• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

Sethos

Banned
@ Sethos,

Aha, you got it working for me. I had Evga Precision X working, and as soon as I turned it off it worked. With a slight issue though, there is a fps drop every 5-7 seconds. Like a hiccup, and is super distracting. Sigh.

So I tried the other file you provided me with, to see if anything would change. The hiccup goes, but the framerate drops around 5-8 frames? Lol weird right. So yeah, between a rock and a massive fat bolder it seems.

And like a couple others, the dynamic dof is too much for me. :(

Thanks.

You wouldn't happen to have an AMD card?

And I know the DoF is extreme for some.

Sethos

Banned
I have an Nvidia card. :)

Okay, I know some AMD cards combined with certain driver versions are huge problem childs when it comes to ENB, especially CF. However hiccups and stutter can be caused be a few things, do a google and you'll find plenty of threads and guides on it for GTA IV - That's my only suggestion :/

I was looking at your config Sethos to see if I could pick up some stuff for mine. Is that SMAA.fx file the one you're using at the moment?

I tried out some car mods today, but they just turned the game into a mess. I think I need more vram for stuff like that. Sticking to what I know from now on.

ice2012_7_24_4_58_506pkt4.png

Sethos

Banned
I was looking at your config Sethos to see if I could pick up some stuff for mine. Is that SMAA.fx file the one you're using at the moment?

Yes it is. However it isn't even that one that comes with 2.1, it's the one from the injector. Doubt they are much different but I just tried a few things to get SMAA properly working like 2.0n without much luck.

Senaxx

Banned
Okay, I know some AMD cards combined with certain driver versions are huge problem childs when it comes to ENB, especially CF. However hiccups and stutter can be caused be a few things, do a google and you'll find plenty of threads and guides on it for GTA IV - That's my only suggestion :/

Maybe that's the problem i'm having. I have a ATI CrossFire 6950 2GB (Dirt 3 edition) setup with Ati 12.7 beta driver and run GTA IV with your configs. And I can't say i'm pleased with the performance. (just like normal GTA IV), although with your config the game doesn't have the stutter anymore only the huge amount of DoF (I think that is also a performance killer?)

Sethos

Banned
Maybe that's the problem i'm having. I have a ATI CrossFire 6950 2GB (Dirt 3 edition) setup with Ati 12.7 beta driver and run GTA IV with your configs. And I can't say i'm pleased with the performance. (just like normal GTA IV), although with your config the game doesn't have the stutter anymore only the huge amount of DoF (I think that is also a performance killer?)

Yeah I had a 5970 some time ago when trying this, was horrible. Stutterville in every way, upgraded to a 580 and it was smooth as butter. Now I'm on an SLI 680.

But yeah, DoF will take a chunk out of the performance. I am however using normal quality DoF, which leaves a smaller footprint compared to the HQ DoF that eats GPUs for breakfast.

Senaxx

Banned
Yeah I had a 5970 some time ago when trying this, was horrible. Stutterville in every way, upgraded to a 580 and it was smooth as butter. Now I'm on an SLI 680.

But yeah, DoF will take a chunk out of the performance. I am however using normal quality DoF, which leaves a smaller footprint compared to the HQ DoF that eats GPUs for breakfast.

So it's time to sell my CF 6950, and get some good Nvidia's back for it... although a SLI 680 is a bit to expensive i think a SLI 670GTX will do. Or i just go with a single GTX 680 and buy a 2nd card later on.

Hey, sorry for my late reply. I managed to figure out what was causing the fps drop every so often. I put CyclicConfigReading to true, and it didn't like that. Weirdly though, I've done it before with Icehancer and had no problem, but whatever, the main thing is that it's working now.

Thanks for your help Sethos.

Edit: Scratch that, the game has stopped responding completely now. No changes since last night. Tried everything, from removing it all to using the other file you made for me. Still nothing. Great. :/

Mr_Elysia

Hey Sethos, just a question from someone unable to post on GAF. They want to know how to turn off Dynamic DOF. They thank you very kindly for your response, or anyone else that can answer.

Edit: "Do not download this if you dislike the dynamic DoF that's based on what you are looking at." But I can see why you might be hesitant to provide a solution.

Yes it is. However it isn't even that one that comes with 2.1, it's the one from the injector. Doubt they are much different but I just tried a few things to get SMAA properly working like 2.0n without much luck.

I noticed you didn't change the line that reads something like:

#define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / 1280.0, 1.0 / 720.0)

Aren't the bolded values supposed to match the resolution?

Karak

Is 1.25 already using SMAA? I see the file in there but I also see FXaa or whatever the hell the ugly AA version is. Both files are in the main file directory of the game. I would like to get JUST SMAA running.

Sethos

Banned
I noticed you didn't change the line that reads something like:

#define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / 1280.0, 1.0 / 720.0)

Aren't the bolded values supposed to match the resolution?

Not supposed to. Changing to your native resolution changes squad, visually. Also the reason why most SMAA included files run default. You can change it if you like.

Is 1.25 already using SMAA? I see the file in there but I also see FXaa or whatever the hell the ugly AA version is. Both files are in the main file directory of the game. I would like to get JUST SMAA running.

Not sure if 1.25 is. It's using whatever .dll is defined within the top of the iceconfig.ini, both are included as choice - Some like to use the FXAA injector and then start messing around with FXAA injector sharpening, color correction etc.

Dibbz

Sometimes I get this weird drunk bug that sways the camera and automatically accelerates any car I get into.

Is there any way to stop this? Even though it can be pretty fun lol

ibyUt0Lk77hXyW.gif

DTKT

Sometimes I get this weird drunk bug that sways the camera and automatically accelerates any car I get into.

Is there any way to stop this? Even though it can be pretty fun lol

ibyUt0Lk77hXyW.gif

That's the anti-cheat. Do you have a legit version?

Karak

Not sure if 1.25 is. It's using whatever .dll is defined within the top of the iceconfig.ini, both are included as choice - Some like to use the FXAA injector and then start messing around with FXAA injector sharpening, color correction etc.

Weird my 1.25 was pointing to a directx9_.dll which doesn't exist. Pointed it SMAA.dll and it seems to be working fine. Not sure what is going on.

Sethos

Banned
Weird my 1.25 was pointing to a directx9_.dll which doesn't exist. Pointed it SMAA.dll and it seems to be working fine. Not sure what is going on.

Because it's of no relevance. That part just points to proxy .DLLs that can be loaded alongside.

PowerK

Overall, iCEnhancer is overrated, IMO.

The only version I like from iCEnhancer is 1.25 (with userays off) Downside of 1.25 is that it lacks colors & it's all washed up (many people think it has realistic look.)

L3EVO and Dpeasant3 are probably the best enb tweakers. All of their releases are good and consistent.

Those of you who like iCEhancer 1.25 should try KBL1974's L3EVO+ Modified ENB Settings

KBL1974 combined the best of E3EVO and iCEnhancer(1.25). From what I've seen, this is the most well balanced enb settings.

Sethos

Banned
Overall, iCEnhancer is overrated, IMO.

The only version I like from iCEnhancer is 1.25 (with userays off) Downside of 1.25 is that it lacks colors & it's all washed up (many people think it has realistic look.)

E3EVO and Dpeasant3 are probably the best enb tweakers. All of their releases are good and consistent.

Those of you who like iCEhancer 1.25 should try KBL1974's L3EVO+ Modified ENB Settings

KBL1974 combined the best of E3EVO and iCEnhancer(1.25). From what I've seen, this is the most well balanced enb settings.

I'd have to disagree. They always tend to crush the hell out of the blacks, wash out the image completely or grey tone the shit out of the image, sometimes it just all looks weirdly distorted, like color sharpening artifacts - It looks terrible, there's no 'realistic' look whatsoever.

Ice did a wonderful job at actually recreating some more believable scenes and settings, especially his work on the timecycles but he just lost it a bit with his last releases.

Only problem with iCE releases is the guy himself, a sensitive narcissistic dickwad.

I tried version 1.35 but to my surprise I get a lower fps with it than 2.1. Is it because I use the high end depth of field? It looks really good at night.

@catabarez: you'll do fine lol don't worry. I'm playing at max resolution on my 6870.

PowerK

I'd have to disagree. They always tend to crush the hell out of the blacks, wash out the image completely or grey tone the shit out of the image, sometimes it just all looks weirdly distorted, like color sharpening artifacts - It looks terrible, there's no 'realistic' look whatsoever.

Ice did a wonderful job at actually recreating some more believable scenes and settings, especially his work on the timecycles but he just lost it a bit with his last releases.

Only problem with iCE releases is the guy himself, a sensitive narcissistic dickwad.
Crush blacks? I'm not sure what you mean but on my U3011 calibrated with Spyder 3 Pro @ (sRGB) + GTX 690 Quad-SLI, black levels and details are fine with those enbs.

Sethos

Banned
Crush blacks? I'm not sure what you mean but on my U3011 calibrated with Spyder 3 Pro @ (sRGB) + GTX 690 Quad-SLI, black levels and details are fine with those enbs.

I also have a calibrated U3011 and while I wasn't speaking of the one linked, the guys you just mentioned had a habit of slightly crushed blacks. Dpeasant makes very few releases and he had a "Beta" out for the longest time that he claimed was heavy WIP, it looked like shit.

E3EVO is consistent in the fact his releases are very dark and grey toned from what I've seen, a very drab look. I'd say if anything these people are highly inconsistent in their cycles and overall quality.

A lot of ENB developers have little understanding in smooth colors and natural lighting, they just go for the post processed cinema look with varying degrees of success. I encourage people to go try all these releases, they really should make up their own minds. But no need to put Ice's otherwise great releases in a negative contrast, especially compared to some of the crap releases the guys mention do.

By the way, what does your GPU setup have of relevancy in this debate?

Sethos

Banned
GPU is connected to monitor producing graphics?

Yeah, because I'm sure the colour reproduction of your magic quad setup is better than every other card out there - Give me a break. Sounded more like an opportunity to ( Yet again ) mention you have a quad SLI setup.

PowerK

Yeah, because I'm sure the colour reproduction of your magic quad setup is better than every other card out there - Give me a break. Sounded more like an opportunity to ( Yet again ) mention you have a quad SLI setup.
Hehe.. I'm not sure what you mean but I find it funny you see it that way.
I was just mentioning my GPU with my monitor which both are responsible for producing 3D (by 3D I'm not talking about stereosopic). If my GPU was, for example, GTX 550, I would still say "black levels and details are fine with my U3011 and GTX 550". This is because AMD/ATi and nVIDIA can produces different pictures when it comes to games (And this is often beyond what can be controlled by monitor calibration.) Heck, there are often differences in picture quality between driver sets.

Sethos

Banned
Hehe.. I'm not sure what you mean but I find it funny you see it that way.
I was just mentioning my GPU with my monitor which both are responsible for producing 3D (by 3D I'm not talking about stereosopic). If my GPU was, for example, GTX 550, I would still say "black levels and details are fine with my U3011 and GTX 550". This is because AMD/ATi and nVIDIA can produces different pictures when it comes to games (And this is often beyond what can be controlled by monitor calibration.) Heck, there are often differences in picture quality between driver sets.

ibd5b3VFR45V5Y.png

Sethos

Banned
So, aren't we getting to the point where this requires a fresh thread with an actual fleshed out OP with downgrade guides, explanations and all that jazz? Looking through this thread, it's basically just people asking the same thing over and over again because there's no real guides in the OP except my outdated one.

Beads

So, aren't we getting to the point where this requires a fresh thread with an actual fleshed out OP with downgrade guides, explanations and all that jazz? Looking through this thread, it's basically just people asking the same thing over and over again because there's no real guides in the OP except my outdated one.

I agree, a clear guide for Steam users would be nice. Or an installer that downgrades automatically, even.

I used your guide (thanks by the way) and I'm a complete idiot, so it should be ok!

Karak

Whomever does a new OP. We should identify QUICKLY the difference between 1.04 and the later patches:) with some sample shots. For various reasons many are stuck with the patchedversion MP and so forth, so it makes sense to at the very least offer both. That and "hey its not running" seem to be the two major things.

Also I personally would like some tweaks for speed posted. Many times people get up and running and then can't play due to single digit FPS. Clarification concerning SMAA and FXAA and how to remove FXAA easily would also be good.

ATI warning as well:)

I think a new OP is in order also because though icehancer is over many of the posters here have good setups and advice that will indeed get lost in the shuffle.

Anyway its been a real good experience. Now I just need to fucking remove fxaa and get smaa running in 1.25 without screwing up what I consider to be fucking amazing looking GFX.

OR to make it easier you could contact Darklord maybe with new info? That would be nice as well and may get some people to read through a bit. Either or but I also agree.

@BEADS there is almost no reason for an automatic downgrade. All you do anyway is get the patch archive and copy it over. Its faster than clicking an exe, finding the patch, clicking through warnings and then clicking ok.

Karak

^What does FXAA? Is it standard in every icenhancer version?

I am not sure I don't think it is standard in all. It is just another version of AA. And I personally hate it. Not only for its look but sometimes if I am getting low FPS I want to turn it off. Even a 4-5fps game can be helpful in some games though it is super cheap as AA. Its also ugly as fuckgard to me hahahahaha. That's all.

Shawsie64

Banned
Got my version all sweet, pretty happy with it and feel like playing through GTA 4 again.. Is there a mod that just replaces all the car models in the game with real life or better counterparts but leaves everything else the same? I could install a bunch of modded cars but not sure how that would affect the gameplay in the singleplayer story.

PowerK

I have two questions for those of you (if there are any) who have fiddled around with iCEnhancer 1.35

1. When I play with iCEnhancer 1.35, vehicle's reverse light don't light up. I've googled, and it seems I'm not alone having this issue. (1.2 and 1.25 are fine). Any way to fix it ?

2. 1.35 has too grainy look for me. Anyway to reduce grainyness ? Changing float NoiseAmount=0.0 in option.txt (FXAA injection) doesn't help.

dyergram

Is it worth me trying gta on my pc:
Qc 2.6
Ati 5850
4gb ram

It meets the req but don't want to waste my time if It's gonna be stutsvile.

You guys are breaking my balls :p

Here's an updated release with default no DoF, included dynamic DoF as an optional extra along with the trainer and first person mod.

Any crashes and issues I take no responsibility for, stuff works on a clean install on mah' PC.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hasau6j5bc9uac9

Let me know if I missed something, packed it a bit quick.

Thanks a bunch! Been meaning to say thanks for a few days but I've been trying to get the mod to work correctly. Turns out the source of all my problems was the "d3d9.dll" file. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes, if I add the first person mod stuff, it's like "nah son..." so I had to remove it, remove the d3d9.dll file then add it again and it runs. Ugh.

Anyways, hopefully I'll get the first person mod working, since I used if back in the day when I used icenhancer (Check out my pics earlier in the thread, they were pretty hawt). Until then, I'll do with third. It still looks marvelous.

Top Bottom