• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can't wait for the coming flood of new footage. I really want this game to deliver.

I also found this random .gif, how could I possibly not roll a Guardian now?

13144438506561zxuru.gif

Retro

So with the 20th fast approaching, do we have a definite thread name for the press beta thread?

Just realized it will be Presidents Day in the US, so....

Guild Wars 2 Press Event: The Unprecedented Day
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: A Day without Precedent

Alternatively,

Guild Wars 2 Press Event: Information Overload Imminent
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: Prepare to be Mesmerized.
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: Grinding Halt (Since GW2 claims to do away with grinding, =p)
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: The Deluge Begins (kind of a reference to what happens to Lion's Arch?)
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: The Mists begin to Part (obvious reference)
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: The Future of MMOs... Today!

gunbo13

Guild Wars 2 Press Event: Casting Articles Underwater
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: Living State of Footage
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: Raiding the Press Reels

...more later

gunbo13

Guild Wars 2 Press Event: WoW! Better watch out for this
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: See how MMOs can change
Guild Wars 2 Press Event: Dynamic news for a dynamic event

I'm done. Those are good. I like the troll.

Vano

Next week, media will be posting their observations and videos online, so prepare yourself for a flood of information and gameplay footage. In a Dev Update right here on the ArenaNet Blog, Lead Designer Eric Flannum will discuss some of the changes players experienced during this beta weekend event. Plus, we’ll have some very specific information about an upcoming Guild Wars 2 beta event – I guarantee you will not want to miss it!

http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-limited-beta-test-begins-today

It Begins.

Jira

ive waited for this game since 2003 when i started following GW1. This is manifestation of many of the things we wanted in alpha in gw1. it has taken almost 10 years but boy, what a journey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJn9GhF8TI0

It's amazing if you look at that versus what they released 2 years later and then what they showed in Alpha for GW2 compared to what they showed in Alpha of GW1. It goes a long way to show that GW2 was INSANELY polished the very first time we got to see it and has continued to be polished even more.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Come on ArenaNet. Just because I'm not playing GW1 because it's a bland, old, laggy, floaty game, doesn't mean I'm not a good candidate.

Proven

Isn't the press allowed to have a twitch running? I thought there was no NDA? :(

Nope. There's still an NDA until Tuesday, which means no streams. But a lot of places have been planning to record hours of direct feed footage, which is the next best thing.

Enosh

just read about the WvWvW thing
ugh sounds even worse than I tough
I don't get anets fetish for turrets or catapults in everything, both dragon fights shown so far had them and this place too...

and we lost GvG for this -.-
oh well, here is to hopping the small scale arena will blow me away

also still no info on how they redesigned the whole traits system?

Boken

Banned
In their defense, I belive that large scale PvP requires many viable objectives or else it becomes a zergfest. Siege is their form of an objective.

Enosh - Seems way to early to start playing dissapointed victim. At any rate, Cata/turrets is a dumb reason to be dissapointed.
GvG never worked really well, which explains nicely why GW never took off as a esport. it never became the next starcraft like they hoped. I am glad it's gone.

And by the way, there are catapults in small form pvp too.

Ferny

The amount of stuff available to do in WvWvW in my view is amazing. You can take a small group and still accomplish something or have a big group rush an objective together. This game has me more excited for PVP than any other before it.

Vano

I like the way they explained it. If you make a big map like in WvWvW you need to implement objectives to make encounter points for the players to fight in.

If you implement Forts and Towers with walls its obvious you need siege weapons to take them down, i mean you can also make the walls go down with player attacks but that feels a little silly, with siege weapons you add more objectives (defend them, build them) and make the whole situation more epic. I like the feel of epicness and scale that they are adding with WvWvW.

Proven

I like the way they explained it. If you make a big map like in WvWvW you need to implement objectives to make encounter points for the players to fight in.

If you implement Forts and Towers with walls its obvious you need siege weapons to take them down, i mean you can also make the walls go down with player attacks but that feels a little silly, with siege weapons you add more objectives (defend them, build them) and make the whole situation more epic. I like the feel of epicness and scale that they are adding with WvWvW.

What I'm going to be looking forward to are times where instead of siege, you go with stealth. Send a small group into a tower to kill some key NPCs, wreck their supply from the inside out, or even just stall their siege defenses to allow a larger force time to cross the open field.

They even designed certain forts with underwater passages. Seriously, it's more of the small group stuff that I really want to do with a couple of friends. I can't imagine a big army doing anything with enough cohesion for my interests unless you get on a server with an extremely influential guild, or wade through a RP one.

Because siege weapons dont involve your character, but some clunky siege weapon with 2 abilities or something.

I'd say your character is pretty involved since you need to use teamwork to build and defend them. Siege weapons are used to bring down walls and such so people can rush in.

If you don't want to use siege weapons you can always just leave it to someone else.

At least to me this is more involving compared to just standard pvp you'd find in most games where you just kill people you come across in the field.

Boken

Banned
Yes the problem with siege weapons is that somebody MUST use them. If they were cool and fun to use, then alright. But rarely do siege weapons have more depth than your own character.

The problem isnt with having objectives (which is the only positive of siege weapons). It's that the objectives are not fun to use. I pity the poor sod who is on trebuchet duty on the BG they've shown us. If Anet want us to maintain, protect and assualt a defensive area, they could've made it a passive buff or an automated offensive system. Nobody wants to swap their full skill bar for a single ability that says "FIRE".

I understand your concern, but in the end we'll only be able to see how well it works when we get our hands on it.

Shelling an area to support my team sounds pretty appealing and I would hope that if siege weapons are used you will not have to use them for too long.

Regardless we can only speculate for now. I imagine if a large enough amount of people find issues with the siege weapons after the game is out I'm sure ArenaNet will implement some tweaks.

Top Bottom