• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know you won't start auto-attacking any target unless you get hit by it, but you can just use whatever the first other skill you'd be using anyway (say... 4) and you'll be auto-attacking with whatever you have selected (likely 1) after that.

I have heard many times about the right-click on allies thing, it sounds very annoying. It's not something I've ever run into because of the mechanics of my control scheme. You might very well want to check out the Combat Mode mod/tweak, or if you feel like going a little more radical, playing with a gamepad.

Regarding auto-rotating the camera... while I understand having to swing it to find your next target can be annoying, it's definitely a design decision. I know that at least my Mesmer and especially Thief are very appreciative that their targets can't auto-rotate their cameras to look at them. :p A lot of their benefit comes from disorienting people as much as possible.

Very interesting theory. The two zones each have big meta events linked to those factions. If they've teamed up to summon something it would make sense that they could force out a lot of the civilian bystanders set up in the foothills. Lore-wise I'm not sure how they'd get along exactly- the Flame Legion are the only outright "evil" faction that's not explicitly under the control of an Elder Dragon.

Thank you for this, It looks like what I need. I will have to try it out when I get home. How does it work with ground target spells? Would I need to switch out of combat mode to do aoe spells?

Also wvwvw ratings are going to be reset due to all the transfers
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Coming-Soon-WvW-Rating-Reset/first#post1313585

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone found any hints yet about the Flame and Frost events?
A dev said there are heralds somewhere already, but nothing really gets going til 12/3PM EST.
Thank you for this, It looks like what I need. I will have to try it out when I get home. How does it work with ground target spells? Would I need to switch out of combat mode to do aoe spells?
I don't have any experience with Combat Mode actually, but definitely not. I think their method relies on turning on Fast-Cast and aiming before firing off the skill.

With our controller method you simply zoom to the most comfortable level (farther out is better for classes with lots of AOE) and aim with the camera, since the mouse is in a fixed position. Combat Mode might be able to work like this as well if you don't turn fast-casting on, I just haven't tried it.

Whooaa. Maybe it's time to rally the forces of SBI after all.

edit: Meh. It's a good idea, but it's not going to shake things up THAT much, because the first matchup that will be counted toward the post-reset rankings will have been determined by the preceding rankings. Definitely a great opportunity for the new hardcore WvW servers to show their stuff, though. Moondrop, who should I be rooting for at the new #1? :p

With our controller method you simply zoom to the most comfortable level (farther out is better for classes with lots of AOE) and aim with the camera, since the mouse is in a fixed position. Combat Mode might be able to work like this as well if you don't turn fast-casting on, I just haven't tried it.

Okay, I would be up for using a controller if I had one lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought Heralds were supposed to show up in LA sometime today. At least that's how I had understood it from the patch notes.
That sounds familiar. I don't know if they mentioned LA in the patch notes specifically but it'd make sense (Hoekbrak as well). Regardless I think the "meat" of the event is going to be pretty obvious when it kicks in at 3:00PM my time. Wish I was home, but it's not described in any sense as a one-time event so no biggie.
hows the update? is it fun?:D I cant play for a while:(

plus I lost my gaming rig. *sigh*

/sad
What happened to your rig?! :-[

The changes are all positive from my perspective. A lot of great new foundational, quality-of-life stuff added and some crucial changes to dungeons and fractals.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I think the enemies had to be finished off with the combo finisher, it wasn't enough just to blast finish a fire field for might or whirl finish for the shield. I think.

It was definitely random, sometimes it worked like that and sometimes it didn't.

My crazed theory is that there was an alogirthm in place that would make the combo not count if at any point during the fight you combo'd off yourself.

I'm assuming having to sit in a queue for ten years to get into WvW is due to how full my server is? Never cared before because I'm a PVE guy but need to clear WvW for 100 percent world completion. Does it normally take that long to get into Eternal Battlegrounds or the Borderlands? Has been this way the two days I've tried thus far.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm assuming having to sit in a queue for ten years to get into WvW is due to how full my server is? Never cared before because I'm a PVE guy but need to clear WvW for 100 percent world completion. Does it normally take that long to get into Eternal Battlegrounds or the Borderlands? Has been this way the two days I've tried thus far.

Which server are you on? It's always going to be full and busy on friday nights after reset on any server, and certainly fairly busy on the weekends too.

Arcteryx

EB usually has the longest q of any of the WvW maps. That said, I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 30-45 minutes for an opening. Best advice is to try during early AM or afternoon; any time during prime time or Friday+Saturday will be longer waits.

I tried Sunday and Monday night. I'm on Tarnished Coast and I'm guessing it's just due to it being a busy server. Tried one time back when I was on Sorrow's Furnace and got in right away.

Arcteryx

Ugggggggggggh just saw that they changed some of the skins for weapons...the new Corrupted Shortbow is...bad. It was buggy before with the small amount of mist it gave off, but now the bow itself is super small and lacks the "jagged" icy edges the old one had.

Kinda wish I'd known they were going to do this(also didn't see it in the patch notes, but might have missed it), as I wouldn't have dropped 35g in crafting mats into it.

Oh well, at least they update the icon for it...

Retro

New dailies are interesting and less grindy. The enemy variety is still confusing though.

At least with the Achievement tracker in the UI you can tell instantly if something counts or not. I think a lot of it has to do with the way the game classifies certain enemies. All Moas count as Moas, all critters (rabbits, raccoons, hawks, etc.) as critters, all fish as fish.

A good place to knock that one out is the Reactor in northwest Metrica Province, tons of different enemies running around.

Also, the Revive one works on NPCs, a good place is the Bloodfields in Gandaran Fields. Skelks tend to wipe out the Seraph almost as soon as you get them back up on their feet. Lots of events in that area too.

Divvy

Its annoying that they didn't change how some things are counted. Like how all Risen count as 1 despite being wildly different animals.

Levyne

Banned
At least with the Achievement tracker in the UI you can tell instantly if something counts or not. I think a lot of it has to do with the way the game classifies certain enemies. All Moas count as Moas, all critters (rabbits, raccoons, hawks, etc.) as critters, all fish as fish.

A good place to knock that one out is the Reactor in northwest Metrica Province, tons of different enemies running around.

Also, the Revive one works on NPCs, a good place is the Bloodfields in Gandaran Fields. Skelks tend to wipe out the Seraph almost as soon as you get them back up on their feet. Lots of events in that area too.

I randomly ran into another gaffer around the bloodfield and we were both running around REZZING EVERYONE. It was amusing.

Rawk Hawk

For the revive one, I'm not sure you can keep reviving the same person over and over. There were two NPCs near earth elementals in Plains of Ashford, and the elementals killed the 2 NPCs. I was only given credit for reviving them the first time. Might be a bug to the zone, but I revived them a few times while I did a gather item event there.

Retro

I randomly ran into another gaffer around the bloodfield and we were both running around REZZING EVERYONE. It was amusing.

That was me.

They really need to get name changes in, and then I really need to find a name that people will associate with me. I already don't like how my name can be mispronounced as "Da' Lion!" I dunno what I was thinking, I panicked when the names I wanted were taken by somebody else .6 seconds after going live.

For the revive one, I'm not sure you can keep reviving the same person over and over. There were two NPCs near earth elementals in Plains of Ashford, and they killed 2 NPCs. I was only given credit for reviving them the first time. Might be a bug to the zone, but I revived them a few times while I did a gather item event there.

There's enough of them around this won't be a problem, but yeah, reviving the same person over and over probably won't work.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Retro, are you sure that rabbits and hawks count as the same type?
For the revive one, I'm not sure you can keep reviving the same person over and over. There were two NPCs near earth elementals in Plains of Ashford, and the elementals killed the 2 NPCs. I was only given credit for reviving them the first time. Might be a bug to the zone, but I revived them a few times while I did a gather item event there.
Well you can definitely get it by repeatedly rezzing the same human player (cough jira cough), but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some simple flag logic on NPCs, so that you couldn't create a scenario where an npc is getting attacked, you ignore the mob and res them, let them die, res again, etc.

There was a few of us who went to The Bloodfield for the res achieve. I saw maybe at least 2 other Gafers when I was there. One who was in say yelling how they must save everyone in the battlefield. Gave me a nice little chuckle.

Retro

Retro, are you sure that rabbits and hawks count as the same type?

Now that you cast the slightest shadow of doubt on it, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure when I killed both last night, one right after the other, I only got credit for one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While I'm not sure either, I'm pretty sure there are broad categories within critters such that hawk and eagle don't each count, tuna and salmon don't each count, rabbit and raccoon don't each count- but one of each should give you credit for 3.

Generally if enemy variety if the one you're lacking on and you're down to the wire to complete the daily, you want to go to the Thaumatova Reactor in Metrica (where we had the event). The 4 themed chambers plus the chaos fragments spawning random creatures mean basically every enemy there is a different type.

Retro

There was a few of us who went to The Bloodfield for the res achieve. I saw maybe at least 2 other Gafers when I was there. One who was in say yelling how they must save everyone in the battlefield. Gave me a nice little chuckle.

Okay, pretty sure that was Khold cuz I tend to stay out of chat, though I did see Shin Kodachi out there too, we did the centaur event at Nebo Terrace.

Edit: Just realized you meant /say and not map chat.

Nah it was before I ran into you at the rock dog/champ events

Yeah, I guess that's when we met up.

I love seeing GAFers out in the wild. I always make it a point to /salute.

While I'm not sure either, I'm pretty sure there are broad categories within critters such that hawk and eagle don't each count, tuna and salmon don't each count, rabbit and raccoon don't each count- but one of each should give you credit for 3.

Generally if enemy variety if the one you're lacking on and you're down to the wire to complete the daily, you want to go to the Thaumatova Reactor in Metrica (where we had the event). The 4 themed chambers plus the chaos fragments spawning random creatures mean basically every enemy there is a different type.

I'll make sure to note it tonight, assuming that comes up as a daily again (I love that they're unpredictable now, by the way).

And I already mentioned the Reactor. Get with the times, man!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ugggggggggggh just saw that they changed some of the skins for weapons...the new Corrupted Shortbow is...bad. It was buggy before with the small amount of mist it gave off, but now the bow itself is super small and lacks the "jagged" icy edges the old one had.

Kinda wish I'd known they were going to do this(also didn't see it in the patch notes, but might have missed it), as I wouldn't have dropped 35g in crafting mats into it.

Oh well, at least they update the icon for it...
So far as I know, they didn't change any skins in the sense of making them different in an attempt to improve them, so much as they fixed a number of skins that were mimicking others instead of being unique as they were intended. My Mystic Spike finally turned blue, in one minor example.

It looks like the Corrupted Short Bow used to share a skin with the Corrupted Greatbow (and several other Long Bow skins). That might explain why it seems so small in comparison now.

Did it go from
dkUeY.jpg
to
ts05V.jpg
?

If so, I will poke around and see if there are any short bow skins that might still be sharing that longbow skin. If they've all been converted you might be out of luck, because unlike many of these fixes it appears that was using a skin from the wrong class of weapon. :(

So anyone want to take a crack at CoE tonight? I'm curious how much Alpha's HP is now, but I don't want to risk pugging it now that you can't WP during combat..

Retro

I tend to /bow but a lot of times I'm not quick enough and people are always in a hurry.

Yep, people are always on the move in this game, no standing around (not even the "Fly in circles around Shattrath" kind of standing around either). I try to keep an eye out, and usually if GAFers spot each other there's a momentary pause where we just acknowledge we exist. =p

Also, /emote @ is always better than /emote. Cute story: I found somebody in WoW YEARS after we lost contact because somebody /bow'ed at them and I recognized the character name (it was near the Stormwind bank, which was always crowded).

I'm actually using that character name in GW2, hopefully they don't think I stole it (I asked if I could use it in other games and they were okay with it).

Just kill everything!

The very words I live by!

(Not really)

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
So far as I know, they didn't change any skins in the sense of making them different in an attempt to improve them, so much as they fixed a number of skins that were mimicking others instead of being unique as they were intended. My Mystic Spike finally turned blue, in one minor example.

It looks like the Corrupted Short Bow used to share a skin with the Corrupted Greatbow (and several other Long Bow skins). That might explain why it seems so small in comparison now.

Did it go from

If so, I will poke around and see if there are any short bow skins that might still be sharing that longbow skin. If they've all been converted you might be out of luck, because unlike many of these fixes it appears that was using a skin from the wrong class of weapon. :(

I really hope that isn't the case or my sweet Ebon Vanguard Shortbow (shares the same model as longbow), just got way less cool =/

Arcteryx

Did it go from

Yep, that's how it looks now. I kinda suspected it was due to sharing a skin or at least a very similar appearance, but still annoying that nothing was mentioned about it.

I remember seeing the new skin in some preview images maybe from beta? Maybe it got messed up somewhere along the line and they are just now finally fixing it back to the "correct" skin.

edit: just checked a couple of the other short/longbows and it does seem like most are fixed now. The only exception I could find was Wintersbite/bark, both still share the same skin(same size).

jersoc

oh man, some great stuff in this patch.

rip rich vein, no more money maker is a shame.
orr rebalancing is LOOOONG over due.
laurels will be great.
sort of glad they are resetting wvw. just logged in after a break and wow, we aren't even competitive anymore in wvw.

Retro

just logged in after a break and wow, we aren't even competitive anymore in wvw.

Yeah, to summarize that, War Machine left (apparently because JQ guys would transfer over and make racist comments about them), which left no major overnight guild, which lead to a lot of people just not caring about WvW anymore. When they announced Guesting (and thus, the end to free server transfers) everyone suddenly had to make a decision if they wanted to stay on SBI and risk it falling further, or bail out for greener pastures. As a result, a lot of guilds just left (most of them, ironically, for Jade Quarry).

Welcome back. People seem to think we'll float in Tier 3 or 4, some people are predicting doom and gloom and that we'll hit rock bottom.

New dailies are interesting and less grindy. The enemy variety is still confusing though.

Enemy variety from my experience seem to go by species. So if you kill a moa, killing another type of moa won't count but a rabbit will for instance. I think it may be broad enough to where you can only kill on type of bird, fish, etc. I forget.

Divvy

Prelude started. So far I've only done stuff to get some achievements, not sure if there's anything more substantial.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really hope that isn't the case or my sweet Ebon Vanguard Shortbow (shares the same model as longbow), just got way less cool =/
Bummer, it seems quite likely that this is the case :/ Let us know. I seem to remember thinking the Shortbow was pretty cool-looking, but still :(

It sucks that items you guys had were affected (ideally, only new purchses would have the correct skins just so they didn't mess with you. I'd have been pissed about my Mystic Spike, but whatever :p Just doesn't look like their item codes work that way). If you look at it in the long term, though, essentially those were shortbow skins that no one had access to whether they wanted them or not, and they provide more visual distinction between the weapon classes which can actually affect high-level gameplay to an extent. It's definitely a pity but I hope it at least makes pratical sense.

Very weird about the Wintersday skins. I'd have thought those would obviously be fixed too since they were added so recently.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Bummer, it seems quite likely that this is the case :/ Let us know. I seem to remember thinking the Shortbow was pretty cool-looking, but still :(

It sucks that items you guys had were affected (ideally, only new purchses would have the correct skins just so they didn't mess with you. I'd have been pissed about my Mystic Spike, but whatever :p Just doesn't look like their item codes work that way). If you look at it in the long term, though, essentially those were shortbow skins that no one had access to whether they wanted them or not, and they provide more visual distinction between the weapon classes which can actually affect high-level gameplay to an extent. It's definitely a pity but I hope it at least makes pratical sense.

Very weird about the Wintersday skins. I'd have thought those would obviously be fixed too since they were added so recently.

I'll check later tonight when I get home. That was the only shortbow that matches Solv's black and yellow theme AND had the large model.

*sigh*

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was pretty lame, wonder how one should do it without permanently switching overflow servers.

Divvy

You guys check out the new quest today? What does it entail?

Help refugees in wayfarer's doing various things. Do it 75 times to complete the achievement and get the "volunteer" title. You'll also get a 5K karma consumable in the mail eventually.

Help refugees in wayfarer's doing various things. Do it 75 times to complete the achievement and get the "volunteer" title. You'll also get a 5K karma consumable in the mail eventually.

Oh, so the first phase is just simple little tasks for the refugees, no big battles, eh? Makes sense. How long did it take to get the achievement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom