• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

Smokey

HomShaBom said:
For it not to go to the competition. Use your head.

No need for the smartass comment..

$30,000,000.00 is more than most budgets of full games...i just don't understand it.

I guess when you wipe your ass w/ money you can do that but still..

methane47

The same guy who apparently CONFIRMS the exclusivity of the Xbox360 DLC is the same guy who says this

The spokesperson suggested that both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases are likely, stating, "LA Noire is being developed for next-generation systems."

He's sure about one.. but isn't even sure about the development platforms for another..
I think before I totally rule out judgment I will wait for an official statement from RockStar or TTWO and not an "Insider"

RavenFox

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
No, no, no. MS paid them 30 million to get content next year that'll already be in the PS3 version that comes out in October of this year. I read that on GAF! Dig it!
That means the blu ray disc has all of it already. Blu ray FTW Gaf?

Smokey Bones said:

$30,000,000.00 is more than most budgets of full games...i just don't understand it.

The episodic content will be pretty big, + i think 360 being positioned as the main version (e3 conference, demos, probably in marketing too) may be included in the deal.

Borys

Banned
Well from what I've read this DLC isn't something like car armor, it's more along the lines of the GTA story series on the PSP/PS2.

Mighty interesting and well worth the pricetag which is peanuts for MS eitherway.

Smokey Bones said:

Well, T2 or MS or both did put it like the extra content would be as much as you saw in full fledged GTA release.

szaromir

Banned
Smokey Bones said:

Microsoft announced GTA IV on their press conference. If the DLC is anything like Shivering Isles, it will cost 30$ most probably. Which means Microsoft will make 9$ back on every download.

chubigans said:
I feel the same way. All GTAs have felt like full games to me...if GTA4 somehow feels lacking before the extra content, then the devs have failed to deliver a GTA caliber game. End of story.
What about making a bold move to drive the market in their favour?
End of business?

anddo0

Tobor said:
What do you think episodic content means? Sounds like a continuation of the story to me. If it was just weapons and cars, they would call it DLC. Episodic implies more story by definition.

If R* screws PS3 owners like that they'll never hear the end of it.

IMO the DLC will be spin offs and not directly related to the GTA4 story.
I mean how screwed up would it be for PS3 owners to be the game. Only to find out that theres more to the "main story" and the only way they can complete it is buy owning the 360 version.

you really think R* would do that?

Smokey

Well from what I've read this DLC isn't something like car armor, it's more along the lines of the GTA story series on the PSP/PS2.

Well that explains some of it then.

If that's the case anybody with a PS3 + 360, would be foolish to purchase it on the PS3 for reasons other than the DLC, but shall remain secret because the system trolls are just waiting in the wings getting ready to attack.

Tobor

chubigans said:
I feel the same way. All GTAs have felt like full games to me...if GTA4 somehow feels lacking before the extra content, then the devs have failed to deliver a GTA caliber game. End of story.

By the way, episodic content is exclusive, but DLC isn't. So maybe we'll get some new cars on the PS3 version, who knows.

Denial. Serious denial. If these episodes are awesome(we don't know that they will obviously), there will be some seriously jealous PS3 owners out there. To say otherwise is spinning.

Anyone who loves GTA is going to want everything Rockstar is putting out there.

Tobor

anddo0 said:

I mean how screwed up would it be for PS3 owners to be the game. Only to find out that theres more to the "main story" and the only way they can complete it is buy owning the 360 version.

Never hear the end of it from who? The majority of GTA 4 buyers will be able to get the content.

Smokey Bones said:
what?

Microsoft paid $30 million for downloadable content...?

The deal was struck long ago as an investment to help MSFT win the next-gen console war. GTA III & its sequels were clearly fueled a lot of the PS2 sales last generation. So obtaining a simultaneous release of GTA IV on the xbox 360 plus additional exclusive downloadable content for the xbox 360 version was an investment well worth the $30million at the time.

Of course it doesn't look like such a great investment now since the PS3 has flopped so badly, but back then it was assumed that the PS3 would be THE big console as the PS1 & PS2 were the big consoles of their generations.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tobor said:
Denial. Serious denial. If these episodes are awesome(we don't know that they will obviously), there will be some seriously jealous PS3 owners out there. To say otherwise is spinning.

Anyone who loves GTA is going to want everything Rockstar is putting out there.

I never said it wouldn't be awesome. I said GTA4 better be a self-contained game and have the extra content feel "extra," because otherwise they've screwed PS3 owners.

ram

anddo0 said:

yeah - i think give it SIX month and you get the same shit on playstation. thats exclusive for rockstar/taketwo. remember how long the psp gtas were "exclusive" and the ps3 has the advantage with the standard hdd.

Doel

Smokey Bones said:
Well that explains some of it then.

If that's the case anybody with a PS3 + 360, would be foolish to purchase it on the PS3 for reasons other than the DLC, but shall remain secret because the system trolls are just waiting in the wings getting ready to attack.
Or the other reason is my reason. If there is online play, my closest friends only own PS3s, so now its down to wanting Episodic DLC or playing online with my friends. I'll chose playing online with my friends but that doesn't mean I have grin on my face. I'm pretty ****ing pissed off that Sony allowed this to happen.

Smokey

chubigans said:

By the way, episodic content is exclusive, but DLC isn't. So maybe we'll get some new cars on the PS3 version, who knows.

:lol :lol

It'll be alright chubs :)

The game will still feel like a full game I'm pretty sure, and even if by some off chance that it doesn't you think people are just gonna stop buying GTA games?

anddo0

Tobor said:
Never hear the end of it from who? The majority of GTA 4 buyers will be able to get the content.

Because we know for a fact that the 360 version will sell more?

Yeah it has the userbase, but its not like every 360 owner will buy it.
GTA is one game despite the userbase difference might sell just as well on the PS3 as it does on 360.. When most people think GTA they think PS.. we'll see if that holds true this time around.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
30 mil is absurd. It's probably like 10 mil to development the content and 20 for exclusivity.

methane47 said:
The same guy who apparently CONFIRMS the exclusivity of the Xbox360 DLC is the same guy who says this

He's sure about one.. but isn't even sure about the development platforms for another..
I think before I totally rule out judgment I will wait for an official statement from RockStar or TTWO and not an "Insider"
He doesn't say that, he basically read the LA Noire site for them "The platform for this game is next generation systems", and gameindustry ran with it.

The game is made by studio that is built on previous SONY programmers, and SONY pumped over 20 mln $ into the project. Take Two is only a publisher for this title.

chubigans said:
I never said it wouldn't be awesome. I said GTA4 better be a self-contained game and have the extra content feel "extra," because otherwise they've screwed PS3 owners.

Altought obviously the story will be self contained, and the episodic content will be new stories, isn't that the purpose to pay for the episodic content exclusivity? To screw Ps3 owners!? I think that's the whole point.

Kolgar

anddo0 said:

GTA is one game despite the userbase difference might sell just as well on the PS3 as it does on 360.. When most people think GTA they think PS.. we'll see if that holds true this time around.

Given the disparity in userbase this time, I think the situation's changed entirely.

360 GTA is going to outsell the PS3 version by 4:1 easily, especially if this rumor is true.

soco

where is everyone getting the 30$ mil number from? i think this is some makebelieve number created on gamefaqs.

i've got a feeling most people are gonna be disappointed when they see whats in the "episodic content". i think it sounds better on paper than what it'll end up being in real life. i also don't believe its gonna make a big deal to most consumers. how exactly do you advertise downloadable content to people who are used to walking into a store and getting the complete version? tv commercials that point out that they can pay 90$ on the 360 version and get a few more missions than on the ps3 one?

besides, how's this gonna work for the core system anyway? (you don't get it, suckaz! that's a nice message :)

Tobor said:

Yeah, I see it being 90% of copies sold on 360 and 10% on the Tripple. This makes a lot of sense even now as the pre-order average is about 5 to 1 right now (in 360s favor, duh). A few gamestops have about 2 or 3 reserves for the PS3 version but over 15-20 on the 360.

Price cut Sony. And more games. That's all you need little buddy. God, I can't believe it's the underdog now...

anddo0 said:

When most people think about any game, if they don't already have the system, they first probably make sure they can afford both the system and the game.

Smokey

anddo0 said:

I doubt the game will sell just as well on PS3. 360 owners eat up software, and once word gets out that the 360 version will have exclusive episodic content I really don't think the PS3 version will be able to hang.

I'm def. getting the 360 version, but I prefer the PS controller for GTA games though.

Uncle

methane47 said:

Do you have trouble with understanding what you read?

Tobor

anddo0 said:

Yes, we do know this for a fact. A system with less than half the userbase will not sell more copies of GTA. Never gonna happen.

szaromir

Banned
Y2Kev said:
30 mil is absurd. It's probably like 10 mil to development the content and 20 for exclusivity.
Hmm. They will make this money back on GTA4. Retail game royalties and DLC royalties will probably be very big money, assuming it sells like 3M+ copies on 360 (which is quite possible). Plus they get "GTA IV" and "360 exclusive" in one sentence and they announced it at their conference.

anddo0 said:
If R* screws PS3 owners like that they'll never hear the end of it.?

Well, the deal was announced long before the PS3 was even available for sale. So if person is huge GTA fan, they screwed themselves by getting a PS3.

That was the whole point of MSFT giving $30 million to R* for this exclusive content . . . they want GTA fans to buy the xbox 360. (You'll still get GTA IV on the PS3, just not what ever is in that episodic content . . . and who knows if it is additional story, side-missions, or what?)

soco said:
where is everyone getting the 30$ mil number from? i think this is some makebelieve number created on gamefaqs.

i've got a feeling most people are gonna be disappointed when they see whats in the "episodic content". i think it sounds better on paper than what it'll end up being in real life. i also don't believe its gonna make a big deal to most consumers. how exactly do you advertise downloadable content to people who are used to walking into a store and getting the complete version? tv commercials that point out that they can pay 90$ on the 360 version and get a few more missions than on the ps3 one?

besides, how's this gonna work for the core system anyway? (you don't get it, suckaz! that's a nice message :)

Wow.

That's like.....dumb man.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Merovingian said:
Altought obviously the story will be self contained, and the episodic content will be new stories, isn't that the purpose to pay for the episodic content exclusivity? To screw Ps3 owners!? I think that's the whole point.

It really sounds like Microsoft paid Rockstar to churn out the content, instead of Rockstar making the content and MS paying the rights for it. How else to explain the 30 mil?

I really don't see this episodic content making it's way to PS3. Now, smaller DLC like...sigh...new cars and stuff might be on the PS3. But not episodic content. Not now, not ever.

Tieno

soco said:

i've got a feeling most people are gonna be disappointed when they see whats in the "episodic content". i think it sounds better on paper than what it'll end up being in real life. i also don't believe its gonna make a big deal to most consumers. how exactly do you advertise downloadable content to people who are used to walking into a store and getting the complete version? tv commercials that point out that they can pay 90$ on the 360 version and get a few more missions than on the
It's taken from TTWO finanicial statements or something.

With the way MS has been namedropping GTA4 every chance it gets it wouldn't surprise me if they market with 360 in the commercials.

calder

As long as the PS3 version doesn't ignore the HDD just to appease MS I'll still likely get the PS3 version. DLC, at this point, is just a vague promise and some ideas and unless they reveal some truly cool stuff before release (which is tricky, since ppl will ask why it's not in the game already) that's only available from the DLC it won't impact my decision much.

Really, I think at this point PS3 owners are more worried about getting a gimped version than not getting downloadable stuff months after it ships.

Ranger X

No exclusivity happens out of thin air. This means Microsoft secured that.

Now if it's time exclusive they won't say it. They won't tell you if there will be DIFFERENT episodic content for GTA4 on the PS3 in the futur. The only thing we can take for granted is that this particular content they are talking about won't see the light of the day on the PS3.

chubigans said:
It really sounds like Microsoft paid Rockstar to churn out the content, instead of Rockstar making the content and MS paying the rights for it. How else to explain the 30 mil?

I really don't see this episodic content making it's way to PS3. Now, smaller DLC like...sigh...new cars and stuff might be on the PS3. But not episodic content. Not now, not ever.

Yeah probably MS asked "Are you guys thinking about episodic content?" - "It's a cool idea, maybe yeah" - "Here's what, we want it, and only on the 360" - "Well..." - "30 million enough?" - "...sure, i think that will do..."

Uncle

anddo0 said:
When most people think GTA they think PS.. we'll see if that holds true this time around.

That could probably change with a bunch of GTA 4 ads ending with the 360 spin.

Top Bottom