• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I just started leveling a necromancer and im enjoying it so far but I was curious how their looking going into HoT? I remember reading their not very good in pve due to condition damage being hindered in pve. Also impressions on the new reaper spec? it looks like a lot of fun which is why Im leveling one lol. I have a lvl 80 guardian but I havent played in months, hopefully dragonhunter is fun.

Reaper does massive, massive damage damage and is quite tanky. It's awesome in PvE, but its somewhat selfish. Not as much team support/utility that other professions give.

EDIT: Also if you wanna use a Reaper Shroud build you don't need precision. You can go Valkyrie for extra health/life force.

Retro

I just started leveling a necromancer and im enjoying it so far but I was curious how their looking going into HoT? I remember reading their not very good in pve due to condition damage being hindered in pve. Also impressions on the new reaper spec? it looks like a lot of fun which is why Im leveling one lol. I have a lvl 80 guardian but I havent played in months, hopefully dragonhunter is fun.

Condition damage got a big boost in the last balance update (mostly because they removed the caps on a lot of them, like burning, bleeding and poison) and Reaper is a freakin' awesome elite spec, so... I'd say pretty good.

Is there a giant patch to download at the moment the game launches, or will it just unlock and the patch will download before then?

Not sure, but I would bet on there being something to download.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ash... your Funyuns may be Flamin' Hot, but I promise you, they've got nothing on these babies. lol
w2oaijR.png
they look scary cause the word dynamite is in another language

Minions, turrets, pets.. I CAN'T WRAP MY HEAD AROUND HOW GOOD THEY ARE NOW.

For the first time in my life I feel lonely as a warrior. Like.. I got nothing. I got a sword and I can get mad. woop woop. Ranger pets saved my ass 5 times while being downed in WvW last night (healing me while being closed to death in the middle of zerg). Pets used to be goddamn useless.

I don't know what they did to them but its awesome! Its like the pets ignore some of the AOE damage? healing turret also around for longer. harder to deal with damn mesmer clones and mesmer poop.

damn mesmers. damn rangers. damn everyone. damn dams. thinking they so great holding back that water.

Mxrz

The only change I read about was they take less damage from npcs that are not targeting them. Should still be same against players. Maybe its me, but ranger pets, necro minions, and gyros already feel tanky in pvp matches. They die if they're focused, but so do players.

Created my Rev's stuff tonight. With the increased prices, even ascended heavy comes in over 500 gold. Feel for anyone wanting to buy mats right now.

Is the gaf OT going to be spoilers sensitive? Going to flip off map chat, and avoid reddit after launch.

Retro

Is the gaf OT going to be spoilers sensitive? Going to flip off map chat, and avoid reddit after launch.

We talked about it in the Officer Lounge just yesterday, our feeling is that for as long as the OT is on gaming-side (OTs move to community after a month, give or take) we'd like story-sensitive stuff to be spoiler-tagged.

Obviously we can't enforce it but we can ask, and people have usually been respectful before so I hope they'll continue to do so now. Of course, it's gaming side, so... that usually flies right out the window, but we'll see.

I haven't played my guardian in a while. It's been Aegis since I last logged in.

uedk2.gif

Retro

A QA lead just tweeted this;
Tomorrow's #GW2 patch notes are probably going to be the size of Tolstoy's first edition of War and Peace. (source)

"Tomorrow" makes me think there will be updates tomorrow in advance of HoT, since it's still Wednesday on the West Coast. We'll see, either way... that's a lot of patch notes.

Unsubbing from the thread.

You may want to avoid the guild too, it can be rather pun-ishing.

Wanderer5

"Tomorrow" makes me think there will be updates tomorrow in advance of HoT, since it's still Wednesday on the West Coast. We'll see, either way... that's a lot of patch notes.

You may want to avoid the guild too, it can be rather pun-ishing.

Er how big was War and Peace?:p

And man so close now, holy crap.

Morokh

Which reminds me, I leave for work a bit before HoT is supposed to launch, if I leave the launcher open will the update automatically start ?

Would save me a lot of time for when I get back from work :D

swnny

With just 24 hours to go, I recieved my copy of the expansion.
Now, what should I do ingame to get ready for the launch? I mean stuff like spending all of X or get Y, because they will be gone?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
So much rage at elite unlocks on forum

One thing mmo fans are worse for is not knowing what they want. If they get what they want the goal post changes

Retro

Is this OT being retiered and we are starting from OT1 for HoT or once HoT OT gets moved to community we come back to using this one again?

The way I understand it, we treat it like a new release. The new OT goes into gaming side abd replaces this one and after a month it gets moved to community, at which point I would ask for a title change to "OT6."

One thing mmo fans are worse for is not knowing what they want. If they get what they want the goal post changes

Absolutely, and not just MMO fans. Gamers in general have no idea what they want, though they're convinced they know what's right, even over professional developers. The big one I always see is "I want something NEW!", but when they get it they bitch about how different it is from the games they already have.

To me, masteries and the elite specialization unlock are like the "leveling experience" for this expansion. I guess some people didn't really want that.

I mean, apparently you can just tome new characters up to 80 with the right amount of items. That's not something I would ever really want to do either.

Why shouldn't they bad mad. For lot of people arena net could have simply told us a earlier. People would have negatively reacted but at least had more time to get prepared.

Proven

The disconnect is that many people didn't expect to have to unlock Elite Masteries. Many expected not a journey but a quick buy in at the beginning so that they experience the new content as a new class. Technically, you can still do that, but you'll gimp yourself with most of a traitline locked away if you only buy the first minor trait.

So, the anger comes from this disconnect. ANet decided that they wanted it to be a journey and not an instant full unlock so bad that they even changed the hero challenge::hero point ratio for challenges in the expansion. And this is ANet; they definitely considered alts and felt it was worth it to have things be this way anyway.

Personally, I'm on the fence. There's only one class I wanted to full on tackle Heart of Thorns with as an elite. The elite for him (Dragonhunter) fits the build I've always tried to shoehorn so very, very well that I want to switch to it as soon as possible. But the main character I have for story is a different character, one where I'm only half and half on the elite with, and he's one that can benefit from the elite being a journey. And all my other characters but one can honestly just wait.

As a counter point to the usual arguments, you can only experience the content as new once, and it's likely going to be with a character you have world complete on. After that, if you come in with a different character, either you're going to be in the mindset of 100% every map, or will be picking and choosing what you're on each map for. In the latter situation, Masteries help immensely to get to hero challenges faster. And if you want the experience of using XP tomes to grind a character, you go into WvW over PvP this time (which is actually considerate; go to PvP where your level doesn't matter, then at max level go to WvW/Edge of the Mists where you'll likely not be a burden and all the PvP for those tomes will likely gift you enough gold to buy exotics out the gate).

Tangentially, does anyone know for sure if WvW unlocks Pact Tyria Mastery levels?

For many, this is going to be their first MMO xpac launch. My advice would be: be patient, don't try to do everything on the first day (hotfixes will flow like water), and turn off map chat.

Please please please update servers don't die on us as you have at some feature pack and living story updates.

If you bought HoT outside the game, I think you need to go into your account and activate your key. Everyone should check.

Wanderer5

Please please please update servers don't die on us as you have at some feature pack and living story updates.

If you bought HoT outside the game, I think you need to go into your account and activate your key. Everyone should check.

Doesn't seem like you need to. Just checked and it says HoT is active.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder. Not really planning on it but my cough might keep me up late enough to actually see the launch :S

I think I can work from home tomorrow though, soooo

I'm setting alarm for 2:30am, so I can be there when I goes live!!!!!

I wonder. Not really planning on it but my cough might keep me up late enough to actually see the launch :S

I think I can work from home tomorrow though, soooo
Working from home on a Friday is very suspect!

Proven

So, what's the over/under that the story rewards in Headt of Thorns will give you ascended armor pieces, so you can jump into the post-story raids immediately? What about as hard mode achievement awards?

Fishious

So, what's the over/under that the story rewards in Headt of Thorns will give you ascended armor pieces, so you can jump into the post-story raids immediately? What about as hard mode achievement awards?

I don't think there's been any word on that, though I'm a big fan of the idea. I enjoyed how the season 2 achievements were handled. Some of them in the first half were needlessly vague, but it got better. The hard mode or complete boss battles with specific constraints were probably my favorite. I think offering an ascended set attached to account based achievements would be a great way to get people prepped for raiding without massively devaluing ascended materials or totally deprecating current acquisition methods.

Jira

I could see them handing out a piece at the very end of the story then maybe a piece per full achievement completion per episode.

Colin came into both WP and Bogotter's streams and said that Anet is going to start streaming tonight prior to launch and will talk about pre-loading. He did not give any specifics when pressed.

Man, I know ANet has the best server infrastructure around but the last balance patch killed the update server for an hour. An xpack is going to murder it. Here's to hoping they're prepared and do somewhat of an early preload.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
On Friday I get home at 8ish est but I can check the thread on breaks and lunch. Tell me if cool things happen!! Probably gonna do Halloween first maybe but I am also curious about gem store items or sales

I highly doubt but would be quite pleased and surprised if we got any Ascended gear from story mode. At best, we might get some drops from the Raid boss drops which I think is fairly likely but I could see maybe having a unique set you unlock the way Jira said which would be cool. You'd think they'd have revealed it already though as we're one day away. I'll make sure to make all my Ascended weapons first so I can see what the options for obtaining Asc level armor are (and the Legendary set). I have two full exotics sets with different stats to start out with. It's a good thing I finally bit the bullet and bought that special pack that gives you two bank slots plus two bag slots and a few other items. I need the space! So much stuff sitting in there reserved for my Revenant haha Hurry up and exist so I can clear out the bank! I also at last grabbed an infinite mining and chopping tool which will be fantastic. First time I've made gem purchases. Oh yeah, snagged that Revenant mail carrier too with some excess gems. Thanks to how often I sell stuff on TP, I actually get plenty of mileage out of it ;P

Getting back into the game for HoT and would love an invite to the GAF Guild.

Username: Spire:5876

Leveling an engineer right now and I'll probably just stick with it. I'll be behind the curve since I won't be 80 by the time HoT launches but whatever. I'm not feeling my 80 Thief and the Engi elite spec looks sick.

shit's gonna break yo

Not that I mind, I got my legendary so I've got no reason to stick with the game.

I hope that at least Halloween will work, I won't be able to play until Friday afternoon so they might have fixes by then.

A set of prefix less ascended armor, I think, would be a great reward for Story mode. Something that people will have to put a BIT of investment into to get, but nothing too insane, to help out. Give it some lame ass skin that isn't as cool as the Illustrious Set to make sure there's still some incentive for making a regular set, or just one set per account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom