• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedge

Also, they added some currency pages to gw2efficiency so you can see what the best way to convert karma, badges of honor, and laurels into gold based on current TP prices.

https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/karma

Apparently I've converted a lot of karma to gold using sub-optimal gloves. Wish I knew about that a around a few weeks ago before I converted about 500k karma into linen haha.

Why would you spend all your karma before HoT? With the new karma merchants, I dare not touch my stash.

I'm just so happy with the Chronomancer spec. It's so good that I'm afraid future elite specs might make me sad for giving up the Chronomancer perks.

Zeroth

Hey all, due to some.... plans, we are going to reschedule Wednesday's JP event, Not so Secret, to Thursday. We plan to give more details once things are set in stone, but for now, let's say we'll try to keep the night hot in anticipation for the expansion.

Proven

Someone asked today, so I looked it up again. Uncategorized Fractal is not Rata Sum, past, present, or possible future.
Until they decide to retcon.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/lore/The-Uncategorized-Fractal-is-Rata-Sum/2380457

Scott McGough said:
We’re not ready to reveal the whole truth about the Uncategorized Fractal yet, but I can tell you that it does not represent a potential future for Rata Sum. All of the other fractals represent discrete sections of the past, recreated. We have the ancient past, more recent past, and mythic/lost to history past, but there are no futures in there.

The similarities between the two maps cited is more a function of asuran architecture having common elements rather than a story-related easter egg. In other words, the maps look similar because they were designed and built by like-minded builders with similar design aesthetics, not because they represent the same place at different points in history.

Hope this helps,

Spyware

Hey all, due to some.... plans, we are going to reschedule Wednesday's JP event, Not so Secret, to Thursday. We plan to give more details once things are set in stone, but for now, let's say we'll try to keep the night hot in anticipation for the expansion.
Ouch. Was looking forward to it but I'm gonna miss everything you guys are planning then. Stupid time zones :(

Emitan

*pokes my head in*

omg hi i haven't really been posting here

i can't believe how close HoT is!!

*ducks out*

EDIT: How are we deciding which guild hall to claim? Vote?

*pokes my head in*

omg hi i haven't really been posting here

i can't believe how close HoT is!!

*ducks out*

EDIT: How are we deciding which guild hall to claim? Vote?
We putting gold into the guild bank to decide. You can put 1-5g into one tab for precipice or the other for hollow. The gold that is raised by the voting will be used for buying our guild hall and upgrades, etc.

Dunlop

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/wiki/returningplayers

If you're in exotic gear on both, you'll just need to adjust your specialization (there was a balance update not long ago that changed how traits work) and that's about it. If you have any laurels or guild commendations you can grab some ascended accessories, but you'll be alright without them honestly.

There's a bunch of ascended accessories (with the semi-rare Sinister stats), a unique set of armor (Carapace Set) that can be upgraded to a glowing version (Luminescent Set). Also lots of cool fights and encounters, some major plot points, character development, lore, etc.

Really comes down to how invested you are in the story, how much of a completionist you are, etc.

thank you!

Proven

Today I learned that playing PvP in the morning is literally twice as easy as playing it at night. Players at night are just a lot... better. But I'm going to stick to the morning for now to level up some tracks before HoT...

Spyware

It should be at the same time as Wednesday :( If you cant make it I can do it with you today or tomorrow whenever you are around!
That's 3am for us eu plebs ;) Wednesday worked because I don't have stuff I need to do on Thursday, but I can't stay up on Thursday because we need to run some errands first thing in the morning and hurry home to HoT release (9am) on Friday. So early night on
Thursday, sadly.
I don't really need to do it, I just wanted to help others through and have fun with the guild. But there are other opportunities for that! :)

Gawd, I don't care about HoT at all atm btw :D I just want Halloween!

Spyware

I care about HoT because the game will become way better with the Action Cam in regards to the Steam Controller.

But that's not HoT, just the update. I also want that update reaaaaal bad. Pet change, Action Camera and other nice stuff ofc! It's the specific expansion content that can wait two weeks, I don't care about the new zones, the elite specs and the story. I want the QoL stuff and Halloweeeeeen.

So, as a person who doesn't pay enough attention to what goes on in this thread, can I get a quick summary of all the global changes? Basically everything isn't "hot" itself?

I heard something about minions/pets/turrets getting buffed, the Action Camera, but don't know what else to expect.

spiritfox

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/656410015591460864

Guild Wars 2 Twitter said:
Today we will be looking at the profession specializations with the help of some of our partners. Starting at 8am PDT on our Twitch channel!
kNvQ4sJ.jpg

edit: Speaking of...

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...tions-how-many-hero-points/page/6#post5627999

Unlocking your elite spec is a training line in your training panel that costs hero points. You do need to have trained all the existing training lines before you’re allowed to put hero points into your elite spec.

If you’ve got all the hero points in the existing game you’ll have enough to train about half the elite specialization training line on launch day. The rest you’ll need to earn in the jungle or via the new system Tyler outlined yesterday from WvW. The number of points to fully train your elite spec is higher than other training lines – but hero challenges in the jungle are worth 10 points each, so it’s not actually as big as it appears.
It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

You only need 60 hero points to begin using your elite spec, the points you spend after that continue to unlock more skills, traits, skins, etc.

Again, hero challenges are worth 10 points each in the jungle. So no you don’t need to go do 200-400 jungle challenges.

Fishious

I'm already seeing rage in the official forum, but this seems reasonable. As much as I'm sure people will want to play the elite specs right away, I expected them to have a pretty significant progression element. Just like all the xp changes made to accommodate masteries, I figured there would be some catch somewhere to prevent people from grabbing them right out of the gate.

This also addresses how they'll probably do future elite specs, as they'll likely introduce hero challenges that offer more than 1 point each so each elite spec can cost the same amount without having to actually design hundreds of new hero challenges.

I'm already seeing rage in the official forum, but this seems reasonable. As much as I'm sure people will want to play the elite specs right away, I expected them to have a pretty significant progression element. Just like all the xp changes made to accommodate masteries, I figured there would be some catch somewhere to prevent people from grabbing them right out of the gate.

This also addresses how they'll probably do future elite specs, as they'll likely introduce hero challenges that offer more than 1 point each so each elite spec can cost the same amount without having to actually design hundreds of new hero challenges.

The rage in this case is not really the number of points, but the fact that alot of people did not know how it was done. If we knew, then maybe some of us gone have planned better and get more skill points.

Wanderer5

Sheesh 400 points? My engi is halfway there for Scrapper, but getting Herald up and running is going to take quite a bit it seems heh. I play WvW alot through, so it probably won't be that bad.

Fishious

The rage in this case is not really the number of points, but the fact that alot of people did not know how it was done. If we knew, then maybe some of us gone have planned better and get more skill points.

The latest update in the thread from Colin mentions that there are enough Hero Challenges in Maguuma to get your elite spec even without any core Tyria ones. So getting the Tyria hero points gives you a head start, but seems to be more effort for less progress (assuming the Maguuma skill challenges aren't totally crazy).

Proven

Ouch. And you can't earn Hero Points in PvP, only WvW. They just know how to get me...

I'll be in the jungle looking for map completion on at least one character. The only other issue is that just unlocking an elite mastery means that you lose most of a traitline if you want the weapon and profession skills right away. While this makes a cool role playing event out of slowly gaining your spec, god damn is this painful.

Don't forget that for level 80 characters, you'll get Mastery XP right away, even if you don't go into the jungle. You still need to go to the jungle before you "level up" for that experience to be put towards unlocking a Heart of Maguuma track, however (based on beta experiences).

Also, 20-40 hero challenges confirmed. I'm hoping that there are 40 total in there, so if you leveled your character through mostly PvP tokes or WvW (as I did with four) you could realistically go straight into the jungle if you felt like enjoying the story on a different character than your PvE one (as I would wish...).

Edit: Above post means 40 hero challenges confirmed!

Edit:

You know, after the WvW post yesterday worrying about not being fair to PvE, I'm fine with them saving this information for the last minute. As even a playing ground as can be. Or maybe I'm just becoming a mean person.

Edit: Oh yeah, hero points don't matter for PvP outside of the unique skins. I still wanted the Chronomamcer Shield though!

The latest update in the thread from Colin mentions that there are enough Hero Challenges in Maguuma to get your elite spec even without any core Tyria ones. So getting the Tyria hero points gives you a head start, but seems to be more effort for less progress (assuming the Maguuma skill challenges aren't totally crazy).

True, but that also means you dont have access to the elite spec for quite a while. You more or less have to grind HOT maps. NOw if we had known sooner, I could have gotten a significant amount of my hero challenges done in the vanilla map.

added: Let's say you have multiple character, then you are even more screwed.

Proven

I'm assuming at the very least that the WvW method is account bound aka a currency. So that's something at least.

...I just theorycrafted a Dire set with my Guardian for WvW. Will use if Dire Amulet gets added to PvP, lol.

This also means that if I don't like an elite spec much, or would only use it in PvP for some weird reason, I'm better off saving the points for the next elite, lol.

Then the data mine isn't a place holder, the Elite specs will require 250 HP...

Jira

It works just like any other training line - except all the skills, traits, skins, abilities, etc. are all inside one full training line that costs 400 points to get everything in the entire line. It costs 60 points to unlock and be able to play as the elite specialization itself.

Currently anyone who has done all the hero points in the world has about half of the entire elite spec line unlocked on day one. Hero challenges in the jungle are worth 10 points each, so you'll only need to do about 20 hero challenges in the jungle [or via the new WvW system] to have everything related to your elite spec trained.

There are enough hero challenges in the jungle to train your entire elite spec and not do the challenges in core world if you wish - they simply speed you up if you've already got them.

From Colin

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2..._we_will_be_looking_at_the_profession/cw6gt87

Fishious

True, but that also means you dont have access to the elite spec for quite a while. You more or less have to grind HOT maps. NOw if we had known sooner, I could have gotten a significant amount of my hero challenges done in the vanilla map.

added: Let's say you have multiple character, then you are even more screwed.

Depends on how you define grind I suppose. In the context of a single character I wouldn't consider it a grind because you don't have to repeat any of the content at all. For multiple characters, yeah, it could get tiresome. It depends on how they do it though so I'll hold off judgment until this weekend. If the challenges are hidden at the end of event chains or world bosses I'd imagine it would be pretty fun even after several repetitions. I weep for Spyware though.

I agree that getting this info from an official source sooner would have been better. However going by the data mining (which I've posted about before) we knew it would take more than the amount of skill points available in game right now (assuming you already unlocked everything) so it has at least been known among the online community that skill points would be needed for this. The shocker is that people can't have everything the second they log in.

Edit: I'm going to guess the reason we didn't hear about it earlier is because it was in flux until recently. Given that the datamining from a few months back is incorrect, they've probably been messing around with it a lot. So yeah, I would have liked to know this earlier, but imagine the rage if they had announced it and then changed it last minute.

Then the data mine isn't a place holder, the Elite specs will require 250 HP...

Nope, it was. It requires 400 sp. It's just that the maguuma hero points give 10 per challenge.

spiritfox

I expected the high cost, after all, they want something to work as progression at max level in addition to masteries. And I expect it to be fully unlocked fron the start for PvP like the rest of the specializations, so if you play PvP mainly it doesn't matter.

Quenk

Don't forget that the specialization lines include the skins so you probably won't have to do everything to access all skills and traits.

Fishious

Something is happening at the Lions arch bank next to the MF .

Went there myself and can confirm something is there .

It only appears when aproaching it and then disapears right after but in a way that i can be sure this is not a glitch .

Yeah, I expect Mad King Thorn to Kool-Aid man out of there and then we can donate to repairing the bank and watch it get partially rebuilt over several months before Lion's Arch gets blown up again.

Jira

This whole elite spec unlocking thing by the community reads like this:

"You mean I have to actually play expansion stuff in order to unlock expansion features? I don't just get it handed to me as soon as I login? Waaaaaaaaaaaaah". All you have to get is the hero points in the jungle and hell you don't even need all 400 to unlock the skills, traits and weapons. Overall getting the hero points in HoT is going to be a hell of a lot faster considering you only have to get 40 across 4 maps instead of hundreds of points across many maps.

Zeroth

This whole elite spec unlocking thing by the community reads like this:

"You mean I have to actually play expansion stuff in order to unlock expansion features? I don't just get it handed to me as soon as I login? Waaaaaaaaaaaaah". All you have to get is the hero points in the jungle and hell you don't even need all 400 to unlock the skills, traits and weapons. Overall getting the hero points in HoT is going to be a hell of a lot faster considering you only have to get 40 across 4 maps instead of hundreds of points across many maps.

Ehh, I can understand the initial reactions. People were concerned about having to do all hero points in the world before unlocking the elite spec, but Colin clarified you can use just maguuma points to do it. That said, keep in mind points will be lockee behind masteries too, so maguuma points could end up harder to do without masteries.

Depends on how you define grind I suppose. In the context of a single character I wouldn't consider it a grind because you don't have to repeat any of the content at all. For multiple characters, yeah, it could get tiresome. It depends on how they do it though so I'll hold off judgment until this weekend. If the challenges are hidden at the end of event chains or world bosses I'd imagine it would be pretty fun even after several repetitions. I weep for Spyware though.

I agree that getting this info from an official source sooner would have been better. However going by the data mining (which I've posted about before) we knew it would take more than the amount of skill points available in game right now (assuming you already unlocked everything) so it has at least been known among the online community that skill points would be needed for this. The shocker is that people can't have everything the second they log in.

Edit: I'm going to guess the reason we didn't hear about it earlier is because it was in flux until recently. Given that the datamining from a few months back is incorrect, they've probably been messing around with it a lot. So yeah, I would have liked to know this earlier, but imagine the rage if they had announced it and then changed it last minute.

Nope, it was. It requires 400 sp. It's just that the maguuma hero points give 10 per challenge.
Rarely do people only have 1 character so.... Yes, it is a grind. And it seems an unnecessary grind, which is the sad thing.

Secondly, people have to make a choice. Either rush through the new content to full unlock elite spec or be without. To some people no big deal, to others who bought the expac solely for elite spec, well it sucks to be you.

Ehh, I can understand the initial reactions. People were concerned about having to do all hero points in the world before unlocking the elite spec, but Colin clarified you can use just maguuma points to do it. That said, keep in mind points will be lockee behind masteries too, so maguuma points could end up harder to do without masteries.

Keep in mind that the only way to get all 40 hero points is possibly by running through the map aka burning through the content. This is a bad idea purely from that stand point. Far more people who would have taken their time will feel compelled to run through the new content just to get their elite spec.

Developers should not actively get player to run through their content especially MMOs since it punishes them in the long run.

Colin said you could get everything done without needing the core game, so while some of them locked behind mastery, so I am guessing there will be 20 HC(for those of us who already have 200 HP) that won't require a single Mastery to access..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom