and day. I still can't believe how well GTA V runs and looks compared to the last one.

V has a better framerate comparing PS3 versions of the two for me.

But overall both are pretty awful. Hope a PC version comes because the low fps really hurt the game sometimes

I knew GTAV was going to run like dogshit on PS360. All those videos they were showing was just smoke and mirrors.

Just waiting for the PC version now.

Dragon

Banned
IV to V on PS3 is night and day. I couldn't play through IV because of how shitty the framerate and fog shit was.

GTAIV's framerate is absolutely terrible when anything is going on. GTAV is generally unaffected by things like gun fights, cop cars, etc., with the exception of explosions & fire.

There are a few key regions that run lousy: The northern highway up near.. Grapeseed or wherever, when you're going through the mountains in particular.

Doing the "optimal install" -- installing mandatory disc to HDD, installing play disc to a USB, launching from the pins, really does make a noticeable change.

Also, the two games are so vastly different graphically they're barely comparable.

...and GTA 5 also has a blurry FXAA filter over the graphics, which gives the game a very soft look. Red Dead and GTA 4 look a lot sharper and clearer in comparison.

Are you sure we're talking about the same game, on the same console?

GTAIV on 360 is the blurriest mess of a game, it aged horribly. You can't read street signs even right below them.

...and GTA 5 also has a blurry FXAA filter over the graphics, which gives the game a very soft look. Red Dead and GTA 4 look a lot sharper and clearer in comparison.

Ahahaha. PS3 version looked like a blurry mess even more blurred by fanboy tears.
360 version looked like a blurry mess with gif dithering all over the fucking screen.

GTA4 was an ugly game and even with the framerate being worse on GTAV, i'll take the graphics and IQ of GTAV over IV any day.

Did you mix up 4 with 5 there? Because 4 is blurry as fuck on consoles, 5 looks waaaay sharper and clearer.

Also yeah, V's framerate is much more consistent than IV. Feels a lot less choppy to play.

jts

...hate me...
I knew GTAV was going to run like dogshit on PS360. All those videos they were showing was just smoke and mirrors.

Just waiting for the PC version now.

GTA V performance is amazing on the PS3. Much better IQ and framerate than IV.

Funny that it went the totally opposite direction on the 360.

GTA V performance is amazing on the PS3. Much better IQ and framerate than IV.

Funny that it went the totally opposite direction on the 360.

Not really.. They're virtually almost identical. 360 does suffer from more pop-in, likewise, the PSN digital version does as well. If you install the play disc to a USB stick on the 360 the games are pretty much identical.

During the 5 years I played IV on my 360, I don't think I can ever recall having any frame-rate dips at all. During the month that I had V, the frame-rate can get atrocious at times, especially when there's a lot of action going on or when I'm in a boat.

Nethaniah

During the 5 years I played IV on my 360, I don't think I can ever recall having any frame-rate dips at all. During the month that I had V, the frame-rate can get atrocious at times, especially when there's a lot of action going on or when I'm in a boat.

No, just no.

Macro.

Banned
I must be one of the lucky few who cannot really see the difference. Only noticed my GTA V slow down a couple times in all my playtime.

Other than that I would say it is very smooth.

I think the biggest issue with GTA V's framerate, is that it sucks on town, but on the nature it's super fluid. So you really notice the difference, in IV it was constantly bad.

piggychan

Don't listen to him, he just needs a trip to the Ophthalmologist.

GTA V runs way better than GTA IV on PS3, and the FPS difference between 360 and PS3 versions of GTA V are like 2 FPS.

may also depend on how old your system is. GTA V frame rate runs ok on my 360 slim but on my buddies old falcon 360 it chugs from the DVD drive accessing..

system11

That comparison video reminded me just how much I dislike motion blur, I'm so happy they didn't go crazy with it again in V.

Karak

I've played 100+ hours of both games.
The game is smoother than GTAIV. I'm not sure what OP is talking about.

E: I'm on 360.

Mine too. That is really interesting but wouldn't surprise me as more and more games seem to have slightly different results on identical systems. Must be something up.

Top Bottom