• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, that's all photoshop. The paper background is actually 10 layers or so of different effects made to look like it was scanned. Lots of little things too like some of the pages having stains (the coffee ring is most visible) and such.

All the crayon work is actually one of the default brushes, but I'd draw some in, then use the same brush (but at a smaller size) to erase some out, then add some in, etc. to make it look sloppy.

Like I said. It takes a lot of effort to make something look so cheap and half-assed =p.

Yeah... I think I need a Hythlo confirmation or denial on this one.

My Ele's new Look
gw074zju22.png

Spyware

I have no words for how amazing this OT is, Retro. /salute

Have anyone here ever heard the things some people say about dark skinned norn? That they are just tanned because "black people don't exist in snowy/cold areas"...
I don't have any words for how silly that is either :p

But it made the GW2 Tumblr community post dark skinned norn the whole day and that's nice! I love mine and wanted to post him but realised I hadn't come up with any cool armor look for him. This it what I threw together. Vigil + cultural (and Wintersday Axe/Axe/Warhorn)

tumblr_njbfiwcFru1qg7wmro2_1280.png

Cels

i finally leveled my engineer to 80, took me like 4 or 5 months so you can tell i am super casual

bought an exotic rifle from wvw, decided i didn't like its skin so i decided to change it. was surprised to see that i had the hunter skin unlocked, guess i had it unlocked from the old pvp rewards system that was removed ~1 year ago

now i have just one class left to level to 80 before i have all 8

leng jai

i finally leveled my engineer to 80, took me like 4 or 5 months so you can tell i am super casual

bought an exotic rifle from wvw, decided i didn't like its skin so i decided to change it. was surprised to see that i had the hunter skin unlocked, guess i had it unlocked from the old pvp rewards system that was removed ~1 year ago

now i have just one class left to level to 80 before i have all 8

Does not compute.

Wife and I were talking about how long it will feel waiting for the baby to come in July and then I made the mistake of saying that waiting for the baby is like waiting for the Heart of Thorns expansion. There was a long pause for awhile and then she laughed and called me dumb.

Zeroth

Wife and I were talking about how long it will feel waiting for the baby to come in July and then I made the mistake of saying that waiting for the baby is like waiting for the Heart of Thorns expansion. There was a long pause for awhile and then she laughed and called me dumb.

So are you pre-ordering the baby or not?

Please let this be true. Pleeeease!

Please let this be true. PLease please please

Also I will laugh and then cry a little bit if my server doesn't escape T3 hell by the time HoT comes out. It looks like we're getting closer to dropping down every week but the other server always escapes instead of us ;(

Guys if I want the sneakthief skins for my thief, do I need to buy them and then use the transmutation charges? Or there's a way to obtain and use it without the charges?

cvben

First of all this is the greatest OT I've ever seen.

Second, thanks to GAF for alerting me to the great 10$ deal. Absolutely love the game and most people are super friendly, helpful, and sometimes ridiculously generous.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what professions we know have no new weapons revealed yet?

I want warrior to use guns or focus

Zeroth

Guys if I want the sneakthief skins for my thief, do I need to buy them and then use the transmutation charges? Or there's a way to obtain and use it without the charges?

You can buy gear from the TP that already has the skin, you just have to check if they have the stat combo you're going for.

First of all this is the greatest OT I've ever seen.

Second, thanks to GAF for alerting me to the great 10$ deal. Absolutely love the game and most people are super friendly, helpful, and sometimes ridiculously generous.

Always a pleasure to hear new people having fun with the game! Are you in the guild already? If not, just give us your account or character name and we'll invite you!

Okay GW2GAF here's my question for you

Why do you play Guild Wars 2?

Generally curious why you still play all this time what makes this MMO stand out?

For me its the world it honestly does feel like it's expanding as we play I love the events that pop up and the world bosses my jaw dropped when I first did a world boss on my old character

also the art style is fantastic and the soundtrack too and of course every one in the guild are super friendly/helpful its such a good community

what about you guys?

Amazing OT Retro. This feels like OG OT.

Generally curious why you still play all this time what makes this MMO stand out?

For me its the world it honestly does feel like it's expanding as we play I love the events that pop up and the world bosses my jaw dropped when I first did a world boss on my old character

also the art style is fantastic and the soundtrack too and of course every one in the guild are super friendly/helpful its such a good community

what about you guys?

1) Like Guild Wars 1, I play because the game doesn't disrespect the time I spent playing. When other MMORPGs raise the level cap, just increasing the landmass endlessly and adding new gear treadmills, they are pissing on all the accomplishments you achieved in the first place.
This makes me not want to play those games. This game can be a positive part of my life, not a hindrance, that unfortunately many MMOs do.
I enjoy the animations and art design of Blade & Soul immensely, I really love the story in SWTOR, I think WoW has a terrific world design and I find that ArcheAge has some really neat ideas, but those games are only for a time.
GW2 never leaves the computer. It's always there. Not intrusive, not feeling forced, it allows me to choose how I want, when I want and what I want.
I have characters I use for the PvP aspect, I have a few I only use for dungeons, I have a some I only use for WvW, a few I use for crafting rare gear.

2) Then there is just all the mechanical wonders. It has some of the best art I've ever seen in a game, some of the best music. It has stellar tight animations, not rooted fast paced combat that hits a good spot between traditional hotkey and action based.
I feel that adding more, races, weapons, specializations has the opportunity to enhance the overall game.
The game is highly expressive. With things like the wardrobe, the dye system, it really is about taking your character and doing what you want.
I have an entire gang of really cool characters now. It's cool! :)

I have no words for how amazing this OT is, Retro. /salute

Have anyone here ever heard the things some people say about dark skinned norn? That they are just tanned because "black people don't exist in snowy/cold areas"...
I don't have any words for how silly that is either :p

But it made the GW2 Tumblr community post dark skinned norn the whole day and that's nice! I love mine and wanted to post him but realised I hadn't come up with any cool armor look for him. This it what I threw together. Vigil + cultural (and Wintersday Axe/Axe/Warhorn)

tumblr_njbfiwcFru1qg7wmro2_1280.png

So strange... Inuits are darker skinned people so it's not like there isn't an analogue in real life. But I guess people view them as Vikings which are Scandinavian. Anyways the default Norn Ranger is dark skinned.

cvben

Always a pleasure to hear new people having fun with the game! Are you in the guild already? If not, just give us your account or character name and we'll invite you!

For some reason when I bought the game and made world selection I forgot about Gaf being on Stormbluff Isle. Not sure what server I'm on exactly, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Stormbluff. Does this matter?

Ludovico

Amazing (and hilarious) OT, Retro!!

I only have one character slot left, and we've yet to see a sale
unless I've missed it...
. I assume since HoT is a legit expansion it will definitely have a slot or two included?

Thorgal

For some reason when I bought the game and made world selection I forgot about Gaf being on Stormbluff Isle. Not sure what server I'm on exactly, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Stormbluff. Does this matter?

If you are on a NA server it does not matter thanks to the Megaservers .

Only thing you can't join is wvw which is server specific .

However if you are on an EU server you cannot play with us due to different datacenters.
only chat .

cvben

If you are on a NA server it does not matter thanks to the Megaservers .

Only thing you can't join is wvw which is server specific .

However if you are on an EU server you cannot play with us due to different datacenters.
only chat .

Awesome, I am on an NA server so that'll be fine. Will post username after I get off work.

what about you guys?

My old guildies from swtor got me into it, we all made the jump to GW2 when it was released. Sadly I don't keep in touch with them anymore and most don't play. However, I'm glad they got me into. I only played some GW1 and really didn't have an interest in GW2. Now it's my most played gamed and also my favorite.

For me, it's mainly the combat. It's above any other mmo atm. It's fluid, fast, and more action ordinated. I do enjoy other aspects of the game, however in my view, it's the combat that sets it apart.

demented

Nice OT, subbing. Keep meaning to start playing again but meh, only logging once a day for reward. (few days left)

Levyne

Banned
AC Story Troll. It's still slow as fuck compared to Ike, but a ton faster than my last go (34 seconds from like 85)

I should have dropped the healing spring to clear weakness even though I didn't need the heal, fuck. That could be a ton more time saved.

Ah well, something to remember for next time.

Also I didn't know how to lose the npcs.

http://a.pomf.se/ifmooe.webm

Edit: Also apparently the spirit is too far and I lost the boon. nooooooooooooooo still much room for improvement.

You can buy gear from the TP that already has the skin, you just have to check if they have the stat combo you're going for.

I actually have the right exotic gear right now, the only thing I wanted was the skin. The problem is that with the trasmutation charges I would change the exotic gear, so if in the future I get the ascended one I would need another 7 charges

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, assuming you acquire the sneakthief skins for cheapish (zho armor, buy then salvage). Then it would cost 6 charges to set your whole armor other each time. That would be the only way to do it

The only weird exception would be if one of the named medium armors (zho, reyna, aidan etc) has the stat distribution you normally use, you could just buy and use it straight out for more gold, but since you already have the exotics I dunno if that's super helpful. And for ascended you'd have to use charges.

Retro

Excellent OT, but wondering if this might turn off new people who don't get it.

How do I exit that maze !?

crapbyqsx.jpg

As for the OT, it's essentially the same info (copied and pasted, for the most part, straight from OT4) with a different style. That style is pretty unique from anything I've ever seen on GAF and that alone might turn people on to the game simply by virtue of standing out. Coloring books are kind of a universal thing, I think, and much more relatable than another "roughly painted banners with concept art" OT like we've been doing, even if I like that art style for the game itself.

This is the community OT, the folks who wander in here are playing the game already or are sold (or very nearly) on the game and just looking for more info. I think the tone it sets is fun and humorous without being all in-jokey (there's only a handful of in-jokes) and insular. The only folks who are going to look at that OT and go "Lol, baby's first MMO" are people who probably hold that opinion anyway.

I actually have the right exotic gear right now, the only thing I wanted was the skin. The problem is that with the trasmutation charges I would change the exotic gear, so if in the future I get the ascended one I would need another 7 charges

Any time I feel like I'm about to "Waste" transmutations, I use my empty character slot (Well, name-reserving character slot) and run through all 5 capitols and Lion's Arch. Takes about an hour tops and it gives me 6 charges.

Ashodin

Damn I've been playing a lot lately, haha. I started to play heavily about a week or so ago, and I was sitting at 10g, now I'm up near 300g >.>

Retro

I read this on my phone as I was just waking up and completely forgot to answer it.

The "why do I play" part isn't particularly interesting, and echos both Walrus' and your own comments. I like that I can explore and find something new (especially in places I have been before), and I'm finding as I play alts I can re-do something and still find it thrilling (returning to a Jumping Puzzle I haven't done in ages is fun all over again). From a gameplay perspective I've had a lot of fun tearing things up on my second warrior and mesmer using weapon combos I hadn't really used before but had always been available to me. On my first warrior I found a build that worked and I liked and had settled into a rut. It's hard to create a gameplay mechanic that makes players want to shake their playstyle up without feeling cheap, like you're forcing them to try something different just for the sake of doing something different... but I'd love to see ArenaNet try, and I think Specializations might just be a subtle push in that direction. Alone, the replay value there is great, but to touch on what Walrus mentioned, it's also the respect it has for my time and preferences. I have not tried for a Legendary weapon, so I haven't exposed myself to the grindier parts of the game. I am aware they exist and have made a conscious decision not to engage in them. But that is my choice, and it is a legitimate option that does not affect my ability to play the rest of the game.

And that ties into why GW2 stands out over other MMOs. If this were any other MMO save for a very small few (of which GW2 is the highest quality example), I would have to grind out a Legendary, not just because that's the only real goal I'm given but because I would need the Legendary to do whatever comes next. There is no content in GW2 that is gated behind other blocks of content with the sole exception of high level fractals (and I would argue that you still get to experience them, agony effects aside).

Every MMO I've played with the exception of Guild Wars 2 has one very narrow, focused path that basically boils down to "get better gear to do new content to get better gear to do new content.,." with occasional pauses where you've reach the top (or as far as you're welling to go) and you're just sitting there, running / flying around in circles using the game as a glorified chat room. Even diversions from that path like PVP are still completely dependent on your ability to grind the best gear, and even if skill could potentially play a large part, the fact that dependance on gear progression is such a key part of the game's design means you never really know if the other guy was a better player or if he just had better gear.

I hit exotic gear on most of my characters a long time ago. I've slowly gotten some ascended pieces here and there (mostly accessories), but for the most part I just I don't even look at gear anymore beyond looks and potential sale value. I play the character I want because I like the way that character plays. I roll a second version of a profession purely for cosmetic reasons.

I've done everything there is to do in this game except high level fractals and a scant few dungeon paths (mostly the big, long Arah ones I can never commit time to). So in a weird sort of way, there's nothing left for me to do, but also everything. There's still DEs I haven't seen, little places in the world I haven't been to, tons of players with weird builds or looks (one of my hobbies is taking screenshots of interesting characters). There's new players who need help, and I can actually help them in a way that doesn't feel condescending or showing off, but in a natural, "Let me show you what's over here" kinda way. There are dungeons I've run dozens of times that are made interesting by the class composition (which is something the restrictive roles of the Trinity could never deliver) and the people playing. Running a dungeon with some people feels completely different from running the same dungeon with different people, in the pace, attitude and strategy.

We're 6 months away from the 3 year mark and I still feel like there are zones I haven't given proper attention even after getting 100% world completion on two characters (Frostgorge sticks out as a zone that doesn't get enough love from me). At this point in WoW the launch content was deserted; everything was discovered and documented and left for dead with the exception of a few pockets (erotic roleplayers in Goldshire, twinks wanting runs through the Deadmines), the expansion had come out and been digested quickly, and everyone was waiting for the next chunk of content (which would have been a new raid and the introduction of fucking tedious daily quests).

The wait for TBC felt like it took ages. In contrast, I feel like I haven't had enough time with "Vanilla Guild Wars 2" to see everything there is. I feel like long after HoT releases I'm still going to find things that were in-game since launch.

A new name for a character maybe? :)

http://minus.com/i/zWS9RXLiGOji

Ha, reminds me of my wife and I's characters from the Vanguard beta. The human areas were packed to the gills so we created halflings to escape the lag and load times. Hers was a cleric named "Sugarbush" and mine was "Biter Sweetspot" the rogue.

cvben

Awesome community story time? Yeah its time.

I had been playing for a couple days and thought I was getting the hang of things (I have since found I am still in need of knowledge). So I set up the game for controller (such a godsend really) and was getting used to the switch. Messed around a bit then suddenly my minimap has no icons on it outside of my personal waypoint. I initially thought it was some random keybind combo I'd hit on the controller. Nope. Dig through the options and actually find the UI stuff. Nope, everything is as it should be.

So I go to my racial home spot since I read that was a place where people would just hang out and of all things actually help people out. Not only did I find multiple people willing to help, I found friendly people willing to help. Afterwards one of them Pm'd me with a "welcome to Guild Wars" kind of message. Not only that, but they gifted me some food, a mini (so awesome), and 5 Gold!

They follow that up by offering that I friend them if I want (totally did) and that I could always ask them for help. I asked my noobish questions and they were so kind and helpful the entire time.

Aside: I logged in the next day and say them logged in as an alt in the Silverwastes. Probably toiling away to finance their noob welcome packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom