• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
cilonen said:
Were there that many Xbots back then? GTA 3 released about a month before the Xbox launched IIRC.

I bought all of the GTAs on the PS2. However, both the double pack and San Andreas did over 1 million on the Xbox.

DSN2K

how stupid can MS be ? they could put this sort of money to better use, GTA is gonna sell huge on 360 regardless of DLC.

Barnolde

Banned
This game will be huge, selling better on 360 due to the larger userbase.

Fun fact: MS rolled out a 'storage required' tag (seen on newer copies of FFXI) for boxart that GTA IV could potentially utilize. It's also different from the 'HDD required' one on Football Manager 2006, as it also has a memory card pictured, despite FFXI needing a HDD.

Nolan.

DSN2K said:
how stupid can MS be ? they could put this sort of money to better use, GTA is gonna sell huge on 360 regardless of DLC.
I don't understand whats so important about the content to pay so much for it to be exclusive. Not just that but it has me thinking did rockstar orginally mean to include the content into the game as a whole. Or is it something they made up just for ms?. And like I said before does it directly link into the game?.

pswii60

SCAT MONEYHATS!?!?! OMGZ

funny-pictures-poo-head-099.jpg

FightyF

Banned
davepoobond said:
as far as Halo 2 still being played, i think we can at least say for sure that any GTA game has more content in it than any Halo game will ever (most likely) have. Until they make a Halo-GTA game...oh the possibilites

Well Halo 2 is still being played online. So the content isn't really the issue here. I've only played Resistance single player one time through (don't know how many hours that is), but I've easily put in 50 or so hours into the online portion. I'm sure many people already put days into the Halo 3 beta, and will only put in 15 or so for the single player portion.

You can see the "storage required" icon on this box:

51KgwGnPgnL._SS500_.jpg

This icon depicts a memory unit and a hard drive. Can FFXI be played with just a memory unit? Or do you need both?

DSN2K said:

Well this deal was done back in 2006 before the launch of the PS3. Now I know that everyone on neogaf totally expected everything to turn out just like it did, but MS and Take Two probably didn't. If they had then MS perhaps could've gotten more for their money.

lockload

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Well this deal was done back in 2006 before the launch of the PS3. Now I know that everyone on neogaf totally expected everything to turn out just like it did, but MS and Take Two probably didn't. If they had then MS perhaps could've gotten more for their money.

Well if we could see into the future things would obviously be different but you cant..

All thats for sure is when GTA4 episode 1 launches in March 2008 and even more so when episode 2 comes out in Q3 2008 online content for this game will be even more important people will be looking for more content for the game espeically due to the online coop modes

People seem to forget a GTA game has never launched day and date on a platform other than sony couple this with the episodic content in 2008 and its a big deal

To put things into perspective sony loses around $50m on each 250,000 PS3 consoles sold so who is more foolish....

PnCIa

Good for 360 user I guess. Instead of throwing money at Rockstar they should fix the damn console though.

frAntic_Frog said:
the question that remains is.....how is sony going to respond? i doubt they are going to just stand by while the rival version of THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR gets exclusive content...im sure they want some incentive to make people want to buy the PS3 version, whether it be preloading it with tons of extras to make the bluray space ACTUALLY WORTH IT, or creating exclusive content features for the PS3 version
They´re not going to respond in any way, like they´ve done it since the Playstation exclusivity has gone down the drain.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Short memory some people have around here. Sony did respond to the 360 getting Exclusive content. They said "We dont need GTA".

bendak

This makes me think that these might be full-fledged expansions, not just a new side quest or car here or there.

Christopher

The ONLY way I can see this being actually worth while for Microsoft is if they make the exlusive content for GOLD members only

AT LEAST a million would download the content or register/re-register

if not it's not like the PS3 version would outsell it at all....I mean wow at that money.

szaromir

Banned
Christopher said:
if not it's not like the PS3 version would outsell it at all....I mean wow at that money.
They didn't know it in the first half of 2006. General consensus was that market would swallow any amounts of PS3s Sony could produce for first months after console's launch .

lockload said:
Well if we could see into the future things would obviously be different but you cant..

All thats for sure is when GTA4 episode 1 launches in March 2008 and even more so when episode 2 comes out in Q3 2008 online content for this game will be even more important people will be looking for more content for the game espeically due to the online coop modes

People seem to forget a GTA game has never launched day and date on a platform other than sony couple this with the episodic content in 2008 and its a big deal

To put things into perspective sony loses around $50m on each 250,000 PS3 consoles sold so who is more foolish....

Dude. Don't open that can. Microsoft has lost a ton on their hardware...

Besides... I see no way for Microsoft to get $50 million dollars back out of this without charging quite a bit for downloadable content.

See... I don't see this being used as a "gift" to gold members at all. I see it more as a "past strategic move" just in case they couldn't get the hardcore market.

Well, they have already gotten the hardcore market. Now they have stated they want to expand to the casual/female/elderly market. $50 million on GTA will provide them little to advance that agenda.

I bet they charge quite a bit for it. And people will buy it too.

szaromir

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
Dude. Don't open that can. Microsoft has lost a ton on their hardware...

Besides... I see no way for Microsoft to get $50 million dollars back out of this without charging quite a bit for downloadable content.
It's Rockstar/Take2 who will set pricepoint for DLC.

The investment into GTA is a great move by Microsoft, and you'll all see. This is what the casuals have been waiting for on next gen. If you're a huge fan of GTA you can get into the next gen hardware cheaper on the 360 than you can on the PS3, and you also have the option to buy additional content which you can't get on the PS3. I don't see how in the world this is a bad move by Microsoft (even if they lost half the money they invested). It's a system seller move, and about the best they could get at the time since Take Two wasn't going to give them an exclusive window.

Bearillusion said:
A funny discussion when you consider the soon to be leader of this generation isn't getting GTA at all.

Manhunt 2 is a litmus test. If it sells 500k plus, expect there to be a Wii version or port of GTA (and likely, Bully and Table Tennis) sometime next year. It's obvious that Rockstar doesn't have the same qualms about Nintendo's userbase as they did about the GCN's.

It's clear now that MS' somewhat overreacted to the PS3's incoming threat in the West. They've made every move in the last 12 months soley to bury the PS3. But before E3 last year, wasn't that the smart move? Doing everything possible to make sure the biggest 3rd party game of 2007 wasn't PS3 exclusive for 6 months (or even one day), and actually leveraging that further into a partial 360 exclusive probably seemed like the best idea to stay competitive in the face of Sony's onslaught this fall that was supposed to consist of GT5, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Unreal Tournament 3.

It's only now in hindsight that it seems like overkill.

If GTAIV sells 5 million on 360 at $60-$90, and each Episode is as large as a PSP "Story" game and sells 1 million each at $30, MS will make their money back just on licensing. It's a huge gamble but one that may yet pay off.

Announce the PC version pls Rockstar. I hope it comes quicker than the previous due toe synergy between the 360 and your typical PC setup. Still credit to them all the PC ports obviously had a nice amount of extra polish in them

lockload said:

Where did this phrase "day and date" come from? It's annoying. It seems redundant and is more easily said "same day" or "same date".

UntoldDreams said:
Well, they have already gotten the hardcore market. Now they have stated they want to expand to the casual/female/elderly market. $50 million on GTA will provide them little to advance that agenda.

I bet they charge quite a bit for it. And people will buy it too.

I fully expect them to be $30 each (as I posted above) looking at the precedent set by Shivering Isles.

And GTA is one of the biggest casual franchises today (and hey, so is Guitar Hero), it should do lots to increase the 360's popularity in the "one game a year crowd" provided that MS can get the price on the premium to a reasonable level.

szaromir

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Sony's onslaught this fall that was supposed to consist of GT5, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Unreal Tournament 3.
They knew the two were coming to their platform. We didn't know that.:)
If GTAIV sells 5 million on 360 at $60-$90, and each Episode is as large as a PSP "Story" game and sells 1 million each at $30, MS will make their money back just on licensing. It's a huge gamble but one that may yet pay off.
Yeah, they'll make their money back.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Manhunt 2 is a litmus test. If it sells 500k plus, expect there to be a Wii version or port of GTA (and likely, Bully and Table Tennis) sometime next year. It's obvious that Rockstar doesn't have the same qualms about Nintendo's userbase as they did about the GCN's.

I can see them porting over last generation GTAs but they would have to take a big axe to GTA 4 to get it to work on the Wii. In the most recent TTWO conference call, analysts ask if they could do a GTA 4 for the PS2 since the PS2 is still selling so well and has a big installed base. . . . Well here is what they said:

Michael Savner - Banc of America
But specifically as we look at the GTA release in the fall, is it too late -- is there any possibility that given the strength of PS2 hardware at some point in the future we could see a PS2 version? I think everyone agrees that it’s certainly going to be a hardware driver for next gen, but clearly we’re going to be starting from a lower point than I think people thought a year ago. So maybe just talk about any flexibility you’d have going forward about porting that to an older legacy console. I’ll ask that and then I have a follow-up, please.

Strauss Zelnick
Michael, it seems unlikely. Once you’ll see the game, you’ll understand why. We’re taking advantage of the features of these new consoles. It’s not a -- this is a brand new game. This is something that --

Benjamin Feder
I’d say more than that. The guys at Rockstar are pushing the envelope on the hardware. The hardware itself is pretty impressive and we think that GTA 4 will be the cutting edge game for PS3 and for X-Box 360 and that’s going to drive the gaming experience.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/38017

Defuser

MrPing1000 said:
Announce the PC version pls Rockstar. I hope it comes quicker than the previous due toe synergy between the 360 and your typical PC setup. Still credit to them all the PC ports obviously had a nice amount of extra polish in them
They don't want another Hot Coffee mod to be stirred up by PC modders.

Defuser said:
They don't want another Hot Coffee mod to be stirred up by PC modders.

pfft it was already there all they did was unlock it. Anyway Hot Coffee was retarded the judicial system clearly didn't understand the concept that to access it you had to purposely unlock it.

MrPing1000 said:
pfft it was already there all they did was unlock it. Anyway Hot Coffee was retarded the judicial system clearly didn't understand the concept that to access it you had to purposely unlock it.

Well, the ESRB played it real conservative and hung them out to dry. They decided that hidden content which cannot be accessed w/o violating the end-user license agreement should be considered in the ratings. Developers better make sure they keep their gold masters clean of all other code.

Of course, the developers kinda should have known this considering the EA South Park debacle.

kitch9

Banned
Man, now I'm torn....

Do I buy the looking to be better version GTA for the 360 and play it on my 27" TV in my office, or do I buy it for my PS3 to play it on my 46" LCD in my lounge......

GAH....

cilonen

MrPing1000 said:

I don't get the 'synergy between the 360 and your typical PC setup' thing. Are we talking development environment?

Most PC's don't run on 3 core Power PC derived chips. I'm not trying to be snippy, I guess it must be dev environment and tools, but I thought any leverage-able synergy between the PC and the Xbox ended with Xbox 1's architecture.

eshwaaz

kitch9 said:
Man, now I'm torn....

Do I buy the looking to be better version GTA for the 360 and play it on my 27" TV in my office, or do I buy it for my PS3 to play it on my 46" LCD in my lounge......

GAH....

Is hooking your 360 up to the 46" LCD not an option?

cilonen said:
I don't get the 'synergy between the 360 and your typical PC setup' thing. Are we talking development environment?

Most PC's don't run on 3 core Power PC derived chips. I'm not trying to be snippy, I guess it must be dev environment and tools, but I thought any leverage-able synergy between the PC and the Xbox ended with Xbox 1's architecture.

Yes, MSFT has gone to great lengths to make a nice development environment (XNA) that works for both PCs and the xbox 360.

szaromir

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yes, MSFT has gone to great lengths to make a nice development environment (XNA) that works for both PCs and the xbox 360.
Big studios like Rockstar aren't using XNA and developing more down to the metal on the 360.
XNA is sweet nonetheless

But yeah developing on PC and 360 is relatively easy, especially when you set 2007 and 2008 PCs as your target platform for PC side of things.

cilonen said:

I guess your right, but it's closer to the PC than the playstation 2 was which is where the 3 previous 3d games originated before being ported to PC

Shamrock

Banned
I wonder if MS just pony'ed up 50 million for this and Rockstar gets to keep the amount they charge for the content. (For instance if it's a 10/20 dollar expansion pack)

Or if MS did this to help Rockstar out why they were going through some financial problems/angry shareholders. Maybe Like MS gave them 50 million up front to produce the exclusive content, but MS charges for it on MP and keeps all the money.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
HocusPocus said:
The investment into GTA is a great move by Microsoft, and you'll all see. This is what the casuals have been waiting for on next gen. If you're a huge fan of GTA you can get into the next gen hardware cheaper on the 360 than you can on the PS3, and you also have the option to buy additional content which you can't get on the PS3. I don't see how in the world this is a bad move by Microsoft (even if they lost half the money they invested). It's a system seller move, and about the best they could get at the time since Take Two wasn't going to give them an exclusive window.

bollocks. The 'casuals' aren't in the market for a $400 console, simple as that. Doesn't matter what games come out for it.

They'll buy games for the consoles that they can afford. But for now, both 360 and PS3 are not on the radar of the real mass market casual gamers.

and any one game will not change that.

yukoner

DSN2K said:

Stupid? It's not about sales, it's about the Xbox BRAND.

This, combined with the lower pricepoint of the console, will potentially make 360 the primary console for the GTA series.

That's huge.

A complete shift from last generation. In the US there is no more culturally revered, or mainstream title as Grand Theft Auto.

For MS to not only take the exclsuive away from Sony, but to make their console the primary one for this game is a huge success.

The only thing that could make this a mistake is if GTA4 sucks, which is pretty hard to imagine.

yukoner

mrklaw said:
bollocks. The 'casuals' aren't in the market for a $400 console, simple as that. Doesn't matter what games come out for it.

They'll buy games for the consoles that they can afford. But for now, both 360 and PS3 are not on the radar of the real mass market casual gamers.

and any one game will not change that.

If you think 360 will be $399 in October you should probably get your head checked.

And, if you haven't noticed, casuals can now get in for $340 with the core. A million or two already have...that number will almost certainly be < $300 by the time GTA releases.

Top Bottom