• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

soco

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It won't appear on disc until it is a combined GOTY release or something of that nature. Even if you said 'HDD Required' and had an install, putting it on disc doesn't work well because people would share the discs.

could you easily share the halo 2 mappack discs and the XBLA unplugged disc?

MS has a whole call center for validating MS products without internet access. while i'm certain they'd much prefer people to download it, i can still totally see them making it available on disc and having someone call in their number to get an official unlock code, if they're not connected to the internet to have it done.

soco said:
could you easily share the halo 2 mappack discs

and the XBLA unplugged disc?

1) Yes.
2) No, the disc had to be in the drive to play, but that's easy to do with a standalone disc. You can't piss off your customers by making them validate both discs every time you play.

I wonder... If between the two versions... Which one will really play better?

I'm pretty sure Rockstar is probably going to try to make both versions AAA given the budget of the franchise.

That means we may get a nice head to head honest to bones AAA developer comparison saying "This is the best we could do on platform XXX at this time."

It might get ugly around here...

dfyb

Banned
UntoldDreams said:

I'm pretty sure Rockstar is probably going to try to make both versions AAA given the budget of the franchise.

That means we may get a nice head to head honest to bones AAA developer comparison saying "This is the best we could do on platform XXX at this time."

it will get ugly but multiplatform games are never a good measuring tool.

SPEA

sangreal said:
cartman_tears.gif

westical

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I'm willing to bet this will be the worst selling GTA simply because it's on Next-gen systems.

I'll take a permaban if this is the worst selling GTA ever.

You can tell those people who think the GTA series started with #3

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
squicken said:
One can almost taste the tears.

What tears? I think a lot of people are making a big deal out of the downloaded content. I mean is that we do not even know what this content is, and if it will actually be something that we wait. It could be a some elaborate fetch mission that turns out to be a big waste of time. This is GTA, so we can assume that it might deal with drugs, guns, prostitutes, the usual GTA M.O.

Now if the downloadable content is like the 8-bit levels in Lost Planet or something totally different than what we can expect from Rockstar, it would be worth buying it, however I don't think so. This is GTA, so any extra content is probably the usually crime and mayhem we've seen in GTA games.

I think people are making a big deal about the content because it is exclusive, but exclusive does not always mean better, i.e. Spider-man 3 Collectors Edition for the PS3.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
westical said:
I'll take a permaban if this is the worst selling GTA ever.

You can tell those people who think the GTA series started with #3

But, Brawndo has what plants need, it's got electrolytes.

neojubei said:
What tears? I think a lot of people are making a big deal out of the downloaded content. I mean is that we do not even know what this content is, and if it will actually be something that we wait. It could be a some elaborate fetch mission that turns out to be a big waste of time. This is GTA, so we can assume that it might deal with drugs, guns, prostitutes, the usual GTA M.O.

Now if the downloadable content is like the 8-bit levels in Lost Planet or something totally different than what we can expect from Rockstar, however I don't think so. This is GTA, so any extra content is probably the usually crime and mayhem we've seen in GTA games.

I think people are making a big deal about the content because it is exclusive, but exclusive does not always mean better, i.e. Spider-man 3 Collectors Edition for the PS3.

?

neojubei

ZombieSupaStar said:

2.jpg

I wasn't so hot on Lost planet or the multi-player, but seeing levels like this makes me want to play. if something like this was in GTAIV, then yes the extra content would be worth it.

Wait just I moment. I see people talking about MS having spent $50 millions on the deal, I searched backwards and see that sangreal got it here.

Now, why is everyone assuming that "revenue chunk associated with the episodic content" means "The monies MS is throwing at us"? Obviously some part of it will be MS moneys, but they're talking about generic revenues here, so it obviously includes the money that people will throw at it buying it on the marketplace...

Am I missing something?

the question that remains is.....how is sony going to respond? i doubt they are going to just stand by while the rival version of THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR gets exclusive content...im sure they want some incentive to make people want to buy the PS3 version, whether it be preloading it with tons of extras to make the bluray space ACTUALLY WORTH IT, or creating exclusive content features for the PS3 version

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
frAntic_Frog said:
the question that remains is.....how is sony going to respond? i doubt they are going to just stand by while the rival version of THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR gets exclusive content...im sure they want some incentive to make people want to buy the PS3 version, whether it be preloading it with tons of extras to make the bluray space ACTUALLY WORTH IT, or creating exclusive content features for the PS3 version

How to respond? The bidding starts at $50,000,000.01

neojubei

frAntic_Frog said:
the question that remains is.....how is Sony going to respond? i doubt they are going to just stand by while the rival version of THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR gets exclusive content...im sure they want some incentive to make people want to buy the PS3 version, whether it be preloading it with tons of extras to make the bluray space ACTUALLY WORTH IT, or creating exclusive content features for the PS3 version

Maybe they are waiting for E3 to announce it, or as Sony is currently doing relying on their First/second party games.

In my opinion i think Stringer and probably some suits have put a leash on the video game division spending and well that part of Sony cannot just buy exclusives like Microsoft.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Revelations said:
I think a assurity of all of this is a pricedrop. That would certainly propel the casual masses into buying the 360 w/ GTAIV.

Yeah, I can't see how they are going to put up all of this money and not drop the price, that is almost assured now. IN a few months time, price should go down.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Could it be possible that they release the game without any unusual controversy, but later when it has sold millions they add kids through episodic content so it won't affect sales?

frAntic_Frog said:

Can't do anything that violates the binding contract. And I'm pretty sure MS didn't miss a step when drawing up the contents of the exclusive contract. Which probably had a line in it that said. 1. NO ADDITIONAL CONTENT FOR COMPETING PLATFORMS. 2. AND NO DEVELOPING EXTRA CONTENT AT THE EXPENSE OF EXCLUSIVE FUNDS. *cough*Level 5*cough*

GhaleonEB

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Wait just I moment. I see people talking about MS having spent $50 millions on the deal, I searched backwards and see that sangreal got it here.

Now, why is everyone assuming that "revenue chunk associated with the episodic content" means "The monies MS is throwing at us"? Obviously some part of it will be MS moneys, but they're talking about generic revenues here, so it obviously includes the money that people will throw at it buying it on the marketplace...

Am I missing something?
You can only book revenue in advance when there is certainty of payment, and there are specific rules around what that entails. In this case, Take-Two has a contract to receive payment for the episodes from Microsoft, and that contract is worth two payments of $25m each. Take-Two can book that because it is certain that it will be received - the contracts are an asset (one long term and one short term). They cannot book revenue in advance of actual sales because that is an entirely different kind of income stream, and no contracts guaranteeing the amount even if they were not.

neojubei

Revelations said:
Can't do anything that violates the binding contract. And I'm pretty sure MS didn't miss a step when drawing up the contents of the exclusive contract. Which probably had a line in it that said. 1. NO ADDITIONAL CONTENT FOR COMPETING PLATFORMS. 2. AND NO DEVELOPING EXTRA CONTENT AT THE EXPENSE OF EXCLUSIVE FUNDS. *cough*Level 5*cough*

Level 5? where did that come from?

Agent Icebeezy said:
Yeah, I can't see how they are going to put up all of this money and not drop the price, that is almost assured now. IN a few months time, price should go down.

$50 million payed for the entire developmental of the GTAIV project on the 360. If MS do not ensure mass appeal with casual & hardcore alike with a pricedrop on the 360. Then it's true they have chimpss running thier marketing & financial divisions.

GhaleonEB

neojubei said:
Level 5? where did that come from?
Rumors that MS funded the hell out of True Fantasy Live Online and the developer funneled that into other games (Dragon Quest VIII). Never substantiated, IIRC.

Edit: Damn you.

neojubei said:
Maybe they are waiting for E3 to announce it, or as Sony is currently doing relying on their First/second party games.

hopefully sony knows what its doing, as GTA is the biggest casual game in the later part of this year. if they are indeed gonna rely on 1st/2nd party, they'd better start rolling out the marketing rather sooner than later with ads, virals, DEMOS, download content, etc to draw attention toward the PS3's unproven 1st party franchises like Uncharted and Heavenly sword to offset the loss of GTA exclusive

neojubei

Agent Icebeezy said:
Level 5 bullshitting with Microsoft's money when it came to True Fantasy Live Online

Really? Wikipedia has a different take on it.

Relations between the two companies soon began to spiral out of control as Level-5 struggled to meet the demands required by Microsoft, who in turn grew frustrated at the lack of progress being made on the game. There were also significant disagreements on the direction of the title, with Level-5 aiming to make a more casual based MMORPG, similar to World of Warcraft, and Microsoft demanding a more long-term, Everquest-like title that would draw players in for months to come.

In the months following, Level-5 President and CEO Akihiro Hino stated in a Japanese interview that the poor relations between his company and Microsoft, partially due to the latter's inexperience in dealing with Japanese developers, was one of the major reasons behind True Fantasy Live Online's cancellation. He also heavily implied that the two companies did not part amicably, and it stands to reason that the two companies most likely will never work together again.

Revelations said:
It was said Level 5 used MS funds from TFLO to help develop DQ8.

I thought DQ8 was funded by Square-enix that owns the rights to that series.

And Sony funded Rogue Galaxy as well.

I think Microsoft tried to strong arm Level 5 into making the game Microsoft wanted.i.e. Shadowrun.

Zen

Banned
Was that ever officially documented, just seemed like bitter tears at the time. I've never been able to find anything confirming the whole Level 5 siphoned off TFLO funds for other projects or wasn't serious about TFLO, only snarky comments from TXBers.

EDIT: Besides, it's not like they would have just been given 10 million to make TFLO and then kept the entire 10 million when the project was canceled. Development doesn't work that way, though it would be awesome if it did (for the studios).

GhaleonEB said:
You can only book revenue in advance when there is certainty of payment, and there are specific rules around what that entails. In this case, Take-Two has a contract to receive payment for the episodes from Microsoft, and that contract is worth two payments of $25m each. Take-Two can book that because it is certain that it will be received - the contracts are an asset (one long term and one short term). They cannot book revenue in advance of actual sales because that is an entirely different kind of income stream, and no contracts guaranteeing the amount even if they were not.
Oh ok, thank you for clarifying it. Now I'm wondering if they'll get the ordinary sales too, or the $25 per episode is something like an "advance payment" on the episodes sales? However, I think MS will market them like crazy, if they are paying all this moneys... they'll make sure that everyone knows that new episodes of the game are coming only on their console.

neojubei said:
Really? Wikipedia has a different take on it.

I think Microsoft tried to strong arm Level 5 into making the game Microsoft wanted.i.e. Shadowrun.

Wikipedia is user created information. I wouldn't take that officially. Anyone can put that information up on Wiki. And you wouldn't think twice to check for accuracy.

Given MSFT's excellent business relations with other japanese developers at the time of TFLO development. MS didn't have any reason to strong arm or string along any independent developer. They weren't in the position last generation to do so. Besides it was MSKK who was in contact with level 5. Not the America HQ or MGS. MSKKK had it's own people to deal with japanese developers.

It comes down to this. Level 5 didn't meet deadlines. And the publishing/developing money MS forwared on that deal was being drained with no lasting results. Therefore level 5 was bleeding the MSKK's resources in some manner. Whether they put all thier focus into DQ8 instead of TFLO or they had no interest in the project to begin with. Either/Or whatever happened is not publicly known.

soco

neojubei said:
I thought DQ8 was funded by Square-enix that owns the rights to that series.

And Sony funded Rogue Galaxy as well.

not implying there is any truth to it, but the idea is that despite those games being funded by a publisher, they used the additional funds they were getting from MS to work on those games. it's shady, but there have been tales of this happening with other companies for years. i've read that quite a few companies did this with Philips during the whole CD-I debacle.

Sony could respond by suddenly dropping the price of the PS3 with a GTAIV bundle, I'm sure that would take the wind out of the 360 version (for non-next-gen-owners). But doubt that is really feasible, Sony will be pushing first party games something fierce.

UntoldDreams said:

I'm thinking you may be somewhat right with that thinking.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Striker said:
Halo 2 is still widely played.

With DLC and the 360 userbase rising, Halo 3 all but will as well.

GTA benefits from DLC and the 360 userbase rising as well..

as far as Halo 2 still being played, i think we can at least say for sure that any GTA game has more content in it than any Halo game will ever (most likely) have. Until they make a Halo-GTA game...oh the possibilites

lockload

Think about it people, this game will sell at least as well as Gears Of War on 360 so we are talking 4m + copies, probably more, so MS make $40m on the royalty right there...

lockload said:
Think about it people, this game will sell at least as well as Gears Of War on 360 so we are talking 4m + copies, probably more, so MS make $40m on the royalty right there...
It is impossible to quantify any kind of value to this content right now because there are so many variables that will change within the next 6 to 12 months.

el Diablo

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:

Lol have you not seen how Sony has handled the PS3 since launch? They're likely not going to do jack squat to help GTAIV sales. Have you forgotten that Sony's focus doesn't include third parties and they're going to win with their first party stuff :lol?

Around GTAIV launch they'll do exactly what they've been doing so far, give us more promises. They'll tell us all they have 100 secret first party titles they can't talk about and then they'll pimp the stuff they have due out soon like Drakes Fortune, Heavenly Sword, Little Big Planet, Home, and the lot. It's all about misdirection with them now. Make you forget the problems of now for what they'll attempt to give you tomorrow heh.

cilonen

Scottlarock said:
I was a teamxbox junkie back then, xbots wanted this game like crazy. I bought a ps2 for this game, I was not alone.

edit: talking about GTA III not GTA:SA

Were there that many Xbots back then? GTA 3 released about a month before the Xbox launched IIRC.

Top Bottom