• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla: Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer runs at 60fps "a lot of the time"

oh so it'll be like in MGS4 or inFAMOUS where if you're in a really small enclosed area or there's not much on screen the frame rate will bump up to 60 and it looks beautiful and you'll wish the whole game ran like that and then you see more shit on screen and it's back down to 30.

what a fucking cock tease.

Beardz

We did this on purpose because when everything happen so much, you know like explosions, glass, light, boxes and trees, we want you to feel the cinematic feeling™, you know like in the movies and shit. And you know? Who cares because if you're in the middle of everything I'm sure you're pretty much dead so yeah, you can see everything one frame at a time, like photos of your past memories, we call this technology "the nostalgic filter™" which we at GG are so proud of it.

Guerrilla Games are GODS!

Why not drop the resolution instead of frames in those certain situations like Wipeout or Dead Rising 3?

He literally said that they're prioritising graphical quality, so they obviously would sacrifice some framerate drops rather than resolution.

From what I can gather from his talk + interview, he's basically spinning it by implying "scenarios where KZ: SF will drop frames are crazy explosive that you're probably dead by then anyway. Who cares if it drops a few frames for those few seconds?"

A poor response, all things considered, but alas.

Mokubba

The problem with this interview is that you really need to watch the presentation session to understand the full picture.

His statement was out-of-context.

In the presentation, he stated that the game was pretty much 60fps already. But they said that there will be situations like "24 grenades going off at the same time with 24 players" that will kill the 60fps framerate.

When that happens, you're most likely dead anyway.

Ah That makes more sense but he did word it strangely.

velociraptor

No matter what they did people were going to be complaining.
If they went solely for 60fps over everything = "Man why doesn't this look nearly as nice as single player?

If they dropped it to 30fps = "UGGHHH I can't stand 30 fps! It is just so slow and sluggish.

If they dropped the resolution = "LOL superweak consoles can't even manage 1080p
This.

"We didn't want to make any graphical concessions. We didn't want to say, we can run at 60 constantly if we just half the resolution and take out all the destructibility and remove all the glass, for example. We didn't want to do that. We wanted to keep it really pretty and try to make it 60."

Skeff

Can't believe people in here are actually trying to justify this as okay. It's like framerate drops were bad until Sony somehow convinced you they weren't

I would be surprised if you could show us many truely locked 60fps games on PS360. without some form of visual compromise such as variable resolution.

I'll save you some time, all of the CoD games have dips.

Well be interesting to see what the game plays like though. Killzone has never been anything above 30fps IIRC.

Can't wait for impressions in another month and a half.

spisho

Neo Member
Please, shut up.
It helps not to read selectively. Games don't run predictably, so you can have 60fps except in edge cases or you can sacrifice detail and dynamic destruction just to avoid going sub 60 a small percentage of the time.

oh so it'll be like in MGS4 or inFAMOUS where if you're in a really small enclosed area or there's not much on screen the frame rate will bump up to 60 and it looks beautiful and you'll wish the whole game ran like that and then you see more shit on screen and it's back down to 30.

Watch the damn the presentation first.

He said that the only scenarios where framerate will drop is when crazy shit happens ( like 20+ grenades going off at the same time in a full lobby ).

Other than that, it's 60fps.

Yep. That's what he said. He surely didn't mention that it only dropped under unusually high load situations, like everyone throwing a grenade at you at the same time.

READ. THE. FUCKING. ARTICLE. Enough with this kneejerk reaction.

oh so it'll be like on internet forums where if you're in a really small enclosed thread the IQ will bump up and it's beautiful and you'll wish everyone thought through their posts like that and then you see more people in a thread and it's back down to idiot levels

EDIT: Technically it's a presentation. Just before that ad hominem pops up.

Skeff

I don't think you read the examples of what would put it under 60fps.

FirewalkR

IIRC, In the E3 build there were drops in the forest map when outside with little action and enemies on screen. As long as it's been optimized so that it drops only when there's a lot of explosions and chaos around you... it's ok I guess. It seemed to need quite a bit of optimization at the time, though.

Guymelef

In the latest Eurogamer Expo presentation, they said that it'll run 60fps most of the time, but cited scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" as the 60fps killer.

It falls on the stress test, basically.

So... just like any "60 fps" console Call of Duty.

Not even call of duty is solid 60fps. Things blow up like crazy. You get an airstrike dropped on you and the frame rate drops. Oh well, because you're already dead.

This seems to be the case here. At least that's what it sounds like.

BigDug13

He is objectively wrong, locked 60fps is factually better, it doesn't warrant uneven frame pulldown.

It's nearly impossible to "lock 60" in a multiplayer shooter. You can't possibly account for every scenario. If 16 dudes all throw grenades on your screen at the same time, I don't care if you "locked 60", you aren't getting 60.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with you that those moments are a brutal, brutal tease and make me wish the whole game was 60 ;(

Orayn

Can't believe people in here are actually trying to justify this as okay. It's like framerate drops were bad until Sony somehow convinced you they weren't

Framerate drops are bad, they're also very hard to avoid completely. Even competitive fighting games, the genre where framerate is arguably the most important, wind up dropping frames from time to time.

Sorry, but if it only drops from 60 fps when I'm dead or 24 people are blowing up from a grenade, I'LL TAKE THE 60. Pretty much EVERY 60fps game will have the occasional drops. They're just being more honest about it.

This sounds less like that and more like theyre aiming at 60 but it's going to be a variable framerate at times. I'll take it, though. Nothing can be worse than playing BLOPS1 on the PS3.

Liamario

Banned
And I'm out. They've saved me some money. Having framerate drops is a complete turn off for me and I would rather a solid 30 than and unstable 60fps. Not interested Guerilla.

I actually love what they said. To paraphrase "If frames be dropping, you're already dead"

Not being able to guarantee constant 60fps is understandable given MP is unpredictable and not controlled like SP

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's nearly impossible to "lock 60" in a multiplayer shooter. You can't possibly account for every scenario. If 16 dudes all throw grenades on your screen at the same time, I don't care if you "locked 60", you aren't getting 60.

You can plan for it. It's just as controllable as single player, you just have to know the limits of what can be done.

GameSeeker

As has been pointed out there are some situations, e.g., "24 players throwing 24 grenades going off at once" that will cause frame rate dips below 60fps.

The same type of situations will cause frame rate dips in CoD or BF4.

Skeff

Yep. That's what he said. He surely didn't mention that it only dropped under unusually high load situations, like everyone throwing a grenade at you at the same time.

oh so it'll be like on internet forums where if you're in a really small enclosed thread the IQ will bump up and it's beautiful and you'll wish everyone thought through their posts like that and then you see more people in a thread and it's back down to idiot levels

1049.gif

Fredrik

Ehh, not ideal. It's cool that they achieved 60 FPS for the most part, but frame drops are so jarring, I'd rather it just be a stable 30 FPS.
Same here, I'm known for wanting 60fps in just about every game no matter what genre it is, but not if the result is framedrops, it just feel like the game is rushed and badly optimized, especially with all the talk about how powerful and developer friendly the console is. Depends if it's 60fps 99% or 50% of the time of course.

And I'm out. They've saved me some money. Having framerate drops is a complete turn off for me and I would rather a solid 30 than and unstable 60fps. Not interested Guerilla.

Dude.... Read the quote above you.

Qassim

I don't mind - it still looks and feels better than a constant 30 - unless there is huge variance in framerate (which it doesn't sound like there will be).

So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60.

lol

heelo

Banned
Not that this (occasional sub-60 fps) really matters, but LOL at all the console warriorz who were hanging their hat on that 1080p@60fps figure.

The game is going to look great, period.

BigDug13

You can plan for it. It's just as controllable as single player, you just have to know the limits of what can be done.

With the amount of destructable environments plus crazy graphics, yeah to account for everything to keep 60, they would have to significantly reduce those things to account for the rare 16 grenade screen.

Answer me this. Does Call of Duty multiplayer maintain 60 fps in every situation?

So I guess we're talking similar terms to like BF3 on consoles running at 30FPS for the most part?

Yes. That's exactly what is in the presentation. I'm so glad everyone reads the OP. /s

I struggle to think of a multiplayer shooter that is absolutely LOCKED at 60fps. Can someone give me an example?

Good lord, why don't we see this kind of uproar when someone claims CoD is 60fps?

nib95

Banned
In the latest Eurogamer Expo presentation, they said that it'll run 60fps most of the time, but cited scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" as the 60fps killer.

It falls on the stress test, basically.

Yeap, which is fine by me. Sounds like they have a great balance.

Waaghals

I believe this was implicit. There was hardly a console shooter that did not have drops from 60 fps. The question is how bad these drops will be.

Will it drop to 50 on rare occasions? That's to be expected and such a game would be treated as a fully 60fps game. At least that's how it works for most other "60fps" titles.

By admitting that they do not run at a constant 60 people are (rightfully) worrying that the drops are far more frequent and bigger than those in COD etc.

Ultryx

Whoa. Well, there's the devil, in the details. I'd rather have 30fps constant, than drops from 60fps.

It's super noticeable to me, unfortunately.

GodofWine

It will all depend on the severity of drops, and what makes it drop.

If its like he said, you are in an exploding fireball and glass is shattering and sparks are flying and a building crushes you and you die at 47fps..fine.

If its noticeable just becuase there are too many people in one place (looking at you spawn grenades), and its going below 45fps, maybe sub 40, then we'll notice it.

I never noticed COD drops, so we will have to wait and see.

Top Bottom