• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

*looks over longingly at my bottle of capsaicin and vinegar*

funyuns-flamin-hot.png

Got a bag of these babies

Newsflash: MMOs are grindy. Guild Wars 2 does a better job than most because almost anything that requires actual grind is aesthetic. Legendary weapons, skins, certain achievements, etc. The only thing that requires grinding that actually gives you an advantage is Ascended gear but even that isn't absolutely necessary for any content.

The issue here is that acquiring elite specializations will 'feel' grindy to some because gamers have already played the hell out of their toon and just want to try out the new specialization for a spin on how the class plays. They have theory crafted and want to tackle the new content with their new build. Instead they will have to hunt for hero points en masse to quickly get that new trait line. Many will ignore much of the content to farm HP for this reason. Now what can invalidate the previous comment and what's missing from much of the rage comments is something already brought up, that Anet said you didn't have to unlock the whole thing to get the skills and traits. If you unlock those with 60 HP or close to it, it's not going to impact much at all and people will quiet down.

usea

That's fair, like Kanik pointed, MMOs use grind techniques by default. But even then, when you consider the genre, I think it's safe to say that GW2 is very successful in making these grinds up to you, and not part of the game experience itself, which is my original point.
Yeah I agree in general. I think it's mostly successful in that respect, and it works well. I don't think the hero point grind or mastery grind are doing a great job of following in that spirit, but given the grindy nature of the genre I think most people will be fine with it.

As a thought experiment: Would GW2 be better or worse if HoT let you make instant level 80s with all masteries and training done? No more leveling and training if you didn't want, by checking a box at character creation.

Now what can invalidate the previous comment and what's missing from much of the rage comments is something already brought up, that Anet said you didn't have to unlock the whole thing to get the skills and traits. If you unlock those with 60 HP or close to it, it's not going to impact much at all and people will quiet down.
This is how I read it too. It sounds like for many people, they'll be able to unlock the traits and skills immediately on characters they've played a lot, but they'll have to play in the jungle to finish out the runes, skins, whatever other junk they're locking behind training. It doesn't sound super awful, although I question why they even bothered with all this. Must be some design considerations to try and keep players playing.

Fishious

Newsflash: MMOs are grindy. Guild Wars 2 does a better job than most because almost anything that requires actual grind is aesthetic. Legendary weapons, skins, certain achievements, etc. The only thing that requires grinding that actually gives you an advantage is Ascended gear but even that isn't absolutely necessary for any content.

The issue here is that acquiring elite specializations will 'feel' grindy to some because gamers have already played the hell out of their toon and just want to try out the new specialization for a spin on how the class plays. They have theory crafted and want to tackle the new content with their new build. Instead they will have to hunt for hero points en masse to quickly get that new trait line. Many will ignore much of the content to farm HP for this reason. Now what can invalidate the previous comment and what's missing from much of the rage comments is something already brought up, that Anet said you didn't have to unlock the whole thing to get the skills and traits. If you unlock those with 60 HP or close to it, it's not going to impact much at all and people will quiet down.

I believe they actually said you'd need 60 HP to unlock it in the first place. Presumably this means it unlocks the elite specialization line and gives the minor adept trait which gives you access to your weapon and altered class mechanics. It will presumably be many more points to unlock all the traits, skills, and skins. Another reason I say we should wait before loses our minds about it is because the actual unlock order of these things will greatly affect the usability prior to full unlock. If the first things are the traits then the elite spec should be fully workable and you can use other heal/utility/elite skills in the mean time. If you don't have the full trait line until way into it, then it's not worth losing one of your current specializations until you hit that point.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I miss my free time I want to play more.

Also spicy stuff is great I have some Blair's 2am and 3am we can crack open one day I am too scared to try alone

Ashodin

I absolutely don't mind unlocking the Dragonhunter instead of having it immediately available; there is going to be SO MUCH content to deal with on launch that it will feel overwhelming (and likely, we will have tons of people asking questions left and right).

MMOs NEED elements in the game that take substantial time to achieve. It's the one genre where gamers are reasonably expected to play for 100+ hours and many play for hundreds and hundreds so there needs to be something for them to strive for. I personally just love being in the world but at the same time, I need something to do and I took that long spectacle because I had achieved everything worthwhile at the time outside of creating a Legendary weapon. Now there is Ascended gear to craft, Raids to do, Mastery(s) to master, a new class to try out, new worthwhile zones to check out, world bosses, Fractals restructured so they're less cumbersome so I'll likely get into that again, Legendary armor and new Legendary weapons coming. GG ANet, I'm back in Tyria for another long haul!

Some of ya'll complaining about grind, have no idea what grind is, trying creating 5 Legendaries in 1 year, all of them one after another...to me this Elite spec thing is nothing..

Fishious

I think we may have come to the natural end of the elite spec discussion so it's time for Spice Wars 2.

I just had some beef jerky with habanero hot sauce so I'm good now. Bracing for incoming "I guess that's spicy enough for babies" post.

Soulflarz

Banned
I mean, I guess you'll be okay with that. It bothers me when people call that spicy though, it needs to be at least 750,000 scoville to be spicy.

Yes I'm jokingly being hypocritical about my previous statement before someone asks :V

(In all serious, I think habanero sauce is supposed to be hot? The chef at my dorm thought I was bluffing and made my meal cooked in habanero sauce and added some at the end...then I asked for more because I got no feeling out of it :/)

Retro

Just did a pre-expansion culling since we were at 489 members. Trimmed it down to 400 even, the cut-off was about 3 months inactive. As usual, if you're reading this and are no longer in the guild, please know that it's nothing personal, just housekeeping. Post your name.#### in the OT and we'll invite you right back, no questions asked.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Pls

Those have no spice ;-;

I need ghost chili to fufill my near-insatiable desire for spicy foods.

lCBmco7.png

I have crazy high tolerance for spice and need to eat like 30 chips in 10 seconds for it to give me a kick. But it is a kick.

I generally stick to Indian or Thai food, asking for it to be very spicy, if I'm seeking spice.

Soulflarz

Banned
lCBmco7.png

I have crazy high tolerance for spice and need to eat like 30 chips in 10 seconds for it to give me a kick. But it is a kick.

I generally stick to Indian or Thai food, asking for it to be very spicy, if I'm seeking spice.

I-is it weird family was at trader joes and told me they picked these up for when I come home >_>

5 hours ago

:V

Shanlei91

I-is it weird family was at trader joes and told me they picked these up for when I come home >_>

5 hours ago

:V

I'm spying on you.

Just did a pre-expansion culling since we were at 489 members. Trimmed it down to 400 even, the cut-off was about 3 months inactive. As usual, if you're reading this and are no longer in the guild, please know that it's nothing personal, just housekeeping. Post your name.#### in the OT and we'll invite you right back, no questions asked.

RIP IHazSoup

Shanlei91

I literally thought to myself "Wait, wasn't I supposed to do something special for HazSoup?" right after I kicked them, then asked Zeroth and he reminded me what it was. Sorry I stole your fun. =(

Somewhere she's laughing at me now.

Colin;
It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.
You only need 60 hero points to begin using your elite spec, the points you spend after that continue to unlock more skills, traits, skins, etc.
Again, hero challenges are worth 10 points each in the jungle. So no you don’t need to go do 200-400 jungle challenges.

Which means, that if you have zero hero points when you enter the jungle you only need to do 6 hero challenges (each rewarding 10 pts). Only 6. And then you can equip the new weapon/mechanic. That to me is the big deal about all this. I think people just want to be able to equip it. I don't think people mind working a bit longer to specialize for the deeper traits/skills in the elite spec.

So I am very happy with this:)

Shanlei91

Colin;

Which means, that if you have zero hero points when you enter the jungle you only need to do 6 hero challenges (each rewarding 10 pts). Only 6. And then you can equip the new weapon/mechanic. That to me is the big deal about all this. I think people just want to be able to equip it. I don't think people mind working a bit longer to specialize for the deeper traits/skills in the elite spec.

So I am very happy with this:)

It makes sense for the newbie accounts to not just be able to equip it. This is their own unique way of increasing the level cap without directly doing so (as that would overtly be a slap in the face to their initial mission statement). In the same way there are a million currencies in the game, Hero points are like an increase on the level cap. Following that nature, time put into the game = increase in strength. Being able to just equip it after downloading HoT, and never putting any time into GW2 prior, would be like using GameShark or GameGenie.

I guess the disconnect is that people are used to getting new classes/abilities, in other games, after putting money down. Where as ArenaNet is using it as a carrot on a stick.

Only in an MMO is it possible that I've run out of keys to keybind the new GW2 skills (F5, action camera, snap ground target, etc). I use an Orbweaver+Naga combo and I don't have any spare keys left over. I could buy a mechanical gaming keyboard but I just bought a compact 60% mechanical keyboard just for using the chatbox...argh. The other problem with using a full keyboard for both movement and chatting is that I would have to rebind all the skills (typically 1 through 0) to keys on the far right-hand keys to minimize redundancy. How are other people using MMO mice binding the F5 skill?

One option I haven't tried is to replace all my cheating macros from my thumb hatswitch (/wave, /bow, /s ty, run CoF1). I've only really used the last one over the past two years.

Only in an MMO is it possible that I've run out of keys to keybind the new GW2 skills (F5, action camera, snap ground target, etc). I use an Orbweaver+Naga combo and I don't have any spare keys left over. I could buy a mechanical gaming keyboard but I just bought a compact 60% mechanical keyboard just for using the chatbox...argh. The other problem with using a full keyboard for both movement and chatting is that I would have to rebind all the skills (typically 1 through 0) to keys on the far right-hand keys to minimize redundancy. How are other people using MMO mice binding the F5 skill?

One option I haven't tried is to replace all my cheating macros from my thumb hatswitch (/wave, /bow, /s ty, run CoF1). I've only really used the last one over the past two years.

I know that feel. Just adding a new F-key mucked up my Nostromo setup to the point where I've not quite recovered yet, and now even *more* keys.. I've no idea what I'm going to do. I might just bite the bullet and go 360 gamepad entirely.

spiritfox

I'm using a keyboard and I'm running out of usable keys myself. I have small hands and everything needs to be around WASD so I can reach them, so everything right of 5 is nearly impossible to reach in combat. I might need to have another round to changing around keybinds after HoT launches.

Shanlei91

Are you keyboard users running /wave emote shortcuts, etc. and that's the issue?

I'm fine on a controller so far. Albeit this may speak volumes for my in-game lack of socialization.

Confirmed I have 386 HP with Mes so could master Chronomancer with the quickness. I might do that at some point but definitely focusing on Rev first.

Morokh

Unlocking the new Specialization is basically the same thing as leveling from level X to level X+10 in any other MMO to unlock your new skills brought by the expansion.

I really don't see how it is that much of an issue.

Jira

Unlocking the new Specialization is basically the same thing as leveling from level X to level X+10 in any other MMO to unlock your new skills brought by the expansion.

I really don't see how it is that much of an issue.

This is pretty much the way to look at it. You had to level up to unlock XYZ spec for the normal class, why would elite specs work any differently? It's almost as if people don't want to actually do anything to earn something.

Emitan

1-5 for weapon skills and Shift 1-5 for right side skills for me. I can't reach past the 6 key and really don't even like reaching for 6.

Retro

Headed to bed, having a lot of fun working on the new OT. I love it when ideas cascade into each other and something you thought was just "sort of neat" ends up being really awesome just by coincidence.

It's going to use the coloring book theme again, but there's a lot of new stuff I want to do and one of them is just... fantastic. Can't wait for you guys to see it, I'll probably make the new thread on Thursday, early in the morning or something.

1-5 for weapon skills and Shift 1-5 for right side skills for me. I can't reach past the 6 key and really don't even like reaching for 6.

I use Q for 1, 1-4 for 2-5, R as 6, ZXC as 789, and T as 0, with other binds for function skills. It's weird, but I've been doing it ever since I got the game and it works for me.

Indignate

6 - 0 are Q, Z, X, C, and E respectively.

F1-5 are my lower mouse button, upper mouse button, alt+lower, alt+higher, and mouse well click.

Action cam is a key toggle right, not an options one? I'll probably throw that on left ctrl since that is just my wield weapon button right now and serves no real purpose.
I'm ready to map Alt+ with anything else if need be.

zanyu

I'm using a keyboard and I'm running out of usable keys myself. I have small hands and everything needs to be around WASD so I can reach them, so everything right of 5 is nearly impossible to reach in combat. I might need to have another round to changing around keybinds after HoT launches.

I have small hands too, I can give you a list of keybinds that I use in mmos.

` Q E, R, T
S G
Z, X, C, V,

Middle mouse click
Mouse Button 3, 4. (if you have a mouse with extra buttons to press)

Then varieties of these keys with Shift + *Key* and Ctrl + *key*

You can also use Shift + Spacebar as keybind. (I refrain from doing this due to my habitual nature of constantly jumping in WoW. Although in this game it seems to reset my auto attack. So I'm learning to stop.)

In this mmo I've actually rebinded the back pedaling cause it has some uses, where as in WoW, it was completely pointless. (At least pvp speaking)

Quenk

Confirmed I have 386 HP with Mes so could master Chronomancer with the quickness. I might do that at some point but definitely focusing on Rev first.

You must not have unlocked everything else if you have that many hero points. You need to have everything unlocked before you can unlock the elite spec.

It's probably because I'm more used to traditional MMOs, but the whole 20-40 hero challenges in the Maguuma Jungle doesn't seem grindy to me at all. Probably because I view the Elite Specializations as just new trait lines to experiment with, rather than an honest to God class change.

I can appreciate that people feel that it's a grind, but it just doesn't seem that way to me.

On another note: I've been leveling up a Mesmer over the past few weeks. At about lvl 64 now. I really like the new specialization stuff and how you're given more freedom as you level up.

Now that LMB is being remapped to Skill 1, I guess that frees up at least one button on my Nostromo, but I'm still sitting with a mapping issue.

My previous setup was this: Dodge and Jump on mouse thumb buttons, and my Nostromo:

vguCnNw.png

I originally had heal (6) where F6 is now, but when F5 (remapped ingame to F6) was added, it kinda threw the whole balance off. I should be able to just do F1-5 on the top row now, with 2 through 6 on the second row, but no clue what to do about all the new action game / target lock toggles. Perhaps they'll be good enough to just leave them on all the time.

I swear, I need footpedals.

Rawk Hawk

Headed to bed, having a lot of fun working on the new OT. I love it when ideas cascade into each other and something you thought was just "sort of neat" ends up being really awesome just by coincidence.

It's going to use the coloring book theme again, but there's a lot of new stuff I want to do and one of them is just... fantastic. Can't wait for you guys to see it, I'll probably make the new thread on Thursday, early in the morning or something.

Awesome, do you plan to upload the blank ones again? Think Lucy may actually color them this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom