• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla: Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer runs at 60fps "a lot of the time"

kevm3

In other words, it runs at 60 FPS unless a lot of stuff is going on. I don't mind that approach. if they downgraded the graphics to get to a constant 60fps, people would be crying about why this doesn't look nearly as nice as single player.

gemoran4

out of curiosity, how come the only two framerates that people try to lock at are 30 or 60? For example, how come this game couldn't just lock it at 50 fps or something like that?

I would rather 'almost 60fps' than 60fps and downgraded graphics.

Fact is, this is a million times better than Killzone being an 'almost 30FPS' game.

I prefer that they chose to keep the graphics at high level as well. But people were hoping to have these graphics and always 60fps, now they will sometimes drop. For me personally this is not an issue, though.

Well if that's the case, isn't that true of even Call of Duty's 60fps? I mean if everyone does something crazy at the same time in multiplayer, that's the kind of "stress" you can't fully account for in system hardware, right?

The problem is that his interview was made post-presentation, where he probably assumed everyone watched the speech where he gave the scenario of where 60fps dips will happen.

Reading his interview alone without the speech really gives a wrong impression.

Can't believe people in here are actually trying to justify this as okay. It's like framerate drops were bad until Sony somehow convinced you they weren't

boinx

Shouldn't these machines be able to do 1080p 60fps with out much hassle? And would like to know what they mean by "most of the time"? I would think its more noticeable to see frame rate drops at a higher frame rate than lower, lets say 30fps?

Kind of disappointing news really. :-s

They are, it depends on how far you are going to push the visuals. Like it has always been.

ekim

Why not drop the resolution instead of frames in those certain situations like Wipeout or Dead Rising 3?

Why the fuck are they accepting variable frame rate ? The worst thing you could do on a competitive shooter. And on a Sony first party game? Seems like they're running into power issues on the PS4...

VanWinkle

Can't believe people in here are actually trying to justify this as okay. It's like framerate drops were bad until Sony somehow convinced you they weren't

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Every 60fps console game I can THINK of has the occasional frame drop.

In console multiplayer FPS 60FPS only really matters when you are in situations where you have input from the player. If it's steady around 60 when I'm moving and shooting and then drops to 30 when I die because of some super bad ass animation sequence I'm fine with it.

I also think that that is the point they are trying to make with their statement but, it's not coming across like that to a lot of people.

Krakn3Dfx

Was it fine with every Call of Duty game with the "60fps" bulletpoint? Because it was the same in that case, they just never talked about it.

I can see this is going to be a field day for console warriors everywhere.

Skeff

out of curiosity, how come the only two framerates that people try to lock at are 30 or 60? For example, how come this game couldn't just lock it at 50 fps or something like that?

Tv's are 60 fps (Hz) so at 30fps each frame is on for 2 frames of the TV or 60 fps games are 1:1 frames (assuming Vsync)

But at 50 fps, you'd have (1 frame, 1 frame, 1 frame 1 frame, 1 frame repeated twice) and the repeated frame would look odd.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I know some of the other images say draw but shinobi602 won the thread race.

U52VyMf.png

velociraptor

In console multiplayer FPS 60FPS only really matters when you are in situations where you have input from the player. If it's steady around 60 when I'm moving and shooting and then drops to 30 when I die because of some super bad ass animation sequence I'm fine with it.

I also think that that is the point they are trying to make with their statement but, it's not coming across like that to a lot of people.
That is the impression I also am getting.

Also, KZSF was originally a 1080p30 game.

Would you guys have preferred if it ran at that framerate locked?

Why the fuck are they accepting variable frame rate ? The worst thing you could do on a competitive shooter. And on a Sony first party game? Seems like they're running into power issues on the PS4...

GG have always been an art driven studio, the need to push them graphics above all else.

Radec

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Every 60fps console game I can THINK of has the occasional frame drop.

Shhh.. Some people here thinks that every 60fps. console shooter is locked at 60.

Let them keep dreaming.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I know right!? It's not like there were frame drops in Crysis, Halo, CoD, MoH, BF3, and KZ!

Oh wait...

Moxx19

Banned
FYI, No fps in consoles is locked at 60.

I'm aware. The point still remains.

The problem with this interview is that you really need to watch the presentation session to understand the full picture.

His statement was out-of-context.

In the presentation, he stated that the game was pretty much 60fps already. But they said that there will be situations like "24 grenades going off at the same time with 24 players" that will kill the 60fps framerate.

When that happens, you're most likely dead anyway.

Hmm good point. I wonder if this is why they slashed the player count down?

Shouldn't these machines be able to do 1080p 60fps with out much hassle? And would like to know what they mean by "most of the time"? I would think its more noticeable to see frame rate drops at a higher frame rate than lower, lets say 30fps?

Kind of disappointing news really. :-s

I could run Pong at 1080px60fps pretty easily. Running Crysis 3 at that mark is a different story.

1080px60fps means nothing. It is just a base of what you want a game to run at.

GG had a certain graphic fidelity they wanted to reach with Killzone. They reached that mark, and then optimized the framerates. If they are unable to get the GPU to hold steady 60FPS then they are like every other developer out there. It is nigh impossible to keep a framerate STEADY. Nigh impossible. Too many moments where a GPU is at 70% load ... 70% load ... 70% load ... BAM 130% LOAD ... you know? Go ahead and play a PC game and turn on FRAPS or any other framerate monitor lol. You will see your FPS go up and down up and down up and down up and down all the time.

Very few pure steady as butter games out there. This is why developers should really target 70-75FPS in games. If you drop from 70-75 to 60 due to higher amounts of stuff happening on screen, your still good. But if you drop from 60 to 45 .. it is noticeable. If you drop from 30 to 15, it is unplayable. Know what I mean?

But yeah ... you can make any game out there run 1080px60fps. That means nothing. I could play Metro Last Light on well .. my GPU at 1080px60fps, would just have to make it look ... not like Metro to do it.

All GG has to do is control the drops, and not let them go too low. Drop from 60-30 would be bad, drop from 60-50 is nothing.

onQ123

"Because usually in the moments where we're going to drop framerate, either you're already dead or it's too late anyway."

WTF?

So I guess when you notice the framerate begin to dip, you know you are about to die.

I think they are just saying that it will drop for explosions & if you're near an explosion you're already dead or about to die.

lol at so many taking his words out of context. Read the entire article...

He isn't saying the frame-rate is unstable, only there are scenarios where it will drop (eg. everyone throwing a grenade at once).

Note to Killzone Devs--NEVER BE HONEST & FRANK AGAIN, THE SHEEP CAN'T HANDLE IT

lol...

Not a big deal for me. Considering a large portion of current gen games have used 30fps as the benchmark, I'm not going to get too mad about a company hitting 60fps most of the time, and I'm assuming FPS drops are probably minimal down to maybe 45fps or so. Definitely not game breakers to me.

As the next gen moves along and devs continue to learn and optimize their kits for the PS4, I think we'll see solid 60fps soon enough.

Bundy

Banned
Why not drop the resolution instead of frames in those certain situations like Wipeout or Dead Rising 3?
Because 1080p is the better option.

lol at so many taking his words out of context. Read the entire article...

He isn't saying the frame-rate is unstable, only there are scenarios where it will drop (eg. everyone throwing a grenade at once).

Note to Killzone Devs--NEVER BE HONEST & FRANK AGAIN, THE SHEEP CAN'T HANDLE IT

lol...
!

It's like people stopped reading the article at the mention of frame drops.

Did you not see where he mentioned that it only happens when a bunch of crazy shit is going on? You know, kind of how it happens in most 60fps games? Take CoD, for example. It's framerate is not a solid 60fps--but people still call it a 60fps game, don't they?

Yes, GG said something that, when taken out of context, sounds very stupid. "Constant 60fps isn't as good as 60fps" makes a bit more sense when you contextualize it with how he mentions that they'd have to severely sacrifice visual effects to ensure a solid lock when under the stress of abnormal situations (i.e. 24 grenades).

Is it disappointing that it's not confirmed as buttery-smooth 60fps guaranteed? Sure. Worth the incoming 120 page thread of console warzzz shite? Probably not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm complaining about the choice of words. They are honest about it dropping frames, and then say 'it's actually no different'. Of course it's different. They should have simply said 'there are times where it can drop, but we are doing all we can to keep it as fluid as possible', instead of claiming that there is no difference between locked 60 and 60 with drops.
It sounds like Call of Duty, basically.

... 70% load ... BAM 130% LOAD ... you know? Go ahead and play a PC game and turn on FRAPS or any other framerate monitor lol. You will see your FPS go up and down up and down up and down up and down all the time.
Not in my case. I do not accept dropped frames on the PC simply because I have the power to change it. When I play a new game I will pause and adjust settings every time I run into a dip. If I cannot reach a solid 60 with proper adjustment I limit it to 30 instead and crank up AA.

B.O.O.M

In the latest Eurogamer Expo presentation, they said that it'll run 60fps most of the time, but cited scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" as the 60fps killer.

It falls on the stress test, basically.

Yep this is what I guessed when I read the OP as well. This is GG being overly honest about the performance of the game as I think this is true for many if not all 60fps titles on consoles that have a lot going on.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Why is that necessarily better? I'm personally more aware of resolution drops than I am of framerate drops.

kevm3

No matter what they did people were going to be complaining.
If they went solely for 60fps over everything = "Man why doesn't this look nearly as nice as single player?

If they dropped it to 30fps = "UGGHHH I can't stand 30 fps! It is just so slow and sluggish.

If they dropped the resolution = "LOL superweak consoles can't even manage 1080p

I'm pretty sure the CoD games for 360 still average like 59 fps. With Guerrilla not willing to come out and say "our multi is 60 fps" (like DICE and IW) it's probably because the drops are more severe, more frequent, or both.

Top Bottom