• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the galaxy, is this movie really good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyEyes

Hi,
I still haven't got the chance to see this movie, and from what I've read and seen it may easily fit my taste (especially for the setting).

I have some friends who *loved* it and others that didn't really like it.

Now, all those people who didn't like it had pretty convincing reasons/opinions, but a quick look at imdb and rotten tomatoes makes me scratch my head... Looks like the majority of the public loved this.

I want to try here asking fellow gaffers a genuine opinion about this movie, but most important the main reason(s) why it is so good.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit : Since my movies backlog is huge i'm trying to catch up by watching a new movie every 2 days, however I didn't really find so great the latest superhero movies I watched (Ironman 3 and Avengers 2) so I don't want to "waste" my tomorrow movie day.

Edit 2 : Since this movie in the entourage of friends and colleagues, has "divided" more than other superhero movies, I thought it could be interesting and useful to have even more opinions.

Neoxon

I consider the film to be the top of the MCU, tied with Winter Soldier. This is mainly because of the character interaction between the main 5 Guardians, the humor, the music, & the visuals. It's also one of the most unique of the MCU films, as it goes balls-deep into the space opera genre (besides the obligatory Infinity Stone story arc advancement for the MCU as a whole). It's just an overall fun movie, & one of the few films I've seen more than twice in theaters (& bought on Blu-Ray).

In short, just watch it.

LiK

it's GREAT. watch it man. fun movie with good characters, great music and lots of good jokes. Also, the action isn't bad.

Luke_Wal

I've said it once and I've said it again: if I was 10 when I saw this, it would've been what Star Wars is to me now.

It's a middle-of-the-road film on par with your average Marvel matinee that you'll forget the plot details to a week after you've seen it.

Whoops. I mean it's a film shifting the cinematic landscape of Hollywood.

Dabanton

It's worth watching once but it's a very childish movie which is why I'm not surprised kids love it so much.

It's Thor 2 levels for me. Watch once and forget it,

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's ok. I didn't consider the action particularly good. Winter Soldier has better action scenes (the earlier ones, the last battle is hot cgi garbage). There are some laughs in Guardians of the Galaxy but they're only mildly amusing.

Troy

Banned
I hate superhero movies but this movie is different enough that I found it really enjoyable. Enough so that I even bought the bluray, which I only do when I really love something enough to watch it more than a couple times.

Neoxon

It's worth watching once but it's a very childish movie which is why I'm not surprised kids love it so much.

It's Thor 2 levels for me. Watch once and forget it,
Not sure about childish, as there's quite a few things that are inappropriate for kids. But to each their own.

Fusebox

Banned
Like, I have the blu ray here, I've already put it in the player but I'm not gonna hit play until I get at least 3 pages of people telling me how great it is. VALIDATE MY CHOICES!!!

You're acting like it's a life or death decision or if you're about to invest all of your money into something. Just watch the damn flick, it's not like 2 hours are really valuable to you.

Dabanton

Not sure about childish, as there's quite a few things that are inappropriate for kids. But to each their own.

Like what? It's a very slap sticky movie. There's nothing wrong with a movie being childish.

I just think they went a little overboard with it in this one.

I don't care about Marvel movies or anything really, and I enjoyed this one front to back. Really well put together lighthearted action movie.

Neoxon

Like what? It's a very slap sticky movie. There's nothing wrong with a movie being childish.

I just think they went a little overboard with it in this one.
I meant more on the idea of this movie being kid-friendly, which it isn't (or at least less so than most MCU films).

This thread is going to be disproportionally filled with Marvel fans telling you how great the movie is. Don't expect objective responses, OP.

Neol

Its fun and enjoyable.

If you hate Marvel/superhero movies then this would be the one you watch as it gives more of a people dicking around in space feel.

Crud

Banned
It's a middle-of-the-road film on par with your average Marvel matinee that you'll forget the plot details to a week after you've seen it.

Whoops. I mean it's a film shifting the cinematic landscape of Hollywood.

No lies detected. I forgot the plot when I walked out the theatre. It was nothing.

MultiCore

It's not very smart, and a lot of the jokes are cheesy/obvious, especially Bautista's stuff, but I've paid more to get less.

Jme

It's good for the following reasons:

- Well done big budget film. Looks very nice. Good production quality.
- Amazing soundtrack
- Very funny but also lots of action. An enjoyable mix
- You (at least most people) don't know the characters. There aren't any pre-conceived notions of how they should look/act/etc. In other words, it's a fresh story and cast of characters to take in.
- Unconventional team of underdogs are always a fun time.

Shmuppers

It's pretty non-offensive for a summer blockbuster. You wouldn't really be missing out on much, but it's a fun movie if you're into that

Overall I can't stand MCU movies but this was a damn fun sci if adventure. Loved the tree guy and the muscle dude. Lots of laughs but never goes full on camp. Lived up to the hype for me.

Daedardus

It's the very definition of 'good'. I did not find it very memorable or to be classified as the best of Marvel movies, but it was really enjoyable and the setting was a fresh experience for those who aren't into comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom