• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Enosh

Enosh - Seems way to early to start playing dissapointed victim. At any rate, Cata/turrets is a dumb reason to be dissapointed.
I started playing it the moment I heard WvWvW will be in the game :D
I dislike the large scale pvp in general

and they are a good reason for me, especially since they seem to want to put the fucking everywhere and seem to be a major part of both dragon fights, in fact it isn't about fighting the dragon at all, it's about protecting your turrets since they seem to do way more damage than what a normal character can do
I simply don't like those design choices

GvG never worked really well, which explains nicely why GW never took off as a esport. it never became the next starcraft like they hoped. I am glad it's gone.
because it didn't take off as an esport it didn't work well? what kind of logic is that?
they might as well scrap any pvp at all because nothing they put in will ever reach that point
gvg worked very well from my point of view

I started playing it the moment I heard WvWvW will be in the game :D
I dislike the large scale pvp in general

and they are a good reason for me, especially since they seem to want to put the fucking everywhere and seem to be a major part of both dragon fights, in fact it isn't about fighting the dragon at all, it's about protecting your turrets since they seem to do way more damage than what a normal character can do
I simply don't like those design choices

because it didn't take off as an esport it didn't work well? what kind of logic is that?
they might as well scrap any pvp at all because nothing they put in will ever reach that point
gvg worked very well from my point of view

Ok we get it, you hate basically every big aspect of the game. The pvp, the pve, the use of siege weapons, and so on.

And statements like this

in fact it isn't about fighting the dragon at all

make me facepalm.

You must have hated pvp like Fort Aspenwood in GW1 then since siege weapons were a big part of that as well.

etiolate

Banned
uh GVG worked very well

I do hope WvWvW involves some huge fights between just players.

Anyways, I hope monday is fll of stuff. Imagine if there were just a few videos and some playthrough thoughts?

Dusky

GvG was great when it first started out and it was well on it's way to becoming an E-Sport. It's only when Factions released that things started to go down hill. A-Net will have hopefully learnt from their mistakes.

No GvG isn't a bad thing in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how they pull it off with their new PvP modes, but to say GvG never worked well is just rubbish. GvG is debatably still one of the best forms of PvP around.

Yes the problem with siege weapons is that somebody MUST use them. If they were cool and fun to use, then alright. But rarely do siege weapons have more depth than your own character.

The problem isnt with having objectives (which is the only positive of siege weapons). It's that the objectives are not fun to use. I pity the poor sod who is on trebuchet duty on the BG they've shown us. If Anet want us to maintain, protect and assualt a defensive area, they could've made it a passive buff or an automated offensive system. Nobody wants to swap their full skill bar for a single ability that says "FIRE".

Thats what i fear. Its easy to show us cool mechanics but when you break down the steps inside that event it may not be as fun as when it was painted in broad strokes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes the problem with siege weapons is that somebody MUST use them. If they were cool and fun to use, then alright. But rarely do siege weapons have more depth than your own character.

The problem isnt with having objectives (which is the only positive of siege weapons). It's that the objectives are not fun to use. I pity the poor sod who is on trebuchet duty on the BG they've shown us. If Anet want us to maintain, protect and assualt a defensive area, they could've made it a passive buff or an automated offensive system. Nobody wants to swap their full skill bar for a single ability that says "FIRE".

There's no body forcing them, and really hows that different to most things in pvp. In order to win, you end up doing things you'd rather not do or things may not consider to be "fun". You make such compromises in order to win. If you don't want to do it you don't or leave. They may be somone out there enjoys doing it as a bit of change of pace.

I guess there are people who like certain roles in a fantasy game setting, whether it be the "front-liners" or the small groups that like going "commando" and going behind enemy lines..

I wonder what the rewards are for establishing control and winning WvWvW...dungeon loot? More experience from enemies? Time will tell...

nataku

I don't mind the idea of siege weapons. I'd man them knowing that without my help the castle or tower siege might not succeed. Then again, I tend to play more supportive classes overall.

I support anything that moves people away from the constant zerg vs zerg I saw when playing WAR. That kind of fight going on all the time just isn't fun. All the different things to do in WvW other than kill players sounds like it'll be a ton of fun.

If people really find a big issues with the siege weapons they should just make it so they have to be used by a player initially, aimed at where they want to fire, and then just auto fire on that location until readjusted. If a player doesn't use them they won't activate. Players could also sit there an man them all the time too if they wanted.

etiolate

Banned
As for siege weapons, I think it's important to remind people that anyone can join WvWvW. Siege weapons offer low levels a purpose where their lack of skills, traits or bonuses don't matter.

I do agree that I prefer using the multiple abilities of my character to a one dimensional siege weapon. I will still manage a siege weapon if it means winning at that moment.

gunbo13

Siege weapons will be balanced as to not require constant work. If ANET doesn't do this, they would be idiots. Typically, siege weapons are only required based on enemy movements. It is a see-saw battle of having it available vs. possible enemy rush. Nobody should need to camp it. Maybe put a speed run&gun type ranger on task.

The issue with WvW is simple. Larger scale means more complexity in coordination. I can definitely envision a proper coordinated battle using sub-teams and battle leaders. It would be a really fun event. However, I can also envision a complete cluster-fuck of pups everywhere. The other issue becomes the former vs. the latter. A properly coordinated large scale team would obliterate any team not following the same pattern; no question.

We'll see.

Vano

Some Leaks :V if it isn't allowed feel free to take them down or tell me.

1329597405447.jpg

Mesmer in WvWvW

Necro Traits

more:

http://imgur.com/a/M68aF#0

Apparently those are Low/Med settings, so don't freak out ;o

DJIzana

So jealous of the people that get to play this... I hope my turn will come eventually.

I'm excited to see footage of the Guardian, Ranger & Elementalist. Those are the classes that have the highest interest for me right now... as to which I'll play as my main though, I'm not sure yet.

gunbo13

I don't understand why some screenshots look like an absolute mess. Hope those are low settings cause I'd prefer GW1 shots to some of those.

Enosh

Ok we get it, you hate basically every big aspect of the game. The pvp, the pve, the use of siege weapons, and so on.
how the fuck did you get to that from what I wrote?
dungeons seem to be fun and so far there was no mention of siege weapons in them
arena pvp seems fun (you know, the thing i primary played in GW1) and iirc the catapult might only be on this one map
make me facepalm.
why?
the purpose of both dragon fights so far shown is to hit them with the turrets which take a large chunk on his HP and at least in the case of the water one stun him
turrets are there and they seem to be a very important part of the fight and the mechanics (ads that can destroy them, walls that block shoots) are all build around the turrets
so yes, to me fighting the dragon is secondary, the primary goal is to keep up the turrets so that you can maximize the dps on the dragon
You must have hated pvp like Fort Aspenwood in GW1 then since siege weapons were a big part of that as well.
I wouldn't know, I bought factions and played some tombs and gvg in it but quit soon after the release for WoW, don't remember playing that one

Proven

if the siege weapons in WvW work anything like the ones in PvP, then it will take an extremely low amount of attacks to bust down a wall, the main purpose of them. Like, a minute or two tops. After that, you run off, and the people who actually enjoy leaving cover fire in the form of massive fiery death (of which there are many) can do all the constant shelling for you.

You're not alone out there.

As for GvG, I don't see how PvP can't replace it. GvG never felt extremely epic to me, even with the large areas and the "Guild Lord" along with other NPCs didn't do much. For the GvGvG battles in whatever it was called, you can still do that in WvWvW, except now you have your entire guild with you, instead of just 7 other players.

mrNTE

Crossing my fingers for "previous players of GW1 get into the beta automatically".
I hope not! (never touched GW1)

I hope they won't forget us EUR players. Last couple of Betas I've been interested in have left EUR zone for later waves of beta invites.

etiolate

Banned
Two comments on the leaks:

1. I cannot figure out yet what the icons atp the mesmer skillbar mean. Are those the type of illusions out or the ways in which you can shatter them? It also looks like it goes eight deep.

2. "5% chance to" on the rune = =/ Rather the game not have much if any of that sort of thing.

Vano

oh i see, i'm used to the < GUILD > under the name, that's why is weird for me.

Martin Kerstein said:
Let me assure you all that we will look into each leak. So far we almost always got the source.
Anybody freaking out - you will see the game in moving pictures (aka videos) on Monday. That will ease your (unfounded) doubts.

gunbo13

Two comments on the leaks:

1. I cannot figure out yet what the icons atp the mesmer skillbar mean. Are those the type of illusions out or the ways in which you can shatter them? It also looks like it goes eight deep.
They are the shatter icons. Those are mind wrack and cry of frustration I believe. If you hit an Fx key, it will shatter the illusion per the icon.
2. "5% chance to" on the rune = =/ Rather the game not have much if any of that sort of thing.
Passive on the runes is pretty stupid if not balanced really really well. % chance to should be very important such as the weapon sets in GW1. Top builds required proper setup/management such as 40/40 wep sets. Stacking % chance to runes though could enable some sort of meta builds. But if they are completely passive from all standpoints...no good.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
They need the system requirements for this game, I must know if I'll be able to run it on a crappy dual core CPU at 2.0 GHz or not ;_;

Vano

They need the system requirements for this game, I must know if I'll be able to run it on a crappy dual core CPU at 2.0 GHz or not ;_;

They have said that they have proved the game on machines with graphics card really old (that they needed to buy online) so there is the possibility that you are in luck :eek: but nothing is sure until they release them.

Grayman

You may have a very good chance because Arenanet had to order video cards that are no longer manufactured for testing the game.

zugzug

it is hilariously funny that MMORPG.com is given beta keys like they are actually press.

Fake scamming website is fake.

If that quote is from a guy who works for that site.

Vano

1. Still no release date huh? 2. When can I play this? 3. How are they doing the Beta?

1. Nope.
2. Next week they will talk more about participating in beta testing.
3. For now Press only, next week we'll get more info about beta testing.

Coxswain

GvG never worked really well, which explains nicely why GW never took off as a esport. it never became the next starcraft like they hoped. I am glad it's gone.

This is nonsense. GvG worked fantastically, and made every other RPG PvP, before and since, look like absolute tripe. The reasons that it never took off the way they wanted it to almost all happened before a GvG match even started:

- You needed eight players (no more, no less) who were capable of highly coordinated play (requiring voice chat, which was not built into the game and required third-party software, and/or required enough experience playing together that you could read the situation).
- You needed an overarching team build/strategy, and you needed your team to be able to play the roles built into that strategy.
- You needed to actually have the skills that were part of your build unlocked. I could write paragraphs and paragraphs on the specifics of why this was an especially awful ordeal at the game's release, and by the time it got appreciably better, the game had largely been passed over by the competitive community.

The reason that Guild Wars 1's GvG never took off is that the barrier to entry was so high that the only people who could really effectively do it were the people who were already organized and committed. It did everything in its power to slam the door in the face of those who were casually interested. But when it worked, make no mistake, it was one of the absolute best competitive video games around (Edit: Should note, this is referring to the game in its prime; the expansions flooded the game with skills and classes to the point where it lost most of the balance that it began with), and certainly miles better than every other RPG with PvP - and that likely includes Guild Wars 2, although I'd be happy to find myself surprised.

Hoo-doo

Banned
https://twitter.com/#!/mkerstein/status/170934825254002688

"So it seems Izzy and Tyler did not sleep at all but defended a keep in WvW for 10h. Madness!"

Damn. It must be a real treat to defend your mighty castle against the endless hordes of inexperienced press.
Izzy was a goddamn menace in those PvP matches he played against that semi-professional team Boon Control a few months ago.

Him PvP-ing with the unwashed masses is probably a sight to behold.

Top Bottom