• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla speaks on E3 Killzone video

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Did you guys know that Guerrilla has made an offical statement about the E3 video?
They say this.

First, we have stated up here before that the earlier versions of the PS3 dev kits were not final specs and we could not produce real-time at the proper frame rate on them for E3.

Second, we have stated that the video was done to specs. Let me explain something about game development. There are very, very few development teams that have the time and manpower to do every single bit of the in-game movies themselves and still get the game done. We outsource all the time. One of the benefits to having standard tools in the industry like LightWave and Maya is that you can exchange actual models, textures, etc with others using the same program. That means you can provide assets and offload the work of putting them all together to someone else.

Third, we stated that this video represents what we believe is achievable on the PS3. I'll dance around my NDA restrictions just a bit to say that I've seen graphics coming together at Guerrilla that support this claim.

Fourth, if you look at the credits for KZ1 - you'll see that we used Axis before. Doesn't it make sense to use a proven vendor when you need to outsource work? Especially when under the gun to complete something for a presentation? One who is able to work with your assets and development pipeline? Just think about it...

Fifth - if I say anymore, I risk getting chewed out by my bosses - so I'm stopping here.

So basically it wasn't real, but will probably go through the same fate of Gundam (which eventually looked like the CG video at E3). I'll buy that and say that I can't wait to see more footage of this game.

What do you guys think?

Striek

OLD!
<insert old man pic>

PS; I fucking said, whats the difference using in-game assets and outsourcing asset creation and the trailer at the same time, and I bet thats what they did. Sooo right!

Syb

How can you program a game to the final specs if you're using a dev kit which doesnt house the final specs? Im confused.

I think the graphics are achievable, animation on the other hand...

mckmas8808

Wollan said:
I think there was a thread exactly like this yesterday.

But this is the OFFICAL Gureilla response. I never seen an offical response until now.

Official Guerrilla response?

This was said yesterday on the killzone section of the playstation official boards by a killzone developer and forum moderator to close a viral thread.

It's said by a Killzone developer, but it is not an "official guerrilla response"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"How can you program a game to the final specs if you're using a dev kit which doesnt house the final specs? Im confused."

yup - i fail to see how giving art direction to an external first party NON GAME CG PRODUCING COMPANY to create a CG segment "to spec" suddenly equates to the clip being perfectly plausible on the hardware.

for a start it negates the talent base - a pro-CG company can animate the ASS out of any model - can you do that in realtime?

sorry, let me rephrase that - how do an external CG company know that the internal team have the skill to reproduce in real time the same level of AI , Animation, interaction, physics etc?

IMO, they don`t know - therefore, this is all cackcakes.

Until Guerilla produce SOMETHING moving and ingame, this is all pointless ballsack licking turd mongering.

mckmas8808

DCharlie said:
yup - i fail to see how giving art direction to an external first party NON GAME CG PRODUCING COMPANY to create a CG segment "to spec" suddenly equates to the clip being perfectly plausible on the hardware.

for a start it negates the talent base - a pro-CG company can animate the ASS out of any model - can you do that in realtime?

sorry, let me rephrase that - how do an external CG company know that the internal team have the skill to reproduce in real time the same level of AI , Animation, interaction, physics etc?

IMO, they don`t know - therefore, this is all cackcakes.

Until Guerilla produce SOMETHING moving and ingame, this is all pointless ballsack licking turd mongering.

Maybe because GG worked with them in making the video. Not technically, but directing wise. I think GG kinda knows what possible and whats not. And did you miss the part where he says that the things that he is seeing now is proves them RIGHT?

DCharlie

"Not technically, but directing wise."

... so , you agree with me right?

how does directing = technical?!

regardless - i bet a mass banning that the final game doesn`t match the CG.

mckmas8808

DCharlie said:
... so , you agree with me right?

how does directing = technical?!

regardless - i bet a mass banning that the final game doesn`t match the CG.

In what way? Animation or graphics?

DCharlie

well, there is only so much that animators, modellers etc who have worked exclusively outside of the gaming industry can understand what the limitations are.

it:s more and more common that people are coming over into games from the movie industry, but it sounds like there might be a bit of a communication problem ;)

there are some comedy misunderstandings about various things on this themes through out the industry when people come into the industry and expect performance beyond what they are used to.

for instance - one particular racing game had ex-hollywood modelleres working on it. The model for a grandstand they provided rendered every nut and bolt and even included logos on the wooden planks in the construction...

RaidenZR

Interesting timing. I just picked up Killzone for PS2 yesterday for $9 at TRU. I'm actually looking forward to trying it out, despite all the naysayers.

Wonder how the PS3 and PSP ones will differ. Are they supposed to be chronological sequels?

Draft

RaidenZR said:
Interesting timing. I just picked up Killzone for PS2 yesterday for $9 at TRU. I'm actually looking forward to trying it out, despite all the naysayers.

Wonder how the PS3 and PSP ones will differ. Are they supposed to be chronological sequels?
The PS3 version is a direct-to-video sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom