• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Trailer (60 FPS)

cripterion

Of course we cant have it *all*, but I don't necessarily think there's any reason to suspect Rockstar are planning to snub the PC for their next project.

The RDR situation was complicated, apparently. We don't have a PC version for the same reason we probably wont ever see a next-gen remaster. Not every game ports easily and that studio was apparently brought through hell and back just for the 360/PS3 versions.

No, they haven't been treating the PC fanbase too well, because there hasn't been a huge business case for it. I think with the PC market on the up, there is a better one now, though. And the business case is not helped if they go throwing away tons of free copies.

You keep going on about multiplayer being broken on consoles or whatever and I know nothing about that. Frankly, you're the only person I've ever heard that from but I also haven't been keeping daily tabs on GTA V discussions for the past year and a half, either. I wouldn't expect them to go above and beyond what they've done for consoles, though. We'll be getting a port with a couple little graphical goodies, the film editor stuff and I would guess that's about it. And that's fine with me.

Then you'll be sorry with what you are getting if they keep the trash matchmaking system intact on pc.
I call it broken cause I spend more time watching loading times and waiting in lobbies than actually playing... that is if the damn thing even works. I don't know if it's because so many people try to play but from where I'm sitting it looks like there's barely anyone playing! Just yesterday I spent about 30 mns to get into some heist while I waited for a 4th member to join (on several occasions), the host finally deciding to leave the lobby, bringing another long ass load time as you're kicked back in multiplayer free roam.

Hell the game can't even save my brightness settings, prompting me to adjust them every time I start the game and forcing me into single player for whatever reason.
The little I play is plagued by lag and poor number of players which just makes it overall unfun.

As I said, I want it to do well, just highly skeptical they correct their ways on pc and you're right, giving the game away for free for triple dippers wouldn't solve any of that.
But understand where I'm coming from with me paying 60€ for this after already getting the game a second time thinking I was getting a better MP experience...

All in all I'll say, those that didn't play it are in for a treat as the single player is really good and even the old gen console with its technical problems didn't deter from the experience so no doubt having a good rig and playing this with high frames on high settings + the potiental mods would be crazy good which is, I imagine, what Take Two/Rockstar banked when they established these staggered releases.

I'll buy the game on pc if the multiplayer is up to par so I'll be waiting for you guys to report back :p

shiyrley

Banned
I can't understand how people are asking how the game will run on their systems. And it's even harder to understand how people are actually answering as if they knew. Nobody knows. :/

Malcolm9

Then you'll be sorry with what you are getting if they keep the trash matchmaking system intact on pc.
I call it broken cause I spend more time watching loading times and waiting in lobbies than actually playing... that is if the damn thing even works. I don't know if it's because so many people try to play but from where I'm sitting it looks like there's barely anyone playing! Just yesterday I spent about 30 mns to get into some heist while I waited for a 4th member to join (on several occasions), the host finally deciding to leave the lobby, bringing another long ass load time as you're kicked back in multiplayer free roam.

Hell the game can't even save my brightness settings, prompting me to adjust them every time I start the game and forcing me into single player for whatever reason.
The little I play is plagued by lag and poor number of players which just makes it overall unfun.

As I said, I want it to do well, just highly skeptical they correct their ways on pc and you're right, giving the game away for free for triple dippers wouldn't solve any of that.
But understand where I'm coming from with me paying 60€ for this after already getting the game a second time thinking I was getting a better MP experience...

All in all I'll say, those that didn't play it are in for a treat as the single player is really good and even the old gen console with its technical problems didn't deter from the experience so no doubt having a good rig and playing this with high frames on high settings + the potiental mods would be crazy good which is, I imagine, what Take Two/Rockstar banked when they established these staggered releases.

I'll buy the game on pc if the multiplayer is up to par so I'll be waiting for you guys to report back :p

What version did you play with the poor matchmaking?

cripterion

What version did you play with the poor matchmaking?

360 and PS4. It just takes extremely long to go back to freeroam mp sessions (sometimes failing to connect so kicks you back to sp) and it's just impossible to get a good game going filled with people.

It's not platform dependent from what I gather, I know I have no issues with my internet connection has every other online game plays fine (Open NAT), but always had issues with Rockstar games for some reason.

I know some don't experience these issues, but it makes for incredibly poor experience. I miss crazy GTA IV races and here most fun I had was with about 6 people.
Even if it worked they need to rethink their whole invite/matchmaking system, it's so archaic.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I talked to rockstar and they told me that if you have enough GBs on your harddrive the game will run 1080 60 Ps/s. Luckily I have an SSD so I'm gonna try and push to 120Ps/s

but what about the gbs in my cpu?
Har dee har har. Apparently, GMG are looking into getting keys. Not sure how they're going to do on that, though.

If Rockstar is dead set on only offering preloads for Steam and Rockstar Warehouse then no matter what any other third party site does it won't accomplish anything. I'm hoping that everyone who pre-ordered no matter where from gets to preload but it's all wait and see right now. I'm still hoping some performance reviews and stuff come out before next week but if I have to wait and see then it's ok. I wouldn't lose anything except extra money in-game.

Tainted

but what about the gbs in my cpu?
Har dee har har. Apparently, GMG are looking into getting keys. Not sure how they're going to do on that, though.

The keys they are getting are Rockstar Social Club keys....but noone definitively knows how these keys are redeemed yet (It's been asked a number of times in this thread with no answers)

I guess there is a possibility the key gives you access to download it from the Rockstar Warehouse

The keys they are getting are Rockstar Social Club keys....but noone definitively knows how these keys are redeemed yet (It's been asked a number of times in this thread with no answers)

I guess there is a possibility the key gives you access to download it from the Rockstar Warehouse

I assume the Social Club codes will have to be inputted on a new page that Rockstar puts up to download an installer. I also assume that the page will crash/slow down to a crawl once everyone tries to input the code at the same time.

Nzyme32

Fairly safe assumption. I'm guessing even accessing the game on the first day will not be possible, at the very least for several hours

Tainted

I assume the Social Club codes will have to be inputted on a new page that Rockstar puts up to download an installer. I also assume that the page will crash/slow down to a crawl once everyone tries to input the code at the same time.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The key gives you access to a unique link to download either the client from the warehouse or as you say, an installer of some kind which streams the install files from the Rocktar servers.

Seems like way too much of a hassle to me....i'll be getting the steam version when it drops in price. I'm in no hurry to triple dip this lol

MMaRsu

Banned
That's where you and I are not on the same page. I firmly believe Rockstar will release a RDR remaster for next-gen because there is just too much money to be made, but will PC be invited to the party ? That's uncertain.

Isnt the source code missing for rdr?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The go-to rumour is that R* had to butcher RAGE in order to get the game running on the PS360 and the code would need to be significantly reworked for a PC release, but I place exactly zero stock in that:

"Not viable" doesn't really mean anything when it lacks qualification. Many seem to flock to the butchered code rumour whenever RDR pops up, but it's always been incredibly dubious in my eyes since RAGE was developed specifically to facilitate "next-gen" PS360/PC development. The notion that R* had to throw the baby out with the bathwater and stitch together some sort of frankenstenien solution for RDR simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and even if it were true it doesn't mean a PC port "isn't viable", anyway -- GTA4 PC was, to begin with, little more than a dump of the X360 version, being completely unplayable on anything that less than a tri-core CPU (it's still a prime example of a sloppy PC port, but it's slightly better now than it was).

My take on what actually happened is thus:

I think, due to the rather modest success of the console-exclusive Revolver (920k LTD in the US, but that's across six years), a PC port wasn't planned at all initially and the immense success of the game caught Take-Two off-guard; with Redemption being followed by LA Noire (somewhat), Max Payne 3 and GTAV, there was no room to slot in a PC port amongst the work that the various R* studios were already doing, so it was put on the backburner.

The game sold tremendously well, PC gamers have been clamouring for a port for years, and belated PC ports of popular titles have proven to be a smart business move for other publishers (e.g. Alan Wake and Mortal Kombat 9). It's going to happen eventually.

Kezen

Banned
The rumour is that R* had to butcher RAGE in order to get it running on the PS360 and the code would need to be significantly reworked for a PC release, but I place exactly zero stock in that:

My take on what actually happened is thus:

Maybe they'll port the inevitable RDR remaster to PC. Maybe.

From what I remember it isn't a case that the source code is missing. The problem is much of it is "undocumented". I am no programmer but it is my understanding that normally programmers leave notes and what not saying what does what. Plus there would normally be extensive documentation about how things are done. It is those that were lost/not complete not the actual source code Without comments and source notes it would be difficult to port to the PC.

At this point I don't believe you will ever see RDR on the PC. That ship has long since sailed. There is a chance you might see the next RDR on the PC. In many ways it would make sense with the new consoles being x86 based and the PC gaining momentum again. I think it all depends on how well GTA 5 does on the PC.

But then this is Rockstar when it comes to the PC what they do never makes sense so trying to apply logic to them would be pointless. My own belief is that we will never see an RDR on the PC, they want it to be a console focused franchise and all the PC will ever get is stale scraps from the table such as 2 year old ports of GTA.

BibiMaghoo

From what I remember it isn't a case that the source code is missing. The problem is much of it is "undocumented". I am no programmer but it is my understanding that normally programmers leave notes and what not saying what does what. Plus there would normally be extensive documentation about how things are done. It is those that were lost/not complete not the actual source code Without comments and source notes it would be difficult to port to the PC.

While this is probably true, it would still be possible, just very time consuming to do. The engine itself is already well known and documented in house - as it's been used on multiple projects - so it would only be the game's specific code that would be a problem, and again much of that is presumably reused from other titles, like GTAIV. It's totally plausible that even with that issue, the work can still be done.

looks like GMG will have keys before release so people can preload...they are still trying to get all of the details ironed out though

"Everyone who has pre-purchased Grand Theft Auto V WILL receive their keys in time for pre-loading ahead of the game's release on April 14th.

As soon as we have specific info regarding timing around key delivery and instructions for redemption, we'll be announcing this across our social media channels, so stay tuned for more on this to come.

Thanks again to everyone for your understanding and patience. Not long to go now"

https://business.facebook.com/GreenManGaming/photos/a.427466227215.219930.292348822215/10153296788742216/?type=1&theater

How they advertised(sigh) 60fps in my language is actually insulting.
"Watch the trailer with frame frequency of 60 seconds here!"
which I take to mean there's one frame for every 60 seconds.

It's like they literally only care about the buzzword value of any given thing.

Seanspeed

Banned

It's just a translation issue man.

LilJoka

looks like GMG will have keys before release so people can preload...they are still trying to get all of the details ironed out though

"Everyone who has pre-purchased Grand Theft Auto V WILL receive their keys in time for pre-loading ahead of the game's release on April 14th.

As soon as we have specific info regarding timing around key delivery and instructions for redemption, we'll be announcing this across our social media channels, so stay tuned for more on this to come.

Thanks again to everyone for your understanding and patience. Not long to go now"

https://business.facebook.com/GreenManGaming/photos/a.427466227215.219930.292348822215/10153296788742216/?type=1&theater

Fair enough, but why did it take doubting customers to highlight this. This should have been sorted ages ago.

I've ordered from them and I'm hoping before release doesn't mean something silly.

BibiMaghoo

Was that on Facebook by any chance?

JaseC

Users are reporting that Pre-load has started on the Rockstar Social Club. The download size is 60.04gbs

Here's an image (courtesy of someone at Reddit via madjoki):

0HxMpz9.png

Looks like Social Club is acting as the installer after all.

lol wut!

Wait..dont' you play minecraft?

Ah I was browsing the net and saw it mentioned, so thought I would mention it here. Yes I do play minecraft that's all I do on my i5 and GTX 670 I do nothing but play Minecraft ;-) .

But nah I aint getting GTA 5 after the complete screw job that was GTA 4 and Rockstars continual contempt towards the PC platform I don't feel that "inclined" to give them my money. Like I said I saw the info and thought I would post it here for those interested.

On another note at 60.04gbs that has to be like 7 DVD's which I believe is the number a retailer reported.

Ark

lol wut!

Wait..dont' you play minecraft?

Charlie is Minecraft :D

I said I wouldn't preorder this, but given the size of the download and that I have next week off work, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying it anyway, so I figure I should just preorder and preload it this week.

Even if it is £40 on Steam. I paid £35 for it on PS3 on release day ffs.

Charlie is Minecraft :D

I said I wouldn't preorder this, but given the size of the download and that I have next week off work, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying it anyway, so I figure I should just preorder and preload it this week.

I am so building a dome over your castle and a huge Dick butt monument outside the door of your castle on Neocraft if you do ;-)

That's where you and I are not on the same page. I firmly believe Rockstar will release a RDR remaster for next-gen because there is just too much money to be made, but will PC be invited to the party ? That's uncertain.

I don't think that RDR will be remastered partially because the gameplay doesn't hold up as well as everybody remembers. I replayed it shortly before GTAV came out (Summer 2013), and was taken aback at how lousy 90% of the missions were and how forced so much of the story was. The world is still incredible, many of the characters are interesting, but the mission structure is notably bad, maybe even worse than GTAIV.

The game does really look great though. So many "stop and admire" moments in that game.

Lol I'm gonna try running this game on my Intel G3220 with a Radeon 7770. Going to do some research on which new graphics card to buy after the game is out to see what will give me 60FPS on it.

Denton

I have a dumb question:

How do I actually start social club ?
I have it installed since Max Payne 3, but when in the installation folder there is only one exe file "renderer" and that cannot be executed outside the game.

Or do I have to install some other social club ?

JaseC

So who's doing the PC performance thread?

I'll make it if I'm not beaten to the punch. If it has a worldwide release date on digital services then it'll unlock here (AU) first.

I have a dumb question:

How do I actually start social club ?
I have it installed since Max Payne 3, but when in the installation folder there is only one exe file "renderer" and that cannot be executed outside the game.

Or do I have to install some other social club ?

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/activate, maybe. Outside of Max Payne 3 on Steam I have zero experience with SC.

Top Bottom