• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla: Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer runs at 60fps "a lot of the time"

Heysoos

lol

2JH744L.png

are my eyes tricking me or is there a reason the thread titles don't completely line up? I don't know why it's bugging me.

Anyways, hopefully it's pretty damn stable at least.

Shame. It does look really damn good though, and if their claim about losing FPS when "dead or dying" is true, then it is a less of an issue.

Time will tell, obviously.

"So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60. It sounds weird, but it's actually true.

At first I was

Christian-Bale-Laughing-at-Awards-Show.gif

But then
Because usually in the moments where we're going to drop framerate, either you're already dead or it's too late anyway." Boltjes said Guerrilla decided to push the visual detail in Killzone, and accepted taking a hit in framerate as a result.

I was

mahmoud_ahmadinejad.jpg

Still smells like bullshit

BigDug13

In the latest Eurogamer Expo presentation, they said that it'll run 60fps most of the time, but cited scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" as the 60fps killer.

It falls on the stress test, basically.

Well if that's the case, isn't that true of even Call of Duty's 60fps? I mean if everyone does something crazy at the same time in multiplayer, that's the kind of "stress" you can't fully account for in system hardware, right?

velociraptor

I don't see why so many of you are complaining. I'd rather play a game with variable framerate (50-60) than a game locked at 30.

DBT85

I challenge anybody to notice, without Digital Foundry looking at it, that there are large drops.

Bold. But people on here will notice even if mainstream wont. I probably won't.

Raist

Banned
What the hell ? What is he trying to say ? The whole thing is just....

I guess that means that if you want to make absolutely sure to hold 60FPS at all times, you'd have to cut back a lot on graphics. So they prefered to maintain a good graphical level, which means that in extreme cases (like 10 people on screen spamming rockets or something) it'll drop below 60.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
are my eyes tricking me or is there a reason the thread titles don't completely line up? I don't know why it's bugging me.

Anyways, hopefully it's pretty damn stable at least.

60 fps vs. 60fps

"It's just we can't go out and say we're always 60, because that's lying. We're very close. And I challenge anybody to notice, without Digital Foundry looking at it, that there are large drops."
Meh

If the framerate goes to hell when a dozen people throw grenades at the same spot, that's to be expected. Just depends on how low it drops.

Skeff

How is "sometimes dropping frames" better than "never dropping frames."

God I hate PR speak.

Because you'd need to destroy certain effects to get constant 60fps.

BTW, there are a lot of 60fps games this gen that are 60 fps about half the time or less, no where near most of the time.

Gestault

"Running 60 has become this Holy Grail. Suddenly people think if you run 60 your game is better. Technically, that's not really true. But what it does do is it makes decisions go from input to on-screen a lot easier. "So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60. It sounds weird, but it's actually true."

Interesting. And by interesting, I mean an indefensibly silly thing to say.

jlJXkeo.png

For the record, aside from the unfortunate choice of words, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this scenario. A game playing between 55-60 the vast majority of the time is a very good thing. Frame drops during moments of intense action should be expected in general and depending on the sort of "action" we're talking about, doesn't necessarily hurt the flow of gameplay.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That sounds like the reality of just about any game ever that's claimed 60fps in the first place (on consoles). They almost always have drops at some point.

I'm more interested to hear that there's a higher degree of destructibility in the SP. Haven't really seen much of that yet in the footage shown so far.

The funniest thing is people are going to gloss over the worse quote in this comment.

"our A.I is stupid"

And why cant you improve it? Why has no shooter attempted something like ghost data at least?

I don't see why so many of you are complaining. I'd rather play a game with variable framerate (50-60) than a game locked at 30.

Sure. But stable 60fps is still better than almost always 60fps. So some people are disappointed that they can't reach that. And they could have worded this better, beginning with "framerate drops when you are dead or it is already too late" rather than almost always 60fps is better than always 60fps.

btkadams

we need to find out how much it drops. if it's 50-60 fps, then i'd rather them keep it the way it is. if it drops below that...i'd rather have locked 30.

Krakn3Dfx

Most "60fps" FPS titles are like this, GG is just one of the few that acknowledges it. It'll be fine.

It's hilarious that basically they are being honest about it, and at the same time most games that ship at 60fps drop frames and nothing is said :D

Exactly, Call of Duty at 60fps is never 100% 60fps all of the time, and yet no one ever says shit.

Let no good deed go without a shitstorm.

Stoffinator

Shouldn't these machines be able to do 1080p 60fps with out much hassle? And would like to know what they mean by "most of the time"? I would think its more noticeable to see frame rate drops at a higher frame rate than lower, lets say 30fps?

Kind of disappointing news really. :-s

It's hilarious that basically they are being honest about it, and at the same time most games that ship at 60fps drop frames and nothing is said :D

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The funniest thing is people are going to gloss over the worse quote in this comment.

"our A.I is stupid"

And why cant you improve it? Why has no shooter attempted something like ghost data at least?

......What?

They're saying their AI isn't stupid..

" It's not because our AI is stupid, but because you simply have more time to react. We said we don't need 60, and we want the graphical push."

If the drops only occurs occasionally during say when there are multiple nearby explosions happening at the same time, I wouldn't be too bothered. Now if it occurs during fire fights, then it's a serious problem.

The problem with this interview is that you really need to watch the presentation session to understand the full picture.

WTF? This makes no sense. Just lock it at 30 if you can't keep stable 60FPS

His statement was out-of-context.

In the presentation, he stated that the game was pretty much 60fps already. But they said that there will be situations like "24 grenades going off at the same time with 24 players" that will kill the 60fps framerate.

When that happens, you're most likely dead anyway.

velociraptor

Sure. But stable 60fps is still better than almost always 60fps. So some people are disappointed that they can't reach that. And they could have worded this better, beginning with "framerate drops when you are dead or it is already too late" rather than almost always 60fps is better than always 60fps.
I would rather 'almost 60fps' than 60fps and downgraded graphics.

Fact is, this is a million times better than Killzone being an 'almost 30FPS' game.

Shouldn't these machines be able to do 1080p 60fps with out much hassle? And would like to know what they mean by "most of the time"? I would think its more noticeable to see frame rate drops at a higher frame rate than lower, lets say 30fps?

Kind of disappointing news really. :-s

Apparently this title is almost always at 60fps. And it is probably the best looking game I have ever seen, so this is not the title I would point to if discussing the next gen consoles being underpowered.

Wagram

I can deal with it as long as it isn't too bad or noticeable. I do like that they're not cutting down the resolution on multiplayer though.

VanWinkle

WTF? This makes no sense. Just lock it at 30 if you can't keep stable 60FPS

Sorry, but if it only drops from 60 fps when I'm dead or 24 people are blowing up from a grenade, I'LL TAKE THE 60. Pretty much EVERY 60fps game will have the occasional drops. They're just being more honest about it.

I'm complaining about the choice of words. They are honest about it dropping frames, and then say 'it's actually no different'. Of course it's different. They should have simply said 'there are times where it can drop, but we are doing all we can to keep it as fluid as possible', instead of claiming that there is no difference between locked 60 and 60 with drops.

Top Bottom