• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
My hype today is tinged with nostalgia. Despite all the wonders that we will be receiving, we'll also be losing something- a video gaming space in which I've spent more time and developed more memories than any I can recall. I'm referring of course to the WvW Alpine Borderlands map. My experience with this game has taught me its return is far from guaranteed. So here is my tribute to you, old friend:

ZiDElmT.jpg
This image was taken during BWE3. I had never played anything resembling WvW before; it was mind-blowing.

In the beginning no one really used siege weapons, so the best defense of a tower was your trusty rifle.

Proof that I was indeed once SBI and mercilessly slaughtered JQQ.

Stealth golem assault through the lake. The lake was removed years ago. I still have my giant pearls.

It was replaced by the ruins and the bloodlust mechanic, which really shone during the tournaments. The best fights were atop the SE node.

There was an alternative mechanic in place at launch. RIP GW2's version of Splatoon's Rainmaker mode.

The best keep fights were in Bay. Prevailing in a threeway like this requires incredible command and coordination.

The best keep to defend however was Hills. Just try to hold that lord room one more moment until reinforcements arrive...

And of course the keep that mattered most was Garrison (waypoint). A proper frontal assault took hours.

You could try to enter via Water Gate but it would be ugly if you're spotted.

Entering this way is not advisable.

Best to just bring overwhelming force.

The Citadel was the most underrated part of the map. It had a great physical presence and beautiful old LA-esque architecture.

Those banners are the enemies'. No it didn't help.

Conversely we probably won this fight by constantly running back. Loved those waterfalls.

Short of the plains between Garrison and Bay, this delta region probably saw the most full-scale, open field action.

This was an underrated open field area where terrain came into play.

Yes, we really engaged in water flights.

The boat inside of Bay was not a great staging area for an amphibious assault.

Impending doom (from a gate's perspective).

I got a little cocky during the brief Beastmastery era. That build was glorious.

God help anyone who ran into this pain train in a back alley.

Goodbye, Alpine WvW Borderlands! I'll miss you!

Zeroth

GUILD JUMPING PUZZLE HOT SENDOFF
Thursday, October 22, 8:30 PM
Jumping Puzzle: Not so Secret!
Extra activities in celebration for HoT!
Come do Guild Trek and all other Guild Missions as we prepare to enter the HoT season!

Not So Secret is one of the more infamous jumping puzzles in the game, so expect to be frustrated and on the verge of tears while trying and failing to succeed! After we get a good number of people through it, we'll do some guild missions with the folks who attended so we can kiss em goodbye. We'll also do a Guild Trek, something never done before in the history of GAF guild
in 2015
!

This is a once in a lifetime chance to hop into having some fun :) We hope people will be able to attend!

I've been so busy this week. I've been working for the last 24 hours and am so tired.. and still not done:(

I hope I will have the weekend to myself so I can play. I planned to use this week to get as many dry top/silverwaste achievements as possible. I worry that it will be hard to find good groups for that content in the future!

Proven

A set of prefix less ascended armor, I think, would be a great reward for Story mode. Something that people will have to put a BIT of investment into to get, but nothing too insane, to help out. Give it some lame ass skin that isn't as cool as the Illustrious Set to make sure there's still some incentive for making a regular set, or just one set per account.
I forget the recipe for Ascended, but in order to change the stats for the hypothetical story armor you'd need to at least make the inscriptions? Basically, does the hypothetical new armor really have to look ugly?

Quenk

I forget the recipe for Ascended, but in order to change the stats for the hypothetical story armor you'd need to at least make the inscriptions? Basically, does the hypothetical new armor really have to look ugly?

You need exotic insignias to stat change ascended armor.

No one has any clue if the more healer like classes are going to be more viable with the new expansion? Thinking of playing again and making a Druid eventually.

Arcteryx

No one has any clue if the more healer like classes are going to be more viable with the new expansion? Thinking of playing again and making a Druid eventually.

Possibly. Until the meta changes, the full blown healer build is likely not going to be very helpful (outside of PvP/WvW).

Gonna try to wake up early and play some, if possible. Then 11am HM King Fall raid in destiny, off to a party, and glorious return to GW2.

Hopefully.

And I see Retro can't leaf anyone alone, still!

Man, I somehow never looked at the weapon skins for the Arah dungeon rewards...They're pretty cool. Surprised I haven't seen more around and it makes me wonder if there are other dungeon skins I haven't glanced at. I know I looked at all the armors a number of times but clearly not weapons.

Possibly. Until the meta changes, the full blown healer build is likely not going to be very helpful (outside of PvP/WvW).

I could see people throwing a Raid team together with a Druid or two and everyone else goes all ham DPS.

Man, I somehow never looked at the weapon skins for the Arah dungeon rewards...They're pretty cool. Surprised I haven't seen more around and it makes me wonder if there are other dungeon skins I haven't glanced at. I know I looked at all the armors a number of times but clearly not weapons.

I could see people throwing a Raid team together with a Druid or two and everyone else goes all ham DPS.

to me it seems after the initial excitement about "healers" they will simply be replaced.

to me it seems after the initial excitement about "healers" they will simply be replaced.

I don't think it will so much be excitement but rather that people will get their ass kicked by the Raid initially and need healing and tankier builds to get past parts. After gamers have it all down and get better with the instances, they'll be able to go back to their zerker ways and won't need healers as they'll sustain themselves with boons, traits and better play. That said, I think synergy is going to really be a thing with Raids, a situation where you stick with your party all the time AND is difficult enough to really coordinate. We don't know all the synergies yet and for all we know a Druid could work particularly well with another classes traits and boons. I saw a video last night that showed how well Revs synergize with Reapers and a certain type of Ranger but I'm spacing what build.

Fishious

What new profession is everyone here going for first?

Probably druid or reaper. I'm actually more interested in reaper, but my ranger is my main so I'll probably be hopping back and forth between my ranger and necro so I can't say for certain which one I'll "max" first. Both have 214 HP and all my other lv 80 characters have at least 60 HP (with everything else unlocked) so actually unlocking the base elite specs will be trivial for me at least. That is assuming there aren't more hoops Anet is hiding up their sleeves.

Retro

OT is gonna be up momentarily.

I can't imagine the amount of work you've put into it. Thank you. I can't wait to see it!

It's not *that* much work since I'm using the current OT as the base and a lot of stuff just straight carried over. But I put in a few changes and new stuff.

So would that be a waxy crayon smell or is Retro going to blow our minds with scratch and sniff technology?

Waxy crayon with a hint of musty old magazine.

Retro

And this OT is already dead. The OT is dead, long live the OT!

Yeah, if a mod happens to pass by they can lock it up, if it's still live tonight I'll PM one.

This was a good OT, I wish the timing had been right and we would have been closer to the full 20k instead of just shy of 3/4ths done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom