• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Kezen

Banned
1080p bro. I'm checking my temps and their not hitting more than 60. Either it's just the upgrade from 7 to Windows 10, which I think I should've done a clean install OR I believe it's a fault on Rockstar's part. Some are still getting problems with the game from the latest patch. New update should be coming out on Tuesday, so fingers crossed, it resolves the issue!

Well I'm sorry to say I can't relate to that. I upgraded to Windows 10, didn't do a clean install and GTA 5 actually runs a tiny bit better than it did on W8.1 with a combination of high/ultra settings with only one advanced setting engaged.

As suggested above you could try reinstalling your drivers.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
Well I'm sorry to say I can't relate to that. I upgraded to Windows 10, didn't do a clean install and GTA 5 actually runs a tiny bit better than it did on W8.1 with a combination of high/ultra settings with only one advanced setting engaged.

As suggested above you could try reinstalling your drivers.

I believe I have solved the problem! I just ran GTAV.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and now I'm hitting 60 fps everywhere on very high! (BTW, it's a Steam version of GTAV, so I couldn't run GTAV.exe but just changed it to run via Windows 7 compatibility). I believe I'm probably the unlucky one to get hit with performance hits in Windows 10, but hopefully Rockstar reaches out and fix the issues some are dealing with on Windows 10. Thanks anyways for giving me a fast reply!

Kezen

Banned
I believe I have solved the problem! I just ran GTAV.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and now I'm hitting 60 fps everywhere on very high! (BTW, it's a Steam version of GTAV, so I couldn't run GTAV.exe but just changed it to run via Windows 7 compatibility). I believe I'm probably the unlucky one to get hit with performance hits in Windows 10, but hopefully Rockstar reaches out and fix the issues some are dealing with on Windows 10. Thanks anyways for giving me a fast reply!

Glad it did the trick. That's pretty strange but again this is PC gaming and one's experience does not mean anyone will be as lucky or unlucky.

harz-marz

Is anyone else having an issue where the game crashes when switching characters during missions? I played all the way through the final level last night only for this to happen - so annoyed!

Hopefully this update will let me clear the game. I have had so many crashes during my time with it.

Valkrai

Yeah, in the PC fixes section it says "Fixed issues that could cause stuttering in the game".

They don't mention which causes of stuttering, but people are confirming that it's now pretty much perfect.

The stuttering is fixed now but performance is fucked for me with this update.

Kezen

Banned
Maybe this'll temporarily shut up the people who kept bitching about how Rockstar would leave the game broken. But I doubt that.

I remember when some people predicted this would be a catastrophe comparable to GTA 4.

Good times, it's by no means perfect (neither can it be) but it has run consistently very well ever since day one on my PC. Can't complain.

I remember when some people predicted this would be a catastrophe comparable to GTA 4.

Good times, it's by no means perfect (neither can it be) but it has run consistently very well ever since day one on my PC. Can't complain.

Funnily enough, I think we can kinda thank their shitty microtransaction-fuelled multiplayer for the continuous updates. That's their incentive to keep the player base relatively happy.

Valkrai

Can you elaborate? Haven't tested extensively myself, but it seems to be running just as it was before, now with barely any stutter.

From some testing I've done, game stutter isn't really there but stuttering in menu is something that's still happening for me. Even tried lowering settings that got rid of it until the second pause.

Edit: The low framerate was from a quick test to GTA Online directly from the main menu. While my second test didn't have that, both online attempts had in-game stuttering and no menu stuttering while SP had the opposite effect. Framerate is a bit lower than it was previously although it could possibly be some other factors that I haven't fully tried yet.

I just tested it out. I can't really tell you if it is performing as it was before because I made a major graphics card update since then. When I launched it, it was using around 4GB of VRAM, this is with almost everything maxed with their resolution scaling at 1.5. After running the benchmark, it was using all of my 6GB of VRAM and never returned to where it was prior to running the benchmark. However, there was no stuttering at all. I wonder if they are caching more in VRAM.

Mr Swine

Banned
Seems that the stuttering that I was getting is now more or less gone and the performance is really good also. But I've only played for 5 minutes now, going to be interesting to see if it's the same in 1 hour or so

just starting to actually play this. did one of the recent patches ruin nvidias pcss? the draw distance is now very short and the cascading quality levels are just awful. it only looks good at very close ranges.

edit - also, does anyone else just turn the AO off? its so bad and flickery it seems more like the shadows are glitching than AO. is there a flag for control panel hbao+?

Tomodachi

970 without OC, 3570k @ 4Ghz, SSD.

Just started the game, I've enabled MSAAx2 and TXAA, FXAA is off, high resolution shadows are also off. Everything else is maxed out I think. No DSR or frame scaling. I also enabed MFAA with nvidia inspector.

Performance is good although there are minor instances of frame drops, nothing too serious. There's a strange graphical glitch though, it's as though grass is properly rendered only in a range of 1 meter from the character. It's also noticeable on sand, much less on the asphalt. Any way I can prevent that? Shadows are really good although they tend to pop in and out very easily.
Oh also I noticed something weird while riding a cab, the ad on the top of the car was all blurry depending on the camera angle, an effect similar to the one with the grass I mentioned before.

Any help with settings and such would be welcome!

970 without OC, 3570k @ 4Ghz, SSD.

Just started the game, I've enabled MSAAx2 and TXAA, FXAA is off, high resolution shadows are also off. Everything else is maxed out I think. No DSR or frame scaling. I also enabed MFAA with nvidia inspector.

Performance is good although there are minor instances of frame drops, nothing too serious. There's a strange graphical glitch though, it's as though grass is properly rendered only in a range of 1 meter from the character. It's also noticeable on sand, much less on the asphalt. Any way I can prevent that? Shadows are really good although they tend to pop in and out very easily.
Oh also I noticed something weird while riding a cab, the ad on the top of the car was all blurry depending on the camera angle, an effect similar to the one with the grass I mentioned before.

Any help with settings and such would be welcome!

I can't answer any of the important ones, sorry, but the cab thing is just a side effect of the game's motion blur. When the camera is being held away from the default position, it triggers the blur. For some reason the ads on top of the car aren't treated like a part of the car, so they get blurred with the scenery.

SliChillax

5820k, 16 gb ram, 980 latest drivers and game updates at 1440p with gsync

Game is a stuttering mess when in the countryside. I'll see how it fares once my 980 ti comes.

Kezen

Banned
But I like that ultra grass :(

You don't run ultra grass at 1440p with a single 980. This setting is too much if you want 60fps.
I set mine at very high and it runs very well (on a 980) but at 1080p.

The shadows setting also carries a rather large performance pernalty, very high is too much for 60fps, had to settle down with high.

Looks great either way.

5820k, 16 gb ram, 980 latest drivers and game updates at 1440p with gsync

Game is a stuttering mess when in the countryside. I'll see how it fares once my 980 ti comes.

It's still not 60fps on a single 980ti even at 1080p (everything maxed except for ingame downsampling deactivated, msaa at 4x, reflection msaa off, ingame motion blur off, long shadows off, extended traffic/population density at somewhere around 75%).
I have not tested it but I think Ultra Grass kills framerate regardless of settings, could be wrong about that of course. It's still absolutely playable in the 50's (I assume, have not checked with fps counter but you can feel the framerate going up and down)

Caayn

It's still not 60fps on a single 980ti even at 1080p (everything maxed except for ingame downsampling deactivated, msaa at 4x, reflection msaa off, ingame motion blur off, long shadows off, extended traffic/population density at somewhere around 75%).
I have not tested it but I think Ultra Grass kills framerate regardless of settings, could be wrong about that of course. It's still absolutely playable in the 50's (I assume, have not checked with fps counter but you can feel the framerate going up and down)
Even with 2x 980ti, I can't get a perfect 60fps when I enable ultra grass and everything else on max running at 2560x1080 + 4xMSAA. The ultra grass setting is a serious performance killer.

SliChillax

Well I don't use 4x MSAA as I think it's too much especially for 1440p and I'm not aiming for 60fps, I just want to see the stuttering gone.

heringer

Even with 2x 980ti, I can't get a perfect 60fps when I enable ultra grass and everything else on max running at 2560x1080 + 4xMSAA. The ultra grass setting is a serious performance killer.

It's funny seeing posts like this now. Back when the game was released there were a LOT of people claiming to be running at 60 fps locked with 970's. Every performance thread makes me think there's something wrong with my rig.

Kezen

Banned
It's funny seeing posts like this now. Back when the game was released there were a LOT of people claiming to be running at 60 fps locked with 970's. Every performance thread makes me think there's something wrong with my rig.
The people claiming that might be using medium/high settings. Have you thought of that ?
Getting a locked 60fps is perhaps possible but not with maximum draw distances and grass.

Setsuna

They never left the city you can hit 100 sometimes in the city you go out to the forest and you will be lucky to hit 40

The Grass setting was identified pretty early as one of the main performance hogs. There is actually a decent visual upgrade from high to ultra but the cost is just too much.

heringer

The people claiming that might be using medium/high settings. Have you thought of that ?
Getting a locked 60fps is perhaps possible but not with maximum draw distances and grass.

Of couse I'm taking settings into account man. Just give a search for "locked 60" and you will see plenty of people with settings comparable to the posts I quoted, ultra grass being the sole exception. Sure, ultra grass is a big hog, but even lowering that it's still very hard to maintain 60 fps locked in this game with a 970 without seriously big compromises. Unless you use "60 fps locked" very, very loosely.

To be fair, there were also quite a few people claiming to have trouble to achieve 60 fps with a 970, so there's that at least.

Kezen

Banned
Of couse I'm taking settings into account man. Just give a search for "locked 60" and you will see plenty of people with settings comparable to the posts I quoted, ultra grass being the sole exception. Sure, ultra grass is a big hog, but it's still very hard to maintain 60 fps locked in this game with a 970 without seriously big compromises. Unless you take "60 fps locked" in a very, very loose sense.

To be fair, there were also quite a few people claiming to have trouble to achieve 60 fps with a 970, so there's that at least.

They might not have played that much, indoors are not demanding but areas with a lot of vegetation put a heavy stress on high-end GPUs.

I don't think you are in any position to imply they're lying. You simply don't have enough information to make that claim, for all we know it might have been true in some circumstances but drops below 60 will always be a thing in open-world games.
Nothing new.

heringer

They might not have played that much, indoors are not demanding but areas with a lot of vegetation put a heavy stress on high-end GPUs.

I don't think you are in any position to imply they're lying. You simply don't have enough information to make that claim, for all we know it might have been true in some circumstances but drops below 60 will always be a thing in open-world games.
Nothing new.

I'm not implying they are lying. I'm saying they are wrong, for whatever reason. If it's because they haven't played enough... well, doesn't change the fact they are wrong. Play the damn game enough before parroting "locked 60 fps".

Kezen

Banned
I'm not implying they are lying. I'm saying they are wrong, for whatever reason. If it's because they haven't played enough... well, doesn't change the fact they are wrong. Play the damn game enough before parroting "locked 60 fps".

We are on a video game board, those comments are unavoidable. How many times have we read that X or Y games runs at 60fps easily and it turned out this is not the case ?

I don't take every post I see literally.

For sure running GTA 5 at 60fps without drops is possible but you probably need a considerable amount of horsepower and lower settings.

My framerate drops below 60fps sometimes but it's rare enough I don't mind at all, 980/4770k. Shadows and grass toned down a notch.

heringer

We are on a video game board, those comments are unavoidable. How many times have we read that X or Y games runs at 60fps easily and it turned out this is not the case ?

I don't take every post I see literally.

For sure running GTA 5 at 60fps without drops is possible but you probably need a considerable amount of horsepower and lower settings.

My framerate drops below 60fps sometimes but it's rare enough I don't mind at all, 980/4770k. Shadows and grass toned down a notch.

I recently bought a new PC after years outside of PC gaming and GTAV was one of the first games I got, so I never followed topics like these and naively believed some comments. You are right though, it's the internet after all and people will be wrong. That doesn't excuse them, though.

Kezen

Banned
I recently bought a new PC after years outside of PC gaming and GTAV was one of the first games I got, so I never followed topics like these and naively believed some comments. You are right though, it's the internet after all and people will be wrong. That doesn't excuse them, though.

If you're new to PC gaming (or coming back after a long hiatus) you might want to temper your expectations regarding framerate. Sometimes, it can drop for API/driver reasons, which is why G-Sync/Freesync are attractive options because they reduce the impact of less-than-60 framerates, or at least they make it more bearable.

If you are a "60fps or nothing" gamer, PC gaming will probably disappoint you.

Top Bottom