• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge to close. Sony makes changes to European studios structure

El-Suave

That makes me seriously doubt there will be any more meaningful first party effort put into PS VR. Rigs is top notch and the closest thing to a full AAA retail product there is on the platform. You don't throw devs with VR experience like this under the bus if you're seriously investing into software for the platform.

Ashtar

Man that sucks never played mercs or rigs but they seemed interesting, sucks for those affected. I don't know why these console manufacturers love closing studios so much.
I guess they tried to sell them and no dice, Ubi could have picked me up they don't have a marquee mp shooter but I guess at this stage the market is over saturated

jsnepo

Sony, why didn't you just give them the Killzone games moving forward? What they did with Mercenary is excellent.

Takao

Banned
Brexit.

How did RIGS do?

Wonder if Brexit played a role in the decision here.

Could this have anything to do with Brexit?

Over the last five years Sony has essentially eradicated their UK development studios. BigBig, Liverpool, Evolution, and now Cambridge have all been shuttered. London got gutted. This likely has little to do with the current political landscape, beyond the lack of any government funded incentives to keep the studios open. It appears Sony is whittling down their lineup of internal projects. If Days Gone flops, I'm certain Bend will be next.

I see the 'Jump To Conclusions' mat was a popular Christmas gift last month due to some posts in here...

Also, anyone saying "should have been (insert any other studio here)" needs to have some serious perspective. Jesus.

kadotsu

Banned
Too much downsizing in Europe for my liking. Especially when most of those devs worked on non viable platforms. It would be different if they had failed on PS4 but you can't blame a dev for a game not selling enough on Vita or VR. I hope at some point Sony starts building studios again. Eastern Europe would be a good place to invest in.

I think sony's spending and investments in other 3rd party IP/Kojima play a part.

They are likely on a budget of sort that alots to what they spend on development/exclusives. Once they are nearing that they are making cuts.

I hope it is the last but I feel unlikely.

jett

D-Member
That's just fucked. Is PSVR going to go the way of the Move then? I don't see another reason for killing a quality studio that could've continued working on VR titles.

Fularu

Banned
And still over 5M...

o franchise has seen increased sales from the PS3 to PS4 generation unless heavily packed in (like Uncharted 4). Also with how long it's been in developpement and the licensing costs of the cars, GTS can't be a cheap game to make, anyway I won't derail the thread but it's interesting how some studios remain despite their lack of releases while others get closed after a single bomb (or sometimes, none).

Alienous

That's just fucked. Is PSVR going to go the way of the Move then? I don't see another reason for killing a quality studio that could've continued working on VR titles.

I do expect it to go the way of the Move and 3D Support on PS3. Sony really don't stay invested in entertainment for peripherals for long.

Absolutely fucking awful, hope everyone there finds employment quickly.

This gen has been a disaster for British game development, and it pisses me off that we have such a technophobic, private capitalist driven government that doesn't do as much as so many other countries to work with studios and publishers to ensure these jobs stay in the UK and thrive like they even used to.

Wow, another UK studio bites the dust. London Studio and Media Molecule are all that's left now, right?

Cambridge had a really long legacy of being among Sony's more technically accomplished developers, so I hope they can land on their feet quickly.

They also have Manchester Studio, who are also making VR games, so... yay?! I can't imagine London Studio are in a very good place right now either, as they've been tied to fucking niche hardware for years now. They need to get on and develop a proper core game again.

Man, why would they close this studio? They just delivered a new game.

They talk about redundancies, but was it really that bad?

Because PSVR wasn't a big hit, regardless of what people may think or the fact that it's selling better than Vive and Rift. RIGS always had a fairly limited potential audience.

o franchise has seen increased sales from the PS3 to PS4 generation unless heavily packed in (like Uncharted 4). Also with how long it's been in developpement and the licensing costs of the cars, GTS can't be a cheap game to make, anyway I won't derail the thread but it's interesting how some studios remain despite their lack of releases while others get closed after a single bomb (or sometimes, none).

l o l

This gen has been rough for this kind of studio, which is a damn shame and I sadly expect the same fate to happen with other devs. Not a good time to be making games it seems.

Too much downsizing in Europe for my liking. Especially when most of those devs worked on non viable platforms. It would be different if they had failed on PS4 but you can't blame a dev for a game not selling enough on Vita or VR. I hope at some point Sony starts building studios again. Eastern Europe would be a good place to invest in.

I doubt that Sony had huge expectations for sales of their last two games. More likely they were given smaller games in order to minimize production costs as a way to keep the studio close to profitable. That said, in the end these things always come down to business. The UK appears to be too expensive of a country in which one can profitably run a smaller development studio.

This is an industry that is always in flux and it seems that, outside of a small handful of development studios, there is little long term stability anymore.

Man, I never played any of their games! Not one. >__>

This gen has been rough for this kind of studio, which is a damn shame and I sadly expect the same fate to happen with other devs. Not a good time to be making games it seems.

Has there been an increase? Studios closing has been a continuous thing for as far as I can remember.

Hasney

Because PSVR wasn't a big hit, regardless of what people may think or the fact that it's selling better than Vive and Rift. RIGS always had a fairly limited potential audience.

It's still difficult to keep on shelves, meaning it's as big of a hit as Sony was expecting, so it's not that.

We don't know software sales, so maybe RIGS didn't do well in comparison to the VR headsets, but unless Sony set them up to fail, it's not the actual performance of the headset.

Best handheld FPS I have ever played. Damn shame.

I never thought that I could really enjoy an FPS on a handheld until I played Mercs. Great game, and I still play a few rounds online or with bots when I have some time to kill.

It's troubling to see the direction which Sony has taken with its UK studios over the past several years, though I imagine there are various factors at play which has led to cutting back on the number of studios they have here. It can't be a good sign for VR either.

Hopefully those affected manage to find work pretty quickly.

Goddamn Sony, seriously? Really not a good look. They're slashing studios left right and centre, while I don't hear of me new larger ones opening elsewhere. Where do all these newly jobless devs go? Feel terrible for then, the job market must be Very cutthroat especially now. Best of luck to those affected :( UK market going down the drain like Australia's did. Surely due in part to Brexit.

Occam

Over the last five years Sony has essentially eradicated their UK development studios. BigBig, Liverpool, Evolution, and now Cambridge have all been shuttered. London got gutted. This likely has little to do with the current political landscape, beyond the lack of any government funded incentives to keep the studios open. It appears Sony is whittling down their lineup of internal projects. If Days Gone flops, I'm also certain Bend will be next.

Yeah, and that landscape is going to get a whole lot worse. Thanks, Brexiters! I wonder if Sony will eventually relocate most development to continental Europe.

"Guerrilla Games Amsterdam, developer of Horizon: Zero Dawn and the Killzone series, will not be affected."

Guymelef

I guess VR is not nearly profitable enough to have bigger studios working on it

It doesn't make sense aim for AA games in a niche peripheral when you have to try that game at full price.
I mean Until Dawn Rush of Blood "experience" has sold like three times Rigs in Spain for example.

Lol? The game has been a packin across Europe since it came out.

You almost can't buy a PS4 without getting Uncharted 4 )either with the UC4 bundle or the UC4/IW bundle). You'd have to go for the FIFA bundle to not get it.

UC4 massively outdid the previous UC games just at launch.

You're stretching real hard and it's transparent as hell.

Mr-Joker

Banned
At this point it's pretty much obv UK games development is not cost effective. So many UK studios shutdown in the last few years. A real shame.

Hmm makes me wonder how long Rare will keeps its door open, till Microsoft decide to shut them down.

Absolutely fucking awful, hope everyone there finds employment quickly.

This gen has been a disaster for British game development, and it pisses me off that we have such a technophobic, private capitalist driven government that doesn't do as much as so many other countries to work with studios and publishers to ensure these jobs stay in the UK and thrive like they even used to.

Yeah, our government is woefully out of touch and just don't understand the modern world.

Fularu

Banned
Yeah, and that landscape is going to get a whole lot worse. Thanks, Brexiters! I wonder if Sony will eventually relocate most development to continental Europe.

"Guerrilla Games Amsterdam, developer of Horizon: Zero Dawn and the Killzone series, will not be affected."

Sony closing their UK studios has been a decade long trend, it has very little to do with Brexit at this point.

I-hate-u

So what's gonna happen to Bend or MM that have been working on their titles for 4 years if they don't perform well? Their debut wasn't exactly the best.

Top Bottom