• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Trailer (60 FPS)

Xyber

SO..whats the best way than? I am installing on an SSD (with double space will have 90GB free). That other half you regain after all said and done right?

For you just preload like normal to the SSD and yes it will delete the extra 60GB after it's done installing.

Branson

Anyone think someone will be able to take a peak at the files? I have a bad feeling about mods with the GTA Online part of the game being so near and dear to rockstars heart.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone think someone will be able to take a peak at the files? I have a bad feeling about mods with the GTA Online part of the game being so near and dear to rockstars heart.

Not until it has unlocked, unless there has been a massive oversight and the Social Club pre-load data isn't encrypted (Steam's is).

jimmypop

Banned
It's correct. The reason you need twice the space when pre-loading is that the data is encrypted and it's not deleted until after it has been unpacked.

Does this apply to downloading through the Social Club itself? I assume so, given that it's probably a fundamental restriction based on how the decryption is handled.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does this apply to downloading through the Social Club itself? I assume so, given that it's probably a fundamental restriction based on how the decryption is handled.

I couldn't tell you. My experience with Social Club is limited to activating my Steam-supplied Max Payne 3 key way back on launch day.

How is the game supposed to benefit from an SSD? There are no loading times

GTA 5 relies a lot on streaming and nothing is better for streaming than a fast SSD (OK so a Dedicated RAM DISK would be better). I remember when GTA 5 was being launched for the 360. The recommendation was that you installed the second disc to the hard drive and run the first disc from the DVD Drive. This was so the game could stream from two sources at once reducing pop in. So I think it is safe to say GTA 5 will benefit from being installed on an SSD

LCGeek

formerly sane
GTA 5 relies a lot on streaming and nothing is better for streaming than a fast SSD (OK so a Dedicated RAM DISK would be better). I remember when GTA 5 was being launched for the 360. The recommendation was that you installed the second disc to the hard drive and run the first disc from the DVD Drive. This was so the game could stream from two sources at once reducing pop in. So I think it is safe to say GTA 5 will benefit from being installed on an SSD

ramdisk like you mentioned is pretty good or a good flash drive. My problem with a ramdisk unlike the other two options you need a lot of ram and a game like this might stress that amount.

laxu

ramdisk like you mentioned is pretty good or a good flash drive. My problem with a ramdisk unlike the other two options you need a lot of ram and a game like this might stress that amount.

Well there is no point with RAMdisks unless you have 32 gigs or more. That said, I doubt you'd fit the game on a RAMdisk in any case. SSDs are fast enough, far cheaper per GB and less hassle.

Has it been confirmed whether GMG is passing out Steam keys or not?

The only way to get a steam key is to buy it from steam. All other dd sellers are selling Rockstar Social Club keys so you download the game from Rockstar.

I nearly didn't mention ramdisk but at the end of the day it is feasible these days with motherboards accepting 128gbs of RAM. So it is entirely possible for someone to run GTA 5 on the PC from a ramdisk and still have 64gbs of RAM spare .......... yeah that is just insane thinking about it.

abracadaver

But the 360 had a slow harddrive and tiny RAM. Are there streaming issues on PS4?

Dinjoralo

Well, I got my key. At least they made the installer look nice, Though it would have been funny as hell if the game used the old installshield wizard that takes up the entire screen.
So, how many days until people learn how to peep in the files?

LCGeek

formerly sane
I nearly didn't mention ramdisk but at the end of the day it is feasible these days with motherboards accepting 128gbs of RAM. So it is entirely possible for someone to run GTA 5 on the PC from a ramdisk and still have 64gbs of RAM spare .......... yeah that is just insane thinking about it.

its making me laugh knowing someone just might try or will try at some point.

laxu in no way do I think ramdisk is going to be viable for most just the option of doing it let alone having the ability scares me. No doubt about ram vs ssd prices ram for the amount need makes even ssd look cheap to me. I love ssd but until I see something in 1TB range with decent price below 300 I'm not bothering.

I got my social club key from GMG but my account is stuck in locked-out status for some reason. Hopefully it's just on a 20 minute lockout timer or something.

Sarcasm

Just realized the preload is useless for me since I don't want that many writes on my ssd when it unlocks nor do I want to deal with moving files.

Game should unlock at 1 am Wednesday my time so best to just download then since I can't play it til 8 pm.

Qassim

Has anyone seen this? It looks like it may support TXAA

http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftA..._the_launcher_game_will_unlock_at_600/cq4eicf

gxjOs41.png

Kezen

Banned
Is TXAA only for nvidia?

Kepler and Maxwell only.

But you don't miss much if you ask me, it's a very blurry and expensive AA solution but reduces artefacts in motion.

MSAA/TXAA will likely be extremely taxing in GTA 5 if Max Payne 3 is any indication, MSAA had a huge performance hit.

Qassim

Not sure, but I'd say it's highly likely considering Rockstar have specifically made a lot of mention about 60fps.

I think that may be just a marketing thing as the '60fps' thing has trended upwards again at the start of this generation.

Other than LA Noire I can't think of a recent Rockstar game that was capped fps wise. GTAIV wasn't. I'm fairly confident it won't be.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think that may be just a marketing thing as the '60fps' thing has trended upwards again at the start of this generation.

Other than LA Noire I can't think of a recent Rockstar game that was capped fps wise. GTAIV wasn't. I'm fairly confident it won't be.
Ah cool then. Good news(for others..........and future me!).

spuckthew

Is the 60GB+60GB thing only for Steam pre-loads, or direct via RGSC too?

Gonna have to complete The Evil Within ASAP if the latter because it's the only game I have installed that I'm even remotely near completion. I started the pre-load last night but didn't finish because my speeds tanked and I can't sleep with my PC idling in the background.

Is the 60GB+60GB thing only for Steam pre-loads, or direct via RGSC too?

Gonna have to complete The Evil Within ASAP if the latter because it's the only game I have installed that I'm even remotely near completion. I started the pre-load last night but didn't finish because my speeds tanked and I can't sleep with my PC idling in the background.

I bought the RSC version and it seems like it only needed the 60 GB but I honestly don't know the ins and outs of HDDs so if it's still using that other 60 GB in reserve somehow I have no idea

Top Bottom