• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA:LCS hands on preview - 1up.com (new screens too)

This game is still designed around 222 Mhz right? Cause if it is, using the fastloader it could be a smoother experience than even the PS2 games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
homerav.jpg

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Thanks for the preview, 1up. Some of my concerns were addressed. I'm still curious to see how the missions are constucted to be more portable friendly. By what I've seen thus far, I'll be there on day one, Rockstar.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Goreomedy said:
Thanks for the preview, 1up. Some of my concerns were addressed. I'm still curious to see how the missions are constucted to be more portable friendly. By what I've seen thus far, I'll be there on day one, Rockstar.

it's been confirmed that missions will be much shorter in order to compensate for the portable format. but they're still promising something like 80 hours of gameplay, so dont think the game is shorter because of the missions

i'm just hoping that the game has a 'save anywhere' option. or i guess i'll be using sleep mode most of the time

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wario64 said:
it's been confirmed that missions will be much shorter in order to compensate for the portable format. but they're still promising something like 80 hours of gameplay, so dont think the game is shorter because of the missions

i'm just hoping that the game has a 'save anywhere' option. or i guess i'll be using sleep mode most of the time

Right, I didn't think the content would be lacking, but I'd like some info on how the new missions play out. And yes, I suppose the sleep mode options means even a traditional GTA game will be portable friendly.

Juice

Controls worry me so much that I'm not going to trust the opinion of anyone else on them. I'll keep worrying, thank you. Nice to hear, though.

Do we have a super solid release date on it yet??

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kangu said:
No mention of battery life? That's the key unknown for this game AFAIC.
I really really don't think it's going to drain any faster than, say, Ridge Racers. I've spent a lot of time playing 333 MHz games (from UMD even) and the battery really doesn't drain all that much faster. At 222 MHz, I doubt GTA will kill the battery.

Juice

dark10x said:
I really really don't think it's going to drain any faster than, say, Ridge Racers. I've spent a lot of time playing 333 MHz games (from UMD even) and the battery really doesn't drain all that much faster. At 222 MHz, I doubt GTA will kill the battery.

AWTP. I don't think it'll be any more a problem than other graphically intensive games. Especially not at 222mhz.

Dark10x: Can you say definitively whether or not you get better battery life playing off a stick than a UMD? (And how much 333mhz affects bat life?) So far I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Juice said:
Dark10x: Can you say definitively whether or not you get better battery life playing off a stick than a UMD? (And how much 333mhz affects bat life?) So far I haven't noticed much of a difference.

i havent seen a difference either...i dont think umd loading uses much battery life as people think. i wish someone could do a battery test cause im too lazy to do one

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't say for certain at this point.

I haven't noticed any real difference, though. The UMD drive has very low voltage requirements and likely won't make a difference.

I still think Ridge Racers drains the bettery more than any other game that I own. 60 fps gives the system a workout.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
IGN highlights 5 missions in the game, which sounds pretty much typical of a GTA game with a rails on mission on a boat. seems like you still have to use the hideout to save your game, which kinda sucks

Juice

acklame said:
10/26/2005

Shit, weren't they saying end of September a month ago? I remember calling bullshit on it when I heard that.

Now I'm sad.

Dark10x said:
I still think Ridge Racers drains the bettery more than any other game that I own. 60 fps gives the system a workout.

I agree that the CPU/GPU (appropriately) are what's draining the system fastest.

I know this is crazy, but when I memstick load ridge racer and MGA, my screen ghosts FAR LESS. This makes absolutely no sense to me, as I figured that was solely an LCD issue. The difference is clear.

No matter. At least our deaths looked good. We went down in flaming glory as officers of the law pumped us full of searing lead and threw explosives. In fact, most of everything in LCS looks downright impressive. At the very least, it looks just as good as GTA: San Andreas on the PS2. At its best, though, LCS looks better due to improved environmental effects and other graphical flourishes. Water in LCS looks more lifelike than in GTA: San Andreas, for example, and vehicle reflections lend LCS a layer of polish missing from previous GTA games.

I think IGN took money hats from R*. Looks better than GTA SA? BS

Error Macro said:
dark10x said he played 333MHz games from UMD?

:confused:

He used a fastloader to overclock the game to 333Mhz. I assumed you meant about that all games released are initially restricted to 333Mhz and are designed around these specs unstead of 222Mhz.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
He used a fastloader to overclock the game to 333Mhz. All games released are restricted to 222Mhz.

Ooooh, my bad. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, to add something related to the thread: GTA:LCS looks great. Is it going to require "upgrading" to firmware 2.0 in order to play? 'Cause that would be poop.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Error Macro said:
Ooooh, my bad. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, to add something related to the thread: GTA:LCS looks great. Is it going to require "upgrading" to firmware 2.0 in order to play? 'Cause that would be poop.

probably. but why would it be poop when we have a 2.0 -> 1.5 downgrader and the WAB version changer?

Wario64 said:
probably. but why would it be poop when we have a 2.0 -> 1.5 downgrader and the WAB version changer?

Hmm, I appear to be completely out of the loop on all things PSP.

/goes to look up version changer thingies

Juice

kaching said:
No.
Good for you!

Yeah, I checked the thread where I said I didn't like anything in the Fall Calendar, and under my copy-and-pasted list, GTA:LCS was listed for September at the time by Sony. That was the end of August.

Link1110

Does that version changer work with new games? I heard some japanese demo disc was still forcing an upgrade even WITH it. Can anyone confirm if it works with newer stuff?

Juice

Link1110 said:
Does that version changer work with new games? I heard some japanese demo disc was still forcing an upgrade even WITH it. Can anyone confirm if it works with newer stuff?

As yet, there isn't a final list of what games can load through UMD Emulator .8, though I believe it's identical in the case of both untampered ISOs as well as actual discs. While a few don't work, there are ones more recent than those that do. It seems like there's some confounding variable that's messing those ones up, rather than anything clever on Sony's part.

I think that GTA will probably be different than all this. The hackers will spend all of their time making sure they can get GTA to work. A few Japanese demos can slip through the cracks, but they're definitely going to want to get the donations that come if they can get GTA up and running (probably before it hits shelves, sadly).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Juice said:
As yet, there isn't a final list of what games can load through UMD Emulator .8, though I believe it's identical in the case of both untampered ISOs as well as actual discs. While a few don't work, there are ones more recent than those that do. It seems like there's some confounding variable that's messing those ones up, rather than anything clever on Sony's part.

I think that GTA will probably be different than all this. The hackers will spend all of their time making sure they can get GTA to work. A few Japanese demos can slip through the cracks, but they're definitely going to want to get the donations that come if they can get GTA up and running (probably before it hits shelves, sadly).

wab version changer loads everything from what i know (ASSUMING YOU'RE NOT A PIR8 YARR)

i did remember some people here having problems with downloadng those TGS demos on a fake "2.0" psp though. but then again, they were using wi-fi downloadable demos so who knows

Top Bottom