• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Civil War was pretty much an Avengers film. That's another film I have issues with much like Age of Ultron. It tried to combine TWS with Avengers and for me it fell flat because of the 3rd act and the whole Tony Cap aspect they forced on us. Remember that ''I thought we were friends'' line ? That took me right out of it. I never once thought he was a friend. Even in the Avengers films they were more enemies than friends. It's pretty much another Avengers 3rd act but this time with even more tension between those two. I actually like the first Cap movie more than the 3rd because it was more its own thing.

It ends up with Cap losing his leadership of the Avengers and him having to leave the team altogether, he also loses his friendship with Tony. Howw is that the same outcome as any other Marvel movie? The other two Avengers films ended with them shaking hands and still friends. Sure they both aren't best friends but they were still friends. Like any normal friendship they quarrelled but they always forgive in the end.

Even the villain survived, only other one is Loki.

I enjoyed the first but it's definitely towards the bottom for me of MCU films. I will still go see the sequel in theaters to see if I end up liking it more than the first.

MarveI

It ends up with Cap losing his leadership of the Avengers and him having to leave the team altogether, he also loses his friendship with Tony. The other two Avengers films ended with them shaking hands and still friends. Sure they both aren't best friends but they were still friends.

He never had one to begin with.

mjc

I think it's fascinating seeing the flip from people not knowing who the GotG are, to looking at this film with super high expectations. Kinda proves how Gunn and Marvel succeeded in the first place.

N7.Angel

Not as good as the first one, not surprising at all but I'm still seeing it, because the first one was the first Marvel movie I really like after the first viewing ( and I have already bought the tickets ...)

SpaceWolf

Banned
Nope. Not even remotely.

Cap & Black Widow are friends.
Cap & Bucky are friends.
Cap & Falcon are friends.

Cap & Tony are colleagues at best.

What are you basing this on, exactly? The fact we haven't explicitly see that friendship play out on screen, unlike those other examples?

Kalentan

GOTG vs GOTG2
91 RT vs 92 RT
7.8 vs 7.5

Honestly not bad thus far. I guess once even more review comes in we will see if it can stay in the 90s and whether or not the average rating goes higher or lower.

Regardless as it is, that is a dip but not massive. It's not like it became a 6/10 or 5/10. Still in the 7/10 ballpark.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Not even remotely.

Cap & Black Widow are friends.
Cap & Bucky are friends.
Cap & Falcon are friends.

Cap & Tony are colleagues at best.

You know, just because we don't see them casually hanging out (Iron Man 3 post/mid credit scene) on screen doesn't mean that they don't hang out between the movies.

GOTG vs GOTG2
91 RT vs 92 RT
7.8 vs 7.5

Honestly not bad thus far. I guess once even more review comes in we will see if it can stay in the 90s and whether or not the average rating goes higher or lower.

Regardless as it is, that is a dip but not massive. It's not like it became a 6/10 or 5/10. Still in the 7/10 ballpark.
Reading this thread you would think the RT score was sub 70s

He never had one to begin with.

tumblr_inline_npe2xp4fn21sxn2ag_500.gif

Solo

That doesn't sound.....very good. Sounds like they took sequel 101 approach of bigger, louder, funnier (but not really) and more expensive, and in doing so, lost the essence of what made the first one good.

Alienous

I never understood what people saw in the first movie, so with this seemingly being not as good I think it might be the first Marvel movie I skip watching during its theatrical run. Even in the trailers the humor didn't seem to be landing.

jett

D-Member
Hmm, the trailers made it look more fun than the first one. I didn't like GOTG1 that much so maybe I'll wait for video this time around.

Seems to be pretty negative in here despite the pretty positive reviews. Bailing out as someone on page 2 mentioned spoilers out already. Excited for my Friday the 5th tickets!

valeo

That...was disappointing.

It was always going to have to work harder to provide the same laughs as the first as I knew what was coming this time going into it - but the worst critique I can give is that it was almost instantly forgettable as soon as I walked out of the theatre.

It didn't hit any of the marks it went for. The only thing that was better than the first was Baby Groot, who was easily the highlight. Most jokes fell flat. The action wasn't great. Any tension was undercut by predictable, unfunny jokes - resorting to toilet humour etc

It's not that it was a bad movie; it just wasn't anywhere near the first.

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed after been so hyped from a first installment before. Maybe the second Matrix?

Surprisngly I liked the Gamora/Nebula stuff, though - thought that rang true, unlike much of the movie.

Blader

Not sure how to feel about these reviews since I:

a) liked the first one, but was always really perplexed by the "A MODERN CLASSIC" praise around it (then and now).

b) generally like Marvel sequels, except Thor 2 which I've disliked from day one. Yes, I really dig Age of Ultron and think Iron Man 2 is fine even though I get the big issues with that one.

I wonder how the sequel plays for people who liked the first movie but weren't insanely gaga over it.

MarveI

This will be my last post on this subject as it's derailed the thread.

FFGzyIw.jpg

1ttIFUX.gif

0XHAXuo.gif

Great friends indeed.
I'm baffled how people can think their relationship, within the MCU, can be even remotely viewed as friends. Guess being a hardcore MCU fan makes you think differently about certain things within the MCU.
I always viewed their relationship as colleagues working together to fight a common goal with a lot of fighting, arguing within. Nothing more nothing less.

Solo

Seems to be pretty negative in here despite the pretty positive reviews. Bailing out as someone on page 2 mentioned spoilers out already. Excited for my Friday the 5th tickets!

Lol "not quite as good as the first" means "so bad" to a lot of people for some reason

Are you guys actually reading the reviews? The "negativity" isn't because it's not as good as the first, it's because most of these reviews are saying that it feels like less fun retread of the first.

DeSo

Banned
Are you guys actually reading the reviews? The "negativity" isn't because it's not as good as the first, it's because most of these reviews are saying that it feels like less fun retread of the first.
...What's the difference?

GAMEPROFF

Banned

FFGzyIw.jpg

1ttIFUX.gif

0XHAXuo.gif

Great friends indeed.

Two of these gifs are from when everything was already about to escelate. One of the pictures are from when they meet for the first time. Also, good for you and your friends for never ever disagreeing.

This will be my last post on this subject as it's derailed the thread
Good idea, since you are wrong.

SpaceWolf

Banned

FFGzyIw.jpg
A confrontation shortly after the characters literally first met each other, before they became friends....

A sarcastic comment meant in good humour, during a good-natured conversation...

The climatic confrontation in a film that literally revolves around the deterioration of said friendship....

Like, dude are you honestly being serious? Or are you being intentionally obtuse?

Solo

...What's the difference?

What they could have done:

Make a sequel that did for Cap 1 what The Winter Soldier did - be a fresh, creative, energetic, bold new take on the material that turns everything on its head in the most wonderful way.

What it appears they did:

Sounds like they took sequel 101 approach of bigger, louder, funnier (but not really) and more expensive, and in doing so, lost the essence of what made the first one good.

Yeah...The reviews mostly speak pretty positively overall and are noting it attempts to do a lot of what the first movie did but doesn't hit all the same highs as successfully. So it sounds like it's not as good as the first movie but not a huge drop by any means.

DeSo

Banned
Eh, Cap 1 was so average they could only go up from it.

GotG is close to the best Marvel flick, was always gonna be tough to one-up it.

What they could have done:

Make a sequel that did for Cap 1 what The Winter Soldier did - be a fresh, creative, energetic, bold new take on the material that turns everything on its head in the most wonderful way.

What it appears they did:

At least they had a script, which puts it over Iron Man 2. Maybe Gunn will step out of the GotG comfort zone try something a little different for GotG 3.

Haines

Banned
Disappointed to read it's a retread with less fun. Still going to watch it.

I can't say I'm surprised. Making a hit isn't always easy as people assume

black070

FFGzyIw.jpg

1ttIFUX.gif

0XHAXuo.gif

Great friends indeed.
I'm baffled how people can think their relationship, within the MCU, can be even remotely viewed as friends. Guess being a hardcore MCU fan makes you think differently about certain things within the MCU.
I always viewed their relationship as colleagues working together to fight a common goal with a lot of fighting, arguing within. Nothing more nothing less.

Lol, atleast you tried.

OldRoutes

Yeap. So weird. I guess it's because some of the negative reviews are at the top of the OP?

The negative reviews are a shame, but I'm still excited for it however. I do wonder though, how much of it is due to the paradigm shift in superhero movies that "Logan" and "Deadpool" spearheaded. I don't want to sound like a crazy MCU fan, but all the Marvel movies have been very cookie cutter with their plots and I'm hoping this means reviewers are calling that out so that Studios can actually change the mold they've cast all their stories in so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom