• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

Raist

Banned
Keyword : episodic !

Only the 360 will get the episodic content, because it will be available from the start on the PS3 version ! Blu-ray ftw !

seriously, who cares ?

Smokey

chubigans said:
It really sounds like Microsoft paid Rockstar to churn out the content, instead of Rockstar making the content and MS paying the rights for it. How else to explain the 30 mil?

I really don't see this episodic content making it's way to PS3. Now, smaller DLC like...sigh...new cars and stuff might be on the PS3. But not episodic content. Not now, not ever.

That's what is sounds like to me.

But hey Microsoft has the bread to do it and it was more like $30 to them rather than $30 mill.

This is one area where Sony cannot hang with MS obviously.

Tobor

Raist said:

Only the 360 will get the episodic content, because it will be available from the start on the PS3 version ! Blu-ray ftw !

seriously, who cares ?

This content will not be available to PS3 owners. Ever. You will never see it.

Who cares? GTA fans.

Raist said:

seriously, who cares ?

Obviously.

to both points
. I mean who cares....:lol

Tieno

calder said:
As long as the PS3 version doesn't ignore the HDD just to appease MS I'll still likely get the PS3 version. DLC, at this point, is just a vague promise and some ideas and unless they reveal some truly cool stuff before release (which is tricky, since ppl will ask why it's not in the game already) that's only available from the DLC it won't impact my decision much.

Really, I think at this point PS3 owners are more worried about getting a gimped version than not getting downloadable stuff months after it ships.
I don't think you should worry about that, Rockstar has said both retail versions will be identical.

Norml said:
Sony help Rockstar to be where they are at, and thats what they give in return, talk about
back stab.
Start a petition, DMC4-style.

andthebeatgoeson

Wait, does this mean another side game? Like, 30 mil for exclusive DLC, episodic content and another game? I agree, 30 million for episodes is alot when it could of gone halfway to another GTA. Probably more.

If it's just a few extra missions or even staten island, it's not worth 30 million. It needs to be an extra borough, extra missions, extra cars, extra everything. Planes, trains and automobiles. John Candy doing a few voice overs. I wonder what it'll be and how much it'll cost.

Or maybe that's the plan. At $10 a pop, how much is this worth and is the $30 million figure just a sign that all this stuff will cost money. For what, are you willing to pay $10? Cars? Clothes? A new island/borough? 10 extra missions? 50?

I can tell you what, Rockstar better make it added content, not stripped content. They've already shown how many features and diverse gameplay can be put into these games. It best include different stories.
Tieno said:
Start a petition, AC6-style.
Fixed
Tieno said:
Start a petition, FF7-style.
Retrofixed

Raist said:

seriously, who cares ?
Aside from the people apparently writhing in agony over it in these threads, I guess it would be the people who ask if anyone cares.

Ranger X

Norml said:
Sony help Rockstar to be where they are at, and thats what they give in return, talk about
back stab.

What?
It's not a backstab. It's business. A contract is a contract. Microsoft wanted something specific, they paid and signed a contract for it. They have more sales with their 360 than with the PS3. Take Two is simply going where the money is. Like all business.

skinnyrattler said:
Wait, does this mean another side game? Like, 30 mil for exclusive DLC, episodic content and another game? I agree, 30 million for episodes is alot when it could of gone halfway to another GTA. Probably more.

If it's just a few extra missions or even staten island, it's not worth 30 million. It needs to be an extra borough, extra missions, extra cars, extra everything. Planes, trains and automobiles. John Candy doing a few voice overs. I wonder what it'll be and how much it'll cost.

Or maybe that's the plan. At $10 a pop, how much is this worth and is the $30 million figure just a sign that all this stuff will cost money. For what, are you willing to pay $10? Cars? Clothes? A new island/borough? 10 extra missions? 50?

I can tell you what, Rockstar better make it added content, not stripped content. They've already shown how many features and diverse gameplay can be put into these games. It best include different stories.

I believe Peter Moore already said it will be "Stories" sized episodes. So you could be playing as one of the characters you meet in the main game, like a Resident Evil game or even Ninja Gaiden Sigma with Rachel.

Norml said:
back stab.

:lol :lol

Sony help what??? More like Rockstar helped Ps2 reach where it reached (MS turned GTA down or some shit, it was supposed to come to the Xbox- too at least - , wonder what would have happened if MS had made it exclusive), and Sony just recently said GTA didn't matter.

Raist

Banned
Tobor said:
This content will not be available to PS3 owners. Ever. You will never see it.

Who cares? GTA fans.

So I guess you like... couldn't see the ... hmm... sarcasm... right ?

And yeah, GTA fans care. That is, out of 10 million (random number, don't sue me), substract the ones that are also PS fans, and those who probably will never know that the 360 will get episodic content in the future.

el Diablo

Banned
anddo0 said:
If R* screws PS3 owners like that they'll never hear the end of it.

IMO the DLC will be spin offs and not directly related to the GTA4 story.
I mean how screwed up would it be for PS3 owners to be the game. Only to find out that theres more to the "main story" and the only way they can complete it is buy owning the 360 version.

you really think R* would do that?

That's exactly what it sounds like, an extra storylines. If i'm remembering right weren't they talking about adding entire islands through episodic content awhile back? I'd imagine the islands would be significantly smaller than the main islands/cities in the game, but you figure they'd be at least as big as the last island in GTAIII (the one w/ the airport).

Oh well, this makes it an easy choice of what system to buy this on.

Ynos Yrros said:
He doesn't say that, he basically read the LA Noire site for them "The platform for this game is next generation systems", and gameindustry ran with it.

The game is made by studio that is built on previous SONY programmers, and SONY pumped over 20 mln $ into the project. Take Two is only a publisher for this title.

See the 's' at the end. That means more than one system. The Take-Two person said that. The logical conclusion would be PS3 and xbox 360.

To add more logic, I think it would be insane for a third party to fund a console exclusive for a struggling console. Especially when they picked up the game from that console maker who bailed on it.

So I think it is pretty safe to assume that it will be for both PS3 and xbox 360 unless Sony or MSFT coughs up a big money hat. The possibility of a moneyhat is probably why they haven't confirmed cross-platform status yet.

calder

Tieno said:
Rockstar has said both retail versions will be identical.
Yeah, but that could mean a lot of things. I'm sure there won't be any major differences in gameplay or content, but performance and subtle details won't be identical. I'm more worried MS expects their 30mil to ensure closely matched performance by basically having R* not optimize certain aspects of the game for PS3 that they might have otherwise. We've all read the reports alleging lack of a HDD as standard was a hindrance in development.

Shamrock

Banned
Norml said:
back stab.

This isn't the March of Dimes Son. You don't explain to your board of directors and stock holders that you turned down millions of dollars because you want to be nice to Sony.

Besides Sony didn't make GTA what it is. GTA auto did more to make Sony what it was.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Haha, double post. ISP went down and didn't know if the last one made it through.

Tobor

Raist said:
So I guess you like... couldn't see the ... hmm... sarcasm... right ?

And yeah, GTA fans care. That is, out of 10 million (random number, don't sue me), substract the ones that are also PS fans, and those who probably will never know that the 360 will get episodic content in the future.

Well, it's hard to tell in a thread like this. My apologies.

Oh, they will know. I wouldn't be suprised if part of the 30 million includes advertising that the 360 version will have exclusive episodes.

calder said:
Yeah, but that could mean a lot of things. I'm sure there won't be any major differences in gameplay or content, but performance and subtle details won't be identical. I'm more worried MS expects their 30mil to ensure closely matched performance by basically having R* not optimize certain aspects of the game for PS3 that they might have otherwise. We've all read the reports alleging lack of a HDD as standard was a hindrance in development.

Oh so, your definition of the Ps3 version being gimped is if it's not better than the 360 version.

:lol

calder said:

GTA4 could very well run best on the 360. Rockstar already made one 360 retail game using the engine, and everytime GTA4 has been shown it to journalists it has been running on 360 hardware. If that doesn't scream "Xbox 360 is the lead sku" I don't know what does.

calder

Merovingian said:
Oh so, your definition of the Ps3 version being gimped is if it's not better than the 360 version.

:lol
I think my point is pretty clear, but I *could* break it down for you again if you'd like.

chespace said:
Haha, double post. ISP went down and didn't know if the last one made it through.
That's gotta be the longest gap in double posting history on this board. You know you love this system wars shit. :lol

calder said:
I would like to think that GTA IV will be the first title, if not one of the first, that requires the HDD if it's an issue of gameplay issues. Even if there were a noticeable difference in performance quality, that never stopped people from buying previous GTAs before with their less than stellar performance on PS2.

Norml

Tieno said:
I don't think you should worry about that, Rockstar has said both retail versions will be identical.

Start a petition, DMC4-style.

What about this- Dan Houser

There’s a lot of internal competition and pressure to do the best that they can do. You know, ‘How can we tie that in together?’ And suddenly you’re like, ‘Oh shi, it needs another 10,000 extra audio samples or another 50 pedestrian models. Oh well, it’s worth it; don’t let the side down…’ There’s a really good energy like that. The danger is currently the storage medium (DVD), and one we thing we’re all praying for in the next round of hardware is that they don’t just go, ‘It’s DVD again’. We’ve done some clever stuff with compressing it, but we were virtually full on the disc with Vice City – this time we’re overfilling the disc to the max.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56025

Shamrock

Banned
Raist said:

seriously, who cares ?

Sheeeeit, MS will have the exclusive episodic content because Sony is throwing around nickels like their manhole covers.

Norml said:
Sony help Rockstar to be where they are at, and thats what they give in return, talk about back stab.

Sony helped Rockstar? Rockstar helped Sony more than Sony helped Rockstar. GTA III pushed the PS2 over the top. GTA III was a 'killer ap' as they say.

Tieno

Norml said:

There’s a lot of internal competition and pressure to do the best that they can do. You know, ‘How can we tie that in together?’ And suddenly you’re like, ‘Oh shit, it needs another 10,000 extra audio samples or another 50 pedestrian models. Oh well, it’s worth it; don’t let the side down…’ There’s a really good energy like that. The danger is currently the storage medium (DVD), and one we thing we’re all praying for in the next round of hardware is that they don’t just go, ‘It’s DVD again’. We’ve done some clever stuff with compressing it, but we were virtually full on the disc with Vice City – this time we’re overfilling the disc to the max.”

It's a challenge, I guess, but I'll take Rockstar's word on that both versions will be pretty much identical. Problems can be solved.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
To be honest, I'm surprised Take Two haven't announced GTA for Wii. If you can do a proper GTA on PSP, you can do a bang-up job on Wii.

If confirmed, this is great news for fans of news.

Norml said:

There’s a lot of internal competition and pressure to do the best that they can do. You know, ‘How can we tie that in together?’ And suddenly you’re like, ‘Oh shit, it needs another 10,000 extra audio samples or another 50 pedestrian models. Oh well, it’s worth it; don’t let the side down…’ There’s a really good energy like that. The danger is currently the storage medium (DVD), and one we thing we’re all praying for in the next round of hardware is that they don’t just go, ‘It’s DVD again’. We’ve done some clever stuff with compressing it, but we were virtually full on the disc with Vice City – this time we’re overfilling the disc to the max.”

While Blu Ray is an advantage, and a cool one, that guy is a liar. No GTA ever filled a DVD, not GTA ever went above DVD5.

Actually GTA SA didn't even filled a DVd5

Phoenix

Considering that the average X360 seems to only last long enough to play an episode, this is probably a good thing.

Tieno

chespace said:
To be honest, I'm surprised Take Two haven't announced GTA for Wii. If you can do a proper GTA on PSP, you can do a bang-up job on Wii.

That would indeed be sensational news, if confirmed.

Tobor

chespace said:

Maybe at E3? GTA Stories double pack for Wii or something?

I'm a fan of news. So this is good.

Norml

Tieno said:
It's a challenge, I guess, but I'll take Rockstar's word on that both versions will be pretty much identical. Problems can be solved.

I beleive they will be the same because PS3 version is downgraded, he prayed for no DVD.

Gowans

People really need to read what they are talking about before they post, some guys might as well be posting in the playstation forums. (ohh gona have a look)

sure we'll here more in the E3 announcements if this is locked tight, not long to go.

Top Bottom