• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

knerl

Anybody notice that VRAM on the 970 is hitting ~3700MB in Windows 10 playing GTA V? Before I upgraded it was 3200MB

Now that you said it. I'm getting this too. If it's this high now I suspect this might be the culprit to my 1 second freeze lags from time to time. Will have to log it a bit.

Yarbskoo

So does anyone have any tips for getting the game to, uhh, start? I sat at the "loading story mode" screen for ten minutes watching the same three character portraits repeat over and over.

I was hoping this would be the first time I could play a GTA game on PC without major issues. Nope. Thanks a lot Rockstar.

Qassim

Yeah, I went in game and tested this after seeing this the first time, when I aim when in cover I see a frametime spike up to 70ms and then it immediately drops back down again, it's clear as day and can be reproduced over and over again without fail. I notice a very small frametime spike when jumping (less than 2ms), but it's consistent and also can be reproduced without fail over and over again.

My performance in the game outside of that is really really great with really low and consistent frametimes, but yeah - even though a lot of my time in the game at the moment is just me messing around driving and looking around places (so this particular animation bug doesn't really affect the way I'm playing at the moment) - once (or if) they fix that, then it'll be all good.

Yarbskoo

So does anyone have any tips for getting the game to, uhh, start? I sat at the "loading story mode" screen for ten minutes watching the same three character portraits repeat over and over.

I was hoping this would be the first time I could play a GTA game on PC without major issues. Nope. Thanks a lot Rockstar.

Looks like I fixed it by setting the process to high priority. Now I just need to deal with the stuttering and textures that load slower than I drive.

knerl

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, no, I meant Rivatuner is showing that VRAM, not the in-game one. The in-game one is set at yellow, and shows 2032/2047 for my GTX 680 2GB.

I realise this is a relatively old post, but for the sake of clarification, he's saying that the in-game VRAM usage counter shouldn't be taken as gospel and you should allow for a small margin of error to account for particularly VRAM-heavy scenarios if you're experiencing a degradation of fluidity as a result of VRAM usage exceeding 2048MB.

Afro

New small patch today.

Still getting the random, infrequent fps drops w/ 980ti (will just suddenly drop to 45fps while cruising), which seems more frequent during police action. Didn't seem to fix anything.

Same w/ you guys?

Vuze

New small patch today.

Still getting the random, infrequent fps drops w/ 980ti (will just suddenly drop to 45fps while cruising), which seems more frequent during police action. Didn't seem to fix anything.

Same w/ you guys?
Yes, it's only a RSC and GTAV Launcher update. The executable itself and everything else hasn't been touched.

Vuze

Thanks. So disappointing. Pre-ill gotten gains ran flawlessly.

Yeah, same here. I especially wonder how the hell they fucked up the cover shooting stuff. Why would this introduce stutter? I mean driving, yeah, streaming the world etc but this... m)

Dries

Guys, just to be sure: When applying Nvidia Control Panel effects for this game should I choose GTA5.exe or PlayGTAV.exe as the applicable executable?

Vuze

Guys, just to be sure: When applying Nvidia Control Panel effects for this game should I choose GTA5.exe or PlayGTAV.exe as the applicable executable?
I guess you have the RSC version since I don't even have PlayGTAV.exe (Steam). But yeah, choose GTA5.exe, that's the main executable.

By the time this game and Arkham Knight are fixed to a point that most would accept, Fallout 4, MGS V, Mad Max, Persona 5, Halo 5, and many other titles will have released.

LilJoka

By the time this game and Arkham Knight are fixed to a point that most would accept, Fallout 4, MGS V, Mad Max, Persona 5, Halo 5, and many other titles will have released.

It's pretty much fine now. Played the last SP heist on the new patch without issue.

There's some stutter at times but not that bad.

Bebpo

Banned

I fully expect most of those titles that are on PC to be broken as well :p

Basically, don't expect to really play PC games until months later. Although MGSV should be fine since Kojipro takes a lot of pride in their polish.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I check this thread periodically and it makes me really, really glad I backed up my pre-ill gotten gains version.

knerl

It's pretty much fine now. Played the last SP heist on the new patch without issue.

There's some stutter at times but not that bad.

It's there every single time you aim from cover.
Freeze lag for a split second. The same stuttering that occurs while the AI is doing certain things. Forget firefights, forget driving. Two big aspects that are ruined thanks to this issue that did NOT exist before said patch. Happens sporadically while doing nothing as well. Really annoying and game breaking. Nothing wrong on my end in terms of hardware, config, OS etc. Ran perfectly before the second latest patch. Now I can't touch it. My framerates still sits between 60-80 with most settings on their maximum values at 1080p. Average ~70. There's a thread in the steam community about this with 2k+ comments and still nothing. It's been a month since the patch and they still haven't acknowledged the issue.

EDIT:
So no. It's not fine. It runs much worse than before.

Almost two months now since they initially broke the fuck out of this game with Ill Gotten Gains Part 2, and it's still plagued with stuttering issues. GJ Rockstar.

Nillansan

I check this thread periodically and it makes me really, really glad I backed up my pre-ill gotten gains version.

Oh man, if only Steam had an option to roll back to previous builds of a game. I was really looking forward to playing this after upgrading my rig, such a shame.

Dries

Almost two months now since they initially broke the fuck out of this game with Ill Gotten Gains Part 2, and it's still plagued with stuttering issues. GJ Rockstar.

Only stuttering I get is during cutscenes and that strange stutter when you aim from cover. That's all though, so for me at least it's playable. The Self Radio stuttering seems to be greatly improved too.

LilJoka

It's there every single time you aim from cover.
Freeze lag for a split second. The same stuttering that occurs while the AI is doing certain things. Forget firefights, forget driving. Two big aspects that are ruined thanks to this issue that did NOT exist before said patch. Happens sporadically while doing nothing as well. Really annoying and game breaking. Nothing wrong on my end in terms of hardware, config, OS etc. Ran perfectly before the second latest patch. Now I can't touch it. My framerates still sits between 60-80 with most settings on their maximum values at 1080p. Average ~70. There's a thread in the steam community about this with 2k+ comments and still nothing. It's been a month since the patch and they still haven't acknowledged the issue.

EDIT:
So no. It's not fine. It runs much worse than before.

Full specs?
Settings?

Can you do a frametime log like I have a few pages back? I used MSI afterburner with 100ms poll time. Either send your log file to me or import into excel to make a large graph.

I don't have any problem aiming from cover. I played the Pacific Standard heist multiple times without issues either on latest patch.

I'm just getting similar stutter to a few patches back which seems random, more like streaming game asset stutter but it's not often at all.

Only stuttering I get is during cutscenes and that strange stutter when you aim from cover. That's all though, so for me at least it's playable. The Self Radio stuttering seems to be greatly improved too.

I also get it from vehicle collisions and near-misses. Gets even worse if you use a mod that makes AI drivers crash more often. And the aim from cover thing applies to NPCs as well. So if you have a high wanted level, you'll have a bunch of cops utilizing cover and causing the game to become a stuttery mess.

I'm curious does anyone know if the console versions are also affected by these stuttering issues after I'll Gotten Gains or is it just the PC version?

Hmm, interesting to see the last few pages of this thread. I recently went back to the game and while the game runs like a dream most of the time, I get a weird hitch every few minutes. The game runs absolutely flawless, but then randomly pauses for a few milliseconds. I do not get constant stutters, just this. And it really seems to be absolutely random. Maybe once every 10-15 minutes? Really weird and annoying.

Oh, shootouts were also slightly laggy. Might be what people describe as "cover issues" here.

I will play the PS4 version and report back!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've been getting these stuttering issues too.

Sometimes it happens for a minute or so after loading the game or switching character. It always drops the same amount of frames. I run at 60fps so for example when it stutters it'll keep going from 60 > 47 > 60 > 47 > 60.

Also it gets really bad when shooting from cover or at high wanted star level (4 or 5). Car crashes sometimes cause it too.

Really hope they sort it out.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I honestly don't expect them to fix anything because they don't think it's broken.

I feel the same. I think they'll just leave it as is. However if they want me buying any paid DLC then they better get it fixed. The game wasn't in this state at launch so they've messed it up and if they ignore it then that's a pretty dick move.

Nillansan

Is it worth trying to get in touch with them using Twitter? Is it possible to use brute force to alleviate the stuttering or is it an issue that occurs regardless of how powerful your rig is?

Dries

Sadly, the people who are still expierencing issues are the "tech-enthusiasts" group and we're a pretty small vocal minority. 99% of all the GTA V PC players have probably never ever even noticed a single stutters across all patches.

Spaghetti

i've had weird performance with gtav recently. a few days ago i configured my graphics to basically a solid 60fps. since then i've had pretty random drops into the 30s that i can't really explain other than the fact i might be driving fast. i haven't changed the settings since i had a solid 60, so what gives?

Mr Swine

Banned
Hi guys, have a question. Since GTA V is on my Samsung SSD I have to have page file activated so the game doesn't run out of memory. I have 8GB ram and would 32GB ram make that problem go away? I really don't want any unnecessary writes to the SSD

I wouldn't deactivate the page file - ever.
Otherwise you're inevitably, even with a massive amount of RAM, going to run into those OOM errors.

LilJoka

Hi guys, have a question. Since GTA V is on my Samsung SSD I have to have page file activated so the game doesn't run out of memory. I have 8GB ram and would 32GB ram make that problem go away? I really don't want any unnecessary writes to the SSD

You shouldn't need to run more than 8gb, I upgraded to 16 from 8, there wasn't even any difference in ram usage or page file usage.

You don't need to worry about writes to the SSD, it's not 3 years ago.

No need to disable page file as above poster points out, can just cause problems.

Lastly, the memory leak was fixed some time ago.

finley83

Banned
So it's been almost 2 months since the last patch, beginning to give up hope of ever getting a fix for the stuttering. Really regret picking this up at full price now.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
So I keep hitting around 45 frames and even as low as 30. Rocking a GTX 970, i7 3700k, 8GB RAM, and W10. Is this caused by the new patch or W10?

Brand new GTX980ti

Fired up this game for the first time since upgrading to Windows 10.

Fresh install of both the game and the OS. Fully disabled overclocks.

Crashes immediately upon loading into gameplay. I'm fucking livid.

Most recent error was err_gfx_d3d_init but there have been several others. 0xc000012d being another example.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Brand new GTX980ti

Fired up this game for the first time since upgrading to Windows 10.

Fresh install of both the game and the OS. Fully disabled overclocks.

Crashes immediately upon loading into gameplay. I'm fucking livid.

Most recent error was err_gfx_d3d_init but there have been several others. 0xc000012d being another example.

Have you tried using DDU to completely uninstally graphics drivers, then reinstalling?

Kezen

Banned
So I keep hitting around 45 frames and even as low as 30. Rocking a GTX 970, i7 3700k, 8GB RAM, and W10. Is this caused by the new patch or W10?

What resolution are you playing at ? If the answer is 1440p then it's expected, if it's 1080p something is wrong on your end.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
What resolution are you playing at ? If the answer is 1440p then it's expected, if it's 1080p something is wrong on your end.

1080p bro. I'm checking my temps and their not hitting more than 60. Either it's just the upgrade from 7 to Windows 10, which I think I should've done a clean install OR I believe it's a fault on Rockstar's part. Some are still getting problems with the game from the latest patch. New update should be coming out on Tuesday, so fingers crossed, it resolves the issue!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm waiting until the new update coming on the 15th. If this stuttering isn't fixed then I'm done with this game. Getting real tired of Rockstar's shit.

Top Bottom