• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes (XBLA, Developed by Treasure) [Update 2: Gameplay Video, 800 Points]

Teknoman

SAB CA said:
In the art used in the AGH game, she looks more and more like Marina from Mischief Makers... I actually rather grew to like the look, those it's pretty opposed to her original "scrawny" characterization.

Well not her body, just her face seems off. I can see the Marina comparison though.

They gotta be joking about 12 player multiplayer.
I mean WTF if they can get 12 players in VS why not at least 4 players in story mode?

12 would be a enjoyably epic clusterfuck though, especially if everyone ran with Earth/Sky Spirits.

Brannon

This is my signature game (in my mind)!

Yeah, this is getting so freakin' bought. I will warp space-time to do it if I had the ability.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I mean WTF if they can get 12 players in VS why not at least 4 players in story mode?

12 would be a enjoyably epic clusterfuck though, especially if everyone ran with Earth/Sky Spirits.
I'm guessing that the 2 player limit in story mode is a balance issue, whereas just adding more players to each side in multiplayer has less issues.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Teknoman said:
Well not her body, just her face seems off. I can see the Marina comparison though.

Yeah, but all the faces of the new guys in the rest of the AGH art look like that, so I'm kinda used to it, lol. it's like Han was fairly happy with how he drew adults, but wanted a more "modern", individualized version of cute, rather than the very 90's look his old stuff had. I also wonder if he was 100% successful, haha.

PepsimanVsJoe said:

I wonder if the Arranged or Arcade modes would allow maybe more than 2 players? Arcade sounds like a great place to try it.

Still pretty skeptical about 12 players (I guess 4 per plane to start off?), though. Though Team Town Guardian VS Team Giant Robot VS Team Sky/Earth Spirits sounds like the stuff dreams/nightmares are made of ^_^

Man this guy can't play Randy at all.
DON'T PUT POINTS INTO STRENGTH!!! =(

Summer/Fall ...Long wait for but it's for the RETURN OF THE KING...so I'll deal.

And HD mode looks great in motion.

Hey, it looks great in motion! The artwork looks sharp and combat looks very fluid and satisfying. I've been wanting to play this and Radiant Silvergun for a while now, so Kudos to Treasure for their excellent XBLA support. They've been rad this generation.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just as an easy look at some of the HD portrait art:
GHHD1.jpg
GHHD2.jpg

Just watched the video, it looks great without the filter. +1 game to get when I eventually cave in and pick up a 360.

And I haven't watched anything on Gamespot for a while, but holy Moses is the host in that video fucking boring. He's got about as much personality as a cardboard box.

SAB CA said:
Still pretty skeptical about 12 players (I guess 4 per plane to start off?), though. Though Team Town Guardian VS Team Giant Robot VS Team Sky/Earth Spirits sounds like the stuff dreams/nightmares are made of ^_^

What's really going to be fun(annoying) is teams of villagers/flying creatures/Kanons. The plane-switching doesn't properly handle these guys so it's possible to move way into the background or foreground to avoid the fight entirely.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
PepsimanVsJoe said:
What's really going to be fun(annoying) is teams of villagers/flying creatures/Kanons. The plane-switching doesn't properly handle these guys so it's possible to move way into the background or foreground to avoid the fight entirely.

Shhh, don't tell anyone that! :lol: I used to love flying RIGHT into the screen with Kanon, blocking ot all, while sending his heat-seeking layers into the BG to hit people... I don't even wanna imagine how broken such a tactic would feel online.

Guess those guys will have to get infinite ICE STUPA 3000'd from my non-descript regular mages, before they catch on...

m0dus said:
God. You guys seriously have no idea just how painful it is not to show you what we've been working on for the last three months for this game. But we are still waiting for approvals :(

Alien Soldier, Marina, the Gunstar Guys, and Silhouette Mirage as playable characters? XD
Hope you get that approval soon! ^_^ As if you can't tell, REALLY looking foward to it!

Tomasooie

Wow, the game looks absolutely PERFECT with the original graphics enabled. True widescreen and the old HUD too! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

All former naysayers, watch the Gamespot video and tremble!

I was just lamenting about not being able to play this anymore since I don't own a Saturn (my old college roommate had it). Happily looking forward to playing this again.

I get that it's Treasure doing the legwork, but what's Sega's involvement besides publishing this, if any? If they're the ones spearheading this, I can't help but wonder if there's any other Saturn games that might get resurrected and a nice new glossy coat of HD paint.

My mind reels at the possibilities...

Good lord the teasing is driving me insane.
I would murder an entire family of orphanages to be a part of this in one way or another.

Way way way way back in the past I was chilling in my house. It was an old house and while I was sitting around on a Saturday with nothing to do a mouse wanders into my room. I didn't feel like dealing with the rodent so I caught the next bus to the mall. It was there that I found Guardian Heroes(for $20, the price-point of dreams and magic) and to this day I am thankful for it.

Tomasooie

IlliterateBookworm said:
I was just lamenting about not being able to play this anymore since I don't own a Saturn (my old college roommate had it). Happily looking forward to playing this again.

I get that it's Treasure doing the legwork, but what's Sega's involvement besides publishing this, if any? If they're the ones spearheading this, I can't help but wonder if there's any other Saturn games that might get resurrected and a nice new glossy coat of HD paint.

My mind reels at the possibilities...
Sega own the Guardian Heroes IP, so Treasure can't do this without them.

Cipherr

Its perfect, they did it. They really fucking did it. OMG.

It would be ridiculous to rebuy a 360 for one goddamn game man. And my backlog for PC gaming is going to hit a freaking crescendo this summer.

Lord have mercy. Where will I find the time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
m0dus said:
I know that, in reality, it's probably a small thing, but I know you guys will like it...

I'd be hyped for new (GOOD!) Coverart, so... yeah, whatever's taken you three months + to work on (New Alternative Intro?)...

I was so into unlocking the characters for this game (Macho and Gambo + Godats were a pain to find!), that I went on an unofficial fast over the first 2 or 3 days of playing this... So seeing anything new for something I've enjoyed SO much is great, especially since my original Saturn + Game have seen much, MUCH better days... :( Haven't been able to play this for too long now!

Teknoman

Finally watched the video, HD mode looks awesome in motion, end of summer release sucks though. Music sounds 100% accurate though.

SAB CA said:
I'd be hyped for new (GOOD!) Coverart, so... yeah, whatever's taken you three months + to work on (New Alternative Intro?)...

I was so into unlocking the characters for this game (Macho and Gambo + Godats were a pain to find!), that I went on an unofficial fast over the first 2 or 3 days of playing this... So seeing anything new for something I've enjoyed SO much is great, especially since my original Saturn + Game have seen much, MUCH better days... :( Haven't been able to play this for too long now!

Man if they did an alternate HD anime intro with the same theme song, my brain would explode.

Tomasooie

Quality isn't ideal, as these are from the video, but:

2nq9mvl.png

303fz20.png

Filtered graphics need some tuning still. Look how dark it looks....those windows should be lit! New HUD colors are nasty, but unobtrusive (I guess what they might have been aiming for).

25oxesh.jpg

2zoluut.png

Saturn graphics mode in widescreen looks PERFECT.

Screenshot had me worried but after seeing video I'm in!
and 12 players? I remember the Saturn one having 6 players with multitap but 12 lol. It sucked in matches where everyone would pick random and someone would end up with final boss vs villagers. I'm guessing 4 players for local vs matches

Cipherr

SovietStriker said:
Screenshot had me worried but after seeing video I'm in!
and 12 players? I remember the Saturn one having 6 players with multitap but 12 lol. It sucked in matches where everyone would pick random and someone would end up with final boss vs villagers. I'm guessing 4 players for local vs matches

Seriously... 12 freaking people. They need to update the texture on that big ass smiley the girl can drop. Gonna be some major lulz dropping that motherfucker on 11 people online. And good luck slinking off to a corner to charge up and release a full screen explosion as the Undead, no way with 11 other people, they will charge your ass as soon as they see the charging animation start.

Nelo Ice

Banned
looks fun never played this before so glad to see its getting an xbla release

also damn what hasnt xbla covered this year?! the lineup just keeps getting more and more insane

Gaspode_T

I want to say something about Radiant Silvergun but I can't...just don't forget about that one too.

For GH I really think it's hard to upgrade pixelated graphics while pleasing everyone and not costing huge amount of money in re-drawing art :p

If you think just with using 1 resource (1 programmer) they probably need to sell 20K copies or something to make a profit. I don't know exact numbers of course but you guys are probably underestimating how hard it is to do something like this, especially with wonky Saturn source code as your starting point :)

I think it looks great, even the Final Fight Double Impact game looked totally different but still cool at the end of the day. I don't get the mob-style hate for the Backbone style games anyway, I have been playing SFII Turbo HD Remix and the community for that game is still very active. I got some of the other games on the recent sale and playing something like Comix Zone has been fine. You can even stretch the screen on the fly if you don't like the blue bars on the sides.

Now the main feedback on Japan message boards is "when are they going to make something new"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gaspode_T said:
Now the main feedback on Japan message boards is "when are they going to make something new"

Wonder how Gunstar Super Heroes and Advance Guardian Heroes did in Japan? XD

The Bleach DS and Wii games could count as well... Not to mention S&PII.

I'm mostly happy they're surviving, though. And they seem to have a suprisingly good amount of output, with 3 XBLA games coming out in the same year. As much as I'd love to see something new (or some fresh, Retail-shelf sequels)... being able to finally get my hands of these 3 recent releases, as downloads, kinda feels even better.

Gaspode_T said:
For GH I really think it's hard to upgrade pixelated graphics while pleasing everyone and not costing huge amount of money in re-drawing art :p

Yeah... everyone likes to dog SNKP for what they did with KoF XII, but basically NO other company has had to guts to do what they've done with XII and XIII. I don't think many people would be willing to pay the cost for what they'd probably just read as "an overglorified SNES game!" at days end, either :( (I'd pay full retail for GH in HD Pixels myself =_=)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
SAB CA said:
Wonder how Gunstar Super Heroes and Advance Guardian Heroes did in Japan? XD
Guardian Heroes Advance - 7.871 / 7.871
Gunstar Super Heroes - 5.983 / 5.983

adelante

Cipherr said:
Seriously... 12 freaking people. They need to update the texture on that big ass smiley the girl can drop. Gonna be some major lulz dropping that motherfucker on 11 people online. And good luck slinking off to a corner to charge up and release a full screen explosion as the Undead, no way with 11 other people, they will charge your ass as soon as they see the charging animation start.
HOLY SHIT i remember this! One other special move I love is her barrier attack, especially when its maxed out; freakin huge shield forcing all enemies to edges of the screen with me alone in the middle XD

Cipherr

adelante said:
HOLY SHIT i remember this! One other special move I love is her barrier attack, especially when its maxed out; freakin huge shield forcing all enemies to edges of the screen with me alone in the middle XD

Seriously.

f3dhj9.jpg

Needs to happen.

No way.
The highlight of Nicole's shield is trapping people in corners and utterly destroying them.
Online ranked matches in Guardian Heroes are going to be full of Nicole rushdown. It's going to be disgusting.

Tomasooie

Gaspode_T said:
I want to say something about Radiant Silvergun but I can't...just don't forget about that one too.

If you think just with using 1 resource (1 programmer) they probably need to sell 20K copies or something to make a profit. I don't know exact numbers of course but you guys are probably underestimating how hard it is to do something like this, especially with wonky Saturn source code as your starting point :)

I think it looks great, even the Final Fight Double Impact game looked totally different but still cool at the end of the day. I don't get the mob-style hate for the Backbone style games anyway, I have been playing SFII Turbo HD Remix and the community for that game is still very active. I got some of the other games on the recent sale and playing something like Comix Zone has been fine. You can even stretch the screen on the fly if you don't like the blue bars on the sides.
Well, stretching from the original aspect ratio is a sin to me and many others. Thankfully there's an option in the Sega Vintage Collection games to replace the blue bars with black. Boggles the mind as to why they didn't do this for the Genesis collection as well -- there you just have to suck it up and deal with their shitty border art. They could've at least used the bezel art for the arcade games.

In the end, I'm glad they let you use the original graphics on Guardian Heroes. I understand the need to make it sharper, as the average consumer might not appreciate huge pixels on their HDTV, but with old 2D games it's either you redraw it faithfully (which would be expensive and might not even turn out to be all that faithful) or bust. Because no matter what filtering algorithms you use, you're always going to lose something from the original pixel art. Not only that, but the lines, while smoother and sharper, always look awkward because you can still make out how they follow the original pixels. So there's a smooth jagginess to everything, which looks off.

The bottom line is: people should not fear pixels in 2D games, they should embrace them. In 3D/vector games -- go ahead, increase the resolution, there's a 100% benefit to doing that, but for 2D games, you either lose the original artistry and redraw, or apply filters which have very few benefits at a high cost.

So forget "HD" 2D games (ports/emulations of old ones, at least). Just upscale it properly and it will still look beautiful. Preserve the original artwork, don't throw it a blender. Of course, options -- like the ones this game will give you, are ultimately ideal. Thank you, Treasure and Sega.

Top Bottom