• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns" Registered as US Trademark/Patent Office

tkalamba

I really hope for a redesign of WvW.

I levelled 2 characters to 80 doing mostly WvW, but think it could use a change of pace.

So what?

He probably will just help us open that cave entrance at the end of last episode, during today's episode.

If we were going to Crystal Desert there is no way there wouldn't be something in the name of this expansion that hinted to Kralkatorrik the Crystal Dragon.

Wasn't really talking about people who loved the game and just stopped playing. I was talking about people who quit because they didn't like the game and keep suggesting things that do not make any sense for GW2 to people like me who have played for over 3000 hours.
So what you are saying is, they are going to completely ignore where the forgotten have lived for centuries just for the luz.

OK that seems likely and in no way totally unreasonable.

Lunar15

Very excited about this. I've enjoyed the Living Story, but quite frankly, I think we all really wanted an expansion at some point.

Also, if you haven't been playing recently, their design philosophies have only gotten better. They've completely dropped the "Golden Heart" nonsense and are instead focusing on dynamic maps with more community oriented goals. It's pretty neat, and closer to what they originally envisioned.

The thing I'm most excited for, though, are dungeons. Anet is best at instanced content, and all of the dungeons they've released post launch have been stellar.

As for location: Heart of Thorns implies we're going deeper into Maguuma, but a lot of the story has pushed Crystal Desert. Maybe we'll get both!

Puru

I wonder if they will get around upgrading underwater combat or if all the struggles will be in vain because Bubbles ultimately will have a free pass at destroying Tyria.

"Heart of Thorns" reminds me of Maguuma. I remember playing GW1 and in Maguuma you traversed a lot of territory on those weird trees with thorns.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Huge twist - it's not the expansion everyone was hoping for but instead a trading card game or MOBA.

The bulk of the charm in the original game was the exploration of huge areas with tons of secrets. The quality of the few areas they've added since release reek of "this is free filler". While fun, and introducing new and interesting concepts that do things other games in the genre don't, it certainly is nowhere near what the core game boasts.

And I could go for a good helping of story. The Living Story feels like watching an episode of a show released every few weeks. It's the opposite of the DVR/Netflix binge lifestyle our culture has adopted.

Kade

Would need to be a near complete overhaul to get my interest again. Also would need to include paragons.

Yep. I wanted to like GW2 since I've put 1000+ hours in the GW1 but it just wasn't happening. Thankfully, it doesn't have a subscription fee so I can give it another chance at no extra charge. I miss the days of 55 Monks, IWAY Warriors and other batshit crazy builds the game didn't stop you from doing.

Grudy

So what?

He probably will just help us open that cave entrance at the end of last episode, during today's episode.

If we were going to Crystal Desert there is no way there wouldn't be something in the name of this expansion that hinted to Kralkatorrik the Crystal Dragon.

We could get both :D

Honestly, I just want to see a crystal desert dungeon that has a Branded Lupi in it similar to the undead Lupi in Arah. Then all my wishes would come true.

Levyne

Banned
"Heart of Thorns" reminds me of Maguuma. I remember playing GW1 and in Maguuma you traversed a lot of territory on those weird trees with thorns.

The current living story chapters focus on Maguuma. So yeah.

Really hope it's not just some sort of repacking for 8 season 2 episodes or something like that.

Lunar15

Actually, thinking about this, I doubt it's an expansion in the traditional sense. They're probably just going to have a more substantial living story update, but branded as an expansion for marketing purposes.

I expect something larger than what they have been doing, but I'm not feeling too keen on a straight up expansion as everyone's used to seeing.

We could get both :D

Honestly, I just want to see a crystal desert dungeon that has a Branded Lupi in it similar to the undead Lupi in Arah. Then all my wishes would come true.

That would be awesome but it like a new level of hype an expectation that I don't want to fool myself into believing.

Just wish Jan 24th can come quicker.

Hyunashi

Good. I may finally have more stuff to do. As long as it isnt another crappy living story season, I will be satisfied.

Actually, thinking about this, I doubt it's an expansion in the traditional sense. They're probably just going to have a more substantial living story update, but branded as an expansion for marketing purposes.

I hope not.

Feonix

YES!!

Finally, an expansion for my favorite MMO of all time? YES PLEASE. I am so excited.

Hoping for: 1) new weapon classes (2) new utility/elite skills (3) new zones (4) new races/classes would be nice too.

Anno

Nice. I'm one of the supporters of the Living World but even I would like to see something larger, hopefully this is it. Regardless if it's rolled out as a new boxed thing or maybe just some mega-season in LW3. Mostly just want new weapons and skills/traits for my guard, some new zones and maybe some new mechanics. Can't wait for the 24th.

inky

Are Kodan a playable race yet? Because that is literally the only thing that would make me come back :p

Well, not really, but since I uninstalled it to make room in my SSD I've been to lazy to download it again. =/

Complistic

I've been logging in to unlock the story mission updates but haven't had time to play them. Would be all over an expansion though.

ViciousDS

Banned
bring back the holy triny and all the skills I loved :(

Will wait and see what this expansion actually does.

The game was ok, the seasoned content outside of a few updates were pretty trashy and didn't give me much reason to log in and enjoy the game.

If they bring me a scythe class in the next expansion....I'll probably go back just because Dervish was my favorite class in the original lol.

Vena

New WvW maps and mechanics please.

We played this game for near two years on the original WvW concept because of how solid and fun the damn thing was but every thing gets boring eventually. Please revitalize this ANet because you are apparently the only group of devs who knew how to make it work.

Dreavus

Not sure how I would handle this. I've only been playing very sparingly, and mostly logging in to unlock stuff.

Depending on the details I could see myself really jumping back in though.

_woLf

We now have a trailer. Poor audio quality since it was taken directly from the game.

Basically, one of the playable races has rebelled against the world.

Less rebelled and more like created for the sole purpose of the dragon.

The end of the trailer pretty much confirms this is an expansion. It's about damn time. The presentation of this doesn't sound like how they've handled season 1 and 2 at all.

Helmholtz

Yep. I wanted to like GW2 since I've put 1000+ hours in the GW1 but it just wasn't happening. Thankfully, it doesn't have a subscription fee so I can give it another chance at no extra charge. I miss the days of 55 Monks, IWAY Warriors and other batshit crazy builds the game didn't stop you from doing.
Same boat here. I did finish the main story of GW2, and did world events/fractals and what have you, but none of it really gave me the same feeling that the first game did. The second game just felt so... sloppy and all over the place. One of my biggest gaming disappointments actually. I grew up playing GW1 since the first day it came out, and spent thousands of hours maxing out my account in preparation for GW2. I probably played GW2 for less than 100 hours in the end.
It's hard for me to pinpoint what I don't like about the second game. On paper it should have been perfect for me. But I think it's the quest design and shallow combat systems that killed it for me. I really miss customizing my skill bar completely and having my own roll in a party rather than being a jack of all trades. And hell, I miss stuff like having an energy bar for whatever reason. The second game just tried to streamline so many things and in the end I just found it terribly uninteresting.

KiteGr

I can't find a specific gif to match my excitement so think of all the below combined!
96781-Anna-excited-gif-Imgur-Frozen-j9Hv.gif
1012445.gif
GIF-celebrate-Django-unchained-excited-fantastic-Leonardo-di-Caprio-woo-hoo-GIF.gif
1116.gif
giphy.gif

Hope they fix the old personal story... and Orr before releasing the thing.
Especially the bad personal story is among the things that turn off new players the most!

KiteGr

Cool. If it has a bunch of new areas and less superficial additions I may come back to the game.

There are already new areas.
In the entire Seasson 2 of the living world, they were building two additional areas west of the Maguma Jungle where the majority of the story takes place, unlocking a new part of the map with every patch.

Assuming they'll do the same until the expansion eventually get released, and assuming the expansion won't come out in less than a year from now, you should expect another two areas to be added during Seasson 3.

If you where away from the game during the last year, you'll have to pay for the story though, ass it's free only to those who log in regularly.

anteevy

Same boat here. I did finish the main story of GW2, and did world events/fractals and what have you, but none of it really gave me the same feeling that the first game did. The second game just felt so... sloppy and all over the place. One of my biggest gaming disappointments actually. I grew up playing GW1 since the first day it came out, and spent thousands of hours maxing out my account in preparation for GW2. I probably played GW2 for less than 100 hours in the end.
It's hard for me to pinpoint what I don't like about the second game. On paper it should have been perfect for me. But I think it's the quest design and shallow combat systems that killed it for me. I really miss customizing my skill bar completely and having my own roll in a party rather than being a jack of all trades. And hell, I miss stuff like having an energy bar for whatever reason. The second game just tried to streamline so many things and in the end I just found it terribly uninteresting.
Same here. I still like GW2, but mostly for the world itself (jumping puzzles and hidden mini dungeons are awesome) and some events (clock tower!), but not the gameplay.

GW1 has (for me) the best combat & skill system I've ever played. I want to
- customize my complete skillbar (enables way more possibilities to play a character instead of forcing the player into a standard allrounder build),
- have an energy system (so that I actually have to plan my build accordingly and also when to use which skill in combat and not just press 1-5 in a loop),
- have more diverse skills (I've never had the feeling in GW2 that it matters with which skill I attack the enemy).

Also, (as a ranger) I really loved GW1's interrupt system - it was really rewarding to cancel skills with long activation time like the enemy elementalist's meteor shower.

Nothing of this would be impossible for an addon to bring "back" to the game, but sadly it's still very unlikely... but it's still good to know that there are many other players who feel the same way. :D

Retro

GW1 has (for me) the best combat & skill system I've ever played. I want to

. . .

- have an energy system (so that I actually have to plan my build accordingly and also when to use which skill in combat and not just press 1-5 in a loop),
- have more diverse skills (I've never had the feeling in GW2 that it matters with which skill I attack the enemy).

Also, (as a ranger) I really loved GW1's interrupt system - it was really rewarding to cancel skills with long activation time like the enemy elementalist's meteor shower.

You would never want to use 1-5 in a loop or spam skills as they come off cooldown, and it absolutely matters which skill you use to attack the enemy. For example, Ranger longbow skill #4 is a knockback (which means it's an interrupt, just like you're asking for at the end there.) You'd never want to just spam that when it's off cooldown, and players who do so are generally regarded as morons. Likewise with the #3 skill, which grants swiftness to your pet (it would be completely wasted if they are already attacking the enemy).

The game is packed full of skills that have very situational use to interrupt and manipulate enemy positioning.

anteevy

Yes, but somehow while playing through the campaign I was not once in a position where it really made a difference whether to push the enemy back instead of just continue shooting him. Or whether my pet was a bit faster. But maybe it's not even a skill problem but more the fault of the mission/enemy/encounter design. Nevertheless in the end I had developed a certain attack pattern after some time that I then used throughout the rest of the game and I never really found a better one. While in GW1, I developed new builds daily and couldn't even decide on what to play next because all builds felt awesome and different.

Zeroth

Yes, but somehow while playing through the campaign I was not once in a position where it really made a difference whether to push the enemy back instead of just continue shooting him. Or whether my pet was a bit faster. But maybe it's not even a skill problem but more the fault of the mission/enemy/encounter design. Nevertheless in the end I had developed a certain attack pattern after some time that I then used throughout the rest of the game and I never really found a better one. While in GW1, I developed new builds daily and couldn't even decide on what to play next because all builds felt awesome and different.

That's the dynamic of playing solo, yes. Once you find a skill combination you're comfortable with, odds are that you will stick to it. That said, there are plenty of build diversity within the classes, specially when it comes to a party. Doing hard content with 4 other individuals (or even as a group, like the more recent maps incentive) is a pretty unique and interesting experience, and I think it highlights the class differences in a positive way. But of course, if you are expecting a build diversity like GW1, you won't find it in GW2 (or most cases, I think).

Top Bottom