• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4: 1080@30, Core i3/750Ti: 1080@60. How is this possible?

Kezen

Banned
LOL, I wonder if the last gen versions ran all settings on normal or most below that. I'm thinking it's the latter.

No idea but that would not surprise me if even the lowest settings were better than what PS3/360 used indeed.
It's far from unprecedented, Battlefield 3 was low settings on consoles, Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light as well.
graphics-options.jpg

No idea but that would not surprise me if even the lowest settings were better than what PS3/360 used indeed.
It's far from unprecedented, Battlefield 3 was low settings on consoles, Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light as well.
graphics-options.jpg

Crysis 3 was actually much higher settings than consoles even on low. But that is neither here nor there.

Javin98

Banned
graphics-options.jpg
Wasn't the lowest setting on PC in Crysis 3 still significantly better than the last gen versions?

My expectations is that consoles use a mix of high and very high settings.
I still expect a 750ti paired with a decent I5 to match consoles though.

As far as I'm concerned GTA 5 on PC is the absolute best version of the game I've played (PS3-PS4-PC). Flawless would be putting it lightly.
Hardware permitting it definitely has effects not present on consoles : PCSS, better draw distance, better LOD and probably other things.

Why do you say decent i5 to match consoles when the very graph you posted shows all you need is an Athlon for 30fps. The consoles don't run this game 60fps.

Javin98

Banned
Why do you say decent i5 to match consoles when the very graph you posted shows all you need is an Athlon for 30fps. The consoles don't run this game 60fps.
Keep in mind that the PS4 version runs at a rock solid 30FPS now. The average frame rate should be at least 40FPS for that. The XB1 version dips frequently in heavy fire fights though, but this is likely a GPU bottleneck.

Keep in mind that the PS4 version runs at a rock solid 30FPS now. The average frame rate should be at least 40FPS for that. The XB1 version dips frequently in heavy fire fights though, but this is likely a GPU bottleneck.

Then that takes us to 40fps which, according to the graph, is AMD i3 territory. Decent i5 is needed for 60fps, not to match consoles.

I have no idea what this is referring to or what you mean. Thx for this incredible post in a GTA V thread.
I'm referring to the OP's observation/the thread title.

Why doesn't the PS4 manage GTAV @60fps? Why doesn't the PC manage visuals on par with Driveclub @60fps/higher IQ?

Why is it perfectly acceptable to be critical of next-gen consoles, but being critical of high-end PC visuals has become completely unacceptable? It's odd.

Tenebrous

Why doesn't the PS4 manage GTAV @60fps? Why doesn't the PC manage visuals on par with Driveclub @60fps/higher IQ?

Why is it perfectly acceptable to be critical of next-gen consoles, but being critical of high-end PC visuals has become completely unacceptable? It's odd.

The PC manages visuals like that, but developers seldom make games of that visual quality - Ryse on PC outdoes Driveclub for technology. Project Cars on PC Ultra pushes upwards of 300k polygons per car (Driveclub averages 250k).

Nevertheless it is the truth.

No it ISN'T the truth, you are just ignoring other factors because you want it to be the truth In my opinion the test done on the i3 + 750ti underestimated the graphical settings to bring it up to the equivalent of the PS4. The PS4 version is probably a mix of High to Very High settings.

Looking through the article I noted the i3 + 750ti had "Long Shadows" turned off, why ? I am 90% sure the PS4 version has long shadows (those are shadows cast by Mount Chiliad and other large objects in the game). That is just one discrepancy, how many others are there ? Unless we KNOW what the actual console equivalent settings are it is a bit ridiculous to go "herp derp i3 + 750ti totally owns da PS4 bro" rubbish.

Why? In terms of specs, you'd expect it to be the winner. The 750Ti is a great little card.

I am not bad mouthing the 750ti, I am sure it is a good little card. It isn't one I would personally go for myself in this day and age but there is nothing wrong with the card. However I do not believe an i3 + 750ti can quite match the performance of a PS4, but that doesn't mean I think it is a "bad card".

I am no fan of consoles, can't stand the things personally. If I felt that this i3 + 750ti was beating the snot out of the PS4 I would be doing a little dance and a jig over it. However from what I have seen I have come to the conclusion that the i3 + 750ti was using settings BELOW the PS4 equivalents.

UnrealEck

Then that takes us to 40fps which, according to the graph, is AMD i3 territory. Decent i5 is needed for 60fps, not to match consoles.

Assumptions and 'should be's' aren't fact. Especially when the game can be seen dropping below 30 in the patch 1.09 video.
We would need a larger range of testing scenarios to say reasonably what the average framerate might be.
You can't go from 'I think the uncapped performance is this' to 'so let's just use this to compare'.

jmga

I did not know Driveclub was on PC to judge if a PC can manage it.

Javin98

Banned
No it ISN'T the truth, you are just ignoring other factors because you want it to be the truth In my opinion the test done on the i3 + 750ti underestimated the graphical settings to bring it up to the equivalent of the PS4. The PS4 version is probably a mix of High to Very High settings.

Looking through the article I noted the i3 + 750ti had "Long Shadows" turned off, why ? I am 90% sure the PS4 version has long shadows (those are shadows cast by Mount Chiliad and other large objects in the game). That is just one discrepancy, how many others are there ? Unless we KNOW what the actual console equivalent settings are it is a bit ridiculous to go "herp derp i3 + 750ti totally owns da PS4 bro" rubbish.
Yeah, you're right. The PS4 version is a mix of high and very high as confirmed by NXGamer. Did you by any chance see the last page? I linked NXGamer's tech analysis earlier today. Watch it if you're interested.

I just find it very difficult to accept the premise that an i3 + 750ti can match the visuals of the PS4.
Performance is not a matter of personal opinion. Of course, there are other (very valid) considerations when deciding which version to buy, but that has nothing to do with performance.

As for an i3 + 750ti matching the visuals of the PS4 version, I don't see why that is surprising. The GPU on the PS4 is a little faster, but the 750ti is a good performer and the game is CPU bound. Consoles have some real advantages when it comes to CPU efficiency (at least for now), but 6 jaguar cores alone can act as a bottleneck depending on the game. The PS4 is still the cheaper alternative so it all makes sense.

thelastword

Banned
I just find it very difficult to accept the premise that an i3 + 750ti can match the visuals of the PS4. Yes I know the cpu in the PS4 is a piece of crap but the GPU is pretty solid (or was for when it was released). That's what makes me think something else is at work here but hey go at me and call me "salty" because you know I betrayed the "PC code" or something.
I don't think it's really matching it right now. It certainly did not on Dying light, an open world game. If the devs lock the framerate on the PS4 we can never really know how good the PS4 version fares, so in cases like Alien Isolation and some bad ports like Xenoverse these references will never be a good indicator or valid ones, in comparison to the PS4's performance in an unlocked situation.

jmga

I don't think it's really matching it right now. It certainly did not on Dying light, an open world game. If the devs lock the framerate on the PS4 we can never really know how good the PS4 version fares, so in cases like Alien Isolation and some bad ports like Xenoverse these references will never be a good indicator or valid ones, in comparison to the PS4's performance in an unlocked situation.

How can you say that?

psn

That has nothing to do with the topic.
I know. Im pretty sure it could look better on better hardware. Thats how it works.

Its just a reason why I love the ps4, because many devs actually push the hardware instead of recycling the engines 20 times.
And with recycling I mean they are doing subtile or small changes.

Performance is not a matter of personal opinion. Of course, there are other (very valid) considerations when deciding which version to buy, but that has nothing to do with performance.

As for an i3 + 750ti matching the visuals of the PS4 version, I don't see why that is surprising. The GPU on the PS4 is a little faster, but the 750ti is a good performer and the game is CPU bound. Consoles have some real advantages when it comes to CPU efficiency (at least for now), but 6 jaguar cores alone can act as a bottleneck depending on the game. The PS4 is still the cheaper alternative so it all makes sense.

Traditionally you have always had to have better PC hardware than the console to get the same visuals. There are many reasons for this, such as lower API overheads and inefficiencies in the PC platform (the PC gets there by brute force not finesse). Now this generation the gap has significantly narrowed but you still need to have BETTER hardware than the consoles to get the same visuals.

Now by your own admission the GPU in the PS4 is a little faster than the 750ti. So going by what we know historically with regards to the consoles why is it all of a sudden the 750ti which is slightly weaker than the PS4 matching the visuals of the PS4 ? Yes I know the cpu in the PS4 is a piece of crap I wouldn't even put it in my toaster but I don't believe it is as big a bottle neck as some are making it out to be. On a PC the cpu would be arse but on a dedicated console devoid of all the inefficiencies and quirks of the PC platform it is pretty capable.

I have already stated that there is a clear discrepancy in the settings with the i3 +750ti test. They turned Long Shadows OFF but the PS4 version has Long Shadows turned on. So bang right there the i3 + 750ti is NOT matching the PS4's visuals. Now you have to ask yourself if they got that setting wrong how many other settings are wrong ?

Until we know more about the console equivalent settings it really comes down to either you believe the i3 + 750ti beats the PS4 despite everything that has been historically shown with regards to PC vs Console hardware or the testers underestimated the settings. I believe the more likely explanation is that the testers `underestimated the settings.

Yeah, you're right. The PS4 version is a mix of high and very high as confirmed by NXGamer. Did you by any chance see the last page? I linked NXGamer's tech analysis earlier today. Watch it if you're interested.

Yeah watched it last night and I believe that was a more "representative test" of what is really going on, but hey that doesn't get the clicks does it. Nope the clicks are in the "he he he a low end PC totally owns da PS4 bro".

No it ISN'T the truth, you are just ignoring other factors because you want it to be the truth.

Sorry, no. There have been multiple instances where that specific hardware combo has at worst matched and at best completely outclassed the PS4. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is an undeniable fact.

jmga

I know. Im pretty sure it could look better on better hardware. Thats how it works.

Its just a reason why I love the ps4, because many devs actually push the hardware instead of recycling the engines 20 times.
And with recycling I mean they are doing subtile or small changes.

Same as always on consoles. First parties are first ones to push hardware limits, third parties stay a year or two behind.

I just find it very difficult to accept the premise that an i3 + 750ti can match the visuals of the PS4. Yes I know the cpu in the PS4 is a piece of crap but the GPU is pretty solid (or was for when it was released). That's what makes me think something else is at work here but hey go at me and call me "salty" because you know I betrayed the "PC code" or something.
It isn't hard to stomach when you learn that PC on Normal looks even worse than PS3 version (dated hardware) in certain aspects :p

Here is a comparison.

PC Normal vs PS3

Javin98

Banned
Yeah watched it last night and I believe that was a more "representative test" of what is really going on, but hey that doesn't get the clicks does it. Nope the clicks are in the "he he he a low end PC totally owns da PS4 bro".
It's the reason why DF likes making controversial statements and clickbait articles that will generate clicks every now and then. It's pretty depressing.

It isn't hard to stomach when you learn that PC on Normal looks even worse than PS3 version (dated hardware) in certain aspects :p

Here is a comparison.

PC Normal vs PS3
Oh, damn. The PS3 version actually looks better than the PC version at the absolute lowest settings? I thought it would be the other way around.

Ivan

Sorry, no. There have been multiple instances where that specific hardware combo has at worst matched and at best completely outclassed the PS4. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is an undeniable fact.

At the moment it might be true for some titles, and not so much for others. GTA 5 is a very specific example of last gen game that wasn't optimized for ps4's cpu at all. And ps4's cpu needs that optimization, because heavy multithreading is a must. Rockstar could have done it with ease , they just needed time and dedication. They basically didn't want to do it. On pc, they didn't have to.

Let's see how will SW Battlefront look on i3 and 750 for example...Or some other newer games as generation goes by.

i3 plus 750Ti has no chance of lasting even half of the generation and all these results today are for cross gen games mostly.

In a few years noone will even talk about that combination of hardware, it will be completely normal to think of it as something outdated and you would sound crazy to expect modern games to run fine on it. That will happen in a year or two at most.

PS4 will still run all those modern games in coming years and 1st party games will look even better.

Swarna

What do you base this on? DF reported it was a match.

On as close to console-level settings as we can get, a Core i3 PC with a GTX 750 Ti managed a console-like 30fps at 1080p.

This makes no sense in this situation.

It makes sense, even though we have very powerful GPUs in PC but still they are not doing anything with that advantages like Consoles do. Order 1886 and DC is what the next gen graphics are capable of but still we can only find those games playable in consoles but not in PC except some tech demos.

On topic: May be unlocked PS4 have FPS around 40+ and might be CPU limited game due to its port from last gen where CPU's are very powerful especially in PS3.

jmga

It makes sense, even though we have very powerful GPUs in PC but still they are not doing anything with that advantages like Consoles do. Order 1886 and DC is what the next gen graphics are capable of but still we can only find those games playable in consoles but not in PC except some tech demos.

Still has nothing to do with the topic.

The topic is how a certain game(or several) is able to run the same or better in a PC with a lower GPU than PS4, when optimization is lower and more difficult on PC.

Denton

At the moment it might be true for some titles, and not so much for others. GTA 5 is a very specific example of last gen game that wasn't optimized for ps4's cpu at all. And ps4's cpu needs that optimization, because heavy multithreading is a must. Rockstar could have done it with ease , they just needed time and dedication. They basically didn't want to do it. On pc, they didn't have to.

Let's see how will SW Battlefront look on i3 and 750 for example...Or some other newer games as generation goes by.

i3 plus 750Ti has no chance of lasting even half of the generation and all these results today are for cross gen games mostly.

In a few years noone will even talk about that combination of hardware, it will be completely normal to think of it as something outdated and you would sound crazy to expect modern games to run fine on it. That will happen in a year or two at most.

PS4 will still run all those modern games in coming years and 1st party games will look even better.

Haha, can't wait for SW Battlefront now.

Swarna

At the moment it might be true for some titles, and not so much for others.

"Some" games are actually the bulk of multi-platform games anyone's bothered to look at. I haven't actually come across any titles where the PS4 version definitely has higher performance than this kind of hardware. Feel free to name one. I'm sure there may be a few since the GPU in the PS4 is better than a 750 TI, but the usual case is that the I3+750 TI is on-par at worst, or slightly better.

Edit: There is literally no point to looking at ultra/high benchmarks @ 1080p if you're comparing to a PS4.

szaromir

Banned

Even now no one is taking i3/750 seriously, because if you're gaming on PC you typically want your experience to be very comfortable and have a guaranteed 60fps and not perhaps 60fps. That said, if it's outperforming consoles now it's going to do so for the remainder of the generation, the same way GF8800 outperforms PS360 when running 2014 games.

And yes, PS4 will keep running modern games, but at the expense of framerate and image quality, if the last generation taught us anything.

Ivan

Ok, ok..

It's was just an example,. nothing more. . I know how PS4 version runs, certainly not on 1080p on Ultra.

Just saying there are more games to analyze and GTA V is not a complete picture even now, not to mention later.

I wonder why it's always the next few titles that will definitely prove the console's performance superiority and never the titles that are already out. At first it was because of launch titles, then because of cross gen titles, then because of unoptimized ports, meanwhile every single game released thus far has proved the opposite.

Top Bottom