• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Just a quick question here (actually asking on behalf of a friend) but does anyone thing ANet will take advantage of bit mapping or any advanced texturing methods?

My friend wasn't too impressed with the overall graphics of the game for some messed up reason. I personally LOVE the aesthetics etc but he's in the mindset that Rift looks better & WoW apparently too because of the advanced texturing methods they use vs GW2.

I think using DX9 only in this build was at fault as well. Wouldn't having DX10 or 11 options available helped abit? I think AN will improve upon the graphics quality and performance in each build...but only evidence of that is on release, Guild Wars 1 looked really nice/better than most of the games out at that time.

I'm done with COD...for good. Actually pretty tired of FPS shooters all together.

You should give Bulletstorm a shot.

That's disappointing, but thanks for the info. Maybe they'll take pity and introduce some auto-leveling or something.

Well if everything is different/improved between every BWE, maybe it'll feel like a whole new game/wont be boring to go through the same scenarios again?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kayos just worry about yourself. If Artadius happens to get banned for mentioning that he was in the CBT then that's on him. He knows that.

Thoraxes

No, everything is getting wiped before launch.

Do you have a source/link for this? Are we on the same home server for the other BWEs?

99.99999% of MMOs wipe before launch...

This is pretty much the case with every beta. Everything is always wiped before release.

OK. I just was confused because this is the first beta i've been a part of that actually made use of server transfers, but it makes sense for them to test the service.

I mean, I know the wipes happen all the time, but I didn't know if it did some crazy account stuff or something is all.

Also I hope they allow for larger guilds.

- Better tutorials, specially for professions and WvWvW

I agree, definately...would be nice if they could put in some kind of class trainer who gives various little quests based on your class or weapon set. Maybe one of the guys in the Mists...

Funnily enough though, there was this little town outside of Divinity's Reach where you are helping the militia train. And in it you pickup a shield and block a guy's attack, or pick up a sword and attack a guy when his defense was down. Both worked as a nice tutorial for using those types of skills and is something everyone should probably learn. I think this town was in a level 10-15 zone.

KKRT00

Just a quick question here (actually asking on behalf of a friend) but does anyone thing ANet will take advantage of bit mapping or any advanced texturing methods?

My friend wasn't too impressed with the overall graphics of the game for some messed up reason. I personally LOVE the aesthetics etc but he's in the mindset that Rift looks better & WoW apparently too because of the advanced texturing methods they use vs GW2.

Tell me him that he is wrong and actually GW 2 has the best textures from any MMO i've seen.

I've even taken same shots when i was exploring areas :)

1UNxJ.jpg
pIN5w.jpg

8bxRl.jpg
XdrrY.jpg

8dZsC.jpg
mzzHu.jpg

sENwv.jpg
OeBm1.jpg

iuUud.jpg
tfZsU.jpg

ZV6GK.jpg

Characters textures

dxA1l.jpg
DzUZw.jpg

LkFeU.jpg
GrfN9.jpg

Ruk0e.jpg
YofLh.jpg

Teknoman

Tell me him that he is wrong and actually GW 2 has the best textures from any MMO i've seen.

I've even took same shots :)

For some reason it seems like normal screenshots are missing certain shadow/texture effects versus when you take high res shots.

Artadius

I've even took same shots :)

I don't normally agree with KKRT00 on NeoGAF... but when I do, it's about Guild Wars 2.

/MostInterestingManInTheWorld

I'm a sucker for games that have excellent concept art and then execute that concept art's look and feel in game.

Borderlands is another example of this excellent concept art to reality feel.

Quite a bit. Having an older system for this game is likely an asset, especially if you have a single-core processor, since that's all the game uses. It barely uses GPUs; I'm sure that part of that was them gathering playdata from users (I'm not sure if they have a way to track performance but it would be smart if they did) to optimize for common GPUs and go from there. Either way, it will not launch running anything like it did during this beta. Very few of us could run it properly with even a few players on-screen.

Then there's balance. The scaling seems to tip from moderate to crazy insane raid situations very suddenly, and it also leads to problems like having masses of enemies spawning behind you out of nowhere if, for example, a big group enters a cave behind you. You're likely already dead by the time you figure out what the hell is going on.

PvP/WvW need massive tuning. Melee is basically not viable for DPS. I doubt Anet will ship the game in such a state. PvE has the same issue but much less so, especially once you figure out dodging (fewer players than expected seemed to from the grouping I did).

The personal stories are scaled oddly as well. It seems like human players mostly finished their run; I played Charr and I heard from several Norn players the same story: You can end up hitting a brick wall where the difficulty scales too high, your AI partners get wiped, and you have no chance of taking out anybody. And because of level scaling, you can't grind your way out of the situation, so it's purely a balancing issue, or perhaps mastering some aspects of the game that many of us didn't figure out yet.

This was a good post. The game has very serious balance issues and doesn't give the player good feedback about what's killing them and how they can stop it from killing them. Some enemies just seemed to do insane damage, particularly whenever they applied a burning effect to me. Fighting multiple enemies at once is typically suicide, and the aggro system in the game feels janky and unpolished compared to standard MMO fare.

Fighting enemies with level advantages on you typically results in shitstomping of your face. This directs me to another problem: I was consistently underleveled in spite of doing every single event I could and every single area quest in TWO ZONES. I went through both the human and norn ones on my warrior and I was still underleveled. This is just fucked. The XP scaling needs to be rebalanced.

This would help with the problem of fighting enemies with level advantages, but there is still a problem with it: events tended to spawn enemies 2-3 levels higher than the listed level for the event. This is just plain unfair considering the way the game seems to give them advantages in damage. Also, scaling the player's level back to the area they are in is just plain fucking stupid. RPGs should never force that on you. It should be an option like sidekicking is in CoH/CoV.

The dodge system. It doesn't feel right. It feels laggy, it feels ineffective, I rarely know when to use it and it often doesn't work. The energy limitation on how often you can do it is very strict (probably for PvP balance purposes) which makes it feel utterly useless in PvE. Oftentimes fighting a heavily scaled up boss they will perform attacks that will instagib everyone in an AoE. In the first place, this is fucking bullshit. In the second place, they give you no indication that they are doing this whatsoever, so you don't even have a chance to avoid it even if you had somehow mastered the laggy, ineffective dodging system.

The PvE in the game just often feels unfair. You can use all your cooldowns, all of your abilities, all of your dodges and be left with nothing but an autoattack and still feel like you are insufficiently strong to handle basic challenges. There is a fine line to making a game feel challenging and making a game feel like fucking bullshit, and GW2 strays to the bullshit side. You'll find yourself in combat with enemies who respawn on your head and pound you into the dirt in seconds. You'll find yourself fighting groups of 2-3 enemies at a time that can't be split and pound you into the dirt. You'll find yourself up against veteran enemies in instances that scale your level, spawn multiple adds, and pound you into the dirt.

This isn't Dark Souls, it's a fucking MMO. I died more in this than I died playing Dark Souls because at least in that game I felt like the abilities at my disposal functioned properly and gave me a fighting chance if all fully utilized. This game just pisses me off.

forrest

formerly nacire
Looking to play a ranger at launch. Anyone have some first hand impressions on the class and how it stacked up not only in PVE, but in WvW as well?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This isn't Dark Souls, it's a fucking MMO. I died more in this than I died playing Dark Souls because at least in that game I felt like the abilities at my disposal functioned properly and gave me a fighting chance if all fully utilized. This game just pisses me off.
This is how I felt so I played strictly PVP all Sunday.

I hope they get this sorted out by release. During the first story mission, with the wealthy background chosen, I got 6 guys spawned on my head. They refused to break apart too, and the story would not progress unless I beat them. Spent 20 minutes trying to take one out at a time before getting squashed.

I'll agree with those saying there's no real sensation that you're doing damage, or receiving damage (despite the huge numbers popping all over the place).

It might not be the MMO with the most technically impressive graphics, but it's probably the best looking MMO I ever played. And I played a lot. There is more to visuals than just pure engine power. The art direction is amazing, the texturework is very solid and environment design is probably the best I have ever seen in a MMO.

And this is my opinion after spending the majority of the weekend with 10-30 FPS on very low settings. Can't wait for optimization to make some progress.

Game used all 4 of my cores.

It used 1 of my 4 cores for one of my machines and 1 of 8 for the other. Rather frustrating experience.

Arol

How often did you guys find your selfs weapons switching?

I wasn't at first but then realized the benefits of it. Eventually I started I carrying all the weapons I could use and trying different combinations in different zones.

Found out certain tasks to be much easier than staying in my staff 100% of the time, especially when you can see certain attacks enemies do in different zones. I'm not sure if there's a way to track it but I used them all pretty evenly and switched between them often enough. It was especially useful since I could use Staff, Scepter, Dagger, Warhorn, Axe, and Focus.

I do wish maybe we could get a 3rd underwater weapon. I did find myself only sticking to the Trident underwater since the Spear was hard to use.

99.99999% of MMOs wipe before launch...

So you're saying there's a chance!?

B16AAA11EFD5B733A07C18_Large.jpg

I had this problem at first, but if you change up your tactics with a warrior to be more of a jump in, get a few hits, jump out style it works well. Especially with the mace in off-hand as your "5" ability is a ranged knockdown attack that hits multiple targets in a line.

The balance still was not ideal, it takes a more action focused approach with warrior. Much more dodging and circle strafing.

Yeah, this works in smaller PVE battles, but even dodging and jumping in and out I'd still get reamed. Ah well, I had hopes that a melee could be awesome in large scale PVP but I really don't think it's going to be. But of course I'll have to play more and read more before making the final judgement call.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I've been following this game for a bit, but I don't have a computer that can run it at the moment and I was busy this weekend anyway, so I didn't prepurchase.

How was the bow for the Warrior? From what I read I was thinking it'd be really cool to do some AoE stuff in big WvWvW battles, did anyone try that and did it work out well?
I was using the bow for a bit on for defending the keep. I think it's normal to always overestimate the personal effect one has but I feel like shooting a fully charged burst skill and a skill 3 (the one that has lower radius but quite high damage) was pretty effective for an area denial. It's of course not in the league of oil but very useful.

The only problem was getting up to the max adrenaline, so I always seeked out pets or people that were just standing around to get my adrenaline up.

zlatko

Banned
So from what I remember with my very limited time with GW1, there was only sets of equipment for each class right? No crafting either if I recall.

Does GW2 have loot that drops or gears I can craft? It's fairly lame seeing the same equipment all the time in just different colors.

Absinthe

How often did you guys find your selfs weapons switching?

I wasn't at first but then realized the benefits of it. Eventually I started I carrying all the weapons I could use and trying different combinations in different zones.

I started doing this alot once I realized your skills on the other weapon set do not inherit cooldown. I would go sword/mace and then switch to hammer, and by the time I'm done with the hammer skills my skills for sword/mace have fully recharged. Worked great.

So from what I remember with my very limited time with GW1, there was only sets of equipment for each class right? No crafting either if I recall.

Does GW2 have loot that drops or gears I can craft? It's fairly lame seeing the same equipment all the time in just different colors.

Loot drops, you also get loot with karma for completing events. Tons of crafting items...I didnt delve into crafting at all though.

Torraz

I really liked the crafting. For instance it was fun actually using / equipping the items I was making to level the profession instead of only pumping them out mindlesly ot get to the endgame stuff. Also I appreciated the crafting timer being steadily reduced if one crafted large stacks of ingredients.

DJIzana

It might not be the MMO with the most technically impressive graphics, but it's probably the best looking MMO I ever played. And I played a lot. There is more to visuals than just pure engine power. The art direction is amazing, the texturework is very solid and environment design is probably the best I have ever seen in a MMO.

And this is my opinion after spending the majority of the weekend with 10-30 FPS on very low settings. Can't wait for optimization to make some progress.

It used 1 of my 4 cores for one of my machines and 1 of 8 for the other. Rather frustrating experience.

Aye, I feel this is the best looking thing too. Put some things like smooth edges or maybe even tessellation for high end users. Is that possible to add in something like that or just those that could support it graphically?

AH, here we go!

Finally provides some examples...

Comparing something like this

http://media-cache4.pinterest.com/upload/174021973071615257_9b6E2KI4_f.jpg

to this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/vhons/misc/2012-02-25_102858.jpg

I can see where he's getting at, granted those are 2 completely different environments but the land does look pretty flat. I think he wants to see more textures etc when it comes to actual field (not city) environments.

Edit: he's also wanting more from the reflections... when I changed the reflections I actually didn't really notice any difference myself but I noticed the option is at least there.

birdchili

how does thief combat feel compared to other classes? does initiative make it feel really different? do you feel you have a lot less obligation to be constantly watching cooldowns?

ForzaFerrari

Neo Member
No way it's November cause no way some company gonna keep people's money for that long without returning their product. This will damage Anet's rep a lot, imo. April till Nov is 7 months, people will enrage. And almost 1 year of beta is too long anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
how does thief combat feel compared to other classes? does initiative make it feel really different? do you feel you have a lot less obligation to be constantly watching cooldowns?
You're watching your initiative bar instead.

It's not that much of a difference, although having all your buttons available at any time as long as you have imitative is good, especially for kiting.

mbmonk

So what where your thoughts on the dynamic events?

I thought they were pretty boring, but I mostly was in the Norn starting area. Maybe they get more interesting as you get into different sections.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I used a Thief with a shortbow. It made me appreciate the combat system of GW2 more than the melee classes that I've tried before them. You have quite a few dodges so you can kill mobs without taking any damage.

From my experience a ranged class is better to start with and then you graduate towards a melee class because you will have less time to react in melee range and your character is obstructing the view to the mob(s).

I thought they were pretty boring, but I mostly was in the Norn starting area. Maybe the get more interesting as you get into different sections.
I thought they were great. It's a bit weird that there was such an extremely high emphasis on them to get exp in this build. I'm willing to bet that you can make more exp by leaving your own starter zone by going to a different one, doing a heart quest there and coming back and it'll give you more exp than continuously hitting mobs at one specific spot that isn't part of a DE.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
No way it's November cause no way some company gonna keep people's money for that long without returning their product. This will damage Anet's rep a lot, imo. April till Nov is 7 months, people will enrage. And almost 1 year of beta is too long anyway.
To be fair, they sold out of regular digital editions of the game and conveniently kept in stock their most expensive digital bundle just as the Beta weekend began for people who really wanted in and were willing to pay any price.

I think they're not above holding onto our money for a while.

birdchili

You're watching your initiative bar instead.

:)

i figure i might be able to count-out initiative in a way that i can't manage multiple cooldowns simultaneously (without gluing my eyes to the ui timers).

custom soundtrack with bpm exactly equal to my thief initiative regen, of course.

intuitively, thief seems really well-suited to one melee set and one ranged set, for the ole' in-and-out.

Helmholtz

I thought they were pretty boring, but I mostly was in the Norn starting area. Maybe they get more interesting as you get into different sections.
The quests marked by hearts, which I don't think are really dynamic events, were a bore for the most part. Consisted mainly of killing easy creatures and spamming the F key. The ones marked with shields, the escort ones, and the boss ones, which I believe are all "true" dynamic events, were typically fun for me. They are nothing really groundbreaking when you look at the tasks themselves, but the fact that whenever you saw one you know there would be other people there to help was a pretty cool thing.

JonCha

They've said 2012. They're not going to be rushed.

An on performance, the character creation screen was weird for me: some races (Norm) were spotty, whole Human was fine. Though to be fair I'm using a 2009 MacBook Pro, and could run it on the second to lowest setting. That's in beta, so hopefully it'll be even better on the final release.

TheYanger

Tell me him t
hat he is wrong and actually GW 2 has the best textures from any MMO i've seen.

Ehhhh no. the art is good but the texture resolution especially on characters is low. Wow actually IS better looking textually. Gw2 still looks fantastic.

Menelaus

Banned
Jesus, it didn't take long for the petty squabbling to kick in after the event! Usually I'd give it about a week until the afterglow wears off, but Kayos is all out of cigarettes!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
GW2 doesn't have the best graphics for an MMO. Honestly, it's great but not the best. The combination of art and technicality makes for a killer combination though.

As for DE, I break it down into 3 types.
1.) Series Events
2.) Group Events
3.) Random Events

The first one is fairly explanatory. It's also the most interesting as one event triggers the next event making it a thrilling and killer experience.

The second is much like a series event, however, it requires a group therefore adding in a challenge and a twist. These mostly revolve around bosses.

The last one is the most boring and weakest of the bunch imo. You just run into them and I feel like they don't matter at all and makes questing feel sort of pointless. It feels like a grind for experience. I just don't care for it.

The first two are the best imo.

EDIT: Also, I'm still sticking with November in the worst case scenario.

Jayge

I found that a lot of ineffective warriors were neglecting swapping and utility skills. Melee is certainly harder and scaling for events and other areas can be absolutely horrible but if you played and moved correctly nothing was too much trouble (with the exception of a few events, which were impossible).

There are times when the game simply doesn't allow melee play though: one event in the 15-25 Ascalon area involved a big motherfucking giant champion spawning in a town. It took some 40 people at least 15 minutes to bring it down, and nobody could get closer than 25-30 feet away from it without dying or coming close to dying. Other events suddenly spawn fuckloads of enemies and then make it impossible to dodge because they use skills or hit you with no breaks (which doesn't allow you to move properly) are impossible for close-up fighters too. I don't get how any of that was not found in playtesting and addressed, but I guess this is the first time when they've had the resources to load out events like that.

Also, IWAY was a priceless unlock.

Edit: I also played on max settings all weekend with few performance issues... what MMO has better graphics? RIFT might match it, but otherwise I don't see where that claim comes in.

kayos90

Also, out of all the races, the Charr have the best DEs out of all the races. Keffex Hills has some awesome series DEs but other than that Charr is the most entertaining and fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did anybody do The Frozen Maw? I saw it idling when I was chasing Moas yesterday, and I just found out one of my buddies not in GAF did it last night. His descriptions made it sound pretty damn cool for something a newbie zone.

kayos90

We get it. You picked a safe date for worst case scenario. Move on please!

Not until it's embedded in the minds of all users on GAF! Nah, I'm just really curious about other people's opinions on when the game could come out now that people had the opportunity to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom